What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Market

JDHD

Juniors
Is it though?
Look at what we have.
4 current SOO forwards.
2 current international props
1 current SOO half
1 current international half
That's 8 current internationals.

1 hooker who was 2nd choice for SOO.
1 centre who was in discussions about Origin.
Various Pacific internationals.

Given that and despite currently being 3rd, beyond my expectations at the start of the year admittedly, should we not expect to win comps?

That’s not what he said. He said “if you have a team of rep players, you should be winning a comp every second year”. Let’s reallt dissect that:
- only one team can win it every year,
- each premiership team gets pillaged by teams with cap space looking for a quick fix
- people aren’t as motivated the second or third time around if they won it the first time,
- injuries or suspensions can easily ruin a season
- drop off in form happens to the best of them (its happening to Thurston right before our eyes)
- leaving aside all of that, it’s also just really f**king difficult.

blacksafake

First Grade
I said just that before each of those games in regards to Smith and Farrah . If I could see it then I am quite sure that others in the forum could see it also . Of all players who know how to get the attack rolling those 2 gentlemen (?) are it . Does that make me coaching material ? Hardly , but why in the name of hell were those 2 players given such latitude ?

They reaped the rewards of the freedom given to them and we , well let’s just say that the Dragons lost 4 most valuable competition points . It was so apparent to everyone that both Smith and Farrah had to be contained but were not , the Storm game I can see why - we simply had too many of our regular 1st graders out . But there was no excuse for not keeping Farrah in check , IMO .
Agree Gareth,
And this week it'll be JT's turn

Frank Facer

First Grade
In the article I read about Easts chasing Pangai Junior, they were saying that he is asking for 600K plus a season. If I was Millward I would be going to 750K a season for 4 or 5 years. We would still probably miss him, as Easts will offer 600K a season and another 300K a season in TPA's

TomRedVRiver

Bench
In the article I read about Easts chasing Pangai Junior, they were saying that he is asking for 600K plus a season. If I was Millward I would be going to 750K a season for 4 or 5 years. We would still probably miss him, as Easts will offer 600K a season and another 300K a season in TPA's

There is no point saying all of this because it's literally just complete speculation. Those numbers aren't based on anything, no knowledge of our cap and where it's at, no knowledge of the club's future plans, no knowledge of the Roosters' TPAs and cap situation.

TPJ will stay in Brisbane.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Is it though?
Look at what we have.
4 current SOO forwards.
2 current international props
1 current SOO half
1 current international half
That's 8 current internationals.

1 hooker who was 2nd choice for SOO.
1 centre who was in discussions about Origin.
Various Pacific internationals.

Given that and despite currently being 3rd, beyond my expectations at the start of the year admittedly, should we not expect to win comps?

You also have to take into account, what the other teams have, Bronco's, Roosters, Souths Melb, etc have just as many rep players as well, so not every team can win, the Bronco's have won 1 GF in the last 12 or so years yet they have had a plethora of Reps, Melb have had Slater/Cronk/Smith etc and have officially won 2 in the last 6 years, Manly 2 in 4 years besides them no one else has won 2 GF within a short period

That’s not what he said. He said “if you have a team of rep players, you should be winning a comp every second year”. Let’s reallt dissect that:
- each premiership team gets pillaged by teams with cap space looking for a quick fix
- people aren’t as motivated the second or third time around if they won it the first time,
- drop off in form happens to the best of them (its happening to Thurston right before our eyes)

All good points...

That's what I read, 600k, which the Broncos could match, but they can't compete with the "roosters" brown paper bags.........I mean "package"

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
By any chance were you running the bulldogs recruitment & retention department over the past few years?

Crush

Coach
hows this for an idea...

Herbert and Lomax in there right now as centres

Mann to one wing, Nene on the other, Nights gone....

next year sign a GUN winger!

next season

Dufty
( bought gun young winger)
Lomax
Herbert
Widdy
Hunt

and a NEW COACH please..... and One gun prop
Aitken and lafai are signed for the next couple of years.
They aren't going anywhere.

Frank Facer

First Grade
By any chance were you running the bulldogs recruitment & retention department over the past few years?
I think if we signed Pangai Junior for 750K a season for 4 years, we would have got ourselves a bargain. I think he will be one of the best props in the game over the next 8 years or so. Fifita signed with Canterbury for a reported 850K a season a few years ago, and Easts said that they offered more. Since then the salary cap has increased and will most likely be increasing again over the next 4 years. Good props are a very valuable commodity these days. I think Fifita then back flipped on his Canterbury deal and signed with Cronulla for at least 750K a season. We even offered Fifita at least 700K that time, it could have even been 750K a season.

I doubt very much that Taupau would come for anything less than 750K a season. The same applies to Klemmer.

So, would be against offering Pangai Junior 750K a season for four years? Keep shopping at Go Lo and the Reject Shop and try winning a comp with offcuts.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Aitken and lafai are signed for the next couple of years.
They aren't going anywhere.
If we did manage to sign a top centre and promoted Lomax to the other centre position, then dropped Aitken and Lafai to reserve grade. I think they would both want to secure new contracts with other clubs, while they were still considered first grade players, instead of languishing in reserve grade and their value dropping in the process. I think there would be a bit of interest in Aitken and I think Lafai could even secure a new contract at an NRL club, but don't ask me which clubs.

Contracts don't mean that much today.

Frank Facer

First Grade
When Bennett won his comps at Brisbane, he always had more than a full team of rep players and those teams didn't get pillaged by other teams back then either.

I disagree that when players win a comp that they aren't as motivated to win a second or third time. It think they get a taste of it and want more. I know I would.

Only one team can win the comp each year and the team with the best roster has the best chance of winning the comp each year.