What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Piss Poor Attacking Options

borat

Bench
Until we sign a decent halfback we are going to struggle wether its this year or next.

dragonfire

Bench
the team attack is so bad im surprised they dont just throw it around and chance their hand, who cares about possesion as we arent putting any real pressure on inside opposition 20s. Heck our first try was due to piss poor defence from the Storm rather than any attacking flair

Collateral

Coach
Soward is a great player (anyone see the JF Grandfinal he single handedly won for the Roosters?) But to me he is a 5/8 (He was a 5/8 through the lower grades).

We need to get a through and through organising Halfback who takes control of the game and we should also be looking to sign some fowards who like to monster and intimidate other fowards to give our backs some room to move.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Collateral said:
Soward is a great player (anyone see the JF Grandfinal he single handedly won for the Roosters?) But to me he is a 5/8 (He was a 5/8 through the lower grades).

We need to get a through and through organising Halfback who takes control of the game and we should also be looking to sign some fowards who like to monster and intimidate other fowards to give our backs some room to move.

Never a truer work spoken.

And yes, I did watch that JF GF, and also the PL GF where he pretty much did the same.

Talented kid. Just needs to be coached right. And given a proper platform by his forwards.

bornadragon

Juniors
2008 is the only thing on my mind now.

? ? ? What is the best thing or (series of events) that will make us premiers in 08 ? ? ?

In attack, well there is none. We have run out of any constructive options. NOTHING

In defense, This time it's teaching these young guys how to tackle, 1st grade style.

As for management, (THEY) should be worried about the poison that is being placed in the heads of our young guys.

We've got money. Go and get the coaching staff that best suits our needs.
In the intrem, get John Lang to help while our young guys are doing it tuff.

Ps. He is a premiership winning coach and does know his sh*t...

As supposed to what we have

Even get Phil Gould to help us out for a few weeks something is better then just watching the ship sink

This goes back to "JOBS FOR THE BOYS" mentality that our management have... And That will be their DOWNFALL

drake

First Grade
These poor kids look like roos in a spotlight as soon as things start to go south.

Woolford adds a bit of direction, but the old bastard can't stay on the field long enough to drive some consistent leadership.

Steel Dragon

Bench
We desperately need Hornby - he is the only guy who has looked like a guiding light for the team.

Ha! What am i saying "team" - we play like a bunch of guys on a field. Nothing about them (other than the same uniform) says 'team'

borat

Bench
Collateral said:

Soward is not going to work out. We don't need a 5/8th.

If you compare us to the rest of the comp we would just about have the worst halfback running around. Our best hope is for head to find his form in England and return to us in 2004/ early 2005 form.

dragonfire

Bench
Well if he can play 5/8th why not put Rangi back into PL and have Hornby playing halfback and leave Morris at the back. Either way as much as i hate to see Hornby out of his best position we need him in the halves

Collateral

Coach
borat said:
Soward is not going to work out. We don't need a 5/8th.

Why isnt he going to work out?

If you compare us to the rest of the comp we would just about have the worst halfback running around

Maybe because he is a 5/8 and not a halfback.

Soward has the potential to be one of the best in the NRL in a few seasons.

Personally, I would of liked see:

6. Jamie Soward
7. Matthew Head

We will never see the best in our halves when we have a foward pack that couldnt outmuscle or intimidate a pack of preschoolers.

borat

Bench
Collateral said:
Why isnt he going to work out?

Maybe because he is a 5/8 and not a halfback.

Soward has the potential to be one of the best in the NRL in a few seasons.

Personally, I would of liked see:

6. Jamie Soward
7. Matthew Head

We will never see the best in our halves when we have a foward pack that couldnt outmuscle or intimidate a pack of preschoolers.

I don't think our forward pack is the problem. IMO we are not capitalising on any of our attacking opportunites and in doing so can't put any pressure on the opposition.

The one game we have won with Soward we only scored 10 points and got lucky that Brisbane missed some very close chances. Soward was signed because he can kick but unfortunately he is a one trick pony and our opposition are waiting for it. I cannot remember him taking on the line once despite the fact he is obviously very fast for a halfback.

Head and Soward wouldn't work because they would be a liability in defense. Two of the worst tacklers in the comp. IMO Soward is better than Head but still is rubbish, there is a reason he couldn't make FG at the Roosters.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
_Johnsy said:
We have to be absolutely fugging kidding ourselves. It would appear the only attacking ploy apart from a kick by Soward is a shuffle across by our 6 or 7 and pass it back inside. Enough is Enough, this is totally sheet. :sick: :sick:

Welcome to our world. :lol:

_Johnsy

Referee
CHAOS said:
Welcome to our world. :lol:

yeah but you are a realistic chance to make the 8. We would struggle even to get a chance to cut oranges for the finals. I hear brownie has the boys sharpening thier knifes

Here is the proof
istockphoto_3142443_cut_oranges.jpg

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If you were another side coming up against the Dragons your not just gonna sit there and let them play footy, you are going to go out and put these young Dragons in place. Hit them hard, hold them down longer than usual, basically any trick to slow them down and not let them gain any momentum. It's not a matter of the Dragons playing poorly its the opposition targetting our weakness and using their experience to an advantage.

Browny needs to combat that. At the moment, it looks like the Dragons are just playing with their heads up their ar#$e and being intimidated by these other teams. They are not chancing their arm at all just playing safety tactics. Holding the ball for 6 tackles, and then kicking and hoping. Frustrating thing is once the opposition scores the heads go down big time and it's a matter of waiting for full time to come.

The Dragons are a young squad and have should have more enthusiasm that the opposition as well as speed, they should use this. Tire the opposition, pass it around more not this one out stuff. Most improtant play in the opposition half more. Problem is they are guaranteed to have Corey Payne or Poore give away a penalty to put the opposition in the Dragons 20. It's always the same guys doing it which is frustrating.

There is no fear of being dropped to reserve grade as there are to many injuries but maybe that is what should happen. Some guys like Payne and Poore have been pathetic this season but have no fear of being dropped cause who is gonna replace them.

These kids have won a GF in the lower grades so they can't be as bad as they are playing. It definately looks like a mental issue and nothing else.

Collateral

Coach
borat said:
I don't think our forward pack is the problem. IMO we are not capitalising on any of our attacking opportunites and in doing so can't put any pressure on the opposition.

I agree and disagree. I think our fowards are a big problem when it comes down to the crunch and they need to go that extra yard. Out of our whole foward pack, the only players that strike me as intimidating are Payne, Woolford and Creagh. Ryles works hard but is targetted and Poore just cant aim up on a weekly basis.

Soward was signed because he can kick but unfortunately he is a one trick pony and our opposition are waiting for it. I cannot remember him taking on the line once despite the fact he is obviously very fast for a halfback.

Soward was not signed just for his kicking game. We would of kept Firman if that was what we were looking for. Soward is quick and has a decent passing game too. The reason we dont see him taking on the line is because of the lack of players willing to run decoys or support and the lack of room made by the fowards.

The bottom line for me is that Soward needs time to settle and a decent playmaker alongside him.

Head and Soward wouldn't work because they would be a liability in defense. Two of the worst tacklers in the comp. IMO Soward is better than Head but still is rubbish, there is a reason he couldn't make FG at the Roosters.

Soward's defence isnt as bad as people make out...certainly not worse than Heads.
Ideally, Young, Creagh, Payne, Scott and Cooper could of covered for them defensively.

We look good for 20 minutes because thats all the new guys are currently capable of, once the fatigue kicks in they are just going through the motions.The new rookies still haven't adapted to the physical demand of playing in 1st grade league.

The commentators have said every single week lately that Cooper is being starved from the ball. How hard is it to set the line back a bit and pass the freaking ball across the line quickly and give Matt more than 1 metre worth of room to work with.

I think that Jamie Soward has ability and potential to become a great player, lets just keep him and see how he goes with Gaz, Hornby and Cooper and young all firing at the line.

dragonfire

Bench
Chase's attack was good yesterday however he needs to work more on his defence, he definitely got targeted and was bumped/palmed off easily on quite a few occasions. With Hornby back in the side i think the combination between the three will improve over the coming weeks

Drew-Sta

Staff member
We might have won today, but our attack still needs work.

Our players need to run onto the ball harder, hit the line/gap, an hold onto it.

We played a vulnerable Manly today. We showed good signs, and I'm happy we're improving, but I want to make sure it's one step at a time, not one forward then two back. Consistency is the key.

Latest posts