What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plan to expand Jubilee

R2K

Bench
Plan to expand Jubilee

By Brad Forrest - St.George Leader – 18/08/2005

St.George Illawarra wants to increase to around 20,000 the ground capacity of Kogarah’s OKI Jubilee Stadium, which is again sold out for Sunday’s league blockbuster against the Parramatta Eels.

However, the relatively small 17,000 ground capacity is unlikely to change before 2007, with the Dragons now examining moving two of their blockbuster games to larger venues next year and sharing the remaining 10 games evenly between Kogarah and WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

The success of the third-placed Dragons this season has put the boutique suburban ground under the spotlight, which both high-profile Dragons fans – number one ticket-holder, Prime Minister John Howard and newly elected NSW Premier, Morris Iemma – will see first hand when they are guests of the Club’s “St.George Heritage Day” celebrations on Sunday.

Better facilities and ground improvements, part of an $8 million Federal Government grant, have not transpired to increasing the spectator area, resulting in thousands of fans missing the sold-out local derby against Cronulla three weeks ago and Sunday’s Parramatta match.

As well, Kogarah cannot schedule an NRL semi-final and even with new lighting next year, is no certainty to pass criteria necessary for a finals match in 2006.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust told the Leader this week the club does plan to increase ground capacity to “around 20,000”, including the construction of a small grandstand on the eastern side of the ground.

“That will be part of stage three. It won’t be anything like a big 10,000-seat stand but will provide more undercover seating for more fans, around near the scoreboard,” Doust said.

“But we can’t start that work until after our stage two developments are completed next year (new lighting, extra seating, new turnstiles). We’ve worked on providing better facilities first, so it won’t be until either the end of next year or 2007.”

“In saying that we do hope the State Government, like Council and the Federal Government, continues to recognise the importance that OKI Jubilee Stadium has with our community.”

With local supporters of both Kogarah and WIN naturally canvassing for more home games, even though earlier Dragons matches did not attract big crowds, Doust admitted the club has a “difficult” decision to make about future scheduling.

He indicated that the club is looking at holding back two home games, like the traditional Dragons-Roosters Anzac Day match, and stage them at larger grounds like Aussie Stadium or Stadium Australia.

“That could mean splitting the remaining home games next season 5-5 (between Kogarah and WIN),” he said.

This year the split was again 7-5 WIN’s way, with delayed work seeing Kogarah’s five matches pushed back.

The action group R2K (Return To Kogarah) this week congratulated the Club’s decision to reject moving the Parramatta game to the larger Aussie Stadium, where the game could have attracted 40,000 fans from both the second and third-placed teams – and thus forego increased gate takings of around $300,000.

But group spokesman Lachlan McLean said if future blockbusters are relocated, the sacrifice does need to be shared between both the St.George and Illawarra key communities.

“The Dragons should not lock themselves into any new contract with a fixed number of home games at WIN Stadium,” he said.

“It would be completely unacceptable if any future switches of Dragons’ home games are only deducted from the St.George District and not the Illawarra as well. With Wollongong with a capacity of 19,500 set to host a home final, the Dragons must ensure that any future lease agreement with WIN Stadium ensures equity between the St.George and Illawarra regions. WIN Stadium has enjoyed a 7/5 advantage since 2002.”

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's now got to the stage where the eastern grandstand, overhanging the park, is going to be a must.

The battle never ends eh?

I think a stand on top of the hill might look shyte.

Maybe move the ground around a bit and do it right.

The Federal and State Govt can pay for it, haha.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My understanding is that there was draft to have an eastern stand backing off over the top of the park adjacent to ground, with facilities including shops underneath. The hill would obviously be affected but not totally.

I'm not even sure if it got the blueprint stage but there's certainly been talk about it.

Saint 60

Juniors
well do the hard core fans really want an upgrade? more ppl and the like -

that would be the only reason i can think of as to why not....bigger paddock, more ppl, more room for sponsors...more money coming in and bla bla bla
i think they have the cash...

the only reason i can think of is do we want it? Or is it business as usual at Kogarah?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If they can get it up around 20,000-25,000 with shops and car parking, the future of the ground will be assured for the next 10 years.
IMO, it would have to be a multi-purpose development.

G

gorilla

Willow said:
My understanding is that there was draft to have an eastern stand backing off over the top of the park adjacent to ground, with facilities including shops underneath. The hill would obviously be affected but not totally.

I'm not even sure if it got the blueprint stage but there's certainly been talk about it.

Hi Wills, there was plenty of talk about it at one stage. There were some constraints to development, that could have been overcome if handled right and the development was planed appropriately.

Changes to the law have now made it a bit easier - in the sense that some commercial operations could now be accepted by the State govt and council, whereas they couldn't before. It's a matter of the processes having been changed, ahem, partly by yours truely.., but the proposal is certainly achievable.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yeah, I just can't help but feel there's a lot of real estate there just waiting to be developed. If it's done right, everyone does well out of it.

Goz, are there any drafts available?

G

gorilla

Willow said:
Yeah, I just can't help but feel there's a lot of real estate there just waiting to be developed. If it's done right, everyone does well out of it.

Goz, are there any drafts available?

Bad luck about the Bags, mate. :( I'll try and drop around the clubhouse later on during the pissup.

I never saw any drafts - there was a bit of talk about it, say 2 years ago when I met with mgmt. There may have been loose concept plans drawn up when they looked at the plans and designs for the current works, but not to my knowledge.

I'm actually hoping to touch base with PD when I'm down, after the match just to remind him to keep in contact for when they do start anything.

cheers mate, catch you if you down on Sunday.