What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG KUMULS HEAD COACH VACANCY

mikail-eagle

Bench
Hi all,

Thought this deserved a thread of its own.
With the World Cup at the end of the year everyone in PNG expected Micheal Marum to still be there but unfortunately his contract expired on the 31st December 2021.
The word on the street is that Michael Marum is running for elections this year hence he has decided not to re-apply for the position.
It will be very interesting to see which candidates put their hats in the ring.

mikail-eagle

Bench

Kumuls coach role advertised​

March 14, 2022The NationalSports
THE Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League (PNGRFL) has advertised the role of Kumuls head coach as a matter of compliance as it prepares for this year’s World Cup.
League chairman Sandis Tsaka said last December that the board had approved for coach Michael Marum to continue in the role until a permanent appointment was made.
“As such, in compliance with our governance and human resources processes, PNGRFL has sought to advertise the position,” he said.
“The coach appointed will be responsible to prepare the national team for this year’s planned international programmes and take the PNG LNG Kumuls to the Rugby League World Cup in England in October.”
League chief executive officer Stanley Hondina confirmed with The National last night that it was up to Marum whether to re-apply for the role.
“We can’t answer that for him,” he said.
Tsaka said Marum coached the national men’s rugby league team for a third-consecutive term before his contract had expired.
“Marum has led the Kumuls coaching team in his role as the national coach over the last eight years with great distinction,” he said.
“During his tenure as the national head coach from 2014 to 2022, the Kumuls had improved greatly in their international rankings to rise from 16th to fifth place.”
The Kumuls have won seven out of the 10 Tests overseen by Marum as head coach.
Marum’s highlights in the role was the 2016 Pacific Test against Fiji at Parramatta Stadium in Sydney, Australia where his men won 24-22.
The win was Kumuls’ first win on foreign soil in 16 years.
Another highlight was the 2017 Rugby League World Cup where the Kumuls beat Wales, Ireland and the United States in their pool matches at Port Moresby’s National Football Stadium.
Marum’s most recent highlight was the Kumuls’ historic Test win over the Great Britain Lions in Port Moresby in 2019.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Decision is mine

Michael Marum says he will make a decision by the end of the month on whether to re-apply or not for the PNG Kumuls Head Coaching job.

mikail-eagle

Bench

Kumuls to get new coach​

THE Papua New Guinea Kumuls will head into this year’s Rugby League World Cup with a new mentor following confirmation by Michael Marum that he will not re-apply for the role of head coach.
Confirming the end of his eight-year reign, Marum told The National yesterday that he was considering contesting a seat in his native East New Britain (ENB) in the upcoming general election.
He said he announced his decision during the PNG Rugby Football League annual general meeting (AGM) in Lae over the weekend.
“There had been a lot questions asked about whether I would re-apply for the role,” he said of the job, which had been first advertised earlier this month.
“But I have made my decision not to re-apply.
“I waited for the AGM because I wanted to announce it in front of all our affiliates and I’m glad I did that.
“To clear the air about talks of me contesting the general election, my people in ENB are getting behind the idea. They want me to contest and I’m considering it.
“At this stage, I can’t confirm whether I’ll do so.
“Whether it’s the ENB regional or an open seat, I can’t say, but there is an option for me there.”
But Marum said the bigger factor behind his decision was his family.
“I’ve sacrificed my family commitments to be a coach, it’s not easy,” he said.
“Family is big part of my decision and I am just happy to finally go home and be close to them.
“I’ve been away over the last eight years due to rugby league commitments. It’s now good to go back and be with my family.”

jim_57

Staff member
Will be interesting to see who the applicants will be for the position.
Wouldn't mind any of the current NRL Coaches or anyone else who has NRL Coaching experience.

It would be good to see an NRL coach involved whether it’s as coach or in an assistant/advisor role. Bennett you’d imagine will be too busy with getting the Dolphins off the ground but someone like Holbrook or Payten would be good.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Stanley Gene had his change during the 2010 4 Nations tournament and the results weren't so good.
If the PNGRFL want someone from PNG to coach to take over then it will probably Michael Marums assistant Stanley Tepend.

The former Lae Tigers coach has a very impressive record in the Digicel Cup and is currently assistant Coach of the Hunters.

But I have a feeling the PNGRFL are looking to Australia for a new Coach.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Has Adrian Lam buried the hatchet with PNGRL yet?

Yes no issues anymore. Was all sorted around the 2017 World Cup time when his son was about to make his Kumuls debut. He could definitely put his hand up for it but he is probably better paid as Mal Meninga's assistant with the Kangaroos.

Latest posts