What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Hunters

Damn, I'm starting to question whether the 'revolutionary' style of football the Walker brothers have cooked up in Ipswich is a myth. Gotta take into account the top two teams above them though; T'ville Blackhawks (basically a NRL team in the ISC) and Hunters (who have the burden of impressing a whole country of RL fanatics.) Still skeptical if it can work in the NRL.

hellteam

First Grade
Yes that have played their last game in kokopo. So would be expecting massive crowds for the remaining port Moresby games.

I think any home finals they qualify for will be played in Brisbane, as per agreement made when they entered the competition. Probably at Langlands I'd say

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I notice their Country Week game against Wynnum originally listed as being in Goroka has been quietly moved to Port Moresby.

mikail-eagle

Bench
I notice their Country Week game against Wynnum originally listed as being in Goroka has been quietly moved to Port Moresby.

Was never going to happen in Goroka. The Grounds up there are just not good enough to host such matches.

And believe me if I was a Wynnum player I'd rather play in Port Moresby or Kokopo than in Goroka.

mikail-eagle

Bench
PNG captain has been on fire this season, surely he deserves a spot in a struggling NRL team at least.

http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/92936

NRL awaits Eliab
Source:
The National,Thursday August 13th, 2015

QUEENSLAND Cup commentators Mike Rabbitt and Adrian Vowles say it is only a matter of time before Hunters captain Israel Eliab is signed up by a National Rugby League club.

The pair sung Eliab?s praises during the TVWAN broadcast last Saturday, where the 25-year-old lead his side to a convincing 32-14 win over the Ipswich Jets.
Rabbitt was particularly animated after Eliab scored yet another length-of-the-field try bringing his 2015 tally to 19, only three tries behind the club record of 22 set by winger Gary Lo last year.
?Eliab does it (scores long range tries) on a weekly basis. He?s deceptively fast and he?s strong, he has that tackle breaking ability and then the pace to go the length of the field,? Rabbitt, pictured, a veteran Queensland sports commentator said.
?If any NRL clubs are watching this, I won?t be surprised if someone picks him up next year. He?s clearly at that level.?
Vowles, who played State of Origin for Queensland in 1994 quipped that the struggling Newcastle Knights needed a spark and could do no worse than Eliab.
?I think a club like the Knights could use him. I don?t mean any offence to a player like Jarrod Mullins who?s their main man but he?s out for the season and Newcastle are in need of a playmaker and ball runner,? Vowles said.

Vowles a former Gold Coast Seagulls and North Queensland Cowboys centre likened Eliab to a young John Simon, the former NRL journeyman who played for five clubs over a 12-year career (1990-2001) and earned a reputation as a strong ball runner and defender.
Simon played four Origin matches for NSW and one test for Australia.
?He reminds me of a player like John Simon for the Illawarra Steelers. Tough, fast and dangerous with ball in hand.?
Eliab?s combination with halfback Ase Boas has been one of the reasons for his great form this season.
The pair complement each other?s games with Eliab given time to pick his moments with devastating effect without having the burden of being the chief shot caller in the backline.
Eliab?s impact on the Queensland Cup last year was almost immediate with the five-eighth earning accolades for his leadership and his ability with the ball.
He missed out on the Q-Cup player of the year award to fellow Kumul Luke Page.

He may have struggled slightly throughout the course of the Hunters? debut year finding his feet as he was shifted from the No.6 jersey to fullback and then to the centres.

But the after a season under his belt in the Q-Cup the East New Britain native is going from strength to strength and his progress is mirroring the success of the Hunters in 2015 who have not lost a game since Round 6 having won 13 from 14 with one draw and are poised for a top two finish.
Hunters coach Michael Marum said he was pleased that Eliab was one of the three players he insisted should be part of the Hunters set up in their inaugural year in 2014.

The two players were the equally talented Wartovo Puara Jr and Ase Boas.
?Israel, Ase and Warts were the young guys we groomed as part of the Gurias development programme and I spent a lot of time with these guys and I know how good they are that?s the reason I wanted them in the Hunters,? Marum said.
?Israel is a great player and leader. He?s developed a lot since his time at the Gurias and he?s one our best.?

From winning a Digicel Cup with the Vipers in 2013 to being part of the Kumuls World Cup squad that same year, Eliab?s star has not waned one bit, on the contrary its getting brighter.
Eliab will lead his team out before an expectant home crowd numbering 15,000 plus at the Sir John Guise Stadium on Sunday against the Wynnum Manly Seagulls in their Round 23 clash.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.facebook.com/pages/PNGRFL-Papua-New-Guinea-Rugby-Football-League/531057333687951?fref=nf

MEDIA RELEASE - Phil Gould, Penrith Panthers executives to visit PNG

Famous rugby league personality Phil Gould is part of a four-member Penrith Panthers delegation that will visit Port Moresby this weekend.

PNG Rugby Football League chairman Sandis Tsaka when announcing this said they appreciated the gesture of the Penrith Panthers following almost 12 months of dialogue.
“We are looking at a long-term partnership with the Penrith Panthers and we appreciate their time and this great opportunity as they are the first NRL club that has reached out to PNGRFL,” Tsaka said.

Tsaka said Gould, the Penrith Panthers Rugby League Chief Executive Officer Justin Pascoe, Marketing Manager Anthony Frantzis, Complete League Coach Owner and Creator Graham Windeatt will arrive on Saturday and among the discussions being planned, will watch the SP Hunters game against Wynnum Manly Seagulls on Sunday.

Among some of the points to be discussed include a joint membership between Penrith Panthers and PNGRFL programs which include the SP Hunters, a player pathway for PNG players into the NRL system, coaching assistance and the possibility of a trial match between Penrith Panthers NSW Cup and the Hunters.

“We have been in discussions for over 12 months and over the weekend we hope to firm up things and sign an MOU to get this relationship to a stage where we can benefit from Penrith Panthers expertise in a wide range of areas, not just in football but administration among others.”

Tsaka said that this is an opportunity that PNGRFL wanted to maximise as much as possible which will “give us a template that we can use to foster similar relationships with other NRL clubs, who might be interested”.

Gould or Gus as he is known is very popular to Papua New Guineans because of his work as a Channel 9 commentator, and former coach of the New South Wales Origin side, but now holds the position of Executive General Manager for Penrith Panthers.

Tsaka said PNGRFL was very privileged to have this visit by such a high powered delegation and have planned a series of activities such as a Meet-N-Greet do with many of their stakeholders including sponsors, and the SP Hunters and fans who purchase grandstand tickets following the Hunters versus Wynnum Manly game.

The Sunday event will be at the Crystal Lounge at Cosmopolitan at Vision City.
“It is not a huge place so whoever observes the dress standards as required by this club and most importantly gets there first before it is full will be allowed entry if they show the appropriate grandstand tickets.”

Tickets for the game go on sale starting on Friday at Stop-N-Shop outlets in Port Moresby with K50 for grandstand, K25 for outerstands. No tickets will be sold at the gates

mikail-eagle

Bench
From The Roar

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/08/20/climb-aboard-the-png-hunters-bandwagon/

Climb aboard the PNG Hunters bandwagon!

By Shannon Meyer, 20 Aug 2015

I’ve always followed the Queensland Cup rugby league – cheap entry, cheap beer, kids on the field at half time, grass hill, memories of childhood, what’s not to love?

I check the scores each week, go to a handful of games each year at Dolphin Oval, and I maintain it is an underrated competition.

The last few seasons my interest has been stoked by the arrival of a new team in the competition – the Papua New Guinea Hunters.

I have a substantial soft spot for the Hunters. In fact you could call me a Hunters groupie, as I have graced most of their southeast Queensland appearances in the past two seasons, including their inaugural Queensland Cup game in 2014 at Dolphin Oval.

Their style of rugby league excites – no offload is impossible, no opportunity for punishing defence is missed, no place on the field is forbidden to start a try from. Most of all, the passion they bring is infectious and addictive, from the warm-up to the final siren.

I’ve dragged a few league fans to Hunters games over the past two seasons, and all have been caught up in it and converted. They seem to be popular everywhere they go, with a Hunters game usually a good chance for a surge in fan numbers at the ground – occasionally they even outnumber home fans.

Of course nowhere are they more popular than in their home country, well known to be the only country where rugby league is the national sport. The only sell-out game of last weekend’s round came in Port Moresby, and the number at the game was only beaten by the Broncos and Cowboys. The previous visit to Port Moresby saw a crowd higher than every NRL game of that round.

For those out of the loop, the Papua New Guinea Hunters entered the Queensland Cup last year, and it is the second appearance of a team from Papua New Guinea in Queensland’s top comp, after the Port Moresby Vipers played in 1996 and 1997.

The Hunters’ first season provided plenty of the qualities that have seen them become one of the top clubs in this year’s competition, but a little bit of inexperience and a bad mid-season run saw them miss the finals by one spot.

It looked like second-season syndrome in 2015 as the Hunters lost three of their first six games, but Round 6 was the last loss for the PNG side, who have now been unbeaten since April – a draw with Redcliffe the only minor hiccup.

This run has included all the style they are loved for, but they have also found that toughness to get home in a number of close games, and †hey are fast becoming the perfect package in the Queensland Cup.

They are now guaranteed a top-two spot and will play Townsville in the first week of the finals (a team they have beaten twice this year).

So it is time to jump on board the Papua New Guinea Hunters bandwagon before the word gets out and Hunters become big time news, and to do so you should get to know a few of the names that people will be talking about soon.

The halves – Israel Eliab and Ase Boas – are top class and wouldn’t look out of place in the NRL.

Fullback Stargroth Amean can sniff out a try from anywhere. A great example of this was last year at Davies Park where a spilled bomb by his winger happened to bounce sideways and into the arms of an already steaming Amean, who went from in-goal to in-goal to score an unbelievable try.

Not quite as flashy, but big and tough are prop Esau Siune, and centre Thompson Teteh. There’s also the underrated goal kicking from the other centre, Noel Zemming, who has got the Hunters out of some close games this season.

You could write a story for all the Hunters, but there’s one man that seems to capture the imagination like no other, Willie Minoga. The man voted fan’s favourite from last year has continued the brand of football that delighted in 2014, and there is always the anticipation of No. 16 coming onto the field for the first time each game. His barnstorming runs and ferocious defence have got the fans excited this year, and he scores tries more often than a replacement forward is usually warranted to do so.

In fear this love-in may be a poisoned chalice for the Hunters, I’ve waited until the top two position was safe to share my thoughts. If this season does end in a grand final appearance at Suncorp Stadium on September 27, any rugby league fan close enough to Brisbane will be doing themselves a disservice by not making the effort to attend.

If the swelling of fans and noise at Hunters away games for the regular season in Brisbane is any indication, this will be the rugby league experience of 2015. Keep the date free and spread the word.

For others, keep an eye for the replays on Fox Sports during the week.
But get on board now, before they are State Champions on NRL grand final day.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Well written article.

However, "They are now guaranteed a top-two spot and will play Townsville in the first week of the finals" is not correct.

Both 1 and 2 have the first week off with the games being 3v6 and 4v5. After that, it's a traditional final four system with major and minor semis, Prelim and Grand Finals.

Not as bad as Wynnum's coach being quoted this week as saying coming third will be great as it gives you two chances. Sorry, Jon, this year it doesn't.

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2016/07/28/a_different_measurem.html

A different measurement of success
by Tony Webeck

Thu 28th July, 06:10PM

There are two measurements by which PNG Hunters coach Michael Marum is judged; games won by the Hunters and players who leave the club in search of bigger and better opportunities elsewhere.

At any other club that second measurement would be seen as a negative mark against the coach, but for Marum and the Hunters, it has been the modus operandi since the club’s introduction into the Intrust Super Cup three years ago.

Currently sitting in third position on the ladder, the Hunters can have a major influence on the make-up of the top six in the coming fortnight with games against Ipswich and Burleigh at Port Moresby’s National Football Stadium.

Easts’ position in the top six is now precarious after a 38-8 defeat at the hands of the Hunters last weekend and Redcliffe only escaped with the two competition points the week prior at Dolphin Oval courtesy of two tries in the final six minutes.

The Hunters should have little trouble qualifying for the finals for the second season in succession, but Marum’s job description extends much further than simply wins and losses.

The formation of the Hunters was primarily to help raise the standard of rugby league in Papua New Guinea and to elevate the national team into international relevance once again.

Marum serves as both coach of the Hunters and coach of the Kumuls and knows that the latter of those two jobs will be made infinitely easier by players graduating from the Hunters program and going on to develop their skills overseas either in the NRL or in England.

Last year’s captain Israel Eliab is now contracted to the London Broncos, Willie Minoga is in the backyard of the North Queensland Cowboys at the Blackhawks, Kato Ottio is edging ever closer to an NRL debut with the Raiders and winger Justin Olam has been offered a contract with the Melbourne Storm for the next two years.

Olam scored a double in the win over Easts last week to take his tally to 10 in his first season in the Intrust Super Cup and Marum knows that the Hunters’ loss next year will eventually prove to be the Kumuls’ gain.

“The more local players from PNG that go and play with the NRL sides that's going to help with the national team,” Marum said.

“In Justin's case, he has gone to Melbourne and he will be under good coaches down there and really good training staff. He'll come back with a lot of experience and for the team that’s something that we are really looking forward to.”

Halfback Watson Boas – who starred for the Kumuls in their mid-year Test win over Fiji – is the next Hunters player Marum predicts will come under the eyes of NRL clubs.

“There are a few boys that clubs are probably talking to. Maybe Watson Boas at his age. He's still young and I think if he is given a chance he can probably compete at that level,” Marum said.

“Apart from that we would probably look at the younger boys coming through. We had one player who was supposed to go to the Cronulla Sharks 20s but he didn't travel this year due to other commitments but he has played all the games this year and is still there.”

Titans fullback David Mead captained the Kumuls for the first time in May and having been disillusioned with the governance of the game in PNG previously is now excited about what the Hunters program has been able to achieve in not only winning games, but providing local players with a genuine opportunity to better themselves.

“There are a couple of players that have been signed by NRL clubs through the Hunters system so I think they’re doing a pretty good job developing players over there and making sure they meet standards of the training requirements every week,” Mead said.

“Obviously the players are doing that and being rewarded with contracts overseas.

“Hopefully we can get more and more players playing in the NRL and getting that level of experience.”

Which would mean that Marum has to go searching for even more local talent to play for the Hunters in the Intrust Super Cup next year.

A former editor of Big League, Tony Webeck is the Chief Queensland Correspondent for NRL.com.