What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG and Cairns investigate joint NRL bid

The Great Dane

First Grade
What happens to the PNG NRL team when there is a change of Government policy in Australia and the venture is no longer supported financially?

PNG is perfect in the QLD Cup providing talent to the NRL which helps the NRL with player depth when they expand and helps the Kumuls have a deeper, more professional player pool to select players from. Give the hunters another decade in the QLD Cup and they will be just as much a force as Tonga are today.

That'd be my biggest concern.

Seems to me that it's inevitable that the Government will pull funding given time and that the NRL will be left holding the bags with an incredibly expensive club on their books that has no hope of being independently sustainable, and if the NRL were to do what would almost certainly be the best thing to do in that situation and fold the club they'd be the ones that come off looking like real arseholes...

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Seems to me that it's inevitable that the Government will pull funding given time and that the NRL will be left holding the bags with an incredibly expensive club on their books that has no hope of being independently sustainable, and if the NRL were to do what would almost certainly be the best thing to do in that situation and fold the club they'd be the ones that come off looking like real arseholes...

Yes, well said

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Actually no I didn't say that at all, I gave a relatively specific hypothetical under which circumstances I'd give them a club over a PNG side...

Yep and exactly why I said, are you on drugs? This somewhat straw-man hypothetical dream you have made up says you would choose, “more than 5-8 teams if you include Asia and South Africa in front of png on the proviso that they take up rugby league?

You do know that the entire png country already “support” rugby league.

LOL, and the rest!

There're at least 5-8 places that are better placed to support an NRL team then PNG, more if you count places in Asia, South Africa, etc, that may not be interested in ever supporting a team but hypothetically could in a Wolfpack style situation or if the NRL were to attempt to aggressively take a share of their sports market...

It's sad cause there's nowhere in the universe more deserving of a team or that it'd be better (in an emotional sense) to see get a team, but PNG is way, way down the list of prospective markets, and it's all because of circumstances largely outside of the NRL or RL at larges control.

See the difference between you and me is you are interested in an ideal, what would be ideal in a perfect world, where as I understand that there's no such thing as a perfect world and as such I'm only interested in what's practical.

But yet you bring up hypotheticals?

Not an “ideal” at all. I’m interested in facts. The facts are png has 8 mil rugby league players/fans and with the right funding structure it can be great for the rugby league and for png people.

A team based in (e.g.) Singapore that draws 5k people a game, that is owned and operated by a rich investment group (or whatever) that has connections to corporate Singapore and other Asian businesses that are using the team as a vehicle to get exposure for their brands in Australia (or Australian corporates using the team as a vehicle to get exposure for theirs in Asia) or even a Japanese style company owned team, that has a funding agreement in place for the next 10 or so years, is more practical then a team based in PNG that in theory could sellout a 30k seater every week but still wouldn't financially sustainable and liable to fall over at the drop of a hat.

If a Singapore/Asian company wants exposure in the Aus market they have 16 current teams that would be happy to do it!!

They could win it for 50 years in a row, that still wouldn't make them a sustainable business without being heavily subsidised by any amalgamation of the PNG gov, AUS gov, and NRL, not to mention all the societal reasons why it's just a bad idea for the foreseeable future.

I agree the biggest issue would be the social issues in png but this could be the start of a big change.

I also don't accept your assertions that A. funding a professional football team is a sensible use of international aid to a country (especially a country like PNG that could desperately use the funding in a hundred different areas) or B. that by the NRL acting as an intermediary that this plan would be significantly less susceptible to corruption...

But when that funding helps promote a women’s Nrl png team and programs that are delivered throughout png to change the serious women’s issues throughout the country? You don’t think that’s beneficial? I personally think the Nrl would do a better job with that money than giving it to a png gov minister. Maybe you don’t agree. You do realize the Australian gov already do fund afl, Nrl, netball, cricket and other sporting programs all around the pacific. So redirecting a little extra is hardly a issue.

Also the irony of the assertion that I'm failing to see the world outside of Australia when it was I that brought up the potential of Toronto Wolfpack style Asian and/or South African clubs (not to mention more clubs in NZ by the way, which you earlier stated that you'd have a PNG team in front of) that hypothetically could actually be sustainable businesses without the NRL wading into the minefields of both national and international politics and dodgy uses of international aid, which you proceeded to effectively dismiss outright (which is also ironic) isn't lost on me at all.

You have created an alternate reality in this hypothetical dream of yours because you feel support is just financial. Never mind the fact that you would have to spend bazillions $$ just to get people thinking of playing in those countries you allude to.

Look I think it’s easier to agree to disagree but one final thing....

Would you accept the Aus gov giving the Nrl $20/$50/$100 mil to fund social programs throughout png? Money they would give to other companies doing the same thing?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

Over time the png team should be self sustaining. With the right planning in place at the start with revenue, sponsorship etc, of course it could work.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Over time the png team should be self sustaining. With the right planning in place at the start with revenue, sponsorship etc, of course it could work.

How will they generate $10mill a year? Tickets and memberships would need to be sold at a fraction of the cost to be affordable and its highly doubtful there is $6mil a year of corporate support for them in PNG.

And all of that is irrelevant in reality as the NRL would stand to make very little, if any, revenue from TV rights in PNG so is highly unlikely to be altruistic enough to do it for the good of the game.

In reality PNG is a sewn up market and adding an NRL team there isnt going to make the game any more popular that it already is or secure its future from some encroaching sport.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think the solution for PNG is pretty obvious....

As many QLD Cup teams as they can carry (elite player pathway with direct links to NRL) and PNG rep games every year (they are scheduled irregularly, so it they lose funding and stops for one year there is no crisis)

Player development is covered, the fans get premium content regularly. But the NRL has enough flexibility to deal with changing circumstances.

An NRL team is just a bad idea...

jim_57

Staff member
I think the solution for PNG is pretty obvious....

As many QLD Cup teams as they can carry (elite player pathway with direct links to NRL) and PNG rep games every year (they are scheduled irregularly, so it they lose funding and stops for one year there is no crisis)

Player development is covered, the fans get premium content regularly. But the NRL has enough flexibility to deal with changing circumstances.

An NRL team is just a bad idea...

I think money spent on getting a Hunters U18 or U20 side in to QLD Junior comps would be money better invested than a 2nd QLD Cup side.

More players are going to be signed at the age of 17-20 than open age players from the Hunters or another QLD Cup side. Get a steady stream of juniors in to NRL clubs and in 10 years the National side will be capable of competiting and winning against the best. Having a competitive national team would be a great payoff and a lot more feasible than an NRL club, imagine the scenes if PNG ever won a World Cup.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yep and exactly why I said, are you on drugs? This somewhat straw-man hypothetical dream you have made up says you would choose, “more than 5-8 teams if you include Asia and South Africa in front of png on the proviso that they take up rugby league?

Firstly unless you think I'm straw-manning myself you don't know what a straw-man is.

Secondly I never said anything that you go on to claim that I said (which is strange considering that you quoted my post inside your post, it's also ironic considering that could be considered as you attempting to straw-man me...).

I said- "There're at least 5-8 places that are better placed to support an NRL team then PNG, more if you count places in Asia, South Africa, etc", so even without including places such as Asian cities, South African cities, etc, that could hypothetically support a club there are still at least 5-8 cities in Aus and NZ in front of PNG.

I also gave relatively specific circumstances under which I'd let Asian, South African, etc, cities into the comp ahead of a PNG team when I said of said Asian and South African cities- "that may not be interested in ever supporting a team but hypothetically could in a Wolfpack style situation or if the NRL were to attempt to aggressively take a share of their sports market...", none of that alludes to them taking up RL prior to them getting a club, in fact it alludes only to the potential clubs financial situation and their economic value to the NRL...

You do know that the entire png country already “support” rugby league.

Which means absolute jack shit when just under 40% of PNGs' population lives under the poverty line and a large portion of the population that doesn't live under the poverty line still couldn't afford a ticket to the footy on a regular basis even if they were only about AU$5.00 a game!

It means f**k all when the PNG broadcasting rights and the PNG broadcasting market isn't worth a pie and a can of coke to the vast majority of advertisers!

I could go on but honestly I can't be bothered....

But yet you bring up hypotheticals?

Hypothetical about potential clubs that could exist in a practical sense yes.

Kind of like prior to the Wolfpack the idea of a Toronto based club in the RFL system would have been ridiculous, but hypothetically Toronto could have supported a club...

Not an “ideal” at all. I’m interested in facts. The facts are png has 8 mil rugby league players/fans and with the right funding structure it can be great for the rugby league and for png people.

8 mil fans almost none of whom can afford the product...
And when the "funding structure" is as volatile and dangerous as is being suggested, frankly I'm not interest!

If a Singapore/Asian company wants exposure in the Aus market they have 16 current teams that would be happy to do it!!

You really didn't understand what I was saying... But whatever it's really neither here nor there and I can't be bothered with it frankly.

I agree the biggest issue would be the social issues in png but this could be the start of a big change.

Nope, the biggest issue would be financial security.

But when that funding helps promote a women’s Nrl png team and programs that are delivered throughout png to change the serious women’s issues throughout the country? You don’t think that’s beneficial? I personally think the Nrl would do a better job with that money than giving it to a png gov minister. Maybe you don’t agree. You do realize the Australian gov already do fund afl, Nrl, netball, cricket and other sporting programs all around the pacific. So redirecting a little extra is hardly a issue.

As an aside PNG has much, much, much bigger issues then "women's issues throughout the country" (if anything "women's issues" are symptoms of the large structural issues within their nation, like the extreme poverty, lack of basic amenities for large portions of the population, general rates of violence (cause you know violence isn't only inflicted on women and focusing only on violence that is inflicted on women is just f**king stupid and frankly discriminatory, but I know it's only sexist when men do it and all that jazz), etc), but even so any actual effect that a professional women's football team would have on said issues would be extremely negligible at best, but I digress.

I don't have a problem with national funding going to international sports programs, but if you cannot recognise what a precarious position that the NRL would be put in not only politically but financially from the suggested situation then there's no helping you!

You have created an alternate reality in this hypothetical dream of yours because you feel support is just financial. Never mind the fact that you would have to spend bazillions $$ just to get people thinking of playing in those countries you allude to.

When it comes to PROFESSIONAL sports the finances of it is extremely important, cause if it isn't a viable business then nobody gets paid and you can't really call it professional at that point...

Also you don't need a local populace to be playing the sport to set up pro clubs there, you only need the local populace to be interested in paying to see the spectacle and have the means to actually do so, and that is where a PNG falls down and Asian counties, etc, have one over them...

Look I think it’s easier to agree to disagree but one final thing....

Would you accept the Aus gov giving the Nrl $20/$50/$100 mil to fund social programs throughout png? Money they would give to other companies doing the same thing?

Depends on the programs, who and which local authorities are involved and how they are involved, and what if any impact it would have on the NRL and Australia.

Last edited:

Eion

First Grade
By the way the population of Morseby is about 300k. PNG populace is one of the least dense in the world.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How many mining companies sponsor sport? Aside from twiggy forest making his own lol

Most nrl clubs generate around $6mill a year in sponsors, good luck getting that in png every year.

BuffaloRules

Coach
How many mining companies sponsor sport? Aside from twiggy forest making his own lol

Most nrl clubs generate around $6mill a year in sponsors, good luck getting that in png every year.

Mining companies probably would put money into PNG sport.. $6Mil is nothing to these multi nationals looking for some positive publicity whilst they suck the resources dry from one of the poorest countries on earth...

Still think this whole thing is a pipe dream though...

Think about it...the Aust Govt is going to do something that would benefit Rugby League?? Really?

A place that's full of Victorians and Union loving private school boys are going to do something that would benefit Rugby League?

Outrageous.

Eion

First Grade
Mining companies probably would put money into PNG sport.. $6Mil is nothing to these multi nationals looking for some positive publicity whilst they suck the resources dry from one of the poorest countries on earth...

Still think this whole thing is a pipe dream though...

Think about it...the Aust Govt is going to do something that would benefit Rugby League?? Really?

A place that's full of Victorians and Union loving private school boys are going to do something that would benefit Rugby League?

Outrageous.
The ‘government backing’ was actually 2 labor nuffies raising an idea at a conference. It’s hardly policy.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Exactly but let’s be completely negative and not even see what they could come up with.

It's not being negative it's being realistic!

Cause unless what they come up with grows PNG economy by an order of magnitude, fixes the poverty rates, and greatly curbs corruption overnight it really doesn't matter what they come up with cause it won't be enough to make a PNG NRL team practical...

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

Cause unless what they come up with grows PNG economy by an order of magnitude, fixes the poverty rates, and greatly curbs corruption overnight it really doesn't matter what they come up with cause it won't be enough to make a PNG NRL team practical...

#talkthegameup

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

If that’s the case the Nrl should become the new png government. Fix poverty rates and greatly curb corruption. Clearly still on those drugs.

Corruption is a choice, you choose to be corrupt.

I have no doubt that if a png Nrl team was brought into the Nrl that it would be financial, help the png people in a multitude number of ways from education, women’s issues, health, safety and violence, which in turn would help improve the overall poverty in png.

Now I’ve agreed with you that the current issues in png wouldn’t be a great look currently for the Nrl or even for the Australian public. They probably have a Matt lodge incident every day. But if these issues improve and the right systems are put in place from the png gov how could it not work.

Eion

First Grade
Exactly but let’s be completely negative and not even see what they could come up with.
It’s nothing to do with me if the labor party do come up with a formal policy on this. I imagine saner heads will prevail, but who knows?

But if they decide to waste time doing it I’ll look at it and comment on that too.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If that’s the case the Nrl should become the new png government. Fix poverty rates and greatly curb corruption. Clearly still on those drugs.

Frankly I'm not even sure what it is that you are trying to say here...

Corruption is a choice, you choose to be corrupt.

I have no doubt that if a png Nrl team was brought into the Nrl that it would be financial, help the png people in a multitude number of ways from education, women’s issues, health, safety and violence, which in turn would help improve the overall poverty in png.

I assume when you say that "it would be financial" that you mean that it'd be financially viable, right?
If so how would it be financially viable? And if the club was to be reliant on Australian Government grants to be viable what would be your contingency plan for when those grants are reduced or revoked as would be inevitable?

In what tangible way would an NRL club help any of the above problems to a measurable degree? I mean sure it'd create some jobs and stuff, but that would have a negligible impact on the economy in the grand scheme of things, and if you are suggesting that NRL endorsed programs is going to have any measurable impact on said societal issues then you are a fool who fundamentally misunderstands the issues, what causes them, and how entrenched in the society they are...

Also why do you keep singleing out "women's issues"?
Don't all those other issues also affect women which means that they are women's issues as well?
Are "men's issues" not as important as women's issues?
Why is it necessary to gender issues when in reality when you get down to it there's basically no issue in the world that doesn't effect both genders?
Are you saying that men are less deserving of help when they are in need of help, or even that women should be prioritised over men when it comes to needing help?
I'm sorry but the stupidity of such sentiments and statements are a pet peeve of mine and not enough people call them out anymore...

Now I’ve agreed with you that the current issues in png wouldn’t be a great look currently for the Nrl or even for the Australian public. They probably have a Matt lodge incident every day. But if these issues improve and the right systems are put in place from the png gov how could it not work.

I could not careless about the optics of potential scandals that could occur to a potential PNG NRL team! The fact that you think that I do means that you fundamentally misunderstand every argument that I (and others) have made!

My arguments against it are basically all economic ones, and though this is massively over simplifying it basically all of those arguments boil down to either A. PNG is so poor it can afford an NRL team or B. even if the Australia government wants to finance it the NRL still shouldn't do it cause of the financial risk to them is still to great (and the political risk to the NRL is way to big as well, but that is an aside).