What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

phil gould attacks the broncos' salary cap

DJ1

Juniors
Every team has a secondary salary cap of $300K for players outside of their top 25 who play an NRL game.

realredhillboy

Juniors
Ryan_Loves_Broncos said:
Phil Gould:blahb:
What a joke. Darren Smith is payed by Easts Tigers, and Ikin and Green are payed by Clydesdales. Clydesdales don't come under the broncos salary cap. Stupid Gould's a joke.

clydsdales dont come under the salary cap

what a brilliant way of cheating

goddam brisbane drongos hypocrite

realredhillboy

Juniors
JW said:
brenno said:
Why do you guys even bother getting so upset about what that wanker says? Here's a tip, don't listen to what he has to say or read his article's. Once you've done that you'll find that life isn't so bad afterall. As soon as i see Gould's ugly mug pop up on tele i either change the channel or just press the mute button.

:clap:

Cheers.

hey guys dont even try an argue with a broncos fan, they are so narrow minded its rediculous, broncos fans are alway ready to jump on the old bandwagon and bag of stewart gould and the roosters, [oh btw i dont care much for gould] but when you attack bennett,cullen or their team all hell beaks loose.

they believe they should be given special treatment

JW

Coach
What, I just said :clap:

Keep 'em coming big fella.

I knew you'd show up.

:lol:

Cheers.

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
I believe Ben Ikin is a Gold Coast junior.

As for the salary cap, what do you suggest we do? Not field a side? These guys have only been brought in because of our injury woes. Ben Ikin, Paul Green and Darren Smith have all been playing in the Brisbane Competition all season, just like the rest of the guys we have had to call upon. Whether or not they are past representative players or not is irrelevant. They all RETIRED from first grade footy and have been playing in the lower competition.

The Cowboys do have a 'reserve' grade team, Nth Qld Young Guns play in the Queensland Cup.

realredhillboy

Juniors
JW said:

I knew you'd show up.

Cheers.

and that is all you can say, because you i'm correct.
oh the poor little horsies... you should be able to anything you want [like reject the retro round] and all the other clubs can go screw themselves.

by the way darren smith plays for easts. dont easts have a feeder club other than the broncos?... i call that poaching

stacking our premier and lower grade teams.... how does stacking the clydsdales and ripping their best players out for the final [which they lost] what a low act

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Ryan_Loves_Broncos said:
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
I don't agree. The leagues club must be paying them something on the side... How can Ikin get $200 and spend $50 just driving to brisbane and back.....

Do you really think that Ikin is ONLY playing football. He is doing it out of loyalty to WB. Great to see. He has a full time job where he gets all the money he needs.

Loyalty my ass. Would you travel to Sydney for the weekend to play for $200 for your father in law? There would be a back scratch back. You can count on it.

realredhillboy

Juniors
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
Ryan_Loves_Broncos said:
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
I don't agree. The leagues club must be paying them something on the side... How can Ikin get $200 and spend $50 just driving to brisbane and back.....

Do you really think that Ikin is ONLY playing football. He is doing it out of loyalty to WB. Great to see. He has a full time job where he gets all the money he needs.

Loyalty my ass. Would you travel to Sydney for the weekend to play for $200 for your father in law? There would be a back scratch back. You can count on it.

poor little horsies it really does hurt when your on the recieving end doesn't it

When you have had such a an injury prone career as Ikin I'm sure he cherishes every minute of first grade football he can get. He doesn't care about the money. That's for the roosters players to worry about.

t-ba

Post Whore
rossy said:
t-ba the hutt said:
rossy said:
Smith, Green & Ikin played al of their grade football with the Broncos. They should be given a concession on that basis.

Hang on, none of them did... But they're still very loyal... LOL

Loyal to the Region. Maybe if the Crushers and the Chargers were still around, it'd be a different story.

Green played with Easts, Parra, Cronulla and the Cowboys.

Smith played with Canterbury and St Helens.

Ikin came into grade via the North Sydney Bears!

Which part of the region is that?

It's called South East Queensland. They all live there and have ties with the Broncos. Comprende?

Ikin came to grade with the GC ;-)

Razor

Coach
The Cowboys do have a 'reserve' grade team, Nth Qld Young Guns play in the Queensland Cup.

That's the Cowboys own side so all players can come under the cap if they're in the top 25. The Broncos only have an affilaite agreement with Toowoomba, so only the Bronco contracted players can come under the cap. The Toowoomba signed players cannot come under the Broncos cap.

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
realredhillboy said:
JW said:

I knew you'd show up.

Cheers.

and that is all you can say, because you i'm correct.
oh the poor little horsies... you should be able to anything you want [like reject the retro round] and all the other clubs can go screw themselves.

by the way darren smith plays for easts. dont easts have a feeder club other than the broncos?... i call that poaching

stacking our premier and lower grade teams.... how does stacking the clydsdales and ripping their best players out for the final [which they lost] what a low act

And who were the Broncos supposed to use? Ask any of the players who they would rather play for: Brisbane or Toowoomba. Clydesdales = Broncos reserve grade. That is the breaks, and to be honest the Clydesdales have no one to blame but themselves for the loss yesterday. Up by 16 with 10 minutes to go.

gregstar

Referee
Strange!!! Where's sMelon? When the roosters whinge & whine sMelons usually sniffing around!

Grantwhy

Juniors
Razor said:
What a joke. Darren Smith is payed by Easts Tigers, and Ikin and Green are payed by Clydesdales. Clydesdales don't come under the broncos salary cap. Stupid Gould's a joke.

Ikin gets $2000 a game
Green gets $200 a game

That's Broncos payments. So that does come under the Broncos salary cap

But that's what Gould was saying. The NSW clubs(except Penrith) and North QLD have teams of their own in lower grades, so all of the players can come under the cap. The other clubs don't have that, their lower grades can sign players for high amounts and even if he's being paid more than the 25th paid player from the top grade side he won't come under that clubs cap.

The fact Smith played for the Broncos is a joke. He was contracted to Easts, who have an agreement with Canberra. He should not have been allowed to play. That's like a Roosters reserve grade player playing for Souths

Smith's contract was not with Canberra so i can't see why, if [Brisbane]East's give the ok, one of their players can't play for a non-Canberra NRL club. Easts are not part of the Canberra Club - they are a seperate entity.

As for the Salary Cap point - The QRL have a Salary Cap for all teams in the Queensland Cup - something i am led to belive, the NSW Premier League doesn't have.

From what i understand, a NRL Club with teams in the NSW Premier League can pay their 'reserve grade' players (those outside the nominated 'Top 25') as much as they want to, without limit.

They are howerver, limited to only using $300,000 worth of Premier League players in their first grade (NRL) side.

am I correct on that? :?:

or is there a seperate Salary Cap for the NSW Premier League.

Kaz

junior
Razor said:
[Ikin gets $2000 a game
Green gets $200 a game

Ikin doesn't get $2000 a game

Where do you get your crap info from.

Razor said:
The fact Smith played for the Broncos is a joke. He was contracted to Easts, who have an agreement with Canberra. He should not have been allowed to play. That's like a Roosters reserve grade player playing for Souths

Big deal, East in Brisbane agreed to it.

Just because a team is linked to a NRL club doesn't mean other teams can't sign their players to contracts.

Razor

Coach
Ikin doesn't get $2000 a game

Where do you get your crap info from.

The newspaper

Ikin should be on a lot more than that. He's at least a $5000 a game player, now if he plays every game he'll get $48,000 for the year. He's worth a lot more than that.

Big deal, East in Brisbane agreed to it.

Easts have an agreement with Canberra. Did Canberra agree to it?

Razor

Coach
From what i understand, a NRL Club with teams in the NSW Premier League can pay their 'reserve grade' players (those outside the nominated 'Top 25') as much as they want to, without limit.

Not true.

The 'top 25' isn't players that the club nominates.

The 'top 25' are the highest paid players at the end of the year after match payments, etc..

The 25-man squad of course exists, because they are the highest paid 25 players. That's why at times players leave the 25-man squad to be replaced with someone else. That happens when that other player will be earning more money than the other player.

griff

Bench
He was deliberately stirring, but what Gould was saying was a good point. There needs to be something done to stop players coming back from retirement being used to rort the cap.

If a player is contracted to a club and then "retires", he is paid out the rest of his contract and it won't count on the cap.

He can then come back on a token match payments only contract. These payments will count on the cap.

eg Player A is being paid $200k a year and is contracted to a club for the 2005 season. However, at the end of this season he "retires" and is paid out his $200k for the remainder of his contract. This 200k therefore won't feature in the clubs 2005 cap.

Player A then "makes a comeback" near the start of the 2005 season, and settles on a contract for $100 a game. He doesn't care he is being paid so little as he already has the $200k in the bank.

This $100 a game match payment will come off the clubs salary cap, but the $200k he was paid out at retirement won't. This could easily be used to rort the system.

dice

Juniors
Having Paul Green on the field is a disadvantage. The Broncos should add money to the salary cap for having him on the field.

El Diablo

Post Whore
If a player decides to retire before his contract is up do you honestly think a club is going to pay him his contract for the years he didn't play :?

Latest posts