What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG...........

carlnz

Bench
Plans advance for Australia-PNG rugby league link
Monday December 08, 2003

In rugby league, plans are being drawn up for a Papua New Guinea (PNG) select side to take on Australian National Rugby League teams the Melbourne Storm and the Brisbane Broncos, as early as next year.

The plan calls on the games to be played on an annual basis.

According to Melbourne Storm CEO John Ribot, the games could also provide opportunities for young PNG players to pursue professional careers in Australia.

"I think it's not only going to be good from a rugby league point of view, but for the people of PNG. Their life-style skills would be improved, they could come down and be exposed to our game and our country at the highest levels."

carlnz

Bench
This is like a dream!!! If this happens, you wait and see how much PNG will improve!

Hopefully other clubs will follow what Melbourne and Brisbane are going to do :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And i thought the NRL clubs couldnt give to sh*ts about International footy #-o #-o ...well done :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Observer

Staff member
The John Ribot-Marcus Bai and Wayne Bennett-Bob Bennett connections continue to bear fruit. Fantastic to see.

yakstorm

First Grade
Excellent news. Surprised that article went around with no one really noticing it till now.

DIEHARD

----
That'd be fantastic if it comes to fruition. IN PNG RL is their national sport, they are a stones throw away from Australia but we still grossly neglect them. :|

The Observer

Staff member
Carl, I posted an article here about Ribot calling for closer links, but it was before Dec 8.

The next step I'd like to see is an annual Southern Hemisphere regional tournament involving:
* a PNG team (whether it is Select, the Presidents XIII or the Kumuls)
* the Junior Kangaroos
* New Zealand A

Matches would be played on a home and away basis. If we were able to host the Trans Tasman games of the Tri Series here in the Southern Hemisphere, then these SH regional tournament games could be held as curtain raisers.

carlnz

Bench
Also found this today on the british league website.

Saints to unveil Samoans

Monday, January 5, 2004

ST HELENS will announce the signings of two Samoan rugby union stars at a press conference tomorrow, and Saints boss Ian Millward has revealed he beat off rival bids from English, European and Antipodean rugby union clubs to snare the World Cup stars.

Twenty-one-year-old winger Sailosi Tagicakibau, who scored two tries in four World Cup appearances and has played in New Zealand’s provincial union competition, is thought to be one of the arrivals, while the other a forward, could be the veteran NSW Waratahs flanker Des Tuaivi’i, who was a late call-up for the tournament after the withdrawal of former Saints star Fereti Tuilagi.

Millward told ‘Rugby Leaguer & League Express’ at the weekend that he had spent three months chasing the Samoan pair, who he would identify only as a back and a forward with minimal League experience, while the in-demand duo considered a host of offers to stay in union.

deluded pom?

Coach
It was two completely different players that Saints revealed at the press conference .Don`t ask me to spell their names . :?

carlnz

Bench
Hopefully those two Samons will play for Samoa Rugby Legaue team aswell that is if the gay Super League clubs let them go for games!!!!

....I wonder if Samoa are playing any Internationals this year? :roll:

Latest posts