What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

playing future of Josh Miller

Godz Illa

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-concussion-20120903-25all.html#ixzz25Rf4feKr

Miller, who has a long history of concussions, was in a bad state after the tackle by Parramatta's Reni Maitua and under the NRL concussion policy introduced this year he could not return to the field.

However, the Herald was told the contact was only minor and there are doubts about his playing future as it is understood officials had written to his former club, Canberra, several years ago expressing concern about the number of head knocks he had sustained
In my opinion it is negligent for Josh Miller to be allowed to keep playing rugby league. Played only a handful of games for us this year and was KO'd in two of them. With his history of concussions it is a massive worry, and a risk of future legal ramifications. I'm sure he'd love to keep playing regardless if given the choice, but sometimes the choice needs to be taken out of the player's hands.

st.phil

Bench
Hate to be cold - but concussions are the second reason he should not be in the team...the first is that he is rubbish.

Cagey Mac

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-concussion-20120903-25all.html#ixzz25Rf4feKr

In my opinion it is negligent for Josh Miller to be allowed to keep playing rugby league. Played only a handful of games for us this year and was KO'd in two of them. With his history of concussions it is a massive worry, and a risk of future legal ramifications. I'm sure he'd love to keep playing regardless if given the choice, but sometimes the choice needs to be taken out of the player's hands.

Agreed! Poor bugger doesn't want to end up like Ali.

Hutty1986

Immortal
There has got to be a duty of care there of some sort. The bloke's a (passionate) plodder at best anyway, time to give it away Josh & think of your future

Mr Red

First Grade
Hate to be cold - but concussions are the second reason he should not be in the team...the first is that he is rubbish.

agree with this..
if the club is smart they should use concerns about his health as a way to force him to retire, thus freeing up salary cap to purchase someone half decent.

on a side note..
the new concussion rule is 1 game away from being serioulsly challenged by the clubs..could be a can of worms come finals time

imagine a grand final - greg inglis suffers a minor concussion in the first few minutes but by halftime is ready to play again..
game in the balance... do you think souths wouldnt throw him back onto the field??

Stagger Lee

Bench
Is there anything we can do to alter Millers running style? He seems to greet tackles with his head bowed rather than standing tall.

nrlnrl

First Grade

I couldn't agree more, it's not courageous or smart to keep playing when he has a history of concussions. Each case is different, but all signs point to serious problems for players who have multiple concussions.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
Eventually the game will wake up , but probably not until after they are sued for $M's.

Then they will engage doctors at games who will work for and be paid by the NRL and they will make the decision on whether players can play on as they do in Boxing.

counterpuncher

Juniors
Is there anything we can do to alter Millers running style? He seems to greet tackles with his head bowed rather than standing tall.

.....Martin Lang? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, now that the U.S is putting serious money into studies of concussion, more and more disturbing side effects are being found. Simply with his history, every time Miller runs out onto the field he is 5-10 times more likely than his teammates to be concussed again!

Give it up mate. For your sake.

Minh

First Grade
Health is more important than any game of football, should hang up the boots.

Godz Illa

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...bs-starts-to-look-blurred-20120907-25jkv.html

Miller's manager is obviously not keen for Josh to retire voluntarily. The club needs to step in.

''The medical staff and those looking after the wellbeing of the individual is paramount. It's a fantastic club, the Dragons. We just rely on the trust of advisers in their team to make that assessment"

The ball is in the club's court, and they bear full liability if Miller suffers serious permanent brain damage

possm

Coach
I am sure the Club will take professional advice and act in the best interest of the player.

RedVDave

First Grade
I must admit I'm a big fan of Miller and have been impressed with the majority of the games he has played for us, personally I would love to see him play on. He needs to decide what is more important at this stage of his life, regardless I wish him all the best and will support whatever decision he makes.

TruSaint

Referee
I must admit I'm a big fan of Miller and have been impressed with the majority of the games he has played for us, personally I would love to see him play on. He needs to decide what is more important at this stage of his life, regardless I wish him all the best and will support whatever decision he makes.

I will weigh in here as well.
He is one tough nut. A real battler.
All the critics have had their say. Questions to be answered.
How many games did he play?
When did let us down?
He puts his body on the line every time.
As an old head, i love his attitude.
He's in my team .

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I loved his attitude at the Raiders as well but he is going to deadset die on the field if he keeps it up.

Godz Illa

Coach
*bump*

Bumping just to congratulate the club and medical staff for making the right call. The welfare of players needs to come first, and I'm glad the decision was made. Sets a good precedent.

Latest posts