What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Peter V'landys vows to bring back all three grades on footy game day.

The Great Dane

First Grade
By forcing all the NRL clubs to run reserves on game day he'll force most (if not all) NRL clubs to start their own reserve grade teams and that will suck all the talent out of the independent lower tier clubs. That will either effectively make the Q Cup and NSW Cup de facto NRL reserve grade comps, or at best a 3rd tier competition as they are replaced with an official NRL reserve grade, and will lead to even more money and opportunities sucked out of the sport outside of the NRL clubs and their markets.

In other words bye-bye Newtown Jets and Sunshine Coast Falcons playing in front of their own fan bases, hello Cronulla Sharks and Melbourne Storm reserve grade teams playing in front of maybe a couple hundred people whom aren't actually there to see them play anyway.

unforgiven

Bench
By forcing all the NRL clubs to run reserves on game day he'll force most (if not all) NRL clubs to start their own reserve grade teams and that will suck all the talent out of the independent lower tier clubs. That will either effectively make the Q Cup and NSW Cup de facto NRL reserve grade comps, or at best a 3rd tier competition as they are replaced with an official NRL reserve grade, and will lead to even more money and opportunities sucked out of the sport outside of the NRL clubs and their markets.

In other words bye-bye Newtown Jets and Sunshine Coast Falcons playing in front of their own fan bases, hello Cronulla Sharks and Melbourne Storm reserve grade teams playing in front of maybe a couple hundred people whom aren't actually there to see them play anyway.

I doubt that happens.

flippikat

Bench

Spot on. This move would basically demote NSW & Qld Cup competitions to 3rd tier below NRL firsts & NRL reserves. Under that setup I wouldn't be surprised if Sydney NRL clubs are allowed to still field teams in NSW Cup (or it's replacement).. so the likes of Norths, Newtown, Wenty & Mounties feel even more of a crunch.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I doubt that happens.
That's exactly what will happen because it's not feasible to have teams like, e.g., the Sunshine Coast Falcons playing on the Storm game days in Melbourne every second week.

Edit-

In fact I recon it might have already happened!

Since the Mounties signed with the Bulldogs the Raiders had been talking about partnering with a local club in a town like Goulburn or Wagga to run a NSW Cup team until a couple days ago when suddenly out of nowhere, after months of saying it'd be too expensive, they completely change their tune and launch their own NSW cup team.

Do you really think that it's just a coincidence that they radically change their tune like that and then a few days later V'landys is in the media talking about forcing clubs to have reserves on game day?

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
It’s how it used to be , fans want it this way again!
Maybe insular fans in Sydney whom have no understanding of the impacts that it will have on the sport outside of Sydney.

You've basically killed any hope that any town or city had of running a club in a meaningful competition outside of the NRL, and that will have massive impacts on the sport outside of the major cities.

T-Boon

Coach
It would be good if NSW & QLD cup became properly independent of the NRL clubs. That would be the best outcome of this.
My old B-League thread should be bumped. A break away part time lower tier. Outlaw all the professional dog shit the NRL clubs have produced. No agents, no wrestle, no Gould, no Bellamy, no Broncos. etc.

blue bags

First Grade
start a new league. the A GRADE NATIONAL LEAGUE
AGNL or ANL . only the strong clubs survive :)

unforgiven

Bench
That's exactly what will happen because it's not feasible to have teams like, e.g., the Sunshine Coast Falcons playing on the Storm game days in Melbourne every second week.

Edit-

In fact I recon it might have already happened!

Since the Mounties signed with the Bulldogs the Raiders had been talking about partnering with a local club in a town like Goulburn or Wagga to run a NSW Cup team until a couple days ago when suddenly out of nowhere, after months of saying it'd be too expensive, they completely change their tune and launch their own NSW cup team.

Do you really think that it's just a coincidence that they radically change their tune like that and then a few days later V'landys is in the media talking about forcing clubs to have reserves on game day?

They are not going to be flying reserve grade teams interstate, it is just not going to happen. What will happen is for example we will see Wests Magpies play Mounties etc before the 1st grade game.

The Great Dane

First Grade
They are not going to be flying reserve grade teams interstate, it is just not going to happen. What will happen is for example we will see Wests Magpies play Mounties etc before the 1st grade game.
Exactly!

If V’landys is going to force every NRL club to have three games on game day, which he says he is, then every independent club in the NSW and Q cups is on borrowed time unless they can find a way to support themselves and build competitive teams independent of the NRL clubs.

Even team’s like the Mounties are screwed, because there’s nothing in a NSW cup team for them if they are playing all their games as an opener for Canterbury at ANZ. They’d just be throwing stupid amounts of money down the drain to help fund the Dog’s reserves.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm not even sure how the womens comp will operate then. As they at late season are part of the game day. Will they just move to stand alone fixtures?

I think there may be some push back from the clubs on this as doing this will increase ground hire costs for each extra game added each week. For example I was speaking to a member of the (now) ANZ Stadium staff back in the early 2000s when the Bulldogs were playing home games there. The staffer told me that the stadium would charge the Bulldogs an extra $10,000 per week if they wanted the U/21s competition played at the ground with first grade.

Generalzod

Immortal
I think there may be some push back from the clubs on this as doing this will increase ground hire costs for each extra game added each week. For example I was speaking to a member of the (now) ANZ Stadium staff back in the early 2000s when the Bulldogs were playing home games there. The staffer told me that the stadium would charge the Bulldogs an extra $10,000 per week if they wanted the U/21s competition played at the ground with first grade.
geez i had it under the assumption the likes of Souths and Canterbury where paid to play at the ANZ.

Nealo 12

Bench
I thought they got a percentage of game day receipts so no extra cost to the club only to the stadium who may take a little more or maybe not with having more patronage ?

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I agree it could be problematic for those QLD / NSW Cup tier clubs.

In hindsight maybe they should have just left the NYC in place. It seemed to operate without detracting from the state comps. It was an extra game on game day. Not 3 but 2 isn't a bad compromise.