What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player of the Year 2016

Kilkenny

Coach
Maybe a bit early for this thread but I don't think the last four rounds will change the voting.

Trent Merrin by a country mile for player of the year. Only other possible candidate would be Josh Mansour who has had an outstanding season.

Certainly Nathan Cleary is a shoe in for best young talent at our club and may well figure in the Dally M's for best new talent.

Unless something dramatically changes in the last four rounds I am thinking:

1. Trent Merrin.
2. Josh Manour.
3. Yeo/Latu/Wallace/Moylan.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Moylan has done sweet FA really this season.

Merrin could miss every game from here on and still be deserving of it.

Mansour a close second, both earn their coin every week.

martielang

Bench
Merrin, Mansour, Yeo, and Latu are the four standouts for me.

Merrin keeps this form up and he'll walk it home, but Mansour has probably been more consistent across the whole year IMO.

Pomoz

Bench
Merrin, Mansour and Yeo for me. In that order.

Merrin has been consistently good from day one. Mansour had a quiet start to the year but is finishing like Mo Farah. Yeo a big improver and consistent performer.

Moylan a lacklustre year. Good in parts but sometimes quiet and predictable
Latu too late and sometimes runs too sideways when he thinks he is Andrew Johns.

A special mention for our whipping boy Cartwright. The most brilliant player for mine. Moments of pure genius doing things nobody else can. At times we don't win if he is not on our team. Crazy considering how inexperienced he is. That said, even though he has improved during the year, he has been too inconsistent to be player of the year.

betcats

Referee
He played on game so this is still his rookie season. Ash Taylor will deserves it tbh he has been fantastic all year.

maple_69

Bench
Taylor is a lock for it imo unless he falls off a cliff and Cleary has a storming final few weeks.

I'd give it to Yeo to be honest. He tries his guts out wherever he plays, doesn't make mistakes, doesn't miss tackles or give pebalties away and is really improving as a bull runner. Merrin has been good all year but only started really hitting his stride in the past month. Mansour similar.

I think Wallace deserves a mention at least. Maybe club man of the year.

mxlegend99

Referee
Taylor is a lock for it imo unless he falls off a cliff and Cleary has a storming final few weeks.

I'd give it to Yeo to be honest. He tries his guts out wherever he plays, doesn't make mistakes, doesn't miss tackles or give pebalties away and is really improving as a bull runner. Merrin has been good all year but only started really hitting his stride in the past month. Mansour similar.

Mansour has been great nearly the entire season. His attacking stats are amazing:

Josh Mansour
19 games played
3264m gained / avg 171.8 per game (2nd)
320 runs (7th)
104 tackle breaks (3rd... 1st and 2nd have 105)
11 tries (13th)
17 line breaks (3rd)
15 offloads
18 errors

He has been putting in all season. His last few weeks have been an improvement. But not to the point where he wasnt great before then.

He averages over 10m per run too. Not bad for a bloke whos typically doing the hard yards out of trouble.

Pomoz

Bench

Here are the stats for Yeo and Merrin:

Yeo - 524 tackles, 22 MT, 2007m run, 6 LB, 2 TA, 10 OL, E 8, 10, PenC, played 19
Merrin - 655 tackles, 42 MT, 2938m run, 5 LB, 0 TA, 44 OL, E 3, 11 PenC, played 20

Good effort by Yeo, especially in the missed tackles area. Merrin's strength is his ability to pound out metres and tackles. He has played a game less than Yeo and yet has 33% more running metres and 20% more tackles. He really is a workhorse. Given Merrin's output and let's be honest his metres are usually up the centre, not out wide where Yeo tends to play more, I couldn't in good conscience give it to to Yeo. Having said that, considering Yeo is a year two rookie he has developed into a very, very good player.

He should also get a special "Pamplona" award for his bull running........

betcats

Referee
Merrins output has been the best there's no denying that but it's what you expect from Merrin as a marquee signing. I can see what Maple is getting at, For 21 Yeo has been incredibly consistent and a rock defensively, my first thought was Yeo but I'm a big fan of his.

Just a side note Yeo debuted round 1 2014.

Pomoz

Bench
Merrins output has been the best there's no denying that but it's what you expect from Merrin as a marquee signing. I can see what Maple is getting at, For 21 Yeo has been incredibly consistent and a rock defensively, my first thought was Yeo but I'm a big fan of his.

Just a side note Yeo debuted round 1 2014.
Yeah, only 10 appearances though. But he has now played 51 games!!! Almost not a rookie, but that is still just two seasons worth of games. He is a fast learner, no doubt.