What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Market

I just had a look on Zero Tackle at the players off contract next season and there doesn't appear to be much good talent still on offer. Of what is still on offer I would be interested in us signing Pangai Junior, Oates, B Morris and Hetherington. Oldfield could offer us a bit of speed on the wing, but I am not completely sold on him.

We should already be looking at who is off contract at the end of 2019. Players I have identified who would be on my shpping list are Rapana, Kikau (if we signed Kikau, I would then move Frizell to prop), D Walker, Tom Wright, Asofa Solomona, Munster, Hess (to play prop), Sam Burgess, George Burgess, Tom Burgess.

PS I doubt that we will sign any of the players that I mentioned in this post, besides maybe B Morris, but he will probably end up at Easts. Oldfield would be another that we could end up with.
No one will make a difference until we get a coach who can get the players up to play rubbish teams.

nontime111

Juniors
I can guarantee you that if we had some speedy classy three quarters, it would make difference.
hows this for an idea...

Herbert and Lomax in there right now as centres

Mann to one wing, Nene on the other, Nights gone....

next year sign a GUN winger!

next season

Dufty
( bought gun young winger)
Lomax
Herbert
Widdy
Hunt

and a NEW COACH please..... and One gun prop

getsmarty

Immortal
hows this for an idea...

Herbert and Lomax in there right now as centres

Mann to one wing, Nene on the other, Nights gone....

next year sign a GUN winger!

next season

Dufty
( bought gun young winger)
Lomax
Herbert
Widdy
Hunt

and a NEW COACH please..... and One gun prop

Pipe dreams...Mary is under contract til the end of next year...the club will not sack him....they will probably see making the finals as a major feat and extend him...sorry for the bad news.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
i said it before and il say it again IF MARY HAD THE NSW STATE OF ORIGIN TEAM he still couldnt win the grand final .THIS GREAT CLUB NEEDS A COACH NOT LEONARDO DI VINCI .........TIME TO GET ON YOUR JETSKI AND GET OUT OF TOWN

This might be the most insane thing anyone has said on this forum and that’s a high bar, friends.

Is it though?
Look at what we have.
4 current SOO forwards.
2 current international props
1 current SOO half
1 current international half
That's 8 current internationals.

1 hooker who was 2nd choice for SOO.
1 centre who was in discussions about Origin.
Various Pacific internationals.

Given that and despite currently being 3rd, beyond my expectations at the start of the year admittedly, should we not expect to win comps?

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Getting five Origin players to play with only three days break is close to insanity which clearly showed in the results. Half our pack was busted and our backs were typically unstructured in attack and defence with the pace of a snail.

Getting five Origin players to play with only three days break is close to insanity which clearly showed in the results. Half our pack was busted and our backs were typically unstructured in attack and defence with the pace of a snail.
Our line speed in defence has been shocking for weeks.
We let Smith run at will, we let Farrah and Benji run at will.
I see no sign this is being fixed.

The Damo

Juniors
Yes Vaughan was so close to crippled he only managed to break 7 tackles and run 169 metres.
And poor Frizz could only limp his busted carcass to 104 metres with 3 tackle breaks.
Sims and Jack were so broken together they only made 10 metres less and broke the same amount of tackles combined as did the tigers 11 and 13, despite being on the team that had a full ten minutes less with the ball in hand.
And between the four of them they missed a whopping 5 tackles out of 135.
Poor busted barstards :wink:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I'm starting to doubt my faith in Aitkens abilities Frank.
Never had any in Lafais "rock and diamonds" approach.

What I'm about to say is a sobering thought and a major contributor as to why I don't believe SGI cannot with the flag this year. Despite SGI fielding 6 Origin or International backs out of the 7 who played against the Tigers, only one could be considered a good overall defender ie Widdop. Let's forget about attack for the minute. Dufty, for example, can only defend attackers coming straight at him (presumably because that is the way the defensive drills at training are structured). Once an attacker steps/ swerves and gets on his outside, he can't cope. He also can't cope with two players coming at him- rather than being decisive and going to the player with the ball, he gives up and effectively waves both players through.

I could dissect Aitken and his poor reads and the rest of them but I would only depress myself and anyone reading this. Good luck to Luke Phillips- you're going to earn your money!

getsmarty

Immortal
Yes Vaughan was so close to crippled he only managed to break 7 tackles and run 169 metres.
And poor Frizz could only limp his busted carcass to 104 metres with 3 tackle breaks.
Sims and Jack were so broken together they only made 10 metres less and broke the same amount of tackles combined as did the tigers 11 and 13, despite being on the team that had a full ten minutes less with the ball in hand.
And between the four of them they missed a whopping 5 tackles out of 135.
Poor busted barstards :wink:

That's more a reflection on their "Ticker"...DeBelin is not 100% same with Tyson and Hunt.Should have been rested.

What I'm about to say is a sobering thought and a major contributor as to why I don't believe SGI cannot with the flag this year. Despite SGI fielding 6 Origin or International backs out of the 7 who played against the Tigers, only one could be considered a good overall defender ie Widdop. Let's forget about attack for the minute. Dufty, for example, can only defend attackers coming straight at him (presumably because that is the way the defensive drills at training are structured). Once an attacker steps/ swerves and gets on his outside, he can't cope. He also can't cope with two players coming at him- rather than being decisive and going to the player with the ball, he gives up and effectively waves both players through.

I could dissect Aitken and his poor reads and the rest of them but I would only depress myself and anyone reading this. Good luck to Luke Phillips- you're going to earn your money!
I'll give Dufty a pass due to his inexperience and CHOOSE to believe his defence will get better.
I do want to question what the hell has gone wrong with our defensive line that he has to deal with two attacking players coming at him at once, who went missing?
I would say it's Hunt, Aitken, Lafai, Nightingale and Nene.

We started playing a slide defence in the early half of the year, with expected good results.
Recently we have seen the return of the up and in defence, with equally expected results.

Gareth67

First Grade
Our line speed in defence has been shocking for weeks.
We let Smith run at will, we let Farrah and Benji run at will.
I see no sign this is being fixed.

I said just that before each of those games in regards to Smith and Farrah . If I could see it then I am quite sure that others in the forum could see it also . Of all players who know how to get the attack rolling those 2 gentlemen (?) are it . Does that make me coaching material ? Hardly , but why in the name of hell were those 2 players given such latitude ?

They reaped the rewards of the freedom given to them and we , well let’s just say that the Dragons lost 4 most valuable competition points . It was so apparent to everyone that both Smith and Farrah had to be contained but were not , the Storm game I can see why - we simply had too many of our regular 1st graders out . But there was no excuse for not keeping Farrah in check , IMO .

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
I said just that before each of those games in regards to Smith and Farrah . If I could see it then I am quite sure that others in the forum could see it also . Of all players who know how to get the attack rolling those 2 gentlemen (?) are it . Does that make me coaching material ? Hardly , but why in the name of hell were those 2 players given such latitude ?

They reaped the rewards of the freedom given to them and we , well let’s just say that the Dragons lost 4 most valuable competition points . It was so apparent to everyone that both Smith and Farrah had to be contained but were not , the Storm game I can see why - we simply had too many of our regular 1st graders out . But there was no excuse for not keeping Farrah in check , IMO .
Old mate you can see it , I can see it , most on here can see it , but they don't see it ...