What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould

Yosh

Coach
his insight into the game is great stuff, but when he commentates a roosters game its really bad coz he just talks them up soooooooooo much... even when they are playing like sh*t he makes up excuses and stuff. apart from that he is good to listen to coz he does have great knowledge into the game!

jamesgould

Juniors
He's fine, and less biased than Harragon (in that he does at least acknowledge that other teams exist).

ArturiusX

Juniors
Phil Gould's knowledge about the game is unquestionable, and I think his advice to other teams during his commentary is always on the money. He knows how teams should beat teams.

He's annoying and whiney though, and makes bad jokes, but his whineyness has been mostly contained in the last year or so. He's a drama queen, but hey, he makes good points, so I'm prepared to sit on the fence.

Also his idea for an U/21 league is a fantastic idea that should be implemented. Normally I roll my eyes at phil goulds suggestions, but I've known a few guys who have tried to make it to first grade but not quite made it, and how they cut out 22 year olds because they're too old and have to be paid too much is something thats done at Maccas, not in a professional sporting league. I hope they forget who's saying it, and listen to the idea, because I think its a winner.

antonius

Coach
No doubting Potato Heads Knowledge of the game. However he is the most annoying commentator to listen to, last night he got on the bandwagon about grapple tackles, "lets play touch" he said after someone was penalised for throwing a guy to the ground using his neck as a lever. Whinging about the video ref disallowing tries because even though it was a knock-on "it deserved to be a try" I think Matty, and Sterlo contribute just as much game knowledge as Gould without all the accompanying crap.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Yeah I'm not denying he is one of the most knowledgable personalities in the game of Rugby League but it's just the way he contributes that knowledge and experience during the commentary, (as said before, especially when the roosters are playing). He just annoys me.

Master Vippo

Juniors
He has good knowledge and inormative, pretty good communicator, but hes waaay opinionated, reading his column in the Sun Herald sometimes makes me wanna burn his effigy, but only sometimes.

Boots 'n' All wasn't too bad.

aqua_duck

Coach
Gus is very knowledgable but there's 3 things that sh*t me about him

1.His bias toward certain players, eg Anasta
2.His constant agenda pushing, always going on about video ref everyweek
3.His 'I told you so' attitude, he loves to go on the pre-emptive which isnt bad but when he turns out true he'll let you know he predicted it.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Any person involved with a club should not commentate their own teams games. Daley is attrocious when it comes to Saints and so is Gus.

perverse

Referee
i hate him. he loves telling you how right and great he is.. when really he mostly just babbles biased crap.

gullsfan

Juniors
Yosh said:
his insight into the game is great stuff, but when he commentates a roosters game its really bad coz he just talks them up soooooooooo much... even when they are playing like sh*t he makes up excuses and stuff. apart from that he is good to listen to coz he does have great knowledge into the game!
You get annoyed by Gould's bias?
You should hear the Sunday arvo telecast in Brisbane for the Donkeys home matches. Ben Ikin (Bennet's son in law), Kevin Walters (former Brisbane player and coaching staff), Steve Walters (former Brisbane coaching staff) and Chris Bombolas (no idea what his sporting acheivements are if any but blatantly pro Donkeys. Regularly gets loud in the Darryl Eastlake style. Lockyer only has to blow snot out one nostril and he'll get excited).
As a group it's 2 hours of pro Broncos verbal masterbation. Brisbane never get beaten, they lose the game - "they've been their own worst enemies today". Conversely, if the opposition lose - "they just couldn't match Brisbane's firepower".
I can handle Goud most of the time.

Roy

Juniors
what realy sh*ts me with ikin is how he turns from a broncos fan into a cowboys fan when they are winning

Knight76

Juniors
He has an irritating voice. There is no doubt he has knowledge of the game we could only dream of but why wouldnt he after his career. What annoys me is his agenda pushing. Like he is some ideas man the league looks to.

Like his latest. Lets make the 50-10 kick, and reward that the same as the 40-20. What a tool. The only way I would ever agree with that is if the resulting scrum was formed on the 20m line to give the defence a chance. The 40-20 is a great addition as if a team has a little stuggle getting out of their zone in attack they can regather with a great long kick. If it is made to also be a 50-10 then virtually every set of six from the try line we will see a 50 -10 attempt. Ludicrous.

Another aspect of gould I cant stand is how he dominates after match talk. He just talks over the others to get his point heard and then sums it up with some stupid statement of what he wants changed.