What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Can you put a rough $$$ estimate on it?
To be honest with you I think there're too many variables to be able to put an accurate estimate on the monetary value of initial interest in the Digicel Cup's broadcasting value in Australia.

However, whatever it would end up being would be a significant source of revenue for the PNGRL, and I'd be willing to bet that it'd grow with supportive broadcast partners, support from the NRL, and government subsidises.

It's not just broadcast standards we could help them with either. Investing in infrastructure, education programs, development officers and skills clinics, assisting them with marketing and merchandising, creating and funding annual combines, etc, etc, all small achievable goals that could have huge impacts, especially collectively and given time.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Albanese bro

power of the govt

shame raiders have a pro afl govt down there
Neither Albo nor the Australian government has the power to fix PNG's societal issues I'm afraid.

I guarantee that sooner or later it'll end in tears if PNG is given an NRL side any time soon. They're not ready for it, the NRL isn't ready for it, and the government support will dry up long before it's self-sufficient, and will likely never be enough to begin with.

Wb1234

Referee
Neither Albo nor the Australian government has the power to fix PNG's societal issues I'm afraid.

I guarantee that sooner or later it'll end in tears if PNG is given an NRL side any time soon. They're not ready for it, the NRL isn't ready for it, and the government support will dry up long before it's self-sufficient, and will likely never be enough to begin with.
Lucky you aren’t the pm of Australia

jim_57

Staff member
To be honest with you I think there're too many variables to be able to put an accurate estimate on the monetary value of initial interest in the Digicel Cup's broadcasting value in Australia.

However, whatever it would end up being would be a significant source of revenue for the PNGRL, and I'd be willing to bet that it'd grow with supportive broadcast partners, support from the NRL, and government subsidises.

It's not just broadcast standards we could help them with either. Investing in infrastructure, education programs, development officers and skills clinics, assisting them with marketing and merchandising, creating and funding annual combines, etc, etc, all small achievable goals that could have huge impacts, especially collectively and given time.

Having Digicel Cup on a level with QLD & NSW Cups one day would be great to see, Ideally with an ‘NZ Cup’ as well and some kind of playoff involving all 4 comps. Obviously a long term goal.

Brian potter

Bench
NRL clubs seriously need to take a look at the hunters winger solo wane and rookie fullback moera moera.

The untapped talent in PNG is huge.