What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG HUNTERS 2021

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/boas-look-after-hunters/

Boas: Look after Hunters
January 26, 2021The NationalSports

Ase-Boas.jpg

Veteran campaigner Boas concerned about player welfare

By PARKER TAMBUA
SP PNG Hunters veteran Ase Boas is confident that player welfare will be looked at seriously with the club now registered as an entity.
The 2017 Intrust Super Cup winner paid tribute to former players who were pioneers of the club. Boas said at the Hunters farewell in Port Moresby last week that some of the former players had no career to return to after football and that he hoped to see the change in the club’s welfare approach going forward.
“I have been in the Hunters system for a long time and I’ve seen a lot of players that have come and gone,” said Boas, who is also a former Kumul.
“One thing me and coach Matthew Church have talked a lot about since he came in last year was the welfare of our players.
“A lot of boys have come through the system and when they went out they had nothing to fall back on and they are back at home.
“That is one thing that really saddens me.
“Our former stars like Adex Wera and Esau Siune, they were the pioneers of this club but where are they now?” The 32-year old said that since Hunters was now an entity, it had to set a standard for the future Hunters in terms of their wellbeing.
“Now that we have a lot of young boys who’ve just joined like Judah Rimbu who is only 19.
“They (young players) will be part of the team for years to come and with Hunters registered as an entity it’s good to know that they will look at career pathways for players, engaging them in educational programmes and upskilling them.
“That would set the benchmark for future Hunters to come and would carry the Hunters brand forward,” he said.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/im-excited-to-be-back-home-with-sp-hunters/

Churchies-Comments.jpg

I’m excited to be back home with SP Hunters
January 21, 2021The NationalSports
Article Views : 0

HELLO everyone, welcome to the first edition of Churchie’s Comment for the year in your favourite rugby league newspaper — The National.
It’s so good to be back home in Papua New Guinea since early November and back coaching the SP Hunters.
By now, we all know what lies ahead for the Hunters for the 2021 season.
While it’s a huge undertaking to relocate to Queensland, Australia, we are thankful to our naming-rights sponsor in South Pacific Brewery for their continued support.
Also to Kumul Petroleum Holdings Limited for coming back on board as platinum sponsors.
There are others as well who have pledged their support.
We need your support and understanding in a season we will spend away from PNG.
The players are making a huge sacrifice for PNG. Had we chosen not to compete in 2021, we most likely would have lost our position in the Intrust Super Cup competition.
There would have been no guarantee of us getting that position back anytime soon. This would have had a negative impact on the game moving forward.
I want to thank the families and friends of the Hunters staff and playing group who have chosen to relocate.
It is the time for our loved ones we sacrifice and without your support, this will be extremely difficult.
I thank you all from the bottom of my heart, I know how challenging it can be to relocate to another country and be away from your partner, children and extended families.
We have worked hard in the pre-season to address the challenges that lie ahead of us in 2021.
We also ask that our fans understand that at times across the year, the players will need your support and words of encouragement.
We don’t want to use the relocation to Queensland as a reason for poor performances and the players are aware of that. It’s more about how we mentally approach the season.
We have identified other Papua New Guineans who have left PNG and been successful, many of whom have left our shores alone and had success.
We are fortunate in that we will be a group of 36 living, training and playing together.
We saw in 2020 across all the major sports in Australia that living together in a camp environment had remarkable success for relocated teams.
We have named 11 new faces to the Hunters squad, most of whom are 19-22 years old.
I am excited to give these youngsters an opportunity and exposure to more talent scouts.
With us right under the nose of National Rugby League clubs, it gives us an opportunity for our players to attract some interest and be monitored weekly is one bonus for us in Queensland.
We won’t officially welcome assistant coach Paul Aiton on board until we exit the isolation period after relocation.
Paul has been in touch each week for updates on how we are progressing and I sense the excitement in his voice about adding value to the squad.
I know the players and staff will be just as excited for what Paul brings to the Hunters, as I am.
The relocation also presents us with the ability to bring in some highly-qualified consultants to support the programme and mentor players and staff throughout our stay in Queensland.
The ability to build capacity through the Hunters programme will have a huge flow-on affect for the game once we return to PNG.
Our staff can gain the next level of qualification and the opportunity for players to gain level one coaching or strength and conditioning qualifications.
This increases the number of people across the game in PNG that have these qualifications. That can only be a good thing for the game and the rugby league people in PNG.
Until next week when I come your way for more updates, let’s respect and be kind to each other.

Cheers,
Matt

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/bire-set-for-hunters-debut/

Bire set for Hunters debut

pt.jpg

Jokadi Bire flanked by SP Hunters squad members Joe Joshua (left) and Solo Wane (right) during a training session earlier in the week

Bire following Olam’s footsteps

SP PNG Hunters new recruit Jokadi Bire says he will dedicate his debut season in the Queensland Intrust Super Cup to his people in Salt Nomane, Chimbu.
The 21-year old is following in the footsteps of his fellow Chimbu man and Melbourne Storm centre Justin Olam who also played with the Lae Tigers while a student at the Papua New Guinea University of Technology.
Olam would make the Hunters 2016 squad and graduate the same year with a degree in applied physics from Unitech. His rookie season in the ISC would lead to the Sinasina man being signed by the Melbourne Storm and playing for its feeder club the Sunshine Coast Falcons in 2017 and 2018 before he made his NRL debut in round nine that year against the St George Illawarra Dragons.
Bire is treading a similar path having also attained a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering last year and is set to graduate in the coming months.
He was recruited by the Stanley Tepend-coached, Lae Tigers in 2019 while in his third year of his engineering programme. Like Olam, Bire played for two seasons in the Digicel Cup before he was recruited by Hunters.
“I come from a remote part of Chimbu (Salt Nomane) and where I come from there is no one from that area that has ever played in the Hunters or Kumuls,” he said at a Hunters training session at the Oil Search National Football Stadium on Monday.
“If I happened to debut this season, I will dedicate the season to the people of Salt Nomane.

“When we (Salt Nomane people) come to our provincial capital Kundiawa, people use to make fun of us because we come from the last frontier of the province.
“People from my district are also not commonly known in rugby league, I want to make a statement to Chimbu and PNG as a whole that yes, a native from Salt Nomane can represent the province and the country.”
Bire grew up in Kundiawa and while in primary school and high school, he played in the local league and spent most of his time at Dickson Oval.
He said the 2020 NRL title winner and former Lae Tiger, Olam, was his inspiration and he followed Storm games closely.
Even coach Matthew Church can see similarities in the way Bire has trained, his style of play and intensity given he was the Falcons assistant coach and had a hand in Olam’s development.
Bire said he felt he was following a similar path to Olam.
“Justin Olam is my role model. The timing was perfect for him (Olam), he completed his studies while playing for Tigers and then straight to Hunters and later he got the NRL contract after one season,” Bire said.
“He was disciplined and he sacrificed a lot to make it that far and I want to try my best revolve my game around that.”
Bire said one of his short term goals this year was to make the PNG Kumuls World Cup squad for the tournament in the United Kingdom. He said his other goal was to win a contract with another ISC team and even an NRL club.
The youngster also gave a word of advice to upcoming players who wanted to juggle education and rugby league.
“It comes down to discipline and commitment,” he said.
“If you are going play rugby league while pursuing education, time management is very important.
“When you wake up every morning, always try to fi

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/here-are-a-few-players-to-watch/

Churchies-Comments.jpg

Here are a few players to watch
February 4, 2021The NationalSports

Hello everyone, welcome to the third edition of Churchie’s comments for the year in your favourite rugby league newspaper — The National.
While we await for the approval of the relocation to Queensland, I thought I’d tell you about some of the exciting new players we have in the SP Hunters for 2021.
Edwin Ipape needs no introduction, after a stellar performance for the Papua New Guinea LNG Kumuls versus Great Britain in 2019.
Coming on at hooker before halftime, Edwin lit up the Oil Search National Football Stadium with an amazing solo try to put the momentum squarely in the Kumuls’ favour.
Edwin has since had a preseason with the Manly Sea Eagles and comes to the Hunters after an impressive season with the Lae Snax Tigers.
I feel Edwin needs a season of Intrust Super Cup to further unlock his potential. He brings energy to the Hunters and is often seen on his day off at the training field, working on his game.
Judah Rimbu and Solomon Pokare both had great seasons for the premiership winning Kroton Hela Wigmen.
Both young halves with a fair amount of composure, are not afraid to direct their team-mates around the field. Judah has some ingrained skills that are hard to coach, like counting numbers on the short side or scanning the ruck for opportunities.
What struck me most about this 19 year old, was his calmness. Most kids his age, playing against men, can get flustered easily. In camp, what impresses me about Judah is his work ethic and willingness to learn, especially off our more seasoned halves.
Kimbe Cutters centre Benji Kot had a good season in the Digicel Cup and Coach Michael Marum was also keen for his inclusion in the Hunters 2021 squad. Benji has the skill set to play wing and centre whilst also having enough size and power to play in the backrow. He has a good vertical leap, evasion and space awareness, which you need in finding the try line against a rushing defence.
Samuel Yegip off the back of an outstanding year, where he was named Front rower of the year in Digicel Cup demanded selection in the squad. A powerful and quick middle forward, he has the power to skittle defenders, as we all saw on the way to scoring the premiership winning try.
Sylvester Namo is another powerful middle forward. I was impressed on how he would come on for the Snax Tigers and really lift the intensity. The Tigers in 2020 contained a lot of experienced players and for a young front rower to up the level was impressive.
One such player that’s sure to draw comparison with our very own Justin Olam, is Jokadi Bire. It’s easy to see this alignment. They are from the same province, same position, have similar playing style, both have university degrees and both played at the Tigers. So while he may draw comparisons, it’s about him being the best Jokadi Bire he can be. He’s an impressive young man and I feel this step in challenge will be great for Jokadi.
The other new players, Norman Brown, Solo Wane, Gilmo Paul and Jeffery Robert have all come into the squad with plenty of energy and have trained hard. These 11 new faces all have put themselves in a position to become a Hunter. What I like most about this group is that out of the 11, 10 are under the age of 23 years old.
I have made no secret that the Hunters are a pathway to the elite level. What NRL clubs look for is someone that has a long future ahead of them.
When they leave the Hunters, as we’ve seen with Justin, is that it’s still going to take time to develop into an NRL player.
So with that in mind as a pathway, we have to serve up what the elite clubs will want. Hence why we have gone young with these recruits.
Until next week, stay safe, play safe and let’s all respect and be kind to each other.

Cheers,
Matt

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/boas-joins-hunters/
Watson-Boas.jpg

Boas joins Hunters
February 9, 2021The NationalSports

Halfback to train, play with Church’s men until UK eases travel restrictions

By PATRICIA KEAMO
HALFBACK Watson Boas, pictured, will join the SP Hunters ahead of the upcoming Queensland Intrust Super Cup (ISC) season due to travel restrictions which have delayed his return to the United Kingdom for the 2021 Betfred League 1 season.
The Papua New Guinea Kumul was set to re-join Doncaster to complete his two-year contract but club chief executive Carl Hall and Hunters coach Matthew Church agreed to let Boas train and play with the 2017 ISC champions due to the travel delay.
Church told The National yesterday that the arrangement would give the 26-year-old a solid preparation for Doncaster and this year’s Rugby League World Cup in England.
“I spoke with Hall about the Hunters supporting Watson by keeping him fit while training with some of his long-term teammates,” he said.
“Hall and I discussed options for both clubs supporting Watson (Boas) while he remained in a holding pattern.
“With the League 1 competition facing a delayed start to the year, we have agreed to have Boas play for the Hunters until he is required by the Dons.”
Church thanked Hall for supporting Boas and said the agreement was a win-win situation for both clubs and the Kumuls.
“He has been part of the squad (Hunters) for a number of weeks while we were awaiting an agreement from the English Rugby Football League.
“So this agreement allows him to be registered with both clubs before the start of Doncaster’s season.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
Churchies-Comments.jpg

Boas will bring a lot of energy
February 11, 2021The NationalSports

Hello everyone, welcome to the fourth edition of Churchie’s Comments for the year in your favourite rugby league newspaper — The National.
Well, it’s been a busy week for me at the SP Hunters while we continue to map our way to Queensland.
As announced earlier in the week, the South Pacific Brewery-sponsored Hunters have managed to secure one of PNG’s favourite sons in Watson Boas for the start of the 2021 Intrust Super Cup season.
In an arrangement with Doncaster, this will see the English Rugby Football League allow Watson to be dual registered while he awaits approval to fly to the United Kingdom (UK).
Watson has been training with us for some time to maintain his fitness whilst also allowing him to be around some of his long-time teammates.
I met with Watson in Port Moresby after we resumed pre-season training last month and asked if he’d like to keep fit by training with the Hunters.
Knowing Watson has a World Cup year with the PNG LNG Kumuls in 2021, I felt it was the best way to support him.
Before he was allowed to train with us, I told him I would have to clear it with Doncaster first.
My first conversation with Doncaster chief executive Carl Hall was around how we both wanted to support Watson.
With the ongoing world situation around Covid-19 affecting the season starting in the UK, further discussions happened in the following weeks around how we could both benefit from a dual registration.
I really have to thank Carl for showing genuine care for Watson’s situation and for seeing the benefits for not only both clubs but for the game as a whole.
It was great to talk with someone not only passionate about the game but also supporting the people in it by being open to this arrangement.
Anytime you add an Intrust Super Cup premiership-winning and test halfback to your squad is a great addition.
Having worked around Queensland Rugby League and National Rugby League programmes since the Hunters’ inception, I had seen Watson play often.
I must admit it wasn’t until I saw Watson play the test against Great Britain in Port Moresby 2019 that I thought to myself “I’d really love to coach this guy”.
I was in attendance, I’d accepted the role as Hunters coach and my announcement was being made in the few days after the Test.
What I saw in the Test made me think this person is an absolute competitor.
He was making tackles on the other side of the field, he was busy in attack and just brought a lot of energy to the team.
It’s really hard to coach competitiveness, most people are just born with it. They are driven to do things and turn up not because they are needed, but just in case they are needed. That’s a huge difference.
Watson, by nature, is also a leader by actions. He is not afraid to tell someone that they need do things better.
In his first session, he stopped the drill and pointed out to the players that they needed to have more energy, that’s what competitors do.
With their actions, they invariably tell the group “ask more of yourselves”.
Competitors raise standards. They only ever want to get beaten by someone that’s just purely more talented than them, they never want to get beaten because they got outworked. Champions do extra.
Until next week, stay safe, play safe and let’s all respect and be kind to each other.

Cheers
Matt

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.rnz.co.nz/international...lieved-after-completing-month-long-quarantine

PNG Hunters "relieved" after completing month-long quarantine

The Hunters have relocated to Australia to compete in the Queensland Cup, after last year's competition was cancelled because of Covid-19.

The team spent 17 days in quarantine before departing Port Moresby and have just completed a 14 day stint in managed isolation at a Brisbane hotel.

After nearly five weeks shut off from the outside world, coach Matt Church said the squad was finally released from quarantine on Sunday.

"I think the boys are enjoying the fact that we have a bit more freedom and they can actually leave the building or leave the room that they're in," he said.
"We just finished having lunch and the boys are probably going to check out what's in and around our base and just explore the new surroundings."

The Hunters squad are settling into their new base at the Gold Coast Performance Centre in Runaway Bay, which will be their home away from home for the next seven to eight months.

"We've got a lodge, 20 guests per lodge so we're across two lodges but the facility is fantastic," Chuch explained.

"It's got an Olympic swimming pool, it's got an Olympic running track as well and seven or eight other fields in and around, a commercial gym. It was basically set up 20 years ago for Commonwealth Games training events and Olympic training events so that's how it's used."

As part of the Hunters participation agreement with Queensland Rugby League, they established an Australia company to run the team during the 2021 season. The players and management staff were in the process of opening local bank accounts and would be considered Australian residents for tax purposes during the upcoming campaign.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/3c23ad6778a3152572441a22ad883e8b

PNG Hunters set to unleash Justin Olam clone Jokadi Bire as door opens for James Segeyaro

He has a YouTube highlights reel that has seen him earn the nickname ‘The Beast’ and he’s got 8 million league-mad fans back home cheering him on.
Meet Jokadi Bire, a new signing for the PNG Hunters who has been compared to Justin Olam and looks set to light up Queensland’s Intrust Super Cup when it kicks off on Saturday.

Bire is a 22-year-old who scored 11 tries in Papua New Guinea’s Digicel Cup last season before being added to the Hunters set-up this year.

Described by local media as “explosive” Bire is one of 11 new faces in the Hunters squad, with five set to debut this weekend against the Wynumm Manly Seagulls in a game which is being streamed free and live on Kayo.

“He’s one to watch. He’s attracted quite a bit of interest already,” Hunters coach Matt Church tells foxsports.com.au.

“The similarities between him and Justin [Olam] are endless.

“They are both from the same region (Simbu), the same position (left centre) and play the same position. They are both educated with engineering degrees and came through the same club (Lae Snax Tigers) in the national comp.

“He knows, though, that he has to just focus on being the best Jokadi Bire.

“I’ve gone young [with my selections] because I know that’s the appetite of what the NRL will want to see to the potential to develop and [for the players] to have a 10-year career ahead of them.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/03/19/hunters-appoint-new-general-manager/

Hunters appoint new general manager

The PNG Hunters have appointed one of rugby league’s most respected innovators as their new general manager while they are based in Queensland for the 2021 Intrust Super Cup season.

Scott Barker, who was part of Wayne Bennett’s brains trust for almost two decades as the decorated coach’s high-performance analyst, will build on the Hunters’ success as they embark upon their historic 2021 season.

The Hunters face the biggest undertaking in their short history. COVID-19 travel restrictions have forced Hunters coach Matt Church and his 24-strong playing squad to relocate to the Gold Coast Performance Centre at Runaway Bay for the season.

Barker, who has spent time in many roles at the Broncos, Dragons, Knights, Maroons, Kangaroos, France and England, said he was honoured to be appointed Hunters general manager.

“There is nothing like the passion that PNG has for rugby league and the Hunters are a big part of that,” Barker said.

“I’ve been lucky enough to be on tours with the Broncos, Kangaroos and England to experience the Hunters and Kumuls play at their home stadium – it’s akin to an Origin night in Queensland.

“I am excited about the opportunity to work with Churchie (coach Matt Church), the board and staff to help make a real difference and be part of something special.

"Our aim is to work together with the squad to continue to develop rugby league in PNG to the highest levels.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/we-are-fortunate-to-be-competing-in-2021/

Churchies-Comments.jpg

We are fortunate to be competing in 2021
March 25, 2021The NationalSports

Hello everyone, welcome to the sixth ‘Churchie’s Comments’ for the year in your favourite rugby league newspaper — The National.
Well, the SP Hunters are back and so great to be able to be doing what we love.
We understand we are fortunate to be able to be competing in 2021.
Many thanks must go to Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League (PNGRFL) chairman Sandis Tsaka, board members and chief executive Stanley Hondina for providing the Hunters separation to meet Intrust Super Cup competition participation agreement.
This ensures the programme competes into the future and aligns with world sport.
Thanks also to the new Hunters chairman and board for their vision in also assisting with this for our players and staff.
It is also a huge win, adding the business acumen of all the members of the board to grow the Hunters brand.
At times, having this relocation work ahead of us, it seemed like we might not get here to Queensland.
I know I sat in some meetings that no other head coach was going through.
We had no reference point or any previous experience in what we were about to undertake.
Tsaka once remarked: “It’s like flying to the moon for the first time.”
We knew we had the backing and support of both boards.
But Hondina was instrumental in our meetings with stakeholders across both countries.
We also spent many hours together, before isolation, working hard on this and pushing forward to make this happen.
I’m not sure it was as simple as flying to the moon…… I feel like Hondina and I made the space suits, built the rocket then learnt how to fly it to the moon.
Thanks Hondina for your help and guidance and to keep this a possibility for our people. We are forever in your debt.
Much has been made of our journey and disrupted preseason.
I did feel it was like a win just being able to be ready for round one.
We are fully aware of what’s happening back home and want you all to be happy with our efforts and hope that the Hunters can bring some normality for a couple of hours each week.
To be honest, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect after 31 days in isolation without any contact training.
I just wanted our boys to play with heart and effort. To put themselves in contention against a quality Wynnum side would be a good feat.
To have the game in the balance in the dying minutes will be something I will remember for my coaching lifetime. By far, my proudest moment as Hunters coach.
Congratulations to debutants Jokadi Bire, Samuel Yegip, Benji Kot, Sylvester Namo, Edwin Ipape and Judah Rimbu and also our returning Hunters players in Watson Boas and Wartovo Puara Jr. I thought the whole performance of the team was a great start to the season.
There is plenty of work to be done around our game, game management and kicking game.
We always knew that we’d be nowhere near the finished product to start the year.
To mark their respect towards our boys, the Wynnum captain gathered his team post game to thank the Hunters players for their sacrifice.
Their coach and chief executive also offered their encouraging thoughts to me after the game.

Cheers
Matt

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/four-hunters-to-be-considered/

Four Hunters to be considered
April 6, 2021The NationalSports

By PARKER TAMBUA
SP PNG Hunters coach Matthew Church says his four players who stayed back in the country would be considered to re-join the team once the travel restrictions between Papua New Guinea and Australia are eased.
Church told The National yesterday that a PNG Kumul (not named) had reached out to him for a possible mid-season inclusion in the Hunters.
But the Australian said he would only consider the four players from the final squad.
The four players are believed to be Stanton Albert, Ase Boas, Gilmo Paul and Stanley Olo.
“We can’t make any consideration until there is a clear path that someone can travel from PNG to Queensland,” Church said.
“Consideration will be for those that did the pre-season with the Hunters as they were part of the final 30-man squad.
“Those guys had visa applications in place but didn’t travel for one reason or another.
“We are now guided by the Australian government and if we can get any more players from PNG, then we would, but the current restrictions don’t allow for that.”
Meanwhile, Church said he had told the Kumul that it was not an option to consider him at this stage.
“The player (not named) reached out to me and asked to be considered,” he said.
“However, it was too late for anything to happen at the time of his request.
“All I told him was that I would ask around and see if we needed a top up from our original 30.
“At this stage, no consideration has been made for that player.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/hunters-recruit-knights-legend/

Hunters recruit Knights legend
The NationalSports

THE SP Hunters have recruited former New South Wales and Newcastle Knights forward Ben Cross as a coaching consultant for their upcoming Queensland Intrust Super Cup campaign.
The 95-National Rugby League game legend is among three consultants recruited by Hunters boss Matthew Church as he looks to refine his players’ skills and up-skill his coaching staff.
Cross played a total of eight NRL seasons for Canberra, Melbourne and Newcastle before joining the English Super League from 2011-2013.
The other two personnel are high performance manager Jeremy Hickmans and data and video analysis consultant ScotMeanwhile, new Hunters assistant coach and former Papua New Guinea Kumuls captain Paul Aiton has also joined the 2017 champions ahead of Saturday’s season opener against Wynnum Manly (2.40pm kick-off) with television coverage on TVWAN Plus to start at 2.30pm.
The Hunters will wear black armbands and observe a minute’s silence to pay their respects to the late Grand Chief Sir Michael Somare.

t Barker, both of whom served under master NRL coach Wayne Bennett for a total of 34 years at the NRL and representative levels.
“Hickmans’ role is to train our performance staff and deliver the level two strength and conditioning qualifications,” Church said in his weekly ‘Churchie’s Comments, which is exclusive to The National.
“To gain level two, our staff need 100 hours working under someone like Hickmans, which would be almost impossible to do in PNG.
“Barker has served as Wayne Bennett’s data and video analyst for 19 years at the NRL, State of Origin and international levels.
“He will also train coaching staff around video analysis while also training other staff on how to video or fly a drone to capture training footage.
“My goal for our players and staff to get the most of out of their sacrifice to relocate is to provide them with a learning environment.
“And to train and coach them as close as possible to an NRL club.
“Adding these men and their experience means we certainly rival some NRL teams for their high performance coaching staff.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
Loosing Waston Boas is going to be a big loss.

https://www.thenational.com.pg/boas-set-for-uk-return/

Kumuls star to play his last game for Hunters on Sunday

Watson Boas

SP Hunters halfback Watson Boas says he will leave for the United Kingdom next week to re-join Doncaster for the final season of his two-year deal with the Betfred League One club.
The Papua New Guinea international has been training and playing with the SP Hunters in the Queensland Intrust Super Cup (ISC) after an agreement between coach Matthew Church and Doncaster chief executive Carl Hall.
This arrangement was made to keep Boas fit and give him a solid preparation for the upcoming season in the third-tier competition after travel restrictions had delayed his return early this year.
Boas told The National yesterday that he was looking forward to re-joining Doncaster.
“Due to the Covid-19 travel restrictions last year, I couldn’t return to England,” the 26-year-old said.
“But they (Doncaster) honoured my contract and paid me while I was in PNG.
“So to honour my part of the contract, I’ll go back and complete my term and see what next year holds for me.
“The season starts next month so I’m really looking forward to re-joining my club and teammates for the upcoming season.”
When asked about how his teammates would react to his departure after four rounds in the ISC season, Boas said he was confident that the third-placed Hunters were heading in the right direction with their new crop of players.
“I believe young Judah Rimbu will step up and lead when I’m gone,” he said. “He had some game time over the last four rounds and I’ve been talking to him during training, so I think he will lead the players well in the halves.
“There are also international players like Edwin Ipape and Wartovo Puara Jr in the team, so we have an abundance of playmakers which is good for our attack.”
Meanwhile, according to totalrl.com, Hall expects Boas to be fit for Doncaster’s opening clash with the Keighley Cougars on May 9.
“He’ll probably play his last match with the Hunters this weekend and then we’ll look at getting him on the next flight back here,” he said.
Hall also confirmed that Boas would remain as the club’s first-choice five-eighth despite him being handed squad No.24.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Good partnership to have so that squad players are staying match fit.

https://www.thenational.com.pg/hunters-players-join-local-clubs-on-gold-coast/

Hunters players join local clubs on Gold Coast

THE SP Hunters are affiliated to three local clubs that are participating in a third-tier competition known as Rugby League Gold Coast, according to an official.
Hunters general manager Scott Barker told The National last week that the affiliation with the local clubs was important as it would help the squad in maintaining their fitness.
With the Hunters squad consisting 24 players, it means that seven players will not be required for Intrust Super Cup duties on a weekly basis and they will still need to play matches to maintain their fitness.
The Hunters have established partnerships with local clubs, Helensvale Hornets, Runaway Bay Seagulls and Ormeau Shearers.
“The premise and importance of having players go back to affiliate clubs is one of making sure they keep up their match fitness and skills under pressure,” Barker said.
“From all our conversations, both parties (the clubs and Hunters) are very happy with the arrangement for this season.
“So we are affiliated to three teams in the Gold Coast competition, the Helensvale Hornets, Runaway Bay Seagulls and the Ormeau Shearers.”
The Gold Coast competition kicked off its pre-season round one two weeks ago.
Hunters trio Norman Brown, Jeffery Robert and Solo Wane featured for the Helensvale Hornets when they played against Tugun Seahawks in the A Grade.
Robert, who is affiliated with the Hornets, thanked coach Hunters Matthew Church and the management for establishing the relationship with local clubs.

mikail-eagle

Bench
The hunters seem to be flying at the moment ME. Any standout players so far and any players who you think are with in with a chance of securing an NRL deal for next year?

Not sure if there have been any real standouts. Through the first 4 games this year there has been great team work and everyone have executed there roles perfectly.

But if you want me to single out a few players for the NRL than I think the following a chance;

1. Edwin Ipape - Currently the reserve hooker. Had a stint with Manly Sea Eagles early last year but had
to return home when the NSW Cup was cancelled. He will probably move to the halfs to
take over from Watson Boas when the later returns to the UK next week.

2. Jokedi Bire- Justin Olam clone playing left centre. Came through the same Digicel Cup Team as Justin
Olam. This is his debut season with the Hunters

3. Samuel Yegip- Prop forward. Has so far scored 2 barnstorming tries. Also his debut season.

4. Judah Rimbu- At 19 years of age he is the youngest in the squad. Plays in the halfs and hooker as
well. Will get more game time with the departure of Watson Boas next week.

The other player who has really stood out is foundation player Wartovo Puara jnr. He is making a come after 2 seasons with Barrow Raiders in the UK. At 28 years of age I think NRL boat has already sailed for him. But he there in the Team for his experience because he is only 1 of 3 players left over from 2017 Premiership wining side.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Hunters vs Bears on Kayo today.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/04/23/bears-and-hunters-to-battle-for-kokoda-cup/

Bears and Hunters to battle for Kokoda Cup
The Burleigh Bears and PNG Hunters will go head-to-head on ANZAC Day in the battle for the Kokoda Cup. The Bears have won it four times and the Hunters, twice.

Be sure to watch live and free via Kayo Freebies, 9Now, QRL.com.au, the Intrust Super Cup app and Intrust Super Cup Facebook page. Video: Bill Scurfield/QRL

Latest posts