What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Hughes - When do we drop him?

When do we drop Phil Hughes from the test side

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Ok, lots of banter regarding this bloke in test threads, lets get everyones thoughts here

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Bear

Referee
Dude needs a Hayden like stin in shield cricket I think. Not enough to go back make runs and get slotted back in if he doesnt show serious adjustment to his game.

I think he definately can make it, you dont hit as many tons as he has at a young age without talent, but he needs a decent stint in the shield to prove his worth I think.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
it would depend on who else was available, if Watson is available I would open with Oozi and Warner and bat Watson at 6 and drop Hughes

If Marsh can get a couple of good first class scores before the boxing day test then he may earn a spot and I'd open with Marsh and Warner, Oozi at 3

If none of the above happens I'd stick with Hughes and Warner for now. The only other viable option would be Cowan but at his age we may be better to invest in Hughes.

Hughes has some obvious talent including hand eye coordination and can hit a ball, but has technique problems.

If we stick with him and he continues to fail you would have to wonder what our coaching staff are getting paid for.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I cant see them playing Sunshine down the order. He will be opening for a little while yet. Maybe when Punter/Hussey retire, he may move down.

If Marsh and Sunshine arent fit , then id definately stick with Hughes for a bit longer

We really didnt need to drop Katich when we did

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Saw him interviewed on Inside Cricket and in his words, his roll in the team has changed and he is required to bowl more

that was his response when asked if would be batting down the order, he seems resigned to the fact that he will be batting down the order pretty soon and he'll bat where it best suits the team

beads6

First Grade
Watson won't go down the order until Ponting or Hussey go. Hughes is playing hast last test for a few years IMO. He just lacks confidence at the moment and really needs to work on his technique.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Saw him interviewed on Inside Cricket and in his words, his roll in the team has changed and he is required to bowl more

that was his response when asked if would be batting down the order, he seems resigned to the fact that he will be batting down the order pretty soon and he'll bat where it best suits the team

Well he was only bowling more cause we over kept Johnsons stay, and Siddle wasnt doing much either, though he seems to have pulled his finger out a bit

If our new breed of young guns continue to improve, with Harris, Dougy there as well, there wont be a need for Sunshine to bowl more than 6-8 overs per dig, instead of over 20 as he has been

aussies1st

Staff member
I'd have him back in Shield cricket but some idiots thought it would be a good idea to give that a 2 month break. If Warner and Khawaja can make runs then it makes it easier to drop him. However if they fail then we are stuck on keeping a player on potential than form.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm his biggest fan but even I think 2-3 years is overkill.

Get in his ear and make it clear to him he's got the entire summer so he doesn't feel like the axe is over him 24/7. 4 tests against a very good team. If he averages 40+ his position is secure. And in between the tests I want someone with a brain (not Langer) to be a hands on 1 on 1 coach for him and get him to fix his issues.

franklin2323

Immortal
The problem is who to replace him with. Watson seems incapable of scoring the big hundred openers need to & bowling more he is of use down the order.

Eelectrica

Referee
I thought the 2-3 years option meant give him that much time off. That interpretation made more sense than anything else anyway.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I thought the 2-3 years option meant give him that much time off. That interpretation made more sense than anything else anyway.
The first option was drop him before the next test. That's why I assumed the next 2 were asking if thats when we should drop him if he doesnt score runs. But you might be right.

So basically you have adopted the George Costanza (google him) philosophy of doing the opposite of your natural instincts because you are wrong 100% of the time on LU.

I have to give up my belief that Hughes has been unfairly targeted because you agreed with me which means I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts