What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Wb1234

Referee
So RL is a relatively minor sport in PNG and the Pacific.
There are more than 200,000 AFL players in that area.
Hahhaha

this is what the nitwits on this forum don’t realise is a png nrl team can do things for the nrl that afl can never match

whilst they’ve added duds like the lions giants suns and tasmania we’ve added dolphins and soon png backed by Brisbane tigers or north Sydney bears and a lot of federal govt cash

png is going to put the nrl an another level

Jamberoo

Juniors
I once went on a business trip to New York with a Victorian. When we were booking into the hotel he asked the clerk if there were any local AFL games on and which station was broadcasting the Australian games.

This was a highly educated man. Obviously when you cross the Victorian border you enter some sort of bubble
Well there is an AFL team in New York to be fair. Actually there is around the same number of AFL and RL teams in USA - around 40. What does that tell us? Only that there are similar number of Aussies from NSW/Qlders in the US as there are those from the AFL states.
I.e. there is very little interest in either code from Americans. The Vegas thing is about gambling sponsorship and nothing more.
What this ahas to do with a team in PNG I am not sure. A team in a corrupt third world country? Why not? What could go wrong.

Wb1234

Referee
Well there is an AFL team in New York to be fair. Actually there is around the same number of AFL and RL teams in USA - around 40. What does that tell us? Only that there are similar number of Aussies from NSW/Qlders in the US as there are those from the AFL states.
I.e. there is very little interest in either code from Americans. The Vegas thing is about gambling sponsorship and nothing more.
What this ahas to do with a team in PNG I am not sure. A team in a corrupt third world country? Why not? What could go wrong.
Afl failure to expand out of Australia shouldn’t be projected onto rugby league

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anyone able to cut and paste?

Unlikely PNG alliance could secure NRL’s next expansion bid​

Just one month after launching their official bid to join the NRL, the Brisbane Tigers could consider forming an alliance with Papua New Guinea to secure the competition’s 18th license.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not really sure how a Tigers/PNG/Pasifika link up can work? Would Tigers really be happy owning a club that has nothing to do with Brisbane?

MugaB

Coach
Anyone able to cut and paste?

Unlikely PNG alliance could secure NRL’s next expansion bid​

Just one month after launching their official bid to join the NRL, the Brisbane Tigers could consider forming an alliance with Papua New Guinea to secure the competition’s 18th license.

I wouldn't bother , its just Shane Richardson, putting forward a case for the easts bid to be relevant...
This exact shitshow happened when the dolphins were getting good press, he started fearmongering with his AFL are taken over qld under your nose schpeel... then he mentioned joining forces with the jets and bombers.... now its all about being the friendly neighbouring brisbane side taking on PNG as a destination for easts to play at... its really see through... you see it when the bears do it, anytime shane richo mentions expansion, its the same shit, all they want is the press and the license... f**k um

PVL already said the license for the Pasifika team will stay with PNG... not sure why they are bothering to align themselves to it... the bears are little bit different as they just want the colors and mascot reborn, but still want to own the license too, easts tigers cant even do that

MugaB

Coach
Basically these guys in firehawk town, are the reason expansion will halt or stall for decades, if these slimey know it alls get thier hands on a license, we can all kiss anymore expansion goodbye, they be the basketcase that everyone thinks is an automatic winner and look worse than the seagulls of gold coast and crushers put together... again i urge anyone who values expansion to watch their expansion roll out video, where the press had legitimate questions, and these guys fumbled their way into obnoxiousville, "trust us we know what we are doing" "we have all the latest tech, you know the stuff that the lakers use"
Hahahahaha, abdo would have done the biggest stage left in their bid presentation

Perth Red

Post Whore
Basically these guys in firehawk town, are the reason expansion will halt or stall for decades, if these slimey know it alls get thier hands on a license, we can all kiss anymore expansion goodbye, they be the basketcase that everyone thinks is an automatic winner and look worse than the seagulls of gold coast and crushers put together... again i urge anyone who values expansion to watch their expansion roll out video, where the press had legitimate questions, and these guys fumbled their way into obnoxiousville, "trust us we know what we are doing" "we have all the latest tech, you know the stuff that the lakers use"
Hahahahaha, abdo would have done the biggest stage left in their bid presentation
but but but assets!

Keeping it on thread I dont see them as a base for PNg/Pasifika unless only half the clubs games are going to be in PNG, which kind of defeats the object.

MugaB

Coach
but but but assets!

Keeping it on thread I dont see them as a base for PNg/Pasifika unless only half the clubs games are going to be in PNG, which kind of defeats the object.
One more then ill steer back to thread topic, Did you watch that press junket they streamed?

Perth Red

Post Whore
One more then ill steer back to thread topic, Did you watch that press junket they streamed?
Yeh, was shoddy. I think I knew what they were trying to sell in regards to social media and digital asset building but was ill thought out and poorly delivered, given the audience. Should have just talked about players to come out of the area and how much money their pokies make, RL fans would understand that.

MugaB

Coach
Yeh, was shoddy. I think I knew what they were trying to sell in regards to social media and digital asset building but was ill thought out and poorly delivered, given the audience. Should have just talked about players to come out of the area and how much money their pokies make, RL fans would understand that.
Most importantly QLD Journos understand that!!
The frustration of these guys losing it in front of journos

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not really sure how a Tigers/PNG/Pasifika link up can work? Would Tigers really be happy owning a club that has nothing to do with Brisbane?
My guess is that they want their finger in the pie so they can take complete control of the team when the inevitable happens and the funding for a PNG side dries up. In other words, they're trying to backdoor themselves into the NRL.

Pneuma

First Grade
Maybe Easts Firehawks and North Sydney Bears could make a joint bid and become the North East FireBears? Yes I am joking.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My guess is that they want their finger in the pie so they can take complete control of the team when the inevitable happens and the funding for a PNG side dries up. In other words, they're trying to backdoor themselves into the NRL.
That would make sense. End up with a token 2 games in Port Moresby and 10 at Suncorp. No doubt use the PNG colours for branding.

Wb1234

Referee
Flights to png from Brisbane are faster than cairns

Brisbane tigers are rich so even if govt cuts off money it won’t matter

no more than four games at Suncorp

their 50 million in assets is a huge win for the nrl

a powerhouse

so @Pippen94 was right team 18 will be brisbane too

tv companies will love the brisbane connection too

The Great Dane

First Grade
That would make sense. End up with a token 2 games in Port Moresby and 10 at Suncorp. No doubt use the PNG colours for branding.
I doubt they'd play any games in Port Moresby once the government stops paying for them... Why would you, they'd just be an expensive exercise in futility, and their whole goal is to end up back in Brisbane anyway.

East's plan will almost certainly fail at the first hurdle anyway. They'll almost certainly get greedy and let the mask slip too early.

Wb1234

Referee
I doubt they'd play any games in Port Moresby once the government stops paying for them... Why would you, they'd just be an expensive exercise in futility, and their whole goal is to end up back in Brisbane anyway.

East's plan will almost certainly fail at the first hurdle anyway. They'll almost certainly get greedy and let the mask slip too early.
You made the exact same post about the bears moving it back to Sydney

cut n paste ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Flights to png from Brisbane are faster than cairns

Brisbane tigers are rich so even if govt cuts off money it won’t matter

no more than four games at Suncorp

their 50 million in assets is a huge win for the nrl

a powerhouse

so @Pippen94 was right team 18 will be brisbane too

tv companies will love the brisbane connection too
Not direct ones.
1hr 20mins cairns-port moresby
3hrs 15mins Brisbane - port moresby

Easts owning a PNG club makes as much sense as NS owning a perth club lol.
Only in Rugba league

Latest posts