What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga says no to Kiwis but yes to All Blacks

Money talks.

Bit delusional that ABs are greatest sporting organisation in the world.
Best union for sure and league international has nothing to compare.

Dav0c

Juniors
Money talks.

Not much money in NZ rugby.

They are definitely up there with the best. Who would you rate above them?

Diesel

Referee
That’s origin for you, plenty eligible for both countries will take the cash and fame of origin while they represent Australia over the Kiwis

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
This generation of players has little or no allegiance to any flag or nation - it's wherever the best opportunities (read $) come from.

Blair

Coach
This generation of players has little or no allegiance to any flag or nation - it's wherever the best opportunities (read $) come from.

At least live one day in NZ before they can play for us.

I think about my genuinely great childhood in Awapuni, which also included having to, occasionally, bop your way home from the local shops.

It's about paying your dues, isn't it?

Matua

Bench
At least live one day in NZ before they can play for us.

I think about my genuinely great childhood in Awapuni, which also included having to, occasionally, bop your way home from the local shops.

It's about paying your dues, isn't it?
Ponga lived in Palmy, that suffering alone should allow him eligibility. I reckon a guy like Ponga would have played for the Kiwis if he could still play for Qld.

Brad Thorn did the same thing as well - Oz in league and NZ in rugby.

Money talks.

He'd make more money staying in league or going to France for rugby than coming to NZ for rugby.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I agree with both of the above, but there is still something special about that All Blacks jersey.
Apparently, having 'All Black' on your resume, automatically boosts your pay as a pro rugby player. Its like THE phd of rugby.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
He'd make more money staying in league or going to France for rugby than coming to NZ for rugby.
This is true. Like Meth said - theres just something special about playing for the All Blacks. All the current All Blacks can walk into another club and get WAY more bucks, but they dont...

Well most don't, but those that leave for bigger cash, make sure they get some games in for the ABs just so they can have it on their resume.

When you google 'the greatest sports team of all time' this is the first thing that pops up. Click the link below...
https://www.thetoptens.com/best-sports-teams/
Reading that article.
What is Australia's league team percentage? Must be higher than ABs.

Union seems to hit that sweet spot of not being as popular as Soccer but more countries in the world play it than league and having about 4 teams who could win a world cup

AB where choker for a long time and have only won 1 tournament outside of home.

NZ doesn't offer to many other choices for their top athletes, Aussie has AFL and NRL with Union currently a poor cousin, like League in NZ.

sup42

Juniors
The Dream team with Dominique Wilkins Charles Barkley oh and Michael Jordan would be the greatest sports team ever assembled imo, and the most well known athletes globally.

Some of the Brazillian football sides are hard to go past.

Had a chuckle Hearing Hansen say he likes watching League and that his son plays.

I don' know anything about Union I'm 100 % League inbred.

Might watch a test since the coaches son plays League that gives him some cool points in my book.

The Last Union game I bothered to watch was a world cup final in South Africa cause my mate was normal...followed the All Blacks.

They lost and didn't seem to be able to put Lomu in space like the Kangaroos would have...so lost interest after that.

I do hear that the game has completely changed since then and the All Blacks play more like a League side with attacking footy..actual running players.

Matua

Bench
The Dream team with Dominique Wilkins Charles Barkley oh and Michael Jordan would be the greatest sports team ever assembled imo, and the most well known athletes globally.

Some of the Brazillian football sides are hard to go past.

Had a chuckle Hearing Hansen say he likes watching League and that his son plays.

I don' know anything about Union I'm 100 % League inbred.

Might watch a test since the coaches son plays League that gives him some cool points in my book.

The Last Union game I bothered to watch was a world cup final in South Africa cause my mate was normal...followed the All Blacks.

They lost and didn't seem to be able to put Lomu in space like the Kangaroos would have...so lost interest after that.

I do hear that the game has completely changed since then and the All Blacks play more like a League side with attacking footy..actual running players.
TBH, don't bother watching, you're clearly one of the dying breed on both sides of the divide who can't get over the us/them and as such you'll just be wasting your time so you may as well spend it watching the NRL.

Re: The 1995 WC, the Kangaroos wouldn't have a hope of getting Lomu into space in a rugby match, you don't understand the intricacies of the game if you think the Kangaroos could have done what that AB team couldn't.

sup42

Juniors
TBH, don't bother watching, you're clearly one of the dying breed on both sides of the divide who can't get over the us/them and as such you'll just be wasting your time so you may as well spend it watching the NRL.

Re: The 1995 WC, the Kangaroos wouldn't have a hope of getting Lomu into space in a rugby match, you don't understand the intricacies of the game if you think the Kangaroos could have done what that AB team couldn't.
Yep I don't understand Union. Never played it.

But if you think a Kangaroo back line couldn't use a stand off and Center to run space for an overlap you should give up watching League,

That game we are discussing the Allblacks ran Lomu at James Small one on one in the hope he would run over the top of him,

Late ball when all else hadnt worked.

Im sure the game is very different now. But that was some shit use of a monster speedster on their wing. Even in my ignorance i could see that weapon they had should have had moves set up to give him the ball on the front foot.

Just out of interest did they ever try kicking to the six foot four Wingers wing ??? yeah thought not.

shiznit

Coach

But if you think a Kangaroo back line couldn't use a stand off and Center to run space for an overlap you should give up watching League,

That game we are discussing the Allblacks ran Lomu at James Small one on one in the hope he would run over the top of him,

Im sure the game is very different now. But that was some shit use of a monster speedster on their wing. Even in my ignorance i could see that weapon they had should have had moves set up to give him the ball on the front foot.

Just out of interest did they ever try kicking to the six foot four Wingers wing ??? yeah thought not.
Tactics... James Small was marking him but he was instructed to stand on Lomu’s outside and force him back in towards the defenders.

They had forwards defending close towards the edge to help Small out also.

The Kangaroos play with 13 players on the field... If the 95 WC Final was 13 a side I’m pretty confident the All Blacks would have been able to use Lomu more effectively.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Reading that article.
What is Australia's league team percentage? Must be higher than ABs.

Union seems to hit that sweet spot of not being as popular as Soccer but more countries in the world play it than league and having about 4 teams who could win a world cup

AB where choker for a long time and have only won 1 tournament outside of home.

NZ doesn't offer to many other choices for their top athletes, Aussie has AFL and NRL with Union currently a poor cousin, like League in NZ.
Just going back on something you mentioned earlier - you said before that money talks and you're not wrong. Whilst a some of these All Blacks get less than some NRL players, they still get paid a fair amount and of course they get to live in New Zealand, the greatest country in the world.

Last I checked, theres more registered soccer players in NZ than there is rugby players would you believe.

Yep we choked in all the world cups we lost but the three years in between those world cups, we won like 90% plus of our games. In other words, whoever was the crowned "world champs" at the RWC, would go on to lose to us for 3 years until the next world cup.

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade

Put it this way - Jonah Lomu, wouldve KILLED it in Rugby League. I love league but NZs best play Union NOT league. Like Ive said before - if NZ only played league, the NRLs top 8 teams would all be NZ teams, I strongly believe that.

Heres a quiz for ya...Which union team does the Melbourne Storm model themselves under?

Latest posts