What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pick your 15 man 2019 World cup squad + OFFICIAL SQUAD ANNOUNCED 15/4

Bazal

Post Whore
Turner can bowl as well if he’s fit.

With Stoinis playing poorly we may need to get 10 overs out of Maxwell, Turner, Finch etc

I could be wrong but I don't think Turner will be bowling by then?

Even if he is it won't have been for long. Not sure it would be worth counting his bowling at this stage.

I also think we need to stop carrying Stoinis as a first pick.

He's not smart enough with the bat, he starts far too slowly and is rubbish at rotating the strike. Then he panics and gets himself out playing hacks...obviously we know what he can do, but when you come in lower in the order you don't get a heap of chances to get a score like he did in NZ. Down there the stuff you do between those chances is more important, it's about consistently getting the score moving along even if you only make 15 off 12 balls or something. He just doesn't do that, it takes him too long to start.

He's also not much more than a handy change bowler.

Have him in the squad, sure, but I can't see how he's earned a spot in the 11

Agree on Stoinis, his slow starts are terrible down the order. If he’s in the team it needs to be up higher.

But the problem is where we get our final 10 overs from without him. We’re going to need to be creative.

I could be wrong but I don't think Turner will be bowling by then?

Even if he is it won't have been for long. Not sure it would be worth counting his bowling at this stage.

I don’t know tbh.

I’d just prefer him to short because we have so many openers already. But we do need some batsmen who can bowl a bit.

15 man squad is really tight for this tournament actually. Would’ve been nice being one or two more.

Bazal

Post Whore
Agree on Stoinis, his slow starts are terrible down the order. If he’s in the team it needs to be up higher.

But the problem is where we get our final 10 overs from without him. We’re going to need to be creative.

Yeah but I think with Maxwell, Finch, Short/Turner we don't need Stoinis' overs as much. There might be decks where we do, of course, but if you can get 3-4 overs out of those guys at least then you're ok for overs. And Short and Maxwell can take wickets too.

I don’t know tbh.

I’d just prefer him to short because we have so many openers already. But we do need some batsmen who can bowl a bit.

15 man squad is really tight for this tournament actually. Would’ve been nice being one or two more.

That's a fair point. But if he's not bowling I think we need to think more about fitting in a guy like Short instead because of the extra overs, and also because he bowls left arm leggies which is still something a lot of batsmen struggle against. Yeah, he;s not a frontline spinner, but he's good enough to bowl 8-10 overs when he's on song and he can pick up a cheap wicket even if he's not.

Turner, Maxwell, Finch all kind of bowl nude offies. So I'd be attracted to the idea of having that point of variation in the side.

Last edited:

lockyno1

Post Whore
I don’t know tbh.

Turner can't bowl till after the World Cup. He has delayed shoulder surgery to give him a chance at the WC. He was booked in before he was picked on the Indian tour.

Bazal

Post Whore
If they insist on picking Stoinis in the 11 then I almost think he needs to bat at 4 or 5. He just takes too long to get going, but we've been over that.

Leaving out Darcy Short is a huge mistake IMO.

If it's between Darsh and Handscomb you'd have to send Handscomb, he can keep.

I presume Jhyhyhyhyhyhyhye has been left out of the probables based on his injury? Not sure Kane Richardson is the right man to take his spot though?

tomdl

Bench
If they insist on picking Stoinis in the 11 then I almost think he needs to bat at 4 or 5. He just takes too long to get going, but we've been over that.

Leaving out Darcy Short is a huge mistake IMO.

If it's between Darsh and Handscomb you'd have to send Handscomb, he can keep.

I presume Jhyhyhyhyhyhyhye has been left out of the probables based on his injury? Not sure Kane Richardson is the right man to take his spot though?

Idk why you keep bringing up Short. He hasn’t played the last 3 ODI series and only played 1 match in the SA series before those 3. He clearly isn’t on the radar atm. Hasn’t done anything at ODI level yet to just walk in to an WC squad either. He’ll get his chances after the WC.

tomdl

Bench
Kane Richardson must be the luckiest Australian player ever if he goes to the WC. Man he sucks. Here’s hoping J Richardson is fit in time.

Bazal

Post Whore
Idk why you keep bringing up Short. He hasn’t played the last 3 ODI series and only played 1 match in the SA series before those 3. He clearly isn’t on the radar atm. Hasn’t done anything at ODI level yet to just walk in to an WC squad either. He’ll get his chances after the WC.

Because who else is there, who has been in good limited overs domestic form, who plays the hitter role that literally every other side in the WC has?

We might beat Pakistan in the UAE plodding along to 285, but that's a laughable total in the world cup. That probable squad has one batsman who strikes over 100. One!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Because who else is there, who has been in good limited overs domestic form, who plays the hitter role that literally every other side in the WC has?

We might beat Pakistan in the UAE plodding along to 285, but that's a laughable total in the world cup. That probable squad has one batsman who strikes over 100. One!

If you want a hitter play Ashton Turner.

Bazal

Post Whore
You are not seriously relying on Short bowling are we?

Well if we replace Stoinis with, say, Turner then we'll be relying on Finch for overs unless Maxwell bowls ten.

If you don't reckon Short is more likely to take wickets and threaten batsmen than those two straight-breakers I'm not sure what to tell you.

Well I am, actually. I'd call you an idiot.

James Faulkner?

Knee Injury but a performer at the highest level when he was in the team, helped up to a world cup last time around. Has also played a bit in England recently. Only 28 years old.

I cant find any recent stats though apart from Big Bash stuff. Anyone enlighten me here?

I'm not usually one to pick players on the form of the distant past. But would anyone here have him in their team?

Bazal

Post Whore
James Faulkner?

Knee Injury but a performer at the highest level when he was in the team, helped up to a world cup last time around. Has also played a bit in England recently. Only 28 years old.

I cant find any recent stats though apart from Big Bash stuff. Anyone enlighten me here?

I'm not usually one to pick players on the form of the distant past. But would anyone here have him in their team?

No.

And I'm a huge fan.

Realistically he's been good in the BBL, but there's a lot of difference bowling 4 overs rather than 10. I think he's played less than 5 domestic one day game in the past two years and only one Shield game. I just can't see him making the same impact in an ODI world cup with that sort of level of cricket over the past two years.

No.

And I'm a huge fan.

Realistically he's been good in the BBL, but there's a lot of difference bowling 4 overs rather than 10. I think he's played less than 5 domestic one day game in the past two years and only one Shield game. I just can't see him making the same impact in an ODI world cup with that sort of level of cricket over the past two years.

Thanks Baz. Yeah based on that it'd be very hard to get him a look-in. Real shame as he was a match-winner. Hopefully he's got some great seasons ahead of him though

Latest posts