What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould

VodkaSaint

Juniors
5 year plan is now ten.
Fires Ivan cleary and makes him break a contract to bring him back.
What is he going to do now that penrith are going shit .
Oh wait sack Ivan cleary again.
Looks like he has clue. NO FROM ME.

Old Timer

Coach
Gould is an egotistical turd who the media kowtow to for no apparent good reason
His persona is far greater than his ability
A poor man’s Jack Gibson.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I don't mind Phil Gould, he was an excellent coach, he is a knowledgeable man and he is passionate about the game. As a commentator he can be astute but too often he seems to latch on to a particular point and then flog it to death irrespective of any evidence to the contrary. As an administrator, from an outsider's point of view he doesn't seem to have improved Penrith, just made the whole place more volatile. Not sure what Penrith fans think of him, but I see him as being disruptive if he came to StGI and not in a good way.

Can't deny his coaching credentials. Can deny his management capability.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
5 year plan is now ten.
Fires Ivan cleary and makes him break a contract to bring him back.
What is he going to do now that penrith are going shit .
Oh wait sack Ivan cleary again.
Looks like he has clue. NO FROM ME.
Umm incorrect, he didnt make Ivan CLEARY break a contract, he had nothing to do with Cleary coming back, he admitted this yesterday on 100% League, also in the media today and it was also confirmed with the GM at Penrith David O'neal, Gould wanted Bennett and O'neal wanted Cleary.

TruSaint

Referee
Umm incorrect, he didnt make Ivan CLEARY break a contract, he had nothing to do with Cleary coming back, he admitted this yesterday on 100% League, also in the media today and it was also confirmed with the GM at Penrith David O'neal, Gould wanted Bennett and O'neal wanted Cleary.

Theres a long read on NRL.com talking about the Seibold/Bennett saga.

Worth a read
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/01/power-play-the-drama-behind-bennett-seibold-coaching-swap/

You are correct re Gus's choice, and I reckon that has pissed him off big time, as he seems to want to make all the calls.

Whilst no one here is doubting his credentials, I honestly think he has become quite bitter, and very divisive. He used to be an analyst and a good one. I find his persona has changed and is looking long term for the lead job at the NRL. He's done a lot at the pennies, but has not met his own targets.

giboz71

First Grade
Gould has obviously turned the Panthers into a financial powerhouse with great resources and a seemingly endless supply of juniors. On that front, he has done a great job.

But that doesn't necessarily mean success on the field. An underachieving squad, a revolving door of coaches. They have only had a moderately successful time on the field with Gus at the helm, and have never really challenged for a title, despite all their riches.

On the other hand, the Sharks (salary cap cheating aside) managed to win a comp despite all the issues with their management, and their basket case of issues, and no money.

Just goes to show that on and off field success don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Latest posts