What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pick your 15 man 2019 World cup squad + OFFICIAL SQUAD ANNOUNCED 15/4

TheParraboy

Staff member
That aside, what's with the endless bagging of 70s and 80s greats - can I now say Allan Border was no Henry Nicholls

There was a subjective debate in one of the threads (cricket crap thread maybe?) about past bowling greats performing today. Some had the view with professionalism today past greats wouldn't cut it in modern day analysis environment compared to todays players and examples were, from memory, the WI greats wouldn't be greats today, fine bowlers but not great, and Hazlewood would be better than Lillee.

Hence some jokes how past greats would get carted around today and not as effective, on the back of that debate

Bazal

Post Whore
There was a subjective debate in one of the threads (cricket crap thread maybe?) about past bowling greats performing today. Some had the view with professionalism today past greats wouldn't cut it in modern day analysis environment compared to todays players and examples were, from memory, the WI greats wouldn't be greats today, fine bowlers but not great, and Hazlewood would be better than Lillee.

Hence some jokes how past greats would get carted around today and not as effective, on the back of that debate

Strange that no one has whined about people saying Cummins would be better...it's almost like people have overstated the claims made in said debate :p

Anyway Wadey would have been killed in the 70s. A Joel Garner half volley would break his nose!

TheParraboy

Staff member
Strange that no one has whined about people saying Cummins would be better...it's almost like people have overstated the claims made in said debate :p

Anyway Wadey would have been killed in the 70s. A Joel Garner half volley would break his nose!

Throw in Steyn as well, plus McGrath though he has retired for a while nonetheless was in a professional era. Not too many others with confidence though, but all subjective though

Garner would be called for a wide if he bowled a half volley to the great Wade

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think the make up of the 15 will be:
1 Wicketkeeper
7 Batsmen
7 Bowlers

With the makeup of the XI being:
6 Batsmen
1 keeper
4 Bowlers
With bits and pieces making up 10 overs in the innings.

Openers:
Finch won't be dropped. Warner to come back in.
Carey as keeper means 3 of the top 7 are pretty much locks.
The contenders for the 3 - 6 spots are:
S Marsh
Khawaja
Hanscombe
Maxwell
Turner
Smith
Stoinis
2 to miss out.
Smarsh has been our most consistent player over the last year and is a JL favourite.
Khawaja is the best equipped to open if Finch or Warner go pear shaped and has hit form.
Hanscombe can back up with the gloves, more of a handy squad member than a starter imo.
Turner showed what he can do and is a JL favourite.
Maxwell can bowl a few darts, has the ability to accelerate and is the team's best fielder.
Smith is all class even though not as dominate in this format compared to tests.
Stoinis is another JL favourite and apparently can bowl - considering we need to find 10 overs from the batsmen he's got a big advantage.

I think Turner and Khawaja will miss out although I would not be surprised if Maxwell was ousted in favour of Turner.

Bowlers - will they go 6 fast bowlers and 1 spinner or 5 fast bowlers and 2 spinners? I think they'll go the 6/1 option as it is in England.

Lock in Starc and Cummins, easily our best 2 quicks at this caper.
Zampa seems to be ahead of Lyon.

So then your 4 other quicks will probably be:
Berhendorff
Coulter Nile
J Richardson
Hazelwood

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...g/news-story/68c2605bfbafc87bffed5c96a06c7d07

As Australia basks in the glow of a history-making ODI series win over India, the reality is the positive result has only added to the confusion ahead of this year’s World Cup in England. Aaron Finch and Co. became the first men in green and gold to come back from 2-0 down to win a five-match series after a stunning victory over Virat Kohli’s troops in Delhi on Wednesday night. There was joy all around after the team’s first ODI series triumph since 2017 — and first on foreign soil since 2016 — but when the champagne stops flowing there will still be plenty of head-scratching among fans and selectors as they ponder the best ingredients to building a successful World Cup side.

Steve Smith and David Warner were expected to walk back into the side in England but it may not be so simple, especially as they’ve been left out of the squad to face Pakistan in a five-match series in the UAE in the team’s last competitive hit out before the World Cup. Here are all the question marks still surrounding Australian cricket.
TOP ORDER TROUBLES
Aaron Finch’s form has been diabolical all summer and save for his 93 in Ranchi, he was unable to kick into gear in India. But coach Justin Langer has been backing his embattled skipper, giving the impression he’s still a World Cup lock. Dropping Finch would be problematic because it would require finding a new captain (Smith can’t captain for a year after his return and Warner is forbidden from holding another leadership position for the rest of his career). Ultimately the decision may come down to whether Australia values Finch’s leadership more than his runs. Once a hard-hitting opener who seized the initiative early in an innings, Finch has become a plodder in his search for form, scoring at the worst strikerate of the top seven that finished the series.

He was completely outshone by opening partner Usman Khawaja, who topped the runscoring charts with 383 runs in India at an average of 76.60. If Khawaja continues that form in the UAE, it’s hard to justify dumping him to squeeze Warner back into the side. But Warner brings the type of gusto needed at the top of the order if we’re going to regularly post totals of 300-plus. Neither Khawaja nor Finch scored at a strike rate of above 90 for the series and in ODI cricket these days having someone who can go at 120 runs per 100 balls during the first 10 overs of field restrictions is crucial. England and India — pre-tournament World Cup favourites — have players like Jason Roy and Rohit Sharma who can do just that, and Warner (whose career strike rate in ODIs is 96.55) is our most capable player of going big from ball number one. Then there’s the matter of what to do with Shaun Marsh, Australia’s best recent performing batsman before the tour of India, where he registered three single-figure scores before being left out of the final match in Delhi. Against South Africa at the start of the summer he was our leading runscorer and it was the same story in the three-match series against India at home. Can you really be so ruthless as to axe Marsh even though his form — long term — has been better than anyone else’s?

Only Khawaja and Kohli scored more runs than Peter Handscomb in India as the Victorian looked at ease against spin in the middle order before being promoted up to No. 3 for the final game, where he scored another half-century. If Smith walks back in, can he and Handscomb co-exist? Both are seen as similar players who can anchor an innings and milk the bowling without having to take extravagant risks. Is there room for both in England? Although inexperienced in ODI cricket, Handscomb strikes at 97.27 across 16 matches, suggesting he’s more dynamic than some might realise. By comparison, Smith’s career strike rate stands at 86.35. Then there’s Ashton Turner, who played a matchwinning innings in Mohali where he smoked an unbeaten 84 from 43 balls in his second ODI. Does he miss out if Smith and Handscomb make the final XI, or is it Marsh or Khawaja in the firing line? THE ALL-ROUNDERS We know Shane Warne loves Marcus Stoinis but does he deserve to be a lock at No. 6 or 7 for the World Cup? He only picked up two wickets in the recent series against India, which both came in the final game. Granted, he only bowled 20.2 overs across five matches as Finch opted to rely on Maxwell’s part-time spin to fill overs. So it’s not a huge sample size. Stoinis played some handy cameos with the bat so probably did enough to suggest he’d be someone selectors want to include in the first XI for the opening World Cup game against Afghanistan. Alex Carey’s position behind the stumps has come under threat with Peter Handscomb’s impressive form leading some to suggest he could take the gloves to lengthen the batting line-up.

Carey was promoted to vice-captain so is clearly someone Langer, his teammates and selectors hold in high regard. Last week chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns said he was happy with Carey’s progress with the bat and while he’s played some valuable knocks late in the innings, he’s not likely to launch a blistering assault at the death. By having Handscomb behind the stumps, it would allow Glenn Maxwell and Stoinis to bat at six and seven, giving the Aussies some serious firepower in the lower order and extra bowling options too, while you get Handscomb’s class with the bat in the middle overs. It’ll be a tough one for selectors given Carey hasn’t done much wrong — and is a quality gloveman — but is a strike rate of 82.31 in ODIs enough from a No. 7 who will often come to the crease needing to find the rope from the start of his innings?

After taking 11 wickets for the series, former Australian ODI star John Hastings believes leg-spinner Adam Zampa is a lock for the World Cup. Recently coming back from the one-day wilderness, he’s done enough to take the frontline spinner’s position from Nathan Lyon, assuming only one tweaker will be needed in English conditions. Pat Cummins is a certainty after taking 14 wickets in five matches but who are the other quicks? Josh Hazlewood is Australia’s highest ranked ODI bowler at No. 10 so providing he’s fit, you’d expect him to join the attack. Mitchell Starc came under heavy criticism during a rough summer but is at his explosive best with the new ball in one-day cricket. He was remarkable at the 2015 World Cup, which will bolster his claims to a starting berth at this year’s tournament. But he hasn’t played an ODI this year and has managed just three 50-over games since February 2018. Does his reputation as an ODI X-factor get him in the side, even if his fitness and recent results don’t? Nathan Coulter-Nile and Jhye Richardson shared the pace bowling duties with Cummins in India and both may force their way into the side with strong performances against Pakistan.

There’s still a long time to go between now and June 1 when Australia takes the field for the first time at the World Cup, and everything could change. Finch could score hundreds galore in the UAE, Khawaja could suffer a dramatic slump and Marsh could bounce back to his customary form in the coloured clothes, showing us all his Indian outings were a minor speed bump. It’s also important to note how different conditions in India — and the UAE — are to what the Aussies will deal with in England. The measured starts to Australia’s innings in India on slow, low pitches may have been a case of adjusting to the conditions and when given an opportunity on faster tracks, our batsmen might find scoring much easier. Smith and Warner might struggle to buy a run in the IPL or succumb to their respective elbow injuries, meaning their automatic World Cup selection would require a second look. There are plenty of questions to be answered but so many variables too, so to make rash judgments at this point would be pointless. For now, let’s just hope another series win against Pakistan is on the cards.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'd like to put a shout out to my homegirl Haynetrain for his contribution to cricket terminology as per the above quoted article:

'Once a hard-hitting opener who seized the initiative early in an innings, Finch has become a plodder in his search for form, scoring at the worst strikerate of the topseven that finished the series.'

TheParraboy

Staff member
Not a bad looking side not playing for Australia, could beat the current side id say?

Warner
Short
Smith
Head
Wade (c)
Bancroft (wk)
Christian
Boyce
Starc
Hazlewood
Tye

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If we look at the squad for Pakistan four will have to make way for class players returning.

Warner - the decision has been made, he has served his time and he is one of the most damaging players in the game.

Smith - not as good an ODI player as he is in tests but still has to be there as he is all class.

Starc - the best ODI bowler going around when he's on and actually plays this format.

Hazelwood - might not be an automatic first team pick with Cummins ahead of him but a helluva back up option.

So who misses out?
Finch? No, was never going to be dropped as he was the captain and has now found form.
Khawaja? No, surely not. Has scored more runs than anyone in the world this year and has adjusted his game to keep scoring at a good pace throughout an Innings.
S Marsh? Vulnerable now that Khawaja is in such good form.
Maxwell? No way in hell, matchwinner.
Stoinis? Vulnerable. If it wasn't for his dubious claims as an allrounder he'd be first out.
Hanscombe? Vulnerable. Good squad member due to his ability to keep.
Turner? Probably first out.

Bowling wise Lyon and Zampa will probably both be picked although they may not play every game together.

I'd say Kane Richardson will be the first bowler out and then probably Behrendorff.

Carey stays as keeper but can count himself lucky really.
I think the squad will be:
Finch (c)
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
S Marsh
Carey (wk)
Starc
Cummins
Coulter Nile
J Richardson
Hazelwood
Lyon
Zampa

If we could get 10 overs out of our batsmen you could drop Stoinis.

Is there 10 overs in Maxwell, Smith, Finch in England?

If we look at the squad for Pakistan four will have to make way for class players returning.

Warner - the decision has been made, he has served his time and he is one of the most damaging players in the game.

Smith - not as good an ODI player as he is in tests but still has to be there as he is all class.

Starc - the best ODI bowler going around when he's on and actually plays this format.

Hazelwood - might not be an automatic first team pick with Cummins ahead of him but a helluva back up option.

So who misses out?
Finch? No, was never going to be dropped as he was the captain and has now found form.
Khawaja? No, surely not. Has scored more runs than anyone in the world this year and has adjusted his game to keep scoring at a good pace throughout an Innings.
S Marsh? Vulnerable now that Khawaja is in such good form.
Maxwell? No way in hell, matchwinner.
Stoinis? Vulnerable. If it wasn't for his dubious claims as an allrounder he'd be first out.
Hanscombe? Vulnerable. Good squad member due to his ability to keep.
Turner? Probably first out.

Bowling wise Lyon and Zampa will probably both be picked although they may not play every game together.

I'd say Kane Richardson will be the first bowler out and then probably Behrendorff.

Carey stays as keeper but can count himself lucky really.
I think the squad will be:
Finch (c)
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
S Marsh
Carey (wk)
Starc
Cummins
Coulter Nile
J Richardson
Hazelwood
Lyon
Zampa

Surprised you wouldn’t have Handscomb, he’s a lock. Back up keeper is essential. In fact I’d have him in the starting XI as the keeper.

I think it’ll come down to Shaun Marsh or Steve Smith for that final spot, of course I’d have Smith.

With Khawaja playing so well at opener I’d be loathe to move him.

Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb (WK)
Finch
Maxwell
Turner
Cummins
NcN
Starc
Zampa

Richardson
Wade
Hazlewood
Stoinis

Would be my squad

In reality Carey will be there, so will Lyon. So Turner & Wade would drop out.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think one of Darcy Short or Ashton Turner will make the squad. We are gonna need fire power batting.

Darcy can bowl a few overs to help out the bowling when needed, he may have an edge.

I think we will lose a lot more early wickets in the WC than what we did in Asia, so we really need to bat a bit deeper, but still maintain good R/R, this is the poms strength.

NCN should be a lock as he isn’t a bad bat, probably the best of all the bowlers. Starc and Cummins are handy as well

myrrh ken

First Grade
Gotta keep khawaja opening - thats where he has confidence. Warner can drop down somewhere and earn his stripes..

Bazal

Post Whore
I think one of Darcy Short or Ashton Turner will make the squad. We are gonna need fire power batting.

Darcy can bowl a few overs to help out the bowling when needed, he may have an edge.

I think we will lose a lot more early wickets in the WC than what we did in Asia, so we really need to bat a bit deeper, but still maintain good R/R, this is the poms strength.

NCN should be a lock as he isn’t a bad bat, probably the best of all the bowlers. Starc and Cummins are handy as well

Gotta have NCN I think. Definitely a good enough bowler and it's very important to have that guy in the tail who can blast 30 odd or more in no time. Starc is solid but doesn't hit it as far or as often as NCN. Also he's a bang into the wicket bowler which is becoming more and more useful in ODI cricket.

I also think we need to take Short. With him and Maxwell in the side, if/when conditions suit, it allows us to possibly play an extra bat or an extra quick. And you need explosive batting, 280 odd is highly unlikely to be enough on smaller grounds over there with flat decks and sides like England and India teeing off.

I think Finch and Usman finding form is a double edged sword. Yeah it's great, but now if we want Short there we have to shoe-horn four openers into the side. You probably wind up with Warner and Short opening, Usman at 3 and Finch at 4. But I bet you they leave Short out entirely.

Bazal

Post Whore
I also think we need to stop carrying Stoinis as a first pick.

He's not smart enough with the bat, he starts far too slowly and is rubbish at rotating the strike. Then he panics and gets himself out playing hacks...obviously we know what he can do, but when you come in lower in the order you don't get a heap of chances to get a score like he did in NZ. Down there the stuff you do between those chances is more important, it's about consistently getting the score moving along even if you only make 15 off 12 balls or something. He just doesn't do that, it takes him too long to start.

He's also not much more than a handy change bowler.

Have him in the squad, sure, but I can't see how he's earned a spot in the 11

Turner can bowl as well if he’s fit.

With Stoinis playing poorly we may need to get 10 overs out of Maxwell, Turner, Finch etc