What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players Who Shouldn't Play First Grade in 2019

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Just seems like there is not enough talent in the lad. Isn't that big, fast or skilful. Won't let the team down but isn't worth many points a season. I'm happy to see him be a reserve grader that sees maybe 5-10 games a season but nowhere near a starter or automatic bench player.

If we had a stronger squad then I’m sure he would be in reserve grade but we’re going to need a few more signings before that happens.

Old dog

Juniors
Buhrer is even more important for next season, should be signed, need him at this stage to cover hooker while Griff is out, likely most of 2019 season.
Not keen on him being in starting squad in any position, his best position is 2nd row but we have that covered fairly well with Guerra, Fitz, Barnett, Sione if not playing centre along with Stone and Jones from reserves. I am assuming Glasby 13 with Guerra/Barnett covering.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I have decided that I should not play 1st grade next year. The heart says yes but the head says no.

At the ripe old age of 47 I hereby declare myself out of the running to ever play 1st grade for the Knights. The dream is over....

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I think people are being far too critical of Barnett here
The bloke had no pre season and it’s always harder to perform to your best when that is the case
I can see him being part of the middle rotation next year which will be good for him because IMO he has a bigger impact and far less brain snaps/errors with less minutes and therefore less fatigue

Frederick

Staff member
I think people are being far too critical of Barnett here
The bloke had no pre season and it’s always harder to perform to your best when that is the case
I can see him being part of the middle rotation next year which will be good for him because IMO he has a bigger impact and far less brain snaps/errors with less minutes and therefore less fatigue
The no pre-season argument is only really valid for the first few weeks of the season.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
The no pre-season argument is only really valid for the first few weeks of the season.
Not necessarily. Players spend a great deal of time strengthening their stabilising muscles around their joints over the off season. If a player cant do the exercises due to injury, then the joint/joints arent ready for the season. Players find it hard to put on muscle and strength during the season due to the insane amount of cardio they do. As a result the player cant get the stability in certain areas of their body like they can over an off season, where smashing the weights and doing physio gets them ready for the brutality of the next 25 weeks.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Barnett would be a bench player in a strong roster. He's still young and fatigue would play a major part in his error rate, If he's on our bench we are in a good position.

Yosh

Coach
I think Barnett has shown enough during his time here to suggest he has a future in first grade. He is a pretty big bloke and has shown some skill in the past. I'd be happy for him to come off the bench if he was encouraged to offload the ball more.

Just for kicks, would Reegan Tanner have gotten game time this year ahead the likes of King, Yates and Stone?

perverse

Referee
Barnett loses a tonne of points from me for his stupidity. Anyone with a tramp stamp of their own bloody name must be pretty thick. He's an effort player, but does too many stupid things on the field and a fat lot of good any size he's perceived to have does for him. Is he actually large at all? Has no power game whatsoever. That is what we are generally missing, raw power and punch up the middle.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I can’t question Barnett’s intent, he seems to be the only guy in our side who gets up in the face of the opponent and tries to whack blokes in every game. The problem is while that sort of stuff may make the highlights reel every now and then it’s also outweighed by some of the stupid stuff he does.

His ball security is poor, he seems to drop the ball cold at least once a game and he makes some really poor decisions with ball in hand as well. He butchered 2 tries against the dragons when we had an overlap and then missed a really soft tackle on the winger who scored in the final couple of minutes.

Honestly I don’t think he’s that far away from being a good player but he just needs to cut out the shit in his game.

macavity

Referee
... and too slow to play on the edge.

Exactly.

He would have been a star "hard man" 30 years ago.

Now he cant get away with what he wants to do, and everyone is more athletic than they were so he is a step behind.

aqua_duck

Coach
Buhrer is even more important for next season, should be signed, need him at this stage to cover hooker while Griff is out, likely most of 2019 season.
Not keen on him being in starting squad in any position, his best position is 2nd row but we have that covered fairly well with Guerra, Fitz, Barnett, Sione if not playing centre along with Stone and Jones from reserves. I am assuming Glasby 13 with Guerra/Barnett covering.
Surely there has to be better dummy halves running around in reggies. Buhrer is a meh player for mine, he can cover a few positions but doesn't offer that much in any of those positions.

newyboy

Juniors
Geez this thread reminds me of when Joey was in Charge. Apart from Bedsy and the Chief. Everyone else did not deserve to start. And don't mention Mullen.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Geez this thread reminds me of when Joey was in Charge. Apart from Bedsy and the Chief. Everyone else did not deserve to start. And don't mention Mullen.

M Gidley, Tahu, Hughes, Dougs, Kennedy, Simpson just to name a few not up to FG standard?