What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players you want

K-Man

Bench
My fear is that we will once again not be pro-active enough.

Yes we have money to spend, and yes there are going to plenty of quality players available to spend it on... but not if we don't get in there and make some genuine offers early on rather than just blabbing on in the media about how we're considering this and contemplating that.

We couldn't even sign Mason in a two horse against the Cowboys. That was pathetic.

If Tolman is already gone that's one down already. Others will follow quickly until the only one left is L.Macdougall.

Let's assume the Knights will have interest in Lima, Cronk, Finch, Inglis, Blair, and Mateo (and many others of course). I'd be disappointed if we couldn't land at least one or two from that list, given we will probably be the club with the most to spend.

The stars have aligned for us, let's not blow it.

Johns Magic

Referee
If there is a silver lining to all of this, it's that we might be able to get Anthony Quinn and Luke MacDougall back, can't see Melbourne giving them up without a fight though.

Macdougall and Quinn? That wouldn't even be a bronze lining, we'd have missed the podium altogether.

K-Man

Bench
Seriously, i wonder how Ben feels at the moment.

And Clint Newton :lol:

On a serious note though, I think the forgotten people in all of this will be the guys that "won" premierships with the Storm but are no longer at the club.

It would be very strange to be over in England, or retired, or playing somewhere else like Cross and having to accept this situation when you are not actually there right now.

Maybe it's no different to being a Slater, Cronk, or Smith who are still at the club dealing with it first hand, but I think personally I would feel an even greater emptiness not even being around the other guys I had played with during the glory days. It would be bloody lonely I reckon, and extremely difficult to accept.

If we dont end up with Tolman or Lima you have to ask what the f**k is going on with the club....... We desperately need a forward Leader and these two are definately available. Some of the younger props mentioned would be good but just imagine a starting front row of.

10. Cross(We'll get him cheap for mine)
9. Degois.
8. Lima/Tolman.

macavity

Referee
Finch seems most likely (sadface).

The guy I would be throwing the farm at is Cronk.

They are not going to release GI, Smith or Slater, but probably can't carry four on really big coin.

Cronk is value at 300-350k - you would probably go nearer 400 to secure him. I reckon he would be worth it, and would fill our biggest hole.

Other than that, focus on picking the eyes out of their u20s.

Burro was on the radio today saying we don't want to look like vultures. Stuff that, pick 'em clean!

Frederick

Staff member
Other than that, focus on picking the eyes out of their u20s.
If we're going to sign them they'll need eyes to play. In saying that, I'm sure a blind under 20's halfback from the Storm is still a better option than Dureau.

Serc

First Grade
Storm Stars to be sacrificed for cap
By Steve Jancetic AAP
Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:38:43

Having deceitfully assembled some of the best talent the NRL has to offer, Melbourne officials have now been left to ponder which stars will be sacrificed in order to get the disgraced club back under the salary cap.
The Storm have just over ten months to shed more than $700,000 in player wages, payments that were on Thursday found to be part of a five-year $1.7 million rort of the salary cap.
NRL chief executive David Gallop on Friday threatened the Storm with exclusion from next year's competition if they could not get their books in order by March.
And it's a predicament almost certain to cost Melbourne at least one of their stars - the likes of either Greg Inglis, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith or Cooper Cronk.
"I'm not sure how they're going to do that (get under the cap) at this stage, but they need to do it by the time they start playing in 2011," Gallop said on Friday.
"The salary cap is about assembling a playing roster - it is very difficult to dismantle that playing roster."
Asked what would happen if the Storm failed to get under the cap, Gallop said: "They won't be participating while ever they're over the cap."
Removing $700,000 is no easy task, with all players in the 25-man squad required to have a minimum salary of $55,000.
That means whoever is shipped out of the Victorian capital must be replaced by a player on at least $55,000.
The club can rule out any thoughts of re-signing NSW Origin prospect Aiden Tolman - who is due a significant upgrade - while shedding lesser lights such as Dane Neilsen, Ryan Tandy, Anthony Quinn or Ryan Hinchcliffe will do little in the way of creating cap relief.
Should the new chief executive target mid-level earners such as Ryan Hoffman, Adam Blair and injured Kiwi backrower Sika Manu, then the number of players to go would have to increase to bring the cap down.
The next problem facing the Storm, once they have determined who to farewell, is finding the player a new home.
Every club in the competition would jump at the chance to sign a Smith, Inglis, Cronk or Slater, but finding room under the cap to accommodate a $400,000-a-year player may prove difficult.
That could again lead to someone like Inglis being approached by rugby union, just over two years after he rejected big offers from French rugby union to re-sign with the Storm through to the end of the 2012 season.
"Of course I would rather players don't go to rugby union, but the Storm need to get themselves below the cap for the 2011 season," Gallop said of the threat from rival codes.
The new Melbourne Rebels Super 15 franchise - from which former Storm boss Brian Waldron resigned as chief executive on Friday - refused to rule out poaching Storm players.
"If they want to continue on in Melbourne, we've probably got a reason to talk to them," Rebels chairman Harold Mitchell said.
While some players will no doubt soon be on the way out, the Storm began feeling the effects of the scandal on Friday with both major sponsors cutting ties.
Chairman Rob Moodie also offered his resignation to Storm owners News Limited, but it wasn't accepted.
Meanwhile Gallop gave little credence to Waldron's reported claim that salary cap rorting was rife throughout the NRL.
"It's the oldest schoolyard excuse that everyone else is doing it," Gallop said.
"I've always said the salary cap isn't foolproof ... if you're taking that risk, you're taking a big one."

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...m-stars-to-be-sacrificed-for-cap/default.aspx

macavity

Referee
Definitely Cronk. We have a good fullback and hooker.

We could easily play Slater at 1 and Gids at 6.

Not that I would want that merkin character-wise, but you have to admit he is an awesome player.

Us and the Sharkies are probably the best-placed cap wise you would think, with maybe the Warriors also having cash spare.

Get in their ears, Crossy!

RABK

Referee
Gasnier and Folau are both on the market as well.

But i just can't escape the fantasy that is an Inglis and Uate combo.

bails

Juniors
The more i think about it,going after cronk,the more possible the idea seems we have the money,Ben Cross,a very good 1,6,9 to work with and hopefuly Matty johns could have a word to him.He needs to be the priority target who else could offer $350,000-$400,000.
UNION-HE CAN FORGET ABOUT ORIGIN
SHARKS-IF THEY GOT HIM OVER US,THEN WE HAVE MASSIVE PROBLEMS
RAIDERS-AS ABOVE
WARRIORS-HAVE BEEN LINKED TO MATEO,INU SO PROB NOT
SUPER LEAGUE-SAME AS UNION, NO ORIGIN

Its a waiting game now i suppose,i just get a little excited at the thought of having a half back as good as him running us around.

whistler

Juniors

How embarassing is it that we can't even sign someone like Barba looking for a shot at starting. How the hell can anyone expect us to be in with the slightest chance of signing Cronk. The cold hard facts are that the only players who will sign for us are:

-from the bush and don't want to live in the city
-paid massive overs
-average players not really wanted anywhere else

There is no way in the world anyone would sign with us if they were offered something similar from Parra,Bulldogs,Dragons etc. What young bloke would want live in a place most outsiders see as a dive to play for bottom 4 side with a no name coach. I think we have over taken the raiders and are now the most unattractive proposition for players.

aqua_duck

Coach
How embarassing is it that we can't even sign someone like Barba looking for a shot at starting. How the hell can anyone expect us to be in with the slightest chance of signing Cronk. The cold hard facts are that the only players who will sign for us are:

-from the bush and don't want to live in the city
-paid massive overs
-average players not really wanted anywhere else

There is no way in the world anyone would sign with us if they were offered something similar from Parra,Bulldogs,Dragons etc. What young bloke would want live in a place most outsiders see as a dive to play for bottom 4 side with a no name coach. I think we have over taken the raiders and are now the most unattractive proposition for players.
Obviously the power that be didn't think about that when they appointed Stone as coach

Latest posts