What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player & Coach Deadline Change Needed

siv

First Grade
We really need to sort out the new found mess introduced by the 12 month or Nov 1 deadline

Its just plain too long

We see players signing over a year out and hated by the fans for that season

And this year we have had a fiasco in the coaching ranks

I propose we reduce these windows

Plays to be reduced back to 3 months or August 1

Coaches to have a new 4 month limit imposed ie July 1

In season player transfer windows to still occur pre-Jun 30

But in two windows
- Mar 1-15 2 weeks prior to season starting
- Jun 1-30

Something has to change sorry the RLPA and NRL got the Nov 1 deadline wrong in a big way

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
We see players signing over a year out and gated by the fans for that season
Assuming you meant hated, I think that's a stretch. And is players signing "over a year out" actually that common? I guess we'll find out in the coming days but I reckon plenty will wait and see.

And this year we have had a fuasco in the coaching ranks
Really? Fiasco? A handful of coaches changed clubs and there's two who are doing a swapsies in 12 months, possibly earlier.

It's not ideal for the clubs involved but I think 'fiasco' is overstating the situation. I also don't know that it has much to do with this deadline either?
Something has to change sorry the TLPA and NRL got the Nov 1 deadline wrong in a big way
Yeah nah. Sorry, sky isn't falling.

siv

First Grade
Easy to say when its not your livelihood on the line.

Red when was the last time you signed for a job a year in advance ?

I never have. Other than RL I am not aware of any industry that does this

Normal jobs give only 2 or 4 weeks notice

3 or 4 months is plenty for RL

And is in line with most transfers that occured over the last 30-40 years of RL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Siv Ive never worked in an industry where there are only 16 jobs available or 400 if your a player. I guess if the industry I worked in was so elite and had so few opportunities then I would absolutely be locking in contracts well in advance, especially if my job meant that my current performance was very much reflected in my opportunity to earn more money in my next contract. I think a 6 month period is ok but in reality it would just mean stuff would be negotiated behind closed doors, leaked to the media and months of speculation. Maybe as fans we just have to accept that as the sport becomes richer that players and coaches become more mercenary?

Last Week

Bench
Happens in all professional sports.

You can put what ever trade restrictions you like on it, they're still going to negotiate and will just register the contract the day after they're allowed to.

siv

First Grade

You can put what ever trade restrictions you like on it, they're still going to negotiate and will just register the contract the day after they're allowed to.

Which is the reason for the shorter transfer period windows

thorson1987

Coach

Exactly.

Liverpool FC signed Naby Keita from RB Leipzig in the 2017 summer window to come over in the 2018 window.

Fire

First Grade
We really need to sort out the new found mess introduced by the 12 month or Nov 1 deadline

Its just plain too long

We see players signing over a year out and hated by the fans for that season

And this year we have had a fiasco in the coaching ranks

I propose we reduce these windows

Plays to be reduced back to 3 months or August 1

Coaches to have a new 4 month limit imposed ie July 1

In season player transfer windows to still occur pre-Jun 30

But in two windows
- Mar 1-15 2 weeks prior to season starting
- Jun 1-30

Something has to change sorry the RLPA and NRL got the Nov 1 deadline wrong in a big way
Do you not sleep at night curled up in the fetal position worrying about this shit?

The 1 November for commencement of negotiations with players coming off contract the following year applies only to players. There are no restrictions at all in relation to coaches.

siv

First Grade
How would that fix clubs doing it in secret and announcing after the deadline? That's what the comment you responded to was saying.

You can't

Just like Nov 1 deadline you can't also

But by moving it back to Aug 1 it stops all of the poaching negative press 16 months out from a season kickoff

There will be rumours but a player cannot sign and be registered

siv

First Grade
The 1 November for commencement of negotiations with players coming off contract the following year applies only to players. There are no restrictions at all in relation to coaches.

Yes but there should be one for coaches

Push Nov 1 back to Aug 1 and the pressure from players demanding to know who their coach is, drops

Thats why coaches deadline should be a month before a player deadline

Just look at the current coaching circus - it all played out in the month before the Nov 1 deadline

big hit!

Bench
Yes but there should be one for coaches

Push Nov 1 back to Aug 1 and the pressure from players demanding to know who their coach is, drops

Thats why coaches deadline should be a month before a player deadline

Just look at the current coaching circus - it all played out in the month before the Nov 1 deadline

There really shouldn't be one for coaches.

It should be professional suicide for a coach to up stumps from his incumbent club while still contracted for another year, and move elsewhere. A loss financially (to get out of the contract), and more importantly, a loss of integrity should be enough of a deterrent.

This thing with Clearly wouldn't be happening without his son. Ivan has made an emotional decision, not a professional one. You could also say that they've also made a killing (after compo to Tigers) as a family unit.

If this Cleary/Penrith shit wasn't going down, there would be a lot more scrutiny on Seibold considering the Brisbane option while still contracted with Souths for another season, and Brisbane actively seeking a coach before they had ended Bennett's term. f**king grub of a club. Get rid of Bennett and find your coach to start this off-season if Wayne isn't in your long-term plans. What they've done is also f**k around another club who need to spend resources to lock in their future direction before the new season begins in just a few weeks.

Bennett will be at Souths and Seibold at Brisbane in a week or two, but no before a f**k load of wrangling between the coaches and clubs re compo, an impact which Brisbane will try and make less of a burden for themselves financially - Netionwide News Ltd merkins