What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing for ZERO points?

Parraren

Bench
I'm all for the NRL coming down hard on the storm but what does everyone think about them being forced to play on for zero points?

I think it's foolish.

Surely there could have been a better solution.

Are we honestly expectd to believe they will give 100% for the rest of the year? Please!

dollyhands

Juniors
I'm all for the NRL coming down hard on the storm but what does everyone think about them being forced to play on for zero points?

I think it's foolish.

Surely there could have been a better solution.

Are we honestly expectd to believe they will give 100% for the rest of the year? Please!
Whats worse is that any team that loses to the storm have the right to complain, if the nrl start giving opposition sides the points even if they lose then oppositions can side a second rate team. every game involving the storm will be the joke of the round one way or the other. what if storm don't turn up to play, making it a 7 game round causing the nrl to breach the tv contract

Eels Dude

Coach
It's either that or throw them out and award every team 2 extra points when they're sposed to play the Storm. But they cannot do that because it creates an uneven number of byes and points allocation.

The NRL and Ian Schubert have been investigating this since late last year apparently. The NRL would have developed a plan for any penalties during that time just in case allegations were proven, months in advance probably. Today's punishment would not have been a snap shot decision. It was only until today rumoured allegations have been confessed too.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
It's either that or throw them out and award every team 2 extra points when they're sposed to play the Storm. But they cannot do that because it creates an uneven number of byes and points allocation.

The NRL and Ian Schubert have been investigating this since late last year apparently. The NRL would have developed a plan for any penalties during that time just in case allegations were proven, months in advance probably. Today's punishment would not have been a snap shot decision. It was only until today rumoured allegations have been confessed too.
Let them keep their points and award them from now on only 1 point for every win. They currently sit on 8 points, they'd need to win 18 games to be a chance of making the finals, but the chance is still there. The team playing them if they lose still get 1 point, or 2 points for a win.

I applaud the NRL for taking a tough stance, but I believe it is pretty misguided. It'll hurt the competition this year.

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
Let them keep their points and award them from now on only 1 point for every win. They currently sit on 8 points, they'd need to win 18 games to be a chance of making the finals, but the chance is still there. The team playing them if they lose still get 1 point, or 2 points for a win.

I applaud the NRL for taking a tough stance, but I believe it is pretty misguided. It'll hurt the competition this year.

why give them a chance of still being premiers albeit a harder chance its still giving them a chance....and pretty much takes away all the other things they took from them, it would give the storm an ok with what theyve done.

look storm playing for no points and how they take it is up to them, they could fold every game, but that means the players in rep teams from that side give themselves less pride by pretty much giving up their spots in rep sides, the players still have individual pride to play for even though the team and club itself is in tatters. i believe they will play hard against top sides and take it easy against lower sides thats my thought

Firey_Dragon

Coach
why give them a chance of still being premiers albeit a harder chance its still giving them a chance....and pretty much takes away all the other things they took from them, it would give the storm an ok with what theyve done.

look storm playing for no points and how they take it is up to them, they could fold every game, but that means the players in rep teams from that side give themselves less pride by pretty much giving up their spots in rep sides, the players still have individual pride to play for even though the team and club itself is in tatters. i believe they will play hard against top sides and take it easy against lower sides thats my thought

The fact of the matter is, they still have an impact on other teams in the comp by staying in the comp. The NRL should take one stance or the other, not sit mid-way on this issue. Either they are still allowed to "compete" in the competition, or they should watch it from the sidelines.

What happens if a team misses out on the finals because they fell short by 2 points, one of the losses coming at the hands of the Storm? How is that fair? What happens if they approach the comp differently compared to against the other 4 teams they've already beaten? There are so many potential outcomes from this.

sting

Bench
This is what I think the nrl should've done

Suspend all the players who are proven to have been given extra payments for the year, or better yet kick them out all together and ban them from the nrl. Deduct their points for the year and give 2 points to the teams they beat already. Let them start on 0 with an average team and see how they go for the year. At least they will try. If they miraculously win the comp then I guess they really earned it.
And of course strip them of any achievements in the last 4 years.

bobmar28

Bench

Good idea, playing for no points is, well, pointless.

simon says

First Grade
I think there is a simple solution.

Strip their points earned this year.

If they are 700k over this year as reported,they have to lose 700k in horseflesh and play on.

Simple as IMO.

Eelectrica

Referee
I gotta agree with Simon says. If they can offload $700k with of talent it should be game back on for them this year. I'm struggling with the whole nothing to play for concept. Some are playing for rep spots and contracts next year I guess. But beyond that...

Parraren

Bench
I think there is a simple solution.

Strip their points earned this year.

If they are 700k over this year as reported,they have to lose 700k in horseflesh and play on.

Simple as IMO.

Yeah I think that's probably the best solution.

The way it is at the moment the whole competition becomes tainted (particularly the remaining Storm games) and the fact that not all 16 clubs are playing for the same goal (premiership) then it just throws the whole competition into an imbalance - it's bad enough that every club doesn't play eachother twice, now throw in a side playing for absolutely nothing....it's a farce.

cupid

Juniors
No, do you realise how bad it would look if Melbourne make it to the finals? or the Grand Final? Measures had to be taken so this doesn't happen.

Eelectrica

Referee
No, do you realise how bad it would look if Melbourne make it to the finals? or the Grand Final? Measures had to be taken so this doesn't happen.

If they make the final giving the comp an 8 weeks head start and don't have a few current key players, then they deserve it.

cupid

Juniors
Im not talking about morals, if Melbourne get into the finals then the media will surely put the sword in, a team winning the GF after being 700k over the cap doesnt look good for the sport.

Alex28

Coach
It is a crazy situation - I mean how on earth do you tip on the Storm match each week? How do you know whether they are going to have a dig each week given they have nothing to play for?

If they are $700K over the salary cap - then that is around 20% of the salary cap. I say dock them 20% of the potential points they could earn for the year - 10 points - and at least have a competitive season.

This season is the only penalty I struggle with, and not because of the affect it will have on the Storm, but for the affect it will have on the whole game.

slammingsam

Juniors
I said on anotherforum.

The season is lost in my eyes.
As mentioned alot of times in this thread - how are Melbourne going to motivate themselvs to play this week when they walk away at the end knowing it doesent change them on the ladder.

How do other teams feel about losing to a team of cheats as well as they could sustain season ending injuries to topline players agasint a bunch of blokes who probably dont care..

What effect is it going to have on rep teams too ?

sting

Bench
I gotta agree with Simon says. If they can offload $700k with of talent it should be game back on for them this year. I'm struggling with the whole nothing to play for concept. Some are playing for rep spots and contracts next year I guess. But beyond that...

That is nowhere near punishment enough.

aussies1st

Staff member
They definitely shouldn't be allowed to make the finals, the only thing they should be playing for is avoiding the spoon but then you have the problem where they are 700k over the cap compared to other teams competing for the spoon. Ideally having them get under the cap and allowing them to move the spoon off to someone else would be the way to go but as mentioned in another thread, its unlikely teams will have that sort of cash to splash around this season.