What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG DIGICEL CUP 2022

mikail-eagle

Bench

FIVE BID TEAMS DECLARE INTEREST IN JOINING AN EXPANDED PNG DIGICEL CUP​

Despite no promises of expansion, no less than five independent bids have expressed their interest to the Papua New Guinea National Rugby League Competition (PNGNRLC) for franchises to join the 2022 Digicel Cup season.

The bids come from the Sepik, New Ireland, Highlands and National Capital Districts, with sides hoping to join the twelve existing franchises in what would be the first expansion of the competition since 2019.

Returning from last year’s bidding process are the Sepik Pride, Simbu Angras (formerly Warriors) and Motu Koita Clansmen (formerly Lagatois). Motu Koita, who were disqualified last year due to their already being a team in the National Capital District (Port Moresby Vipers) are hopeful the the PNGNRL and PNGRFL will relax the rules around district limits.

Also hopeful of the rules being relaxed are the Moresby South Blacks, who are bidding to join the competition for the first time, whilst the fifth and final new franchise bid to express interest is a Kavieng based New Ireland franchise.

Despite the interest from the new bids, Papua New Guinea National Rugby League Competition (PNGNRLC) competition manager, Ora Gairo, has expressed that any new bid will not be considered until the COVID-19 situation in PNG is under control. Speaking to The National newspaper earlier, Gairo said:

“All bids for interested franchises are now on hold until further notice”

“This is due to the Covid-19 Delta variant surge that may not allow for additional teams in the competition in the New Year.”

The Digicel Cup last expanded in 2019 when the Mt Hagen Eagles, Central Dabaris and Kimbe Cutters were admitted. The Simbu Warriors were removed from the competition after the 2018 season.

mikail-eagle

Bench
A surprise 6th bid was also made yesterday for a Team from the Madang Province.

https://www.thenational.com.pg/madang-ready-to-join-cup/

Madang ‘ready’ to join Cup​

October 27, 2021The NationalSports
By PARKER TAMBUA

MADANG Rugby League’s Digicel Cup bid team, Madang Kwilas, have appealed to Papua New Guinea National Rugby League Competition to consider new franchises for the 2022 season.
Competition manager Ora Gairo recently said the nationwide Coronavirus situation may not allow for an expansion to the 12-team Digicel Cup next year.
But Kwilas chairman Bhreed Kinjakali told The National yesterday that they had prepared well to bid for inclusion in the country’s premier rugby league competition.
“We have met all the requirements and are set to bid for Digicel Cup entry next year,” he said.
“But unfortunately, the current situation may allow for that (expansion).
“Madang once had an inter-city club known as Torotas 20 years ago, so it’s not a new thing – we are only reviving it under a new brand.
“Our player base is large, so we can even pick the entire squad from within the province.
“But as per the competition policy, we still have to recruit 25 per cent of the squad from outside centres.
“The bulk of the squad will be picked from our league.
“We will recruit some players from Divine Word University, Ramu league and the rugby union competition in the town.
“We have the Ron Albert Oval and an alternate venue at Ramu, which is owned by one of our sponsors, Ramu Agri Industries.”
Kinjakali said they had a lot of corporate and private sponsors, all willing to back the side.
“The Madang bid should be ready by the end of December to present to the competition,” he said.
“We have the support of our Governor Peter Yama, British American Tobacco, Divine Word University, Pacific Corporate and Brian Bell, among others.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
And we might have a Telstra Cup in PNG soon after Digicel Pacific was bought off this past few weeks.

Digicel Pacific: Australia's Telstra buys Pacific firm 'to block China'​

The Australian government and telecoms giant Telstra are buying a Pacific telecoms company in a joint venture.
The move is being viewed as a political block to China's influence in the region.
Telstra called the A$2.1bn ($1.6bn; £1.2bn) deal a "unique and very attractive commercial opportunity to boost our presence in the region".
Digicel Pacific employs 1,700 people across Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Samoa, Vanuatu and Tahiti.
The company's future has been the focus of speculation for months.
Last year Digicel denied a report that it was in talks to sell its Pacific arm to state-owned China Mobile.

mikail-eagle

Bench

Madang Rugby League confident Kwilas will have following​

October 28, 2021The NationalSports

MADANG Rugby League is confident that its 2022 Digicel Cup bid side, Madang Kwilas, will have many followers despite being located in a region that is dominated by soccer.
Kwilas bid chairman Bhreed Kinjakali told The National on Monday that rugby league still had many followers in the province.
He said they could attract new fans if given the opportunity to compete at the semi-professional level.
“Madang is home to soccer and the sport dominates this part of the country,” Kinjakali said.
“However, rugby league is still popular here.
“Many people follow Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL).
“People still follow the SP Hunters and Digicel Cup.
“The Madang Rugby League competition is still played every year, so the sport is alive.
“It’s just that we didn’t have the opportunity to field a franchise in the national competition.
“If Kwilas enter the Digicel Cup, we will have a big fan base. “Our inclusion will attract new fans too.”
Kinjakali said Madang once had an inter-city team 20 years ago.
He said Kwilas would revive support for rugby league in the province.
“It’s good for the growth of rugby league in the country,” Kinjakali said. “We have an abundance of talents who don’t normally get the opportunity to play semi-professional rugby league.
“The inclusion of Kwilas will provide that opportunity for young players to chase their dreams in rugby league.
“Some of them may even go on to play for the Hunters or Papua New Guinea Kumuls.”

mikail-eagle

Bench

Prop Moide joins Lae franchise​

PREMIERSHIP-WINNING Hela Wigmen forward Tommy Moide has joined reigning Digicel Cup champions Lae Tigers for the upcoming season.
The Hanuabada villager, who was instrumental in the Wigmen’s title-winning 2020 season, told The National yesterday that he wanted a new challenge away from Port Moresby.
“It will be the first time for me to be away from my family,” former Hunters train-on squad member Moide said.
“It’s a tough choice because my family has always been there for me.
“But I have to try something new.
“I believe that being based in Lae with the Tigers will help change my life.
“I’m looking forward to the challenge.”
Moide said his goal was to play more minutes for the Lae Biscuit Company-sponsored Tigers.
“But I have to work harder and be more consistent all season,” he said. “The Tigers are the benchmark in PNG.
“I know they have a good system, so I am keen to be part of the side this year.”
The former Port Moresby Viper, Central Dabari and Wigman said he had not given up on making the SP Hunters and Papua New Guinea Kumuls.
“I’m waiting patiently for a Hunters call-up,” he said.
“I certainly haven’t given up yet.
“I will try harder in the upcoming season.
“Hopefully, the Hunters can give me another trial in the next pre-season.
“Making the Kumuls still remains a goal.
“I know there are more experienced forwards ahead of me, but anything is possible.
“I will let my performances do the talking.”
Moide is a product of Kone Storm and Hanuabada Hawks in the Port Moresby Rugby Football League.
The prop made his Digicel Cup debut in 2017 with the Vipers where he played for two seasons before joining the Dabaris in 2019.
In 2020, he joined the Wigmen where he won his first premiership.

mikail-eagle

Bench

Wigmen coach Wabo a free agent after contract expires​

DIGICEL Cup premiership-winning Hela Wigmen coach Charlie Wabo says he is now a free agent.

The Papua New Guinea Kumuls legend, who had coached the 2020 champions in the last two seasons, told The National yesterday that his contract with the club had not been renewed for the upcoming season.
Wabo said he was awaiting any coaching opportunities in the country’s premier rugby league competition.

“My contract has expired,” the former rake said.
“I thought they were going to renew it for this year, but I haven’t receive any updates from them.
“They told me to write an expression of interest which I had already done.
“But there is no feedback at this stage. I believe they don’t want my services anymore, so I am open to any opportunities that may come my way.”

Wabo made his coaching debut in the 2020 season as he led the Wigmen to their second premiership.

Last year, he steered the side to playoffs where they lost to Waghi Tumbe in the semifinals.
Meanwhile, the Eastern Highlands native thanked the Wigmen for giving him the opportunity to become a coach.
“I’ve really enjoyed my time with the Wigmen and I thank them for giving me the job in 2020,” he said.
“I’ve learnt a lot of new things as a rookie coach.”
Wabo said winning his first premiership as a coach in his debut year would always be a highlight of his coaching career.

mikail-eagle

Bench

Isou secure services of Gurias centre Lukara​

GULF Isou have secured the services for long-time Rabaul Gurias centre Eliakim Lukara for the up-coming Digicel Cup season.
Lukara, who played with the Gurias for eight seasons, was named on Isou’s extended train-on squad for pre-season training.
The 25-year-old travelled to Port Moresby to join the squad last Thursday.
“It’s great to link up with Isou for the new season,” Lukara told The National.
“This is my first time to join another Digicel cup team and I am looking forward to working with my new coach and squad members.
“I want to travel out of my home province and experience what it feels like to play rugby league away from my family.
“I know Isou struggled last season.
“But with the inclusion of new players, we will try to work harder in the new season.”
Lukara said his goal was to get through pre-season training and earn a spot in the final squad for the 2022 season.
“With my Gurias experience from the past eight years, I want to contribute what I have to the club and make the most out of it,” he said.
“I’d like to help Isou reach the finals.”
The Gurias scouted Lukara from Kokopo Muruks in the town competition for the 2015 season.
Nangananga native made his debut on the wing against one-time Gulf Isapea in the opening round.

mikail-eagle

Bench

Kumul Gary Lo joins Gurias​

PAPUA New Guinea Kumuls winger Garry Lo has reversed his decision against getting vaccinated as he looks to make coach Michael Marum’s squad for this year’s Rugby League World Cup in England.
Lo, who returned from a stint in France at the end of 2020, has joined Rabaul Gurias for the upcoming Digicel Cup season.
The former Castleford Tiger joined Waghi Tumbe in the 2021 pre-season, but he could not play in the country’s premier competition after he refused to get the Coronavirus vaccine.
With the World Cup being postponed to this year, Lo told The National yesterday that he had to get vaccinated and return to Digicel Cup as he is eyeing a spot in the Kumuls.
“I had no choice, so I got fully vaccinated by December last year,” the Western Highlander said.
“My goal is to earn a spot in the Kumuls squad for the World Cup.
“This is why I have joined the Gurias.
“I want to give my best this season and hopefully I can impress Marum.”
Lo said he was looking forward to making his Gurias debut.
He said his goal at the club was to win a premiership.
“I think the last time the Gurias had won a premiership was in 2015,” the former SP Hunters flyer said.
“That is a long time.
“I want to help the side break that drought and I believe we can do it.
“There are a lot of great talents in the squad.
“I can’t wait to play alongside them and represent the people of East New Britain.”
Lo thanked new Gurias coach Francis Ray for giving him the opportunity to be part of the side.
“I played alongside Francis Ray as a rookie in 2012 with Mt Hagen Eagles,” he said.
“I’m used to him and assistant coach Joe Bruno, so they have helped me settle in.”

mikail-eagle

Bench

Frank, Wamdi commit to Gurias​

Former Waghi Tumbe captain Joe Frank during the Digicel Cup grand final presentation at the Oil Search National Football Stadium in Port Moresby last year. – PNGNRLCpic

REIGNING Digicel Cup runner-up centres Joe Frank and Valentine Wamdi say they have committed to Rabaul Gurias for the upcoming season.
The former Waghi Tumbe pair told The National yesterday that had arrived in Kokopo not only on a train-and-trial arrangement, but with the intention to play for the Agmark-sponsored side this year.
Former SP Hunter Frank and Wamdi quashed any possibility of returning to the 2021 losing grand finalists at the end of the trial.
“Wamdi and I moved to Kokopo because we wanted to play for Gurias,” former Tumbe captain Frank said.
“We will sign contracts that will see us stay at the club for the whole season.
“There is no existing contract between us and Tumbe, so we are free to move and we are excited to be part of Gurias this year.
“We’ve contributed to our provincial team (Tumbe), but we feel that we need to move on and play for different sides while we are still young and at our peak.”
Wamdi said the reason behind the move was to get a better shot at making the Hunters and Papua New Guinea Kumuls.
“Joe and I share the same opinion,” he said.
“After the Hunters’ selection list came out at the end of last season, only two Tumbe players (Francis Kembis and Matthew Jesse) made the squad and some of us missed out.
“When you look at the clubs like the Gurias and Lae Tigers, they have good systems and that is why you see more of their players coming through and making the Hunters and Kumuls or even getting contracts overseas.
“The Gurias’ coaching staff showed interest in us and we thought it was a great opportunity for us to join them to increase our chances of reaching the next level of our careers.
“It’s about growth and exposure, and the Gurias are all about that.
“We are happy to be part of the team and represent the people of East New Britain.”
Gurias team manager Mapua Tamtu said the pair had settled in well for the pre-season.
“We have them for pre-season training in preparation for the 2022 season,” he said.
“We hope they enjoy their time here in Rabaul.
“We look forward to working with the pair.
“We’re keen to see if they can form a good combination in the centres for us.
“But we’ll see how it goes first during pre-season training.”

mikail-eagle

Bench

The Digicel Cup kicks of this weekend.

For round 1 there will be double headers in Port Moresby and Lae plus two other matches that will take place in Wabag and Goroka.

mikail-eagle

Bench

Tigers aim up for title defence​

THE Digicel Cup season will kick off on Sunday with double-headers in Port Moresby and Lae while Goroka’s Sir Danny Leahy Oval and Aipus Oval in Wabag will host a game each.
Moni Plus-sponsored Port Moresby Vipers and Gulf Isou will host Mt Hagen Eagles and Waghi Tumbe respectively at the National Football Stadium.
Defending champions Lae Tigers will host Central Dabaris while Mendi Muruks faces Kimbe Cutters at the Lae Rugby League Ground.
The 2020 premiers Hela Wigmen will face a tough battle against the Bintangor-sponsored Lahanis who will look to get their season off on a winning note. It will not be easy for visitors Rabaul Gurias when they face Enga Mioks in Wabag.
Lae Tigers captain Roy Kela said during the season launch at the National Football Stadium yesterday the Tigers were ready to kick off their premiership defence with a win.
“We have been training since January and the players are ready to face the Dabaris,” said Kela, who has won four premierships with the Lae Biscuit Company-sponsored side so far.
“It’s a new era for us with premiership-winning coach Stanley Tepend joining the SP Hunters as an assistant coach.
“But I am confident in the leadership of new coach Oscar Tonga.
“Our preparations have been good.
“We are confident that we will finish well in the new season.
“As always, we will not be an easy team to beat because our goal this season is to retain the title.
“We are looking forward to facing the Dabaris on Sunday.”
Meanwhile, Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League manager Ora Gairo said capacity crowds would be allowed to attend matches, but they would need to adhere to strict Coronavirus protocols.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Round 1 Fixtures

1. Mendi Muruks v Kimbe Cutters ( Lae )
2. Lae Tigers v Central Dabaris (Lae)
3. Enga Mioks v Rabaul Gurias (Wabag)
4. Goroka Lahanis v Hela Wigmen (Goroka)
5. Port Moresby Vipers v Mt Hagen Eagles (Pom)
6. Gulf Isou v Waghi Tumbe (Pom)

mikail-eagle

Bench
Round 1 Results

1. Mendi Muruks 22 Kimbe Cutters 2
2. Lae Tigers 38 Central Dabaris 14
3. Enga Mioks 16 Rabaul Gurias 18
4. Goroka Lahanis 10 Hela Wigmen 12
5. Port Moresby Vipers 22 Mt Hagen Eagles 8
6. Gulf Isou 16 Waghi Tumbe 8

mikail-eagle

Bench
Round 2 Fixtures

1. Hela Wigmen vs Enga Mioks (Port Moresby)
2. Central Dabari vs Gulf Isou (Port Moresby)
3. Port Moresby Vipers vs Rabaul Gurias (Port Moresby)
4. Mt Hagen Eagles vs Mendi Muruks (Minj)
5. Waghi Tumbe vs Goroka Lahanis (Minj)
6. Kimbe Cutters vs Lae Tigers (Kimbe)

mikail-eagle

Bench
Round 3 Results;

1. Central Dabaris 28 Kimbe Cutters 20
2. Lae Tigers 32 Mt Hagen Eagles 20
3. Gulf Isou 6 Goroka Lahanis 0
4. Enga Mioks 8 Waghi Tumbe 4
5. Mendi Muruks 0 Rabaul Gurias 8
6. Port Moresby Vipers 12 Hela Wigmen 16

mikail-eagle

Bench
Ladder after round three
1. Lae Tigers 6
2. Gulf Isou 6
3. Agmark Gurias 4
4. Port Moresby Vipers 4
5. Enga Mioks 4
6. Hela Wigmen 4
7. Mendi Muruks 4
8. Waghi Tumbe 2
9. Central Dabaris 2
10. Goroka Lahanis 0
11.Hagen Eagles 0
12. Kimbe Cutters 0

2 Teams still undefeated after 3 rounds. While 3 other teams have yet to register a win.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Digicel Cup Round 4 Fixtures

1. Rabaul Gurias vs Lae Tigers (Kokopo)
2. Gulf Isou vs Enga Mioks (Port Moresby)
3. Hela Wigmen vs Mendi Muruks (Port Moresby)
4. Goroka Lahanis vs Cantral Dabaris (Goroka)
5. Waghi Tume vs Port Moresby Vipers (Minj)
6. Mt Hagen Eagles vs Kimbe Cutters (Minj)

mikail-eagle

Bench
Results from Round 5

Lae Tigers 44 def Hela Wigmen 12
2. Enga Mioks 18 def Goroka Lahanis 16
3. Mendi Muruks 18 def Waghi Tumbe 12
4. Pom Vipers 28 def Gulf Isou 18
5. Central Dabari 30 def Mt Hagen Eagles 20
6. Rabaul Gurias 26 def Kimbe Cutters 14