What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

myrrh ken

First Grade
I'm not convinced advance Australia fair does

Young and free a bit too ambiguous for you?

What about the original lyrics about gallant Cook from Albion raising old England's flag, England soil being the Fatherland, and Australians being Britannia's sons that keep the courage green.

DC_fan

Coach
It was in the media before too.

Not sure he is “refusing” to sing it as it is not compulsory.
He just doesn’t sing it.
Plenty of white fellas don’t sing it either.

Not sure it was in the media to the degree that it was in the lead up to Origin 1. Certainly i had not come across it before that.

I have no problem if players don't sing it. I don't.

2 weeks

Coach
I've always thought that " Kev's Courtin' Song " by Kevin Bloody Wilson should be the national anthem , but each to their own .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
NRL All Stars set to scrap the anthem out of respect for indigenous players

The Australian Rugby League Commission is reportedly set to scrap the Australian national anthem from this month’s All Stars fixtures.

The Australian newspaper is reporting the commission will on Thursday vote to not play Advance Australia Fair before the women’s and men’s games on the Gold Coast on February 22.

Many of the Indigenous All Stars players - led by captain Cody Walker - last year boycotted the anthem by choosing not to sing it when it was played at AAMI Park in Melbourne.

During the State of Origin series, a number of those players again opted not to sing the anthem.

Advance Australia Fair is controversial in that many Aboriginal people believe it does not recognise them as the nation’s first people, and is in fact harmful and disrespectful to their history and culture.

“It just brings back so many memories of what’s happened (in Australia’s past),” Walker said after captaining the Indigenous team to victory last year.

“It’s something that everyone as a group and everyone in Australia need to get together and working something out.

“It doesn’t represent myself and my family.”

There’s been a big push from some communities to have the national anthem changed to better recognise and celebrate Aboriginal people and culture.

The Indigenous team will spend a week on the Gold Coast promoting the game and their culture, alongside the Maori players who they will face on game day.

On Wednesday, indigenous leader Latrell Mitchell took to Instagram to post an emotional tribute to his culture.

He will line up for the Indigenous All Stars on February 22.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/a6d18e5b9440c176822dc97470232a85

King hit

Coach
Might get flamed for this but I would much prefer if the players not use sport to drive their political beliefs. It can never end well, South Africa with rugby comes to mind.

Don’t care about the national anthem not being played but just wish we didn’t make sport political

YoHadrian

Juniors
Change the anthem to Bow River by Chisel. Imagine the grooving & air guitaring in the stands & by the players.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Might get flamed for this but I would much prefer if the players not use sport to drive their political beliefs. It can never end well, South Africa with rugby comes to mind.

Don’t care about the national anthem not being played but just wish we didn’t make sport political

Isn't playing the anthem at a game already a political statement?