What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG NRL Bid Team

nadera78

Juniors
I'm still not sure I see this thing actually coming off, but they seem to be stepping up their bid. And they have some interesting, and experienced, people involved.

taken from www.postcourier.com.pg

NRL bid on track
RUGBY LEAGUE
By LESLIE OMARO

AUSTRALIAN rugby league icon and all-conquering Queensland Maroons coach Mal Meninga is confident of PNG’s bid to see a team in the NRL.
But he said for PNG’s NRL dream to come true it needed the community, family, fans, corporate and government support to make it a reality. He also emphasised that violence would not be condoned and that discipline would be very important.
“I’m privileged and honoured to work with the other board members to secure the NRL bid licence. Violence will not be tolerated because we will not condone it and discipline will be very important in having a team in the NRL,” said Meninga, who is a member of the five-member PNG NRL bid team.
Bid team chairman and Minister assisting the Prime Minister Philemon Embel was also confident about the Papua New Guinea National Rugby League (NRL) bid to enter a team in the Australian NRL competition.
Other members of the bid team are NCD Governor Powes Parkop, chairman of Gold Coast Titans NRL team Paul Broughton, former PNGRFL president and businessman Ben Sabumei and chairman of the Kramer Engineering Group Frank Kramer, who all expressed confidence that the bid would achieve its goal.
Despite the recent violence damaging the image of the code, the bid team believes everything is on track.
“Our board here will make it happen and the people of PNG want to make it happen also because they want to live a life of rugby league,” said Embel during a press conference at the Holiday Inn in Port Moresby yesterday.
PNG’s dream of entering Australia’s national rugby league competition became a reality following Prime Minister Sir Michael Somare allocating K500,000 to start the bidding process in February. The National Executive Council endorsed the establishment of a “Bid Team” to put PNG in a position to enter a team in the NRL
And yesterday the PNG NRL bid team gave a positive update on the bidding process at their first press conference, saying a lot of work has already been done with the main target to secure a NRL licence.
Minister Embel said the committee will register two entities, PNG Rugby League Foundation Limited and PNG Rugby League NRL Bid Limited.
Embel said the foundation will be a non-profit organisation directed to develop league and sports in general while the other entity will be a proposed franchise company.
Embel said it will cost between K150 million to K400 million to build a state of the art stadium at the proposed site at Sir Hubert Murray Stadium.
Embel said TV rights would be a major issue but encouraged interested television companies to express their interest as there will be a double tax benefit.
Embel said it would cost the interested TV company K50 million to buy the television rights.
Also a sneak preview of a DVD showing Papua New Guinea’s passion and pride in playing rugby league in the country was shown to members of the media.
Meninga at the end of the DVD session told the media that it was truly emotional and really captures PNG’s passion for rugby league.
“The DVD is really unique and from what I observed some of you had tears forming in your eyes.
“It’s emotional and it goes to show how much this country loves their rugby league,” said Meninga.
The DVD starts off with an introduction of “800 tribes-1 heart” and begins with a small village boy getting himself painted in PNG’s famous tri colours red, black and gold.
It goes on to show a group of little children playing rugby league in the village and then a picture of Kumul and Gold Coast Titans winger David Mead standing at the Skills Park Stadium. Mead appears in several of the scenes, most notably one of him giving his view on the bid and a village boy dreaming of one day playing in the NRL like him. The DVD also features Embel and Meninga talking about the bid and encouraging the PNG community, corporate sector and government to give their support and make the PNG NRL bid successful.
“This bid is serious, it’s here to achieve the goals we have set and the game will belong to the communities, families and fans and we believe there’s passion out there,” said Paul Broughton.
PNGNRL bid general manager Bev Broughton added that a great deal work has been done so far but a lot more work was yet to be done to get the NRL licence.
“Women also have an important place to play in the PNG rugby league and the NRL bid.
“They are at the fore front in administration and I know these dedicated people will lay down the frame work,” said Bev Broughton.
Embel stressed again that the NRL bid was serious and was not another government project or agenda. “This (bid) is done on corporate philosophy, the NRL competition is a multi-million-dollar business and there are very strict criteria and deadlines we must meet.
“If Paul (Broughton) and Mal (Meninga) have accepted to help us in our bid this is no kidding stuff, we are serious about our bid to enter the NRL competition,” said Embel.
Governor Parkop added that Papua New Guineans can’t hide the fact that rugby league has become part of their temporary culture. “It’s a good tool for social and economic benefit because it motivates young people and develops them to be good citizens,” he said.

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Hmmm. Lets get things in perspective. How can a PNG benefit the NRL as opposed to a Perth, 2nd NZ, Central Coast or a 4th Qld side? Serious question.

The biggest things they have going for them is passion, potientially greater TV rights from broadcasters in PNG, juniors, mass amounts of juniors.

But the only thing they dont have going for them is the social problems in PNG. Of course a stadium, but their Governement appears to be willing to build one.

Id like them in, but I havent been convinced that they are of greater importance then Perth, NZ, the CC and Qld.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Sure, but what about in 20 years time.

What will the NRL look like in 20 years? I'd like 24 teams in with 6 teams in 4 conferences (22/24 games) or 8 teams in 3 conferences.

brendothejet

First Grade
the 16 weve got, PNG, Perth, CC, 2nd Brisbane, 2nd NZ, Adelaide.

22 Teams, coast to coast, 3 countries, shortened season allowing for state/international rep weeks.

Perfect.

roopy

Referee
It isn't about RL.
It is about the dozen ways that sport can improve a country.

The only question to be answered is if the money is guarenteed - and if the PNG and Australian governments sign up to say it is - it's only a matter of when it can happen.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
the 16 weve got, PNG, Perth, CC, 2nd Brisbane, 2nd NZ, Adelaide.

22 Teams, coast to coast, 3 countries, shortened season allowing for state/international rep weeks.

Perfect.

Exactly, potential to grow, no teams getting the arse, all markets covered.

Growing the game.

Potential in future years to have teams in Central Qld, Pacific Islands, 3rd NZ team, Sunshine Coast.

bazza

Referee
I like that they have set up a bid team and also a seperate non-profit foundation to improve RL in the country.

I don't think that a NRL team in PNG is viable for the next 5 - 10 years, but I think that the bid can do a lot to improve RL and PNG

As part of their bid they should:

1. Get a modern stadium built. Even if they don't play in the NRL it will be used for plenty of other things e.g tests, grand finals, other sports
2. Get more top level games there. If they can get regular tests with big crowds and TV coverage then people can get an idea of what the country is like and they can get used to hosting big events. If nothing else it will get more $$ into the game there

roopy

Referee
I like that they have set up a bid team and also a seperate non-profit foundation to improve RL in the country.

I don't think that a NRL team in PNG is viable for the next 5 - 10 years, but I think that the bid can do a lot to improve RL and PNG

1. Get a modern stadium built. Even if they don't play in the NRL it will be used for plenty of other things e.g tests, grand finals, other sports
2. Get more top level games there. If they can get regular tests with big crowds and TV coverage then people can get an idea of what the country is like and they can get used to hosting big events. If nothing else it will get more $$ into the game there
It's not a situation where we can take all they offer and give nothing back.
If I were the PNG government i'd spend the money ONLY if the result were in the bag - and if RL won't do the right thing by PNG, i'd spend all the money on soccer and forget RL ever existed.
Bottom line, we can't demand they jump through hoops on the off chance we will reward them, because they are the guys who want to spend a lazy 50 million on our sport.

hutch

First Grade
If I were the PNG government i'd spend the money ONLY if the result were in the bag - and if RL won't do the right thing by PNG, i'd spend all the money on soccer and forget RL ever existed.
Bottom line, we can't demand they jump through hoops on the off chance we will reward them, because they are the guys who want to spend a lazy 50 million on our sport.

i think the government have to show the nrl that they are serious about this by building a modern stadium regardless. it would be a national icon anyway, and will get used reguarly. i see what you mean though, you dont really want them wasting money on something that may not happen when there are many other things that money needs to be spent on in the country. i cant see it happening, but gee i wish it would. the positive thing about our sport is that we have places we actually can expand to. western australia, south australia, wellington, christchurch, central coast, sunshine coast, west brisbane, png, pacific islands, northern territory even.

obsulete

Juniors

What exactly are we taking from them? Their preparing a bid and the NRL are prepared to listen.

I agree with hutch, I'd build the stadium anyway. Give access to top class facilities to the best players in various age groups and run a RL elite school there while also putting hand up to host Pacific Cups more regularly than the other nations. If they get the squirts with it all they can still play soccer if they like.

I think now PNG has taken the step of arranging their own test series with Fiji that they gain momentum will continue to move forward.

roopy

Referee
What exactly are we taking from them? Their preparing a bid and the NRL are prepared to listen.

I agree with hutch, I'd build the stadium anyway. Give access to top class facilities to the best players in various age groups and run a RL elite school there while also putting hand up to host Pacific Cups more regularly than the other nations. If they get the squirts with it all they can still play soccer if they like.

I think now PNG has taken the step of arranging their own test series with Fiji that they gain momentum will continue to move forward.
The PNG and Aus governments are making this happen.
The only role the NRL has is to either do the obvious thing for the good of everyone, or to take careful aim and shoot ourselves in the foot.

PNG is a small and poor country with no money to spend on white elephant stadiums. If this isn't a done deal that will deliver all sorts of benefits, they could and should spend the money on health and education.

Last edited:

obsulete

Juniors
The PNG and Aus governments are making this happen.
The only role the NRL has is to either do the obvious thing for the good of everyone, or to take careful aim and shoot ourselves in the foot.

PNG is a small and poor country with no money to spend on white elephant stadiums. If this isn't a done deal that will deliver all sorts of benefits, they could and should spend the money on health and education.

I agree that the money would be well spent on health and education, and as with all major operations in countries such as PNG - isn't community health and education a matter that those in charge of the projects have to address? (just putting to use some of the theory I learnt in International Trade and Multinational Finance) So surely these things could be addressed by whomever was going to operate the stadium, if it's not going to be the govt.

And I look at the stadium as an investment rather than a white elephant. Worst case scenario, after all this work, is a team in the QCup and I'd imagine that would draw healthy crowds and sponsorship to ensure a financial return.

Plus the timing is great, did that liquified natural gas project go ahead? If so the government will be about to receive a major financial boost so the cost of the stadium won't even be felt.

Acka

Coach

In the long term it would be great to have a NRL team in PNG. But first up I believe they will need to enter a team in the QLD or NSW cup competition like the Port Morseby Vipers did in the early days of the QLD Cup.

bazza

Referee
And I look at the stadium as an investment rather than a white elephant. Worst case scenario, after all this work, is a team in the QCup and I'd imagine that would draw healthy crowds and sponsorship to ensure a financial return.

Yep. The stadium would be used for many things other than a home for a potential NRL teams.
Local finals, test matches and for other sports like soccer and union, and for any other big events/festivals

roopy

Referee
Yep. The stadium would be used for many things other than a home for a potential NRL teams.
Local finals, test matches and for other sports like soccer and union, and for any other big events/festivals
The equivalent of the Australian government building the facilities for the 2000 olympics before we got the rights.

jim_57

Staff member
The equivalent of the Australian government building the facilities for the 2000 olympics before we got the rights.

Not really, PNG could really do with a modern stadium regardless of the NRL bid.

What size do people think the stadium should be?

I'm thinking 30,000?

roopy

Referee
Not really, PNG could really do with a modern stadium regardless of the NRL bid.

What size do people think the stadium should be?

I'm thinking 30,000?
They could use an Opera house too, but they can't afford one.

georgistan

Juniors
I think we have to think of things in stages - 'baby steps'. The first thing is to try and get some NRL games for premiership points in Port Moresby - Perhaps one of the Queensland teams and Melbourne Storm could play a game every year at the PRL ground in Boroko.

More people have access to Boroko than Town - where the new stadium is supposed to go.

This stadium not much worse than Olympic Park in Melbourne but perhaps could do with a minor upgrade (about K5-10 million). This would be more prudent than spending K100 million on a white elephant.

Having proper NRL games in Moresby will then create a groundswell of support for a true PNG NRL team and we can see how vialble it is, rather than just jumping in the deep end.

Once NRL in PNG is proven to be viable, then we can start looking at new stadiums or a major upgrade of PRL.

Anyway, Just my thoughts.

roopy

Referee
Newcastle pissed around for 30 years - then someone grew a set of balls and jumped in the deep end.
That is what PNG will do probably - as the old saying goes - when all is said and done, there will be a lot more said than done.

Super Owl

Juniors
stadium.html

http://www.michie.net/pnginfo/stadium.html

This is the stadium in Waigani (the area where all the government buildings are). It was built for the 1991 South pacific games. Maybe that could be upgraded and enclosed. It would certainly be cheaper than doing anything with lloyd robson oval in Boroko.

however, the place in town they are talking up (Sir hubert murray stadium) would be better for attracting overseas players, as I assume if they had houses there they'd live in town, or at least stay at the travelodge when flying in??

Latest posts