What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor Ben Hunt

shiloh dc

Juniors
With the current under-resourced set up of the club - it wont matter who is coach - the team will underperform. We need to attract good players and not pay overs. If Hunt stays for 750k-800K per year and he/hook can bring in at least 2 very good players then that's probably the best we can hope for.
I would like to see Hunt run more. He recently said his favourite film is Forrest Gump. Well run Hunt run!
BTW - a complete Indian remake of Forrest Gump called Laal Singh Chadda released yesterday - if you're not Indian (moi) and have never seen an Indian film - it's an exceptionally good film.

Gomarchin

Juniors
if it ends up going the way Benny wants it to, it will be a disgrace by the club, no-one should hold the club to ransom because of their playing status, and need I remind Benny that he can win the Daily M from 9 just as easily.
Ben has been with the club for 5 years and in that time we've mad the 8 once (2018).

He's focus should not be on whether Hook is the coach but on how we get back playing regular finals.

This will never happen with Hook as coach nor by sticking to this stupid "moneyball" recruitment strategy of rejects and 30+ year old has beens.

TruSaint

Referee
Brilliant strategy by Hooks and his mates.

" If you think the state of your Club is shite, wait until i announce that your best player may leave if i'm not head coach ".

I don't know who i feel more sorry for. Hook, Ben or the fans.

It's as if we are challenging for a title and this would derail a premiership. Pathetic.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hunt is a symptom of a far greater problem which has been, lets say exploited, due to injuries and lack of faith.
The fact Hunt WAS leading the Dally M is no reason to rush into re-signing him, yes, he's had a good year, but 1in 4 or 5 shouldn't be the deremining factor here. I believe Hunt and his manager would be absolutely singing that fact (how good am I playing now!) to the max.
It's human nature also to rely heavily on the 'who you know', when the chips are down, rather than try to 'make something happen' approach.

BLM01

First Grade
Hunt is a symptom of a far greater problem which has been, lets say exploited, due to injuries and lack of faith.
The fact Hunt WAS leading the Dally M is no reason to rush into re-signing him, yes, he's had a good year, but 1in 4 or 5 shouldn't be the deremining factor here. I believe Hunt and his manager would be absolutely singing that fact (how good am I playing now!) to the max.
It's human nature also to rely heavily on the 'who you know', when the chips are down, rather than try to 'make something happen' approach.
No the far greater problem you mention are players having a stellar year? when contract negotiations loom or they look like they need to find a contract.
Happens across the board

FlameThrower

Bench
I’m on two minds about this. While he has been playing well this year and most of last year, there were also a few years of pretty average performance. His time with Widdop was the best and it’s a shame that Widdop had those injuries then jumped ship. He will be 33 next year, do we risk another 2 years or let him go. Problem is there is nobody to replace him. We don’t have a quality production line of players ready to step in, like the Panthers or Storm. Nor a bottomless pit if cash like the Roosters. In summary, we are stuffed.

TruSaint

Referee
I’m on two minds about this. While he has been playing well this year and most of last year, there were also a few years of pretty average performance. His time with Widdop was the best and it’s a shame that Widdop had those injuries then jumped ship. He will be 33 next year, do we risk another 2 years or let him go. Problem is there is nobody to replace him. We don’t have a quality production line of players ready to step in, like the Panthers or Storm. Nor a bottomless pit if cash like the Roosters. In summary, we are stuffed.

This is where the club needs to be harsh but fair.
He was given a lucrative 5 year deal. I don't begrudge him that.

At his age, the only viable option is a short term contract with no guarantee he will play 7.
Lets see what he does.

Souths let Reynolds go, and he was a Matraville junior who spent 10 seasons at their club.
He's 32.

Granted Reynolds has done well at the Broncos, but Souths appear to be in good shape.

denis preston

First Grade
I just dont want to lose it all. Hunt on a mill a year for 2 more years but doesn't perform , we still struggle for a co pendent hooker and we lose Sullivan. That's my worst case scenario as opposed to playing hard ball with Hunt ( which they dont appear to be doing ) in 2 more years at less than 700k with majority of games at 9 , we keep Sullivan then all good.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

Why Hunt’s extension has a silver lining for the young gun stuck behind him​

Ben Hunt and Talatau Amone have both urged Dragons tyro Jayden Sullivan to stay at the Red V despite a mooted two-year extension for Hunt potentially blocking his path.

Hunt’s career-best form has him considered favourite for this year’s Dally M Medal, despite the Dragons’ finals hopes being all but over.

St George Illawarra are set to ramp up negotiations on a new deal with Hunt, who is signed for next year, that would tie him up beyond his 35th birthday and until the end of 2025.

As reported by the Herald last week, Sullivan’s management will request a release if Hunt is locked in to the No.7 jumper for three more years, given the 20-year-old’s potential and growing interest from rival clubs, despite Sullivan being signed until 2025 as well.

Sullivan and Amone are represented by the same agent, with that stance being conveyed to Dragons officials during negotiations for Amone’s 2024 extension, which was confirmed on Thursday.
Barring injury, Hunt is tracking to play his 300th NRL game early next year.
When quizzed on Sullivan, Amone and the Dragons’ three-into-two scrumbase call, Hunt pointed to his first 80-odd games serving as a bench utility and back-up half in Brisbane as the making of his career.
“I’m not saying Jayden’s like me, but you look at my career, I didn’t get to play halfback until I was 24 and playing regular first grade there,” Hunt said.
Ben Hunt after the Dragons’ Anzac Day victory over the Roosters. The halfback has been in career-best form in 2022.

Ben Hunt after the Dragons’ Anzac Day victory over the Roosters. The halfback has been in career-best form in 2022.Credit:NRL Photos
Advertisement

“Personally, I’d like Jayden to stay at the club. I think he definitely offers a lot. If he can toil away and play a bit of hooker or play some different positions, you never know what can open up for you. You’ve just got to be a sponge and learn as much as you can.
“That early part of my career set me up and has given me opportunities to play State of Origin at hooker. We had some good halves [at Brisbane] in Peter Wallace and Darren Lockyer so, in the long run, I was pretty blessed to have them there to learn off, I think.
“They were the same, they really encouraged me to talk. But it wasn’t until I was probably 23 or 24 and had played a fair few games of footy that I moved into the halves and got pretty vocal.”
Hunt has little interest in shifting to hooker down the line – “I’m trying to extend my career, not shorten it up, so I don’t want to be getting in the middle too much” – and said great mate Andrew McCullough has not mentioned retirement at the end of 2022 as has been quietly suggested by some at the club.
Talatau Amone has enjoyed a breakout 2022 season.

Talatau Amone has enjoyed a breakout 2022 season.Credit:Getty Images

Amone, meanwhile, has grown into the No.6 role alongside Hunt this season, having long been touted for big things alongside juniors teammates Sullivan and Tyrell Sloan.
His re-signing came following interest and personal calls from Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett that “gave me shivers”, before Amone’s strong family ties in the Illawarra helped keep him in red and white.
The 20-year-old hopes Sullivan does the same ahead of a must-win clash with Canberra on Sunday.

“We talk about [playing together at the Dragons] all the time,” Amone said. “Not just since we started playing together at NRL level but before this, we’d be talking about coming through together and taking that chance to do something special for the club.​

“Whatever he does, that’s up to Jayden and his family. I don’t look into that, but I know when we’re training he’s enjoying his time here and we’re learning a lot.
“If he stays I’d be so happy for him because there is a chance to do something special. But if he chooses to go then that’s up to him and wherever he is he’ll go great.”

SBD82

Coach

Ben Hunt and Talatau Amone have both urged Dragons tyro Jayden Sullivan to stay at the Red V despite a mooted two-year extension for Hunt potentially blocking his path.

Hunt’s career-best form has him considered favourite for this year’s Dally M Medal, despite the Dragons’ finals hopes being all but over.

St George Illawarra are set to ramp up negotiations on a new deal with Hunt, who is signed for next year, that would tie him up beyond his 35th birthday and until the end of 2025.

As reported by the Herald last week, Sullivan’s management will request a release if Hunt is locked in to the No.7 jumper for three more years, given the 20-year-old’s potential and growing interest from rival clubs, despite Sullivan being signed until 2025 as well.

Sullivan and Amone are represented by the same agent, with that stance being conveyed to Dragons officials during negotiations for Amone’s 2024 extension, which was confirmed on Thursday.
When quizzed on Sullivan, Amone and the Dragons’ three-into-two scrumbase call, Hunt pointed to his first 80-odd games serving as a bench utility and back-up half in Brisbane as the making of his career.
“I’m not saying Jayden’s like me, but you look at my career, I didn’t get to play halfback until I was 24 and playing regular first grade there,” Hunt said.
Ben Hunt after the Dragons’ Anzac Day victory over the Roosters. The halfback has been in career-best form in 2022.

Ben Hunt after the Dragons’ Anzac Day victory over the Roosters. The halfback has been in career-best form in 2022.Credit:NRL Photos
Advertisement

“Personally, I’d like Jayden to stay at the club. I think he definitely offers a lot. If he can toil away and play a bit of hooker or play some different positions, you never know what can open up for you. You’ve just got to be a sponge and learn as much as you can.
“That early part of my career set me up and has given me opportunities to play State of Origin at hooker. We had some good halves [at Brisbane] in Peter Wallace and Darren Lockyer so, in the long run, I was pretty blessed to have them there to learn off, I think.
“They were the same, they really encouraged me to talk. But it wasn’t until I was probably 23 or 24 and had played a fair few games of footy that I moved into the halves and got pretty vocal.”
Hunt has little interest in shifting to hooker down the line – “I’m trying to extend my career, not shorten it up, so I don’t want to be getting in the middle too much” – and said great mate Andrew McCullough has not mentioned retirement at the end of 2022 as has been quietly suggested by some at the club.

Amone, meanwhile, has grown into the No.6 role alongside Hunt this season, having long been touted for big things alongside juniors teammates Sullivan and Tyrell Sloan.
His re-signing came following interest and personal calls from Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett that “gave me shivers”, before Amone’s strong family ties in the Illawarra helped keep him in red and white.
The 20-year-old hopes Sullivan does the same ahead of a must-win clash with Canberra on Sunday.

“We talk about [playing together at the Dragons] all the time,” Amone said. “Not just since we started playing together at NRL level but before this, we’d be talking about coming through together and taking that chance to do something special for the club.​

“Whatever he does, that’s up to Jayden and his family. I don’t look into that, but I know when we’re training he’s enjoying his time here and we’re learning a lot.
“If he stays I’d be so happy for him because there is a chance to do something special. But if he chooses to go then that’s up to him and wherever he is he’ll go great.”

Jesus Christ. Get rid of him now.

TruSaint

Referee

Advertisement

Thanks for the link.

Seems to me Hunt is set on halfback and the rest is appealing to the fan base.

Poor effort.

justadragon

Bench
surely the club will not entertain this, if the club allows hunt to dictate terms then we cant complain when sullivan asks for a release, and sure enough it will happen.

saintmar

Juniors
If the Dally M's also gave minus points for every bad game you played Hunt would not be in contention for nothing

Latest posts