What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planning for 2012

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Now it is certain a new coach is coming the recruitment and retention for 2012 must start as soon as the new coach is announced.

These are the players off contract this year:

Matt Bell, Sandor Earl, Shane Elford, Yileen Gordon, Masada Iosefa, Daine Laurie, Nigel Plum, Adrian Purtell, David Simmons, Nathan Smith, Timana Tahu, Arana Taumata, Trent Waterhouse, Michael Worrincy

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a mass clean out so we can free up some $$$. If Tahu continues to show improvement then keep him, Bell is good but only at his current price, same with Plum. The rest i am not too fussed about keeping.

I would like to see us approach Sika Manu as Waterhouse's replacement. Make plays for Ukuma Ta'ai and Andrew Fafita as replacements for Gordon, Smith, Laurie and Worrincy.

Unfortunately we have Walsh and Burns until 2013, if we can't release them we need a decent young half or 5/8 that won't be too expensive. Shaun Johnson, Jordan Rankin and Ben Hunt are all off contract.

Another cheap young outside back is needed too. I wouldn't mind Dane Gagai as a replacement for Earl and Simmons

TeamSatan

Juniors
Wow you don't like Waterhouse do you.

He still is a top first grade player .... Hell lets stay loyal to a guy that has played his career at penrith, played for his state , and country. Won a comp for us and you trash him for sika manu.....and you would keep plum. I have a feeling your personal dislike of waterhouse may be clouding your judgement on football ability.

I would keep Sandor and Waterhouse maybe bell...the rest can go as they add nothing to the current squad.

Getting players out here that are quality is a problem and our selectors within the club have no idea about football talent....the under 20's are proof of that.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Personal dislike of Waterhouse? I think you might have me mistaken for another poster...

I just don't think we can offer House the money he is currently on, and i don't know if he is willing to take a pay cut.

tony.

Juniors
I agree with your keep list but I'd add Smith, Waterhouse and possibly Simmons depending on how much he's on.

I don't think we need a mass cleanout, it's only the halves that are a problem, however, we can't be sure whether it is a genuine lack of creativity and willingness to run the ball (in Walsh's case) or are they just following Elliott's game plan and not willing to stray from it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Smith, Waterhouse we can keep. We need an impact 2nd rower is our main problem on field. Any mentioned above are fine.

Our main prob is off the field: we need a new CEO, Development officer & recruitment officer also for 2012

lsta5838

Juniors
I think we should re-sign Waterhouse and Tahu. Potentially Bell as well.

I would like us to sign a winger that can finish. Not sure if there is anyone off contract in the NRL, maybe look to ESL? Maybe one of the Pryce brothers.

Also, an agressive forward would be great. Not sure if we can afford Blair - maybe Luke O'Donnell from ESL.

1. Coote
2. Gordon
3. Jennings
4. Tahu
5. Pryce (Karl) from ESL
6. Burns
7. Walsh
8. Grant
9. Kingston
10. Civoniceva
11. Waterhouse
12. O'Donnell (Luke) from ESL
13. Lewis

14. Seluini
15. McKendry
16. Bell
17. Fatiaki

maple_69

Bench
Obviously the club has come to a major cross roads. Not only in terms of coach but recruitment.
The team performing as they are currently needs a quality half and an attacking second rower as top priorities.

Before we start throwing cash around I'd really like the club to test the available options in the halves, probably Coote and Taumata as well as a guy like Sene-Lefao, Gordon (possibly getting a crack this week), Vaurasi as well as the option of Waterhouse on the bench.

If we could snare a Cronk, Thurston, Prince, Carney, Campese, Lockyer quality half, I would be fine with just that. I'd like to think that Fatiaki, Lewis, Vaurasi and Vaipuna can offer us a high quality back row in 2 years.

*Sandy*

First Grade
You can't let go Housey! It's players like him that win premierships for their clubs. It means so much more to them. Just ask Girds, Gowie, Wess and the Big unit T.

Big Mick

Referee
Here was my post from PI:

Out of our players...

I would sign.....none of them to their current deals.

Waterhouse for just above half his pay he is getting now - then I'll sign him.

Matt Bell for $125k then i'll sign him.

Everyone else can go.

Free up as much space as possible with cap increases & letting players go.

We've already missed the boat it seems for some promising players i.e. Tom Symonds & Junior Vai Vai but lets look at the following players:

Gareth Widdop - Guy is all class. Can play five-eight or fullback. He'd provide some creativity to our halves.
Jharal Yoh Yeh - unlucky with injuries but is a class winger & finisher.
Josh Mcguire - I think he'll re-sign with Brisbane. But he is extremely talented and would provide spark and impact.
Sio Vave - Bring him back. Even as a back up prop.
Jordon Rankin - Was highly touted halfback. played 1-2 games and looked good. Still think he is playing in the 20's. I think he'd be worth a look especially if we cannot attract Widdop.
Dean Whare - Been high on this guy for a while. Classy centre who wont get a chance at Manly while Lyon/Matai are centres.
Shaun Johnson - An extremely talented five-eight/half who wont get a chance at the Warriors it seems. One of the most gifted ball players I've seen. If we can't get Widdop, lets go aggressively at him.
Tini Arona - Get him back. Great young player.
Andrew Fifita - Talented backrower who provides impact.

These are all young guys who we can attract with the wage between $100k-$200k, with the exception to maybe Widdop & Fifita. All would be looking for further opportunity & all would provide instant spark and impact for our team.

Big Mick

Referee
I'd even put feelers out there for David Tyrell, Ukuma Ta'i (Although I thought he'd just re-signed) and Sika Manu among some more established players.

Big Mick

Referee
My ideal team:

1. Michael Gordon, 2. Jharal Yoh Yeh, 3. Michael Jennings, 4. Dean Whare, 5. Ryan Walker/Lachlan Coote, 6. Shaun Johnson, 7. Travis Burns, 8. Tim Grant, 9. Kevin Kingston, 10. Petero Civoniceva, 11. Sika Manu, 12. Ukuma Ta'i, 13. Luke Lewis
RES: 14. Sam McKendry, 15. Andrew Fifita, 16. Sarafu Fatiaki, 17. Nafe Seluini

Still need a quality halfback...but overall i'm happy with that as a squad to build off.

Love the backline. Young, fast and exciting. Attacking spark at five-eight who isn't afraid to take on the line. Attacking second rowers hitting the edge with good offloading ability & impact off the bench.

Likelihood this happens? absolutely zero. But I can dream can't I?

Fibroman

First Grade
My ideal team:

1. Michael Gordon, 2. Jharal Yoh Yeh, 3. Michael Jennings, 4. Dean Whare, 5. Ryan Walker/Lachlan Coote, 6. Shaun Johnson, 7. Travis Burns, 8. Tim Grant, 9. Kevin Kingston, 10. Petero Civoniceva, 11. Sika Manu, 12. Ukuma Ta'i, 13. Luke Lewis
RES: 14. Sam McKendry, 15. Andrew Fifita, 16. Sarafu Fatiaki, 17. Nafe Seluini

Still need a quality halfback...but overall i'm happy with that as a squad to build off.

Love the backline. Young, fast and exciting. Attacking spark at five-eight who isn't afraid to take on the line. Attacking second rowers hitting the edge with good offloading ability & impact off the bench.

Likelihood this happens? absolutely zero. But I can dream can't I?

You've lost the plot Mick.

We've got a 5/8th that will take the line on. His name is Taumata, but minibus Elliott won't give him a run.

It's taken him this long to drop Purts out of the 17.

We need a genuine ball playing backrower. Waterhouse is way past his best.

Latest posts