What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players we need

schnitzel

Juniors
1. Experienced prop

With the inevitable loss of O'Hara and the limited game time of Weyman, this is a must. Thommo has cemented one spot, but he needs a partner if we are to be a force. OK, we have Williams and Lomu, but neither seem to have much endurance, probably better used off the bench. Tilse is still an unknown quantity. My targets would be:

Stuart Fielden - if we are ever a chance of getting him it's now. We have a chunk of money to throw at him and he has a get out clause and wants to play NRL before he's past it. Come on Elliott, use whatever connections you have to sign him.

Luke Bailey - probably have to offer 500 k to get him, he is so sought after.

Jason Cayless - a better option for mine, best prop for Kiwis and more dynamic than bailey. Probably won't fit under cap at roosters, we should make a huge play for this guy.

Paleaasina - the Rhino is getting better all the time, huge impact yesterday. Can score a try as well. But maybe not a starter. Worth a shot at right price?

2. Ball playing backrower

We are losing up to 4 backrowers next season. Have some young guns in kahler, rothery, miller, hodgson to step up but none of them are ball players. Need someone tough and can go the distance but has an offload before and through the line.

Chris Flannery - Number one choice. proven performer, and with this guy you get 3 for one because he is equally good at centre or 5/8. Incredibly valuable and worth 300k plus I reckon. best footy ahead of him also. However Ricko has been forced to retire so odds are Flannery will be long term lock for Roosters.

Ashley harrison - Similar to Flannery but younger. Not as versatile however. We may be a chance of getting him.

Neville Costigan - I like this guy. he's tough as teak and has enough ball skills to cover hooker. Could be the enforcer we need in defence.

Nate Myles - Going great guns for bulldogs before injury. Will play SOO and big enough to play prop if needed.

3. Halfback

Withers will be hooker in 2007, and should be used off the bench to substitute an ageing Woolford next year. Carney has a huge question mark over his head, can we gamble on him being the answer at 7?

Matt Orford - we won't get him anyway.

Joe Williams - out of favour at Souths and probably won't see firsts again if Orford goes there. Will be looking for a new paddock.

Berrick barnes - looks like going to Yawnion but has huge raps on him. can also play 5/8.

Brett firman - Similar to Joe Williams. Worth a gamble???

Stuart

Juniors
If we could get Fielden and Flannery we would be a force to be reckoned with next season. I think we can gamble on Carney as our number 7, he has bucketloads of talent, given confidence and time in first grade this will show through. Longer term i see Carney moving to 5/8 and Zillman coming in as our halfback.

jed

First Grade
My spies tell me that Fielden will be headed down under soon, but at this stage it's looking like '07. I hope we get him, but there's no guarantees at this stage.

Chachi

Bench
Maybe the kicker for guys like Flannery and Harrison is whether there's any truth to the rumour that Elliott could get the QLD gig if Hagan gets the arse.

Brimmer

Juniors
Our backs need to pull their collective fingers out. I know we keep talking about the 'quality' forward issue but we have no problem getting down the field. More of a problem breaking that line out wide. I think we need to blood Ale or spend some money on quality outside backs.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Brimmer said:
Our backs need to pull their collective fingers out. I know we keep talking about the 'quality' forward issue but we have no problem getting down the field. More of a problem breaking that line out wide. I think we need to blood Ale or spend some money on quality outside backs.

Graham, Chalk, Schif, Frawley and Mogg can all do massive damage but they need to be given quality ball, a few attacking plays wouldnt go astray... sadly they have all gone astray with elliots play book

Chachi

Bench
With Adamson, T. Smith, Hindmarsh and maybe J. Smith set to leave/retire (following Wiki, Davico, Drew and Bulgarelli last year), 2006 will suddenly be quite a young team compared to 2004. This is obviously both a strength and a weakness - but 2006 is shaping up to be yet another transitional year with Woolford, J.Smith and even Croker almost certainly gone by the end of it. We seem to be shaping a team with 2007 in mind, when Carney and co will step up on a regular basis.

From our current forwards, O'Hara, Adamson, T.Smith and Hindmarsh are set to go. This year we've already signed Williams, Tilse and Lomu to replace them and you can also essentially add Weyman to that list (if he stays fit). Thompson, Kahler, Tongue, Miller, Hodgson, Rothery and sometimes Cross have all been excellent on their day and will hopefully continue to develop into regular first graders. You can also add Raston to that list.

The question is, do we need more forwards to add to that list? You couldn't knock back the quality of a Bailey, Flannery or Harrison but I agree that maybe a guy like Jason Cayless could be a more realistic option and would also give that level of experience we'd be lacking up front next year and beyond...

As for the backs - our hopes in the halves are tied to Carney, Campo and Zillman with Withers probably moving to 9 in '07. If Smith signs on for next year and we lock Campo in long term I'm pretty happy with that. My big question is in the three quarters with the injury plagued Frawley and Graham alongside the untested Ale and the ever present Mogg and bloody Gafa. Chalk is showing promise and Howell has been generally solid this year (if unspectacular) and may continue to improve. Who knows if guys like Goodwin, Mundine or Alley-Tovio will develop into good first graders - but they all have some potential too.

Right at this moment I'm thinking the depth in our halves is our current weakness - but I'm reasonably confident our future is in good hands with those young guys coming through. As such I believe recruiting should (realistically) focus on an experienced prop and centre. Along with a guy like Cayless I would love to see Lolesi back - but I can't imagine that happening.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Forwards are the big concern with quite a few leaving (or likely to leave???). The backs are good imo: Graham, Schifofske, Frawley, Chalk, Ale etc.

Hayabusa

Juniors
[font=Verdana, Arial] I think with the Raiders its such a difficult balancing act when it comes to making the team competitive. You really want improvement straight away but they are also a team who after hiccups (the Finch incident) have really put their best foot forward in terms of re-building. A classy player or two is definately needed but at the same time you really don't want to put in a high price 3 year contract that stunts the development of homegrown potential stars.

Carney, Campese and Zillman are all very exciting prospects but only Campo is close to being a regular first grader. Carney and Zillman are both barely 18 and if you look at most halves they still have a few years of development ahead of them before becoming first grade players. Thats why Smith has been a fantastic aquisition and an extra year would be fantastic to give them more time. As much as I would love a top halfback right now i'd be pissed to see Canberra dish out a high price contract to a player who either pisses off to superleague or demands another huge contract, whilst Carney and Zilmann take off to another club and become stars.

I think the forwards are a different story and my pick would be Cayless if the Roosters can't resign him. He'd fit in nicely with the kiwi trio and isn't as injury prone as Bailey. Fielden would be awesome if we can nab him from Bradford. Theres also a guy like Costigan but we have a wealth of solid back rowers even with the loss of Adamson and Croker, so a ballplayer would be much better.

The Backline has plenty of talent and thats been seen with the improvement of Graham and Chalk this year, Howell has been a surprise and Frawley if he stays healthy will be dangerous. Then you look at premier league and Mundine, Milne and Ale are ready to snatch a top spot away and all are quite young. Gafa,Mogg and Robbo can start planning their ESL careers now.

Location is always going to be a pain in attracting players but there are plenty of good young kids on decent contracts in the system and the depth has showed they are already competitive whilst it would be great to have a big name, it won't be if they are overpaid whilst clubs like GC rape our junior base.

I think this is something Brisbane have perfected with the way they continually develop all positions in a cycle. If one of their stars holds them to ransom they don't give in (there are a few exceptions) and let them walk because they are prepared for it, unlike a certain other NRL club which has now become a joke. Clubs like Roosters are always going to pillage junior bases but if you give guys opportunity a lot will stay loyal and go on to better things.

My ideal 17 next year.

1. Schif
2. Chalk
3. Frawley
4. Ale
5. Graham
6. Smith
7. Withers
8. Cayless
9. Woolford
10. Weyman
11. Thompson
12. Flannery
13. Campese

Bench
Kahler
Lomu
Tongue
Miller

Fringe
Howell
Milne
Carney
Mundine
Miller
Raston
Williams
Hodgson
[/font]

thickos

First Grade
Excellent post Hayabusa, and I echo a number of your sentiments - however Croker is contracted to the end of next season (with a one year option after that) and considering his status at the Raiders, he will definitely be part of the team - whether we like it or not.

BAY72

Juniors
Good post Hayabusa.
Gafa,Mogg and Robbo can start planning their ESL careers now.
good to see other people agree.
I have never been a big fan of Mogg, and more recently both Gaffa and Robbo have not impressed me , and I can't find a place in the team for them. Which annoys me when they are still on the field.

Chachi

Bench
Hayabusa, I agree that Flannery would be a great (if unlikely) catch because of his versatility. It would also be somewhat ironic if we get a quality player like him because they paid too much for Monaghan. Anything to get rid of Mogg and Gafa from the starting side would be a bonus.

dubby

Bench
we need halves! we need halves! WE need Halves!

resign adamson for forward leadership, and J Smith for guidance.

cast off Robbo, Gafa, and maybe Mogg. Still impartial to Mogg, but look how good Lolesi wnt when he left. :(

Stuart

Juniors
Mogg is 27 or 28 and is still an average centre an who IMO doesnt have that much improvement left in him and at best probably only 3 more seasons. I think he has been good for us over the last couple of years. He has added some size and experience to our centres which was needed but i think his first grade time is almost up. IMO Ale is already a better option and if he continues to develop going into next year, i dont think Mogg will be able to hold his spot. I think Frawley, Graham, Chalk, Howell and Ale will all overtake him by the start of next season.

sydraider

First Grade
If mogg goes, I would like to see Ale take his spot.
I still dont see graham as a centre and cant understand how most of you guys do.
Most of the damage graham has done in FG has been on the wing, even intercepts.
Graham always looks dangerous with the ball on the wing.

thickos

First Grade
I know what you're saying Syd but the biggest problem is that, when Smith is not there, not much ball gets out to flying Phil when he is on the wing. Even when Smith is there he doesn't get a huge amount - plus he tends to go missing. He has been good this season but he is at his best with the ball in his hands a lot. I think centre gives him that opportunity.

Poida_Raider

Bench
theres another young brisbane player called tom learoyd.. we should get him!!

ok hes a mate from high school, hes bloody huge, and very fast. didnt get much time against us the other night, but he is good! he was the biggest bronco before thorn went back there. he was a sprint champ in high school too.

although i'm sure he would stay at the broncos cause hes been with them since he was about 15 probably. they seem to treat their youngins pretty good, and hes the kind of guy to repay that.

anyways thats my splooge for the day.. well worth it!

Macko8

Juniors
heres wat elliot has to do..all these forwards going..we can buy bailey...weyman and other ppl have said it.has shades of bailey in him the way he plays...if you have bailey and weyman as the two main props....weyman is only going to get better...he can look up to bailey....maybe this is the break horse needs to develope into a great prop.

Macko8

Juniors
of course this couldnt start till possibly the last few rounds due to horses injury....i dunno wat you guys think but i know it'll never happen!!

Latest posts