1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL & NRLW along with the match programme for the coming weekend of action in the NRL Finals, NRLW, Challenge Cup, Super League, NZRL and the Toulouges Nines!

In this week's edition Paul Jobber goes one-on-one with retired NRL match official Gavin Badger, Rick Edgerton looks at some of the legendary halves pairings as Penrith pair Nathan Cleary & Jarome Luai ascend to potential greatness, and we look at a world of rugby league this coming weekend with Steve Mascord.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Finals Week 3, NRLW Round 3, Challenge Cup Final, Super League Round 16, NZRL Premiership and Toulouges Nines programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 21 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Players I would Cut If I Could After This Season

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by TheRam, Mar 17, 2013.

1. TheRam

TheRam First Grade

Just thinking of the biggest liability players in our team this season and I would have to say that these three are at the top of my list.

Ben Smith
    Ben Roberts
    Matt Keating

2. strider

strider Post Whore

you've just released 84 tackles (+ whatever roberts did) from last thursday's game

#justSayin'

3. IFR33K

IFR33K Coach

BS wouldn't be eating much from our cap, considering consessions, but yeah can't disagree about the other two.

We finally snare a half, but now require a hooker.

4. Kornstar

Kornstar Coach

I'd keep Smith too for the same reasons, the other 2 can go though!

5. mickdo

mickdo Coach

My list order (top of list is first to go) would be

Keating
    Smith
    Roberts

I think Roberts would be ok if only used as a 14. If we supposedly have a mountain of cap room next year then cap concessions shouldn't really be a factor (and we do have other long-term players).

6. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

All 3 can go at the end of the season as far as i'm concerned.

7. Eels Dude

Eels Dude Coach

What hookers are available on the open market? It's a position the club has neglected for depth for a couple of years now, surely we can find someone from another club that offers more than Keating because we seem to be lacking in the lower grades there too.

Ben Smith seems to offer absolutely nothing in attack these days. Sure he can tackle, but if he's playing wide we need more than that. Not fussed on Roberts. Ryan has gone ok this year, but couldn't be fussed if he left either. And of course Lasalo is the first player that comes to mind despite him not playing this year yet.

8. Avenger

Avenger Referee

Just off the top of my head:

Roberts
    Keating
    Lasallo
    Smith
    POH
    Mullaney
    Willie Tonga
    Peni Terepo

(There is about a $1 million just there)

9. The Colonel

The Colonel Immortal

Unfortunately only Roberts is off contract.

In saying that though other than Farah, what decent hookers are off contract. And by decent I mean an upgrade on Keating? Defensively he holds his own. He could be used in the same way Canberra used Alan Tongue and effectively how the Storm use Hinchcliffe.

Hopefully Prichard, Vescio or one of our other young hookers can come through unless the idea is to use Kelly at hooker with the apparent purchase of Norman which I don't necessarily believe to be a good thing.

It's all good to say we should cut this player or that player but there have to be alternatives and whole our juniors show promise at this stage we have lost a mountain of experience that is hard to replace it certainly isn't helped by releasing more.

10. Avenger

Avenger Referee

That's not true Colonel or do you mean hookers only ? Of all the players I have listed only Ben Smith is still contracted for 2014.

11. I bleed blue & gold

I bleed blue & gold First Grade

Most of those blokes are off contract too. We should be looking at letting alot go.

Eels Dude, pretty much the only one i would go for that is off contract (apart from Farah) would be Mitch Rein.

12. mickdo

mickdo Coach

I thought Tonga and Smith were off contract at the end of the year

Add Keating to that too

13. The Colonel

The Colonel Immortal

I was talking regarding the first three names mentioned.

The players you have mentioned then I am certain that both Smith and Keating signed new deals last year. Given that few of the ones mentioned have kicked on as expected I would think they will be gone anyway unless we are looking for cheap backup.

14. mickdo

mickdo Coach

Not according to this list published in late January...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/johnathan-thurston-headlines-the-list-of-nrl-players-off-contract-at-the-end-of-2013/story-fn2mcuj6-1226562348268

15. the_apostle21

the_apostle21 Juniors

16. Jason70

Jason70 Juniors

I think Mitch Rein is off contract. He goes pretty good in a average side. Got a feeling Stuart is going to try to turn Kelly into a hooker if he snares Corey Norman.

17. mickdo

mickdo Coach

Anyone think Kingston still has something to offer?

18. jason taylor

jason taylor Bench

Nope, that would be like giving John Morris another contract.

19. TheRam

TheRam First Grade

I don't think Smith is on as little as you guys think.

And considering how he offers absolutely nothing in attack and actually stymies it to an absolute halt, any other player that can make 25-35 tackles a game would offer the same or more in attack then he does, without the game losing penalties.

20. Barry O'Speedwagon

Barry O'Speedwagon Coach

Yeh, but he is eligible for salary cap concessions, which means that any player signed as a direct replacement has to be X% better. I'm happy to keep Smith as a 'depth re-signing'. He won't be on big money in 2014 anyway (regardless of cap concession)...I can't imagine other clubs are fighting to sign him presently. You always need some depth players, and if you can get one with a salary cap discount, that makes sense to me. Doesn't mean he'd be in my top 13 (or 17).