What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG U23 Vs NSW Country U23

mikail-eagle

Bench
Not sure if there has been much publicity about this game outside of PNG but it is being played tomorrow here in Port Moresby.

The NSW Country boys arrived here yesterday led by Coach Josh Cale with support from former Bulldogs Andrew Ryan and Josh Perry.

The PNG U23's are all mostly from the local Digicel Cup. Most of these players will be trying to push their way into the Hunters squad for next season.

Will try to post squad lists later tonight.

Or if anyone can help post links from the PNG press for it. Can't seem to be able to do it from my phone.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/nsw-expect-tough-clash/

NSW expect tough clash

NEW South Wales Country U23s arrived yesterday with coach Josh Cale saying his men were expecting a “physical and tough” match against PNG U23 on Sunday.
Cale, who has former Australian Kangaroos and NSW Blues forward Andrew Ryan as his assistant, brought an 18-man squad along with former top NRL referee Shayne Hayne.
The NSW Country side take on Stanley Tepend’s PNG Residents U23s in an inaugural match at the Oil Search National Football Stadium.
“We know that the PNG side will be very physical and tough and they will be very willing,” Cale said.
“We know we are up for a battle nevertheless, we’re really looking forward to the match.
“We have watched their highlights from the local Digicel Cup matches and we know exactly how tough they will be on Sunday,” Cale added.
“Its going to be a tough game but regardless it’s an honour for my guys because it’s going to be a great experience for them playing against a PNG side.”
Cale said one of his players Zachary Masters had already experienced the NRL and he was expecting him to take the lead against PNG on the weekend.
“We have great support staff in the likes of Andrew Ryan and Adam Perry and they will help in team building and confidence.”
Cale said it was his first time in the country and added that the weather would be a factor.
“Our main goal here is to build the confidence so that we can show to the NRL and feeder clubs in Australia that the NSW Country side have players capable to playing in all types of conditions.”
Cale said he wanted to see matches like the U23s organised in the future for talent from both country’s to benefit.
NSW Country U23 captain Ryley Thomas said the first thing the team had to come to terms with was the weather which was hot and humid but that would not be used as an excuse and his side would adjust to the conditions over the coming days heading into Sunday’s game.
“I don’t know too much about the opposition (PNG) but all I know is, the match on Sunday will be a tough one but I’m pretty excited to get some experience out here,” Thomas said.
“It’s my first time here in PNG and it will be great to experience the culture and the climate over the next few days before the game,” Thomas said.
Thomas said the team had started training on Monday in Brisbane and would get in a couple more sessions before game day. Fixtures: Sun, Oct 14 – 12pm Southern Confederation v Australian Defence Force (women), 1pm Southern Confed v ADF (men), 3pm PNG U23s v NSW Country U23s.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/nami-lauds-concept/

Nami lauds concept

PAPUA New Guinea Residents Under-23s assistance coach Glen Nami commended the PNG Rugby Football League for creating a pathway for the local Digicel Cup players to be exposed to representative football.
Speaking at a press conference this week, Nami said representative fixtures like the PNG Residents U23s against the New South Wales Country U23s would help build the confidence in local players.
“I hope this is the start of more games to come and we are looking forward Sunday’s game,” Nami said.
“This concept will be successful because it will basically involve the local players who are registered in the Digicel Cup clubs as well National Confederation players.”
Nami thanked PNGRFL chairman Sandis Tsaka and his committee for giving head coach Stanley Tepend and himself the opportunity to coach the national U23s.
“You know, every rugby league team that comes from Australia is always going to be good so we are ready of this match and that’s the way we’re approaching it,” he said.
“We started camp last Thursday and our preparations have been good.
“The boys have come together and there’s excitement becuase this the first time there has been a residents team.”
Nami, a former Kumul and Digicel Cup player, said he was excited to see how the Digicel Cup players would fare in representative match.
“We have some great playmakers in Nicky Hasu, Mark Tony and Edwin Ipape so I can’t wait to see how they’ll lead this side.
Nami said they would start Hasu off the bench and use Tony and Ipape with the intial focus on defence before looking to open up the game.
“We know our boys can score but the main area that we want to get right is on defence,” Nami added.
Nami added that if Kumuls coach Michael Marum was looking for players to draft into his wider squad for the upcoming two-match series against the England Knights then he did not have to look futher than the PNG U23s.
“The boys coming through this system have gone through all the protocols and processes of the PNG NRLC and the PNGRFL and are more than ready to perform.”
“Some players are straight from Digicel Cup but players likes Eddie Dafa and Muka Peter Kulu were once part of the Hunters squad so yeah, there is a possibility that they could be included in the Kumuls squad but it all depends on the coach and the selectors,” Nami said.
PNG Resident U23s: 1. Jah Hogan, 2. Eliakim Lukara, 3. Brandon Nima, 4. Stanford Talita, 5. Norman Brown, 6. Edwin Ipape (vc), 7. Mark Tony, 8. Kingston Paul, 9. Woods Kawage, 10. Joejoe Wallames, 11. Emmanual Waine, 12. Eddie Dafa (c), 13. Missach Welen; Interchange: 14. Nick Hasu, 15. Muka Peter Kalu, 16. Casey Dickson, 17. Levai Andrew, 18. Kennedy Ben. Coach: Stanley Tepend.