What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poll: When will the NRL make a definite announcement on team 18?

When will NRL call for bids or pick a preferred team 18?

• First half of 2023

• Second half of 2023

• First half of 2024

• Second half of 2024

• Later (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

flippikat

Bench
Since we gave the Dolphins coming in as team 17 - and going to 18 is the next logical step, let's guess when the NRL will make a definite statement on team 18.

I'm guessing the next step will either be a formal "call for bids" like they did with Brisbane 2 OR picking an 18th team and announcing that preference.

So.. when will either of those happen.. and which scenario (do YOU think) is most likely?

This thread isn't so much about the bids, but how we think the NRL will take it's next step. (Open competition/bidding war.. or just picking a winner from the get-go?)

MugaB

Coach
Since we gave the Dolphins coming in as team 17 - and going to 18 is the next logical step, let's guess when the NRL will make a definite statement on team 18.

I'm guessing the next step will either be a formal "call for bids" like they did with Brisbane 2 OR picking an 18th team and announcing that preference.

So.. when will either of those happen.. and which scenario (do YOU think) is most likely?

This thread isn't so much about the bids, but how we think the NRL will take it's next step. (Open competition/bidding war.. or just picking a winner from the get-go?)
Early, especially since tge byes aren't going to be around for too long, plus need to get the bears a good lead time since theyll need to be in perth

Colk

First Grade
I’d doubt it would be 23 to be fair. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was 24 or 25. The issue determining it would be what they are looking at team 18 for. Are they desperate for the cash in light of what has happened? Are they more interested in a particular area? Will there be massive resistance from the RLPA etc?

Wb1234

Referee
Just after origin next year

Peter vlandys will announce Perth as team 18

it would only leave them 18 months for a 2025 entry which is too short however

they are talking to tv now about team 18 and who they prefer and when they should come in. For tv sooner is better as it’s another game for them each week

Colk

First Grade
Just after origin next year

Peter vlandys will announce Perth as team 18

it would only leave them 18 months for a 2025 entry which is too short however

they are talking to tv now about team 18 and who they prefer and when they should come in. For tv sooner is better as it’s another game for them each week

Might be a chance although they have stated that they want to see how the Dolphins first. That’s only a short viewing.

I hope whoever they choose they give them more than 18 months

Perth Red

Post Whore
Before this recent news on the club and player cash grab I’d have said sooner, now I’m not so sure the nrl will have the cash to do it until the new tv deal in 2028, At the earliest.

flippikat

Bench
I'm picking the first half of 2024, because I have a feeling that they'll want to get a year of the 17 team competition under their belt, plus assess some pros & cons of options discreetly.. and get stakeholders like broadcasters, players union etc "on board".

I also think that they'll pick the winner without the kind of public bid process/beauty contest that Brisbane 2 had.. and instead have talks under the radar to get the "lay of the land" then choose.

Wb1234

Referee
I'm picking the first half of 2024, because I have a feeling that they'll want to get a year of the 17 team competition under their belt, plus assess some pros & cons of options discreetly.. and get stakeholders like broadcasters, players union etc "on board".

I also think that they'll pick the winner without the kind of public bid process/beauty contest that Brisbane 2 had.. and instead have talks under the radar to get the "lay of the land" then choose.
Imo all those talks are happening now

there’s been chatter by vlandys about adding more content for the tv deal and the wa govt is calling for bids

the only real question is to Perth get their own team or the bears reborn. I don’t think the bears are nailed on now

Wb1234

Referee
Might be a chance although they have stated that they want to see how the Dolphins first. That’s only a short viewing.

I hope whoever they choose they give them more than 18 months

long enough to see if they get over 15k crowds and aren’t bottom two or getting smashed each week

anything better should be a green light

flippikat

Bench
Imo all those talks are happening now

there’s been chatter by vlandys about adding more content for the tv deal and the wa govt is calling for bids

the only real question is to Perth get their own team or the bears reborn. I don’t think the bears are nailed on now
Yeah, I think you're right.

it feels like there's something going on behind the scenes.. and we maybe get the odd noise then something pops in in the media- but the NRL is trying to keep it pretty low-key.

As far as anything going public is concerned, I wouldn't expect a definitive announcement until after Origin next year at the earliest... but after the season sounds a better approach.

Give the Dolphins their limelight of a debut season without being overshadowed by a team 18 announcement.. but announcing Perth at the end of 2023, for a debut in (say) 2026 sounds like the go.

Iamback

Coach

I think they give The Dolphins 12 months, Assess how they went then start the process

flippikat

Bench
I think they give The Dolphins 12 months, Assess how they went then start the process
For sure, but they'd be smart to do some groundwork "behind the scenes" over the course of 2023 - to make sure that whatever the call is (after next season), that the preferred bid is in-shape for a debut reasonably soon.

Iamback

Coach
For sure, but they'd be smart to do some groundwork "behind the scenes" over the course of 2023 - to make sure that whatever the call is (after next season), that the preferred bid is in-shape for a debut reasonably soon.

Given it is 99% going to be a developing market, Extra time will be needed to get pathways in place. I can't imagine it will help with elite player signings but can build up 2nd tier pathways and may get some talented kids wanting to move. So I would be opening tenders from end of 2023, Making a decision mid 2024 with a plan to start 2026 with hopefully a new TV deal in place

Wb1234

Referee
Given it is 99% going to be a developing market, Extra time will be needed to get pathways in place. I can't imagine it will help with elite player signings but can build up 2nd tier pathways and may get some talented kids wanting to move. So I would be opening tenders from end of 2023, Making a decision mid 2024 with a plan to start 2026 with hopefully a new TV deal in place
Nah we all know it’s Perth

I will be absolutely shocked if nz get it now

all those whispers are coming from the arlc

Nuke

Staff member
I'd suggest giving The Dolphins a couple of seasons to assess how that additional team fares in all the important tickbox categories. If the 18th team is going to be in a 'developing' area, the NRL will need to be confident of immediate success in order to capture the most of that area's excitement and interest. They'd be wanting something closer to a Melbourne Storm start as possible.

Personally, I can't see it being anything other than a Perth team. New timeslot, rich state government backing, growing local league with pathways programmes already in place, and more than enough League supporters here to get behind them.

I know there are things going on quietly in the background in regards to the Pirates team / bid. The owners of the brand (not NRLWA, as I had always believed) have been working on 'something' for a while (maybe 9 months, maybe a year, maybe more ... I'm not sure). Perhaps a re-brand, or perhaps just an updated logo, or perhaps gearing up towards inclusion in the NRL. I'm not entirely sure (I promise! I'm not just being vague on purpose!), but 'something' is happening.

Again, personally, I'd simplify the logo a bit, change the colours to just red-oldgold-black (with the emphasis on old gold and black, red being a minor colour), and that'd be about it.

Iamback

Coach
Nah we all know it’s Perth

I will be absolutely shocked if nz get it now

all those whispers are coming from the arlc

They will give to whoever can stand on their own feet, ARLC seem to like to leave clubs to their own devices.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They will give to whoever can stand on their own feet, ARLC seem to like to leave clubs to their own devices.
How can you say that when they are about to give clubs $300Mill a year? Probably more pertinent is will they make the same mistakes as Redcliffe or will they actually think about this and plan it strategically, leaving the ridiculous equality approach at the door?