What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould

41yearsaint

Juniors
McGregors Roster is far superior to what Price had. imagine what a decent coach could do with our Roster...

Here's a few stats you omitted...........

We only made the semis in 2016 due to a number of Manly players betting against themselves...

In 5 Years McGregor has won 1 finals game

At the same time McGregor is the 1st Dragons coach in our Club's History to have his side held to Zero at Kogarah Twice...Price achieved this once so using your logic Price having a weaker roster is a better coach than McGregor......

McGregor is not the worst coach in the NRL but we as a team deserve a Great Coach....

The only time we achieved anything in the last 40 years was with an outside coach..Bennett ...

That is the calibre of coach we should be chasing. McGregor has had more than enough time to produce results...forget your 50% ratios...He has won 1 finals game since being here since 2014...and in fact the first thing Bennett did was cut him loose....so maybe have a think about those STATS....
That 1 finals game the team won. Mary looked like he won the lotto.
Unfortunately, if rumours are true, he did.

McGregors Roster is far superior to what Price had. imagine what a decent coach could do with our Roster...

Here's a few stats you omitted...........

We only made the semis in 2016 due to a number of Manly players betting against themselves...

In 5 Years McGregor has won 1 finals game

At the same time McGregor is the 1st Dragons coach in our Club's History to have his side held to Zero at Kogarah Twice...Price achieved this once so using your logic Price having a weaker roster is a better coach than McGregor......

McGregor is not the worst coach in the NRL but we as a team deserve a Great Coach....

The only time we achieved anything in the last 40 years was with an outside coach..Bennett ...

That is the calibre of coach we should be chasing. McGregor has had more than enough time to produce results...forget your 50% ratios...He has won 1 finals game since being here since 2014...and in fact the first thing Bennett did was cut him loose....so maybe have a think about those STATS....

To reconfirm...

My original reply (look back if needed) was based on comments around percentage wins McGregor vs Griffin, and griffins supposedly being a better coach on this basis. I put some scope (percentages and background prior to both taking up their coaching roles) around this and why I think McGregor is better than griffin if you go by percantages. My opinion only, others can have theirs..

I also think it’s foolish to base an opinion on who’s better than who purely on percentages. Hence my original response and A la Homer Simpson. Win Percentages can tell part of a story, but not the whole story. Maybe that was overlooked/ignored/otherwise..

My 50% ratios? Others quoted these and I’ve simply replied as I did..

Again - McGregor does NOW have a better squad than Price did in his term. But McGregor took over Prices team thus had Prices squad originally. He didn’t get this current team overnight. It’s taken seasons... your reply doesn’t recognise this.

Re 2016, yours reasons re top 8 result is debatable.. however in his 2nd season he was coach of a team that was 13th when he was given them, to semis next season. We gallantly lost to strong favourites Canterbury in a close game.

Re zero points at Kogarah twice, yes I recognise this. I was on the hill for the dogs game and was absolutely livid. But there were 15 players in red V jerseys who were absolutely disgraceful in their performance. I excuse Frizell and Graham who busted their guts that day. McGregors coaching the reason for this? I’d suggest he shares that with 15 players, and has taken ownership of it. Does it make him a bad coach?

Bennett is a once in a lifetime coach. I’ll nevef have a bad thing to say about him and what he did for our club. The dragons management have since chased him back twice.

The first time the broncos got him instead and I had the good fortune to meet him when he was keynote speaker at an Australia Day breakfast... even greater that I was placed to sit directly opposite him.. amongst other chats we had... he talked of his decision to go back to Brissy instead - a very close decision but he swayed toward the broncos as it’s where home is. Our management have tried.. but guys like this are in rare air. Only Bellamy compares of the current crop and we tried to get him too.... fact.

Who else do you think is the “Calibre of coach we should be chasing”?? Please enlighten me I really wanna know...

If we were to replace McGregor it indeed would need to be someone of that Calibre. But who are they?

Like how you finished your reply in capitals, bet you hit the send button with a forceful thump of your finger!

I don’t think McGregor is the best coach or worst coach in the nrl, or of others potentially available. I definitely don’t think we should “Sack McGregor” like many others here. I just think he’s better than a lot of people give him credit for - especially here on LU. I’m just a Dragons fan with a keyboard just like you. We don’t have to agree.

I’ll wait to see how this season progresses, as with dragons management far more informed than I, to see if he earns a further extension. I think he’ll get one if we perform well this year. I think we will perform well and if so I hope he gets it.

Edit - In the extend Mary thread possm put up I voted yes, and posted reasons. May seemingly contradict the paragraph above (extend versus wait then possibly extend). But my reasoning stays the same.

Last edited:
That 1 finals game the team won. Mary looked like he won the lotto.

And did you react any differently? Id have expected all us dragons fans were similar... it was the best win in recent seasons for mine. And definitely under Mary.

A coach showing exhilaration at an upset finals win.. heaven forbid!

possm

Coach
About 88% of those members who voted on the idea of Mary having his contract extended, voted not to extend his contract. Every round members on here are critical of many things Mary does i.e. selections, bench management, game plan, junior development and inability to change plans or react to unforeseen circumstances during a game.

41yearsaint

Juniors
And did you react any differently? Id have expected all us dragons fans were similar... it was the best win in recent seasons for mine. And definitely under Mary.

A coach showing exhilaration at an upset finals win.. heaven forbid!
RE: % post. Very informative and the meme was a good touch.
I was fist pumping that win. Mary looked dumbfounded and confused to me and Euan sulking on the side line. TV gold.

getsmarty

Immortal
To reconfirm...

My original reply (look back if needed) was based on comments around percentage wins McGregor vs Griffin, and griffins supposedly being a better coach on this basis. I put some scope (percentages and background prior to both taking up their coaching roles) around this and why I think McGregor is better than griffin if you go by percantages. My opinion only, others can have theirs..

I also think it’s foolish to base an opinion on who’s better than who purely on percentages. Hence my original response and A la Homer Simpson. Win Percentages can tell part of a story, but not the whole story. Maybe that was overlooked/ignored/otherwise..

My 50% ratios? Others quoted these and I’ve simply replied as I did..

Again - McGregor does NOW have a better squad than Price did in his term. But McGregor took over Prices team thus had Prices squad originally. He didn’t get this current team overnight. It’s taken seasons... your reply doesn’t recognise this.

Re 2016, yours reasons re top 8 result is debatable.. however in his 2nd season he was coach of a team that was 13th when he was given them, to semis next season. We gallantly lost to strong favourites Canterbury in a close game.

Re zero points at Kogarah twice, yes I recognise this. I was on the hill for the dogs game and was absolutely livid. But there were 15 players in red V jerseys who were absolutely disgraceful in their performance. I excuse Frizell and Graham who busted their guts that day. McGregors coaching the reason for this? I’d suggest he shares that with 15 players, and has taken ownership of it. Does it make him a bad coach?

Bennett is a once in a lifetime coach. I’ll nevef have a bad thing to say about him and what he did for our club. The dragons management have since chased him back twice.

The first time the broncos got him instead and I had the good fortune to meet him when he was keynote speaker at an Australia Day breakfast... even greater that I was placed to sit directly opposite him.. amongst other chats we had... he talked of his decision to go back to Brissy instead - a very close decision but he swayed toward the broncos as it’s where home is. Our management have tried.. but guys like this are in rare air. Only Bellamy compares of the current crop and we tried to get him too.... fact.

Who else do you think is the “Calibre of coach we should be chasing”?? Please enlighten me I really wanna know...

If we were to replace McGregor it indeed would need to be someone of that Calibre. But who are they?

Like how you finished your reply in capitals, bet you hit the send button with a forceful thump of your finger!

I don’t think McGregor is the best coach or worst coach in the nrl, or of others potentially available. I definitely don’t think we should “Sack McGregor” like many others here. I just think he’s better than a lot of people give him credit for - especially here on LU. I’m just a Dragons fan with a keyboard just like you. We don’t have to agree.

I’ll wait to see how this season progresses, as with dragons management far more informed than I, to see if he earns a further extension. I think he’ll get one if we perform well this year. I think we will perform well and if so I hope he gets it.

Edit - In the extend Mary thread possm put up I voted yes, and posted reasons. May seemingly contradict the paragraph above (extend versus wait then possibly extend). But my reasoning stays the same.

Your entitled to your opinion...So let me ask you a Question...

You say you were livid when you witnessed the 38 - 0 loss to the dogs....Did this not show all of us that the current coach cannot change his game tactics mid-game ?
It's convenient to put it all on the players, and yes I acknowledge that they have a role to play but ultimately the buck stops with the coach..and may I say a coach who has stated he has the roster he wants for the last 3 seasons....

regarding 2016...if Manly wins their final game they make the Semis and we don't...it came out during the betting saga that a number of their players bet on this game against their own team..so nothing contentious here.

How long do you want to give Paul McGregor..? This season will be his 6th....surely that is long enough to know that the experiment is not working...

In Regards to other coaches, we are the Dragons...We were once a proud club who as an organization were run successfully...we are a shell of our former selves because of the club continually bringing in "Former Players " with little outside experience ...."Rookie coaches "

If one was to bring in a Rookie at least pick someone who has done their apprenticeship under a Bennett or a Bellamy....McGregor had No 1st grade coaching experience and it shows...

Be happy for Paul to prove me wrong , but i just cannot see us winning a title with him at the helm...

It looks like he is about to be extended , so he could well be at the helm for 8 - 9 years...to me that is extraordinary based on the fact that all he is achieved is 1 win in a finals game..out of 3...( Yes the 2 losses were close , but the fact remains we lost both times )

Anyway, my reply wasn't meant to create an argument with you...have a good day and go the Mighty Red V.

Last edited:
Your entitled to your opinion...So let me ask you a Question...

You say you were livid when you witnessed the 38 - 0 loss to the dogs....Did this not show all of us that the current coach cannot change his game tactics mid-game ?
It's convenient to put it all on the players, and yes I acknowledge that they have a role to play but ultimately the buck stops with the coach..and may I say a coach who has stated he has the roster he wants for the last 3 seasons....

regarding 2016...if Manly wins their final game they make the Semis and we don't...it came out during the betting saga that a number of their players bet on this game against their own team..so nothing contentious here.

How long do you want to give Paul McGregor..? This season will be his 6th....surely that is long enough to know that the experiment is not working...

In Regards to other coaches, we are the Dragons...We were once a proud club who as an organization were run successfully...we are a shell of our former selves because of the club continually bringing in "Former Players " with little outside experience ...."Rookie coaches "

If one was to bring in a Rookie at least pick someone who has done their apprenticeship under a Bennett or a Bellamy....McGregor had No 1st grade coaching experience and it shows...

Be happy for Paul to prove me wrong , but i just cannot see us winning a title with him at the helm...

It looks like he is about to be extended , so he could well be at the helm for 8 - 9 years...to me that is extraordinary based on the fact that all he is achieved is 1 win in a finals game..out of 3...( Yes the 2 losses were close , but the fact remains we lost both times )

Anyway, my reply wasn't meant to create an argument with you...have a good day and go the Mighty Red V.

All good mate!

I'll reply to your last passage first - and I'll finish off the same here in this post.

I'm not about creating arguments either - I like to put my views across and hear those of others. In the end I know that all Dragons fans here want pretty much the same thing..

To be proud of our mighty club. For all our club to have the effort, attitude, and ability to give us successes into the future. I'd love another competition - I've only seen us win one - when I honestly thought i'd never have that opportunity in my lifetime.

I'm sure also that all of us on these forums are as passionate as either other. I'm an absolute dragons tragic. I can tell you the last 3 times i've cried.

1 - 6 months ago when my pet turtle died. might sound ridiculous but I loved that little bugger. Best pet ever.
2 - October 3rd 2010 approx 7.30pm, Seat 13, Row 30, Aisle 610 at ANZ Stadium. With 20 minutes to go, a wave came over me and the thousands of dragons fans around me in the stands - we could win this. With ten minutes to go - we WILL WIN THIS! I saw an outpouring of emotion of all kinds from people around me. They were shouting, shaking, hugging, crying, some in sheer disbelief sat their stunned. I was jumping around a lot and yelling my head off. I was then embracing people all around me.. And I remember an old guy - I turned around and there was this old guy in his dragons kit - with big glazed red eyes and tears dripping down his cheeks. Standing there so proud. He gave me a smile, looking a tad embarrassed from his tears. We didnt say anything but high fived and embraced each other. That kind of tough man strong hug you have with your dad.. That's when I burst out in tears of joy. There was still 5 minutes to go in the game!

That win meant so much to so many and even as I type this I'm getting goosebumps. What a day..

3 - When we lost in the 99GF. Misty-eyed more than crying. The less said about that the better.

Oh - and I'm not counting the times i've bashed my toe on the coffee table or kicked my shins on a tow-bar.

Ok - enough of me reminsicing...

Re the Dogs game - Our team were completely shot at half time. Only someone with the powers to Raise the Dead could have turned it around in my view. I have no idea why or what caused it, but the effort and attitude of all bar 2 players was completely void. Myself - I used to be an angry fan a lot when we lost in my younger days. After 2010 I committed to myself that now we've won a comp I though I'd never see, I'll change my angry ways at my team win lose or draw - as long as the effort and attitude is there. That day - I turned back to the dark side again.. leaving with ten to go. But I found ways not to let it overwhelm me. Anger like that is no good for me or anyone. But at the time the coach was far from the target of my anger - it was everyone in the Red V bar Tyson and James. They showed heart, effort and attitude when all around them were crumbling. That's what I focused on and it helped turn my mood around.

I agree the buck stops with the coach. And he was indeed at the helm for that game. He was also at the helm when we beat Melbourne as the same ground earlier in the year, and when we beat Brisbane in Brisbane in the Semi, and when we just got pipped against Souths a week later without Widdop and Vaughan. He's at the helm for all of our wins and losses.

Re comments around us being a former club once run successfully etc - yeah I agree for the most part with this view. We've historically hired from within in the last 20-30 years. One major exception was Wayne Bennett and look what happened. Yes we've brought in rookies the likes of Nathan Brown, Steve Price, Craig Young. At times we've gone outside with the likes of Bennett and David Waite - who was coach of our 1996 side when we were in turmoil - and for me personally - watching our 1996 team make the GF was my proudest experience as a Dragons fan - and we lost the GF!

Indeed we were a big force in the past, going back to the 1979 comp win and before. I never saw those "glory days" but some here obviously have. I can only read about it. So the emotion others feel when they've seen the Dragons in recent times struggle on and off the field, go into a JV to survive, lost countless GF's before we won one.. I appreciate these fans will see things in a different way to me. This time last year I - like many - thought finally we are going places again. And we did for a time. But as frustrated as I was at times in the back half of the year - I was once again proud of how we finished off in the semis - passion, effort, attitude was at it's best in the circumstances we faced. The whole team and Paul McGregor at the helm were part of that finish.

I agree that it's a positive thing to bring on a coach from outside the club, with great experience and successes who can bring different things to the table for the Dragons. But aside from Bennett (who's in his 70's now) and Bellamy - I can't see anyone who I'd want to chase that can bring this. Possibly Trent Robinson would be the only one. Thus - I wouldnt replace McGregor at this stage. Our club is in the strongest competitive position it has been since Bennett left in 2011. And particularly the last two seasons when McGregor has got "his team". Lets see what happens this year. Replacing him with anyone else out there would right now would be a big step backwards in my view.

How long to I want to give him?

I'f I'm Brian Johnson I'd sign him at least for 2020. And now. I've written before that I think a person will perform better in their job with the support of their managers and with security. Not ultimatums and the sword of damocles hanging over their heads if their team loses. Of course if someone is completely underperforming it's a different story. But there's no coaches I know in the league of Bellamy Bennett etc who are coming off contract at the end of this year. Unless we want to enter the Coaching Musical Chairs event, paying other clubs after nicking them like Penrith (paying 3 coaches at present). That to me does not make business sense. Might go against my original post on Gould (hey - this is a Phil Gould thread isnt it!). But again - who would we take? I'd only take Bellamy or Bennett again at this point and they have already been approached and declined. And Politis has Robinson under lock and key..

Anyway - I do like these forums and debating the issues of the Dragons etc. And while my views will be different than others, and many others here as it seems, where we debate them with respect I have absolutely no concerns whatsoever.

I'm certain if me, you, Warrabrook, Old Timer,41 years, and the dozens of others here shared a beer with us one day to talk these things over it would be a very entertaining afternoon. And we'd get on. We all want the same thing and follow the same mighty club that makes us proud at times, cranky at times, disillusioned, bewildered at times.. But they are our team. And like a pet dog that for no reason bites through your hose, sh1ts in your shoes, rips your washing off the line and basically drives you nuts at times - you still love the bugger.

Maybe one day in the future we might have that opportunity for a beer. I'd honestly look forward to it.

Have a great day all!

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Gould should take charge of the Refs. Whinges so much about them he may as well do something about it. He seems to think he can fix the refs so why not take the challenge to fix our game. Mind you I think they are ok thsi year apart from the Dragons v Bronco's game.

getsmarty

Immortal
All good mate!

I'll reply to your last passage first - and I'll finish off the same here in this post.

I'm not about creating arguments either - I like to put my views across and hear those of others. In the end I know that all Dragons fans here want pretty much the same thing..

To be proud of our mighty club. For all our club to have the effort, attitude, and ability to give us successes into the future. I'd love another competition - I've only seen us win one - when I honestly thought i'd never have that opportunity in my lifetime.

I'm sure also that all of us on these forums are as passionate as either other. I'm an absolute dragons tragic. I can tell you the last 3 times i've cried.

1 - 6 months ago when my pet turtle died. might sound ridiculous but I loved that little bugger. Best pet ever.
2 - October 3rd 2010 approx 7.30pm, Seat 13, Row 30, Aisle 610 at ANZ Stadium. With 20 minutes to go, a wave came over me and the thousands of dragons fans around me in the stands - we could win this. With ten minutes to go - we WILL WIN THIS! I saw an outpouring of emotion of all kinds from people around me. They were shouting, shaking, hugging, crying, some in sheer disbelief sat their stunned. I was jumping around a lot and yelling my head off. I was then embracing people all around me.. And I remember an old guy - I turned around and there was this old guy in his dragons kit - with big glazed red eyes and tears dripping down his cheeks. Standing there so proud. He gave me a smile, looking a tad embarrassed from his tears. We didnt say anything but high fived and embraced each other. That kind of tough man strong hug you have with your dad.. That's when I burst out in tears of joy. There was still 5 minutes to go in the game!

That win meant so much to so many and even as I type this I'm getting goosebumps. What a day..

3 - When we lost in the 99GF. Misty-eyed more than crying. The less said about that the better.

Oh - and I'm not counting the times i've bashed my toe on the coffee table or kicked my shins on a tow-bar.

Ok - enough of me reminsicing...

Re the Dogs game - Our team were completely shot at half time. Only someone with the powers to Raise the Dead could have turned it around in my view. I have no idea why or what caused it, but the effort and attitude of all bar 2 players was completely void. Myself - I used to be an angry fan a lot when we lost in my younger days. After 2010 I committed to myself that now we've won a comp I though I'd never see, I'll change my angry ways at my team win lose or draw - as long as the effort and attitude is there. That day - I turned back to the dark side again.. leaving with ten to go. But I found ways not to let it overwhelm me. Anger like that is no good for me or anyone. But at the time the coach was far from the target of my anger - it was everyone in the Red V bar Tyson and James. They showed heart, effort and attitude when all around them were crumbling. That's what I focused on and it helped turn my mood around.

I agree the buck stops with the coach. And he was indeed at the helm for that game. He was also at the helm when we beat Melbourne as the same ground earlier in the year, and when we beat Brisbane in Brisbane in the Semi, and when we just got pipped against Souths a week later without Widdop and Vaughan. He's at the helm for all of our wins and losses.

Re comments around us being a former club once run successfully etc - yeah I agree for the most part with this view. We've historically hired from within in the last 20-30 years. One major exception was Wayne Bennett and look what happened. Yes we've brought in rookies the likes of Nathan Brown, Steve Price, Craig Young. At times we've gone outside with the likes of Bennett and David Waite - who was coach of our 1996 side when we were in turmoil - and for me personally - watching our 1996 team make the GF was my proudest experience as a Dragons fan - and we lost the GF!

Indeed we were a big force in the past, going back to the 1979 comp win and before. I never saw those "glory days" but some here obviously have. I can only read about it. So the emotion others feel when they've seen the Dragons in recent times struggle on and off the field, go into a JV to survive, lost countless GF's before we won one.. I appreciate these fans will see things in a different way to me. This time last year I - like many - thought finally we are going places again. And we did for a time. But as frustrated as I was at times in the back half of the year - I was once again proud of how we finished off in the semis - passion, effort, attitude was at it's best in the circumstances we faced. The whole team and Paul McGregor at the helm were part of that finish.

I agree that it's a positive thing to bring on a coach from outside the club, with great experience and successes who can bring different things to the table for the Dragons. But aside from Bennett (who's in his 70's now) and Bellamy - I can't see anyone who I'd want to chase that can bring this. Possibly Trent Robinson would be the only one. Thus - I wouldnt replace McGregor at this stage. Our club is in the strongest competitive position it has been since Bennett left in 2011. And particularly the last two seasons when McGregor has got "his team". Lets see what happens this year. Replacing him with anyone else out there would right now would be a big step backwards in my view.

How long to I want to give him?

I'f I'm Brian Johnson I'd sign him at least for 2020. And now. I've written before that I think a person will perform better in their job with the support of their managers and with security. Not ultimatums and the sword of damocles hanging over their heads if their team loses. Of course if someone is completely underperforming it's a different story. But there's no coaches I know in the league of Bellamy Bennett etc who are coming off contract at the end of this year. Unless we want to enter the Coaching Musical Chairs event, paying other clubs after nicking them like Penrith (paying 3 coaches at present). That to me does not make business sense. Might go against my original post on Gould (hey - this is a Phil Gould thread isnt it!). But again - who would we take? I'd only take Bellamy or Bennett again at this point and they have already been approached and declined. And Politis has Robinson under lock and key..

Anyway - I do like these forums and debating the issues of the Dragons etc. And while my views will be different than others, and many others here as it seems, where we debate them with respect I have absolutely no concerns whatsoever.

I'm certain if me, you, Warrabrook, Old Timer,41 years, and the dozens of others here shared a beer with us one day to talk these things over it would be a very entertaining afternoon. And we'd get on. We all want the same thing and follow the same mighty club that makes us proud at times, cranky at times, disillusioned, bewildered at times.. But they are our team. And like a pet dog that for no reason bites through your hose, sh1ts in your shoes, rips your washing off the line and basically drives you nuts at times - you still love the bugger.

Maybe one day in the future we might have that opportunity for a beer. I'd honestly look forward to it.

Have a great day all!

Well Said...We all agree on many things...my main bone of contention is that McGregor doesn't deserve an extension because as you correctly stated "Our club is in the strongest position since Bennett left in 2011 :" Agree 100% and window for a premiership doesn't come around every year ( unless you are the Roosters and Storm ) because of the cap etc.

That being the case the club had an opportunity to nab Maguire...( Who has won a premiership ) and he allegedly knocked us back due to the restrictions of having to work in the existing structure...

The Club should have welcomed him with open arms and told him he could bring his own staff with him.........they have made it near impossible for us to grab an experienced coach therefore they stick with what they know ?

Makes absolutely no sense....

The club also tried to get Bennett/Bellamy/Cleary/Arthur all during McGregor's current tenure...that being the case, Why are they going to extend him now...

P.S the above has been confirmed by sources on here and I have heard from another outside source...No Names...so don't ask.

We should have thrown big money at either Bennett/Maguire or Bellamy.

Anyway that's water under the bridge. I Fear we will blow this current window with McGregor in charge and then we have to start rebuilding again and another 10 years passes us all by...I'm not getting any younger...would love to see us win another title in the near future.

possm

Coach
Our Coach and our Board of Management should always be doing what is within their power to improve the performance of SGI on and off the field. This means that every decision made should be in the best interest of SGI and success in the short, medium and long term.

In my opinion, by the way I realise many disagree, both Mary and our Board of Management fall short in putting the best interest of SGI ahead of their own interest and the political deals done by the self interested 'old boys club'. So, in my opinion, the biggest problem faced by SGI si how to bring about a change in direction that will see SGI perform the very best it can on and off the field.

BBTB

Juniors
Gould should take charge of the Refs. Whinges so much about them he may as well do something about it. He seems to think he can fix the refs so why not take the challenge to fix our game. Mind you I think they are ok thsi year apart from the Dragons v Bronco's game.
Dragons v cowgirls, refs where Attrocius..

Latest posts