What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Wallace retires effective immediately

Injured Penrith Panthers skipper Peter Wallaces texts teammates of retirement effective immediately
PETER Wallace has rocked the Penrith club by retiring - effective immediately.

The Panthers captain and one of the game’s great role models, Wallace sent a text message to all his team-mates yesterday to tell them the news.

He was considering addressing the group in person, but knew he would break down while making the emotional announcement, so sent the text to get his message across.

The 32-year-old has been battling chronic knee injuries for years but has still be playing great football for the Panthers.

The struggle to train and get on the field every week has finally taken its toll and Wallace has decided to hang up the boots to take up a coaching role within the club.

He will, however, continue training in a limited capacity in case he is needed as an emergency player later in the season.

A Panthers junior, Wallace began his NRL career at the club in 2005 before moving to Brisbane, where he played six seasons, before returning ‘home’ in 2014.

His distinguished career includes four State of Origin games for NSW and four Tests for Scotland.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/06/12...rs-captain-peter-wallace-announces-retirement

age.s

First Grade
His second stint with us went so much better than expected. He was a revelation at hooker. It's easy to forget he was unlucky not to end up with an Origin call up last year. Absolutely thrived providing good service and tough as nails in D.

Thanks for your service Wal. All the best in the next phase of your life.

franklin2323

Immortal
His second stint with us went so much better than expected. He was a revelation at hooker. It's easy to forget he was unlucky not to end up with an Origin call up last year. Absolutely thrived providing good service and tough as nails in D.

Thanks for your service Wal. All the best in the next phase of your life.

All class off the field too. Even retiring was done to help the team. Could of dragged it out but instead gives us cap relief to put us in a better position going forward

Penrith Panthers General Manager Rugby League Phil Gould AM has released the following statement:

"Peter Wallace has informed the club and his teammates of his decision to retire, effective immediately.

"It's an incredibly selfless act from Peter. He always had great faith in the young players coming through our system here at Panthers and has played a huge part in their development as both footballers and people.

"Peter has been battling with injury for several years and has repeatedly played for the club with injuries that would keep the normal man home in bed.

"It can now be revealed that Peter has played the last two years with no ACL in his knee after his last knee reconstruction actually failed. Management and coaches knew of his condition, but he didn't want anyone else to know. I can also remember him staying on the field for 50 minutes in a game where he had completely torn his ACL. He is a tremendously tough individual and his leadership has been wonderful for our club.

"Peter will immediately take up a position on the coaching staff in our club. His experience and relationship with our players will be a wonderful asset for our program at Panthers. I can see Peter enjoying a long-term future in coaching at Panthers.

"He has enjoyed an outstanding playing career. He now moves into the next stage of his life and Panthers will always be here for him."

No-one can deny his toughness and team spirit.

tripster

Juniors
Thank you Peter for being a fantastic servant of the club.

Check out the NRL.com article. He played without an ACL for the past two years! That would probably explains a lot.

Penrith Panthers General Manager Rugby League Phil Gould AM has released the following statement:

"Peter Wallace has informed the club and his teammates of his decision to retire, effective immediately.

"It's an incredibly selfless act from Peter. He always had great faith in the young players coming through our system here at Panthers and has played a huge part in their development as both footballers and people.

"Peter has been battling with injury for several years and has repeatedly played for the club with injuries that would keep the normal man home in bed.

"It can now be revealed that Peter has played the last two years with no ACL in his knee after his last knee reconstruction actually failed. Management and coaches knew of his condition, but he didn't want anyone else to know. I can also remember him staying on the field for 50 minutes in a game where he had completely torn his ACL. He is a tremendously tough individual and his leadership has been wonderful for our club.

"Peter will immediately take up a position on the coaching staff in our club. His experience and relationship with our players will be a wonderful asset for our program at Panthers. I can see Peter enjoying a long-term future in coaching at Panthers.

"He has enjoyed an outstanding playing career. He now moves into the next stage of his life and Panthers will always be here for him."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/12/peter-wallace-announces-immediate-retirement2/

tripster

Juniors
All class off the field too. Even retiring was done to help the team. Could of dragged it out but instead gives us cap relief to put us in a better position going forward

I am curious as to how it helps our cap, given he wasn't on contract for next season anyway?

Is the assumption that him retiring means that he isn't paid the remainder of this year's contract (and instead paid as coaching staff for the remainder of the year), therefore leaving whatever he still had to be paid this year available to pay other players (or pre-pay part of someone's contract for next year)?

Luke Bowden

First Grade
All the best Wal, Tough as nails, club legend, top bloke and one of my all time favourite players.

I’ll definitely miss him, but I’m super glade he is staying on to continue having an influence on the boys.

Maybe a future head coach!

franklin2323

Immortal
I am curious as to how it helps our cap, given he wasn't on contract for next season anyway?

Is the assumption that him retiring means that he isn't paid the remainder of this year's contract (and instead paid as coaching staff for the remainder of the year), therefore leaving whatever he still had to be paid this year available to pay other players (or pre-pay part of someone's contract for next year)?

Pretty much that. 6 month playing contract off the books let's say $100k.

Anyone on contract next year we can pay extra this year. Putting next year's cap down meaning when we get slammed with rep bonuses.

The 4 SOO guys, CHN, DWZ, JFH and Whare in the Denver test. Chrichton, Egan playing 10 FG game. Goes on next year's cap so to get wiggle room allows us to keep a player we'd have to shed normally

franklin2323

Immortal
All the best Wal, Tough as nails, club legend, top bloke and one of my all time favourite players.

I’ll definitely miss him, but I’m super glade he is staying on to continue having an influence on the boys.

Maybe a future head coach!

Yep do a good apprenticeship so no one he played with is here. Then head coach

unKwn

Juniors
wow... I expected it to happen soon. but now that it's happened it's like overwhelming lol. he played with no ACL, what a f**king unit. I'll miss him on the field but hopefully the boys will lift for Friday and screw those roosters

Vicpanther

Juniors
i knew this day would come and it probably should have come last year but i am gutted. Wal in my opinion is one of the last of true rugby boys who play through anything and not afraid to get dirty.

Brilliant career and hopefully we can win the title for him this year.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
The most important signing of the 2nd Gus era.

The guy's toughness is what helped us go from a piss weak soft team to a heavyweight team with a bullet proof mental state. What he did in Bathurst against Cronulla will be talked up for years after we triumph with premiership wins in the near future. The guy's made all of our juniors cold blooded fu cking warriors who'd probably play through severed limbs just to get another win for the club.

Latest posts