What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polyneysians In the Junior Ranks

White Australian kids are now starting to experience what us white kiwi boys have for the last 30 odd years. I went through the same thing when I was a kid, only difference is I was at a school which was 85% polynesian. So I was used to it from the age of 5, and I was a very small kid.

My solution would be for the lil white aussie boys to harden the f*ck up.
As Eelementary said it's character building. If you can't handle opponents of all sizes, Rugby League is not for you. We don't want to be breeding soft-c*cks for the next generation.

He knows several kids (on the samller side) that have left the game, gone to AFL

Yep know atleast 3 people @ work who have pulled their kids from league cause they were sick of seeing their kids being bashed senseless by islanders that are literally twice the weight and a good foot taller...... Scary thing is even @ 12 its all muscle mostly.

Johns Magic

Referee
As Eelementary said it's character building. If you can't handle opponents of all sizes, Rugby League is not for you. We don't want to be breeding soft-c*cks for the next generation.

Calling 12 year-olds softcocks. Aren't you a hero.

Grumpy Old Man

Juniors
White Australian kids are now starting to experience what us white kiwi boys have for the last 30 odd years. I went through the same thing when I was a kid, only difference is I was at a school which was 85% polynesian. So I was used to it from the age of 5, and I was a very small kid.

There's a huge difference between being soft and being psychically injured.
Are lightweight boxers soft because they don't fight heavyweights ?

They will always have to tackle big guys, it's just the way the game is. If they can't handle it, then they shouldn't play it until they can.

Boxing is a solo sport. Apples & oranges mate.

mono_mal

Juniors
Weight divisions should definately be introduced where viable, such as in Parra and Penrith. These competitions would effectively be lower division competitions that would attract players that have traditionally struggled to compete with the islanders due to size.
Whilst these players may struggle against the islanders this allows them the opportunity to develop their game without being fearful of being hurt. After developing a solid skill set they may then feel capable of challenging themselves in the open weight competition.
Fact is players are being lost and with AFL putting a lot of money and effort into developing there game in Western Sydney we cannot afford to alienate rugby league people.
Keeping the top division(s) as open weight is also necessary as otherwise we potentially lower the quality of footballers produced. There will always be size differences, even in the NRL, and a good player will be able to counter this and use their skills to their advantage, regardless of size.

Timbo

Staff member
When I played at school (which was admittedly Union) I was a hooker and whenever we came across a side whose pack had a number of polynesians in it, our scrums used to get monstered. They were just 3-4 age groups higher than us.

I think weight divisions need to come in for this sort of thing. It is, if nothing else, a safety issue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Come play in WA, we can;t seem to get enough big kids here!

Watched a under 12's game as a warm up to the Sth's game last year at MES and there was a skinny little Nth Beach kid who was an amazing tackler. He was chopping down kids much bigger than him all game and not surprisingly they soon stopped running his way! He was a miniature Steve menzies with scrum cap and everything!

Tricky one but Rl has always been a tough game at all ages and unless there is any EVIDENCE that jnr numbers are reducing then can't see much will change.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Keep one division for each age group, just set a upper weight threshold for each age. If the player exceeds that that limit they go up one age group. If he exceeded the next weight threshold he is forced to move up 1 more. Moves up the age groups limited to 2 yrs difference.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
its not always about size - some polynesians play the game more physical.

You think it is a problem in australia LOL. Wait til you come to New Zealand. there are other ethnic groups that play league here also.

Part of the problem are selectors/junior rep coaches are being negative simply picking the biggest blokes even though they have a bad attitude over looking much talented players.
Has been happening with the warriors recently - warriors u20s should be the best team in the comp IMO. Auckland junior comps are pretty strong and up to 18 teams in some grades and thats just auckland.

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah I've heard this discussed by the sports radio shows numerous times. For the sake of rugby league something should be done within weight restrictions otherwise talented smaller young players are going to be pulled out of the game. I think there's also been reference to kids in the country lying about their age and playing in younger divisions too.

innsaneink

Referee
Theres also the other side of the coin....the big fast kids that really cruise through half a dozen grades because of the size advantage, and then they get halfway thru high school and all the other kids catch up to them in size pace & strength, and all of a sudden its a bit tougher out there...plenty of them give it away too.
I wonder what Bobby dig calls these kids?

marlow

Juniors
well, while high level competitions can be won in the junior ranks without the biggest kids, it takes some coaching and is much easier with bigger kids.
Look at the arrive alive cp this year. Keebras side- enormous. The solution in that comp would be to lengthen the games to 70 minutes so guys have to cut a bit of weight to keep up with the game
On the topic of the arrive alive cup, hows this. Rather than give qld another semis spot, why not give it to new zealands best school. Travel wouldnt be much of an issue as it is only 2 games max and its not that much more expensive that a flight from say towsnville. Opens up chances for kids to play league rather than yawnion

j0nesy

Bench

So if you can't handle opponents of all sizes at 12, then you should give up? bullsh*t. The point is that they mature later in life. f**k I was still scared of the bogey man at 12. It's about keeping them in the sport when they are 50kg 12 year olds so that we can develop them to their potential.

sting

Bench
too many problems.

look at the situation the islander kids are put in. putting a 9 year old with 12-13 yos isn't fair on them mentally and socially. sure they're big enough but it would hurt their development both as a footy player and as a person

Grumpy Old Man

Juniors
It would be enormously hard to put together but what about x amount of heavier and lighter players designated to each team. I know it sounds ridiculous but say each team had a similar balance then they could get in there and work as one unit, not to dissimilar to the NRL.
I'm aware this suggestion has heaps of flaws in it, but at least it's a start.

Latest posts