What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You’d be happy if the bloke you’ve made capt and given a $10mill deal to is in the press saying they’d be happy to join a different club lol

MugaB

Coach
You’d be happy if the bloke you’ve made capt and given a $10mill deal to is in the press saying they’d be happy to join a different club lol
Im happy, taulmololo made tonga the force it is today, albiet international, but if he is keen others will follow, there are some great players out there but most are often gunshy to jump into a new club or representative squad, due to the unknown, and safety of the established teams that generally have a track record, Aus/GBR/NZ over tonga/samoa etc
Look at dom young, perfect example of a guy who could represent Jamaica and play alongside his brother, chooses england instead...
Same thing happens in clubland too.. its why the dolphins struggled for the marquee signing

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Anyone got the actual quotes from the article, or are we all prepared to go off half cocked based on a two word 'quote'?

As an aside it's interesting that the Broncos resident journalist doesn't single out any Broncos players of PI descent. Just pure coincidence, I guess.

Vee

First Grade
Anyone got the actual quotes from the article, or are we all prepared to go off half cocked based on a two word 'quote'?

As an aside it's interesting that the Broncos resident journalist doesn't single out any Broncos players of PI descent. Just pure coincidence, I guess.
“Bloody oath I would be keen,” Papalii told News Corp. “In saying that I’ll be 34-35 years old so they probably wouldn’t need me.

“But it would be massive for the Pasifika nations.”

Taumalolo’s monster 10-year contract with the Cowboys does not expire until 2027. He will be 34 when his current deal ends. Taumalolo’s manager Chris Orr, who brokered the Cowboys’ co-captain’s historic 10-year contract in 2017, confirmed the Tongan torpedo’s interest in helping a Pasifika NRL team.

“I think a Pasifika team will generate plenty of interest,” said PSM director Orr.

“Players like Jase, who switched his representative allegiance to Tonga to build the game in the Pacific region, could very well be someone to put their hand up again as he is extremely passionate about developing the game.

“The Polynesian community is extremely important to the game of rugby league and any game development within the region should be supported.”

The Great Dane

First Grade
Won’t join warriors, will join some hybrid team representing 12 nations lol
It wouldn't be 'some hybrid team representing 12 nations', it'd be an intentionally exclusionary club based on racial grounds.

It's backwards, divisive, incredibly hypocritical considering that the same people calling for it would be appalled if it were proposed under different circumstances, and it's a shame that we've gone so far backwards on this stuff in such a short time.

Wb1234

Referee
It wouldn't be 'some hybrid team representing 12 nations', it'd be an intentionally exclusionary club based on racial grounds.

It's backwards, divisive, incredibly hypocritical considering that the same people calling for it would be appalled if it were proposed under different circumstances, and it's a shame that we've gone so far backwards on this stuff in such a short time.
Do you same the same about the super rugby side

Pneuma

First Grade
I love the way some here are writing off a PNG team without knowing any details of how it is proposed to function. People with agendas huh?

docbrown

Coach
I love the way some here are writing off a PNG team without knowing any details of how it is proposed to function. People with agendas huh?
I’m not writing it off entirely. I just have my doubts and like all bids it has its pros and cons. Unlike others, part of my opinion is formed by actually having lived and done community work there.

Pneuma

First Grade
I’m not writing it off entirely. I just have my doubts and like all bids it has its pros and cons. Unlike others, part of my opinion is formed by actually having lived and done community work there.
Wasn’t referring to you Doc. You’ve covered most if not all of the risk. I can’t imagine the government funding this team without some social purpose. I’d expect the NRL would be used as a vehicle for those programs. If it’s just a football team you’re 100% correct. It has to be a lot more than that.

Latest posts