What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Port trial against Newcastle

Black Majik

Juniors
Knights name strong squad for Penrith trial at Port Macquarie

BRETT KEEBLE
08 Feb, 2012 11:56 AM
STAR recruit Darius Boyd and former Knights Danny Buderus, Timana Tahu and Kade Snowden headline a 27-man Newcastle squad for the pre-season trial against Penrith at Port Macquarie on Saturday night.

Coach Wayne Bennett’s first Knights squad includes fringe first-graders Chris Adams, Marvin Filipo, Tonga Likiliki, Alex McKinnon, Kevin Naiqama, Kyle O’Donnell, Tyrone Roberts, Korbin Sims and Zane Tetevano, who all played in the club’s 32-0 victory over the Newcastle Rugby League rep squad in a NSW Cup trial at Tomaree last Friday.

The full squad is: Chris Adams, Darius Boyd, Danny Buderus, Neville Costigan, Adam Cuthbertson, Joel Edwards, Richie Fa’aoso, Marvin Filipo, Kurt Gidley (c), Matt Hilder, Chris Houston, Tonga Likiliki, Alex McKinnon, James McManus, Jarrod Mullen, Wes Naiqama, Kevin Naiqama, Kyle O’Donnell, Tyrone Roberts, Junior Sa’u, Korbin Sims, Kade Snowden, Timana Tahu, Zeb Taia, Zane Tetevano, Evarn Tuimavave, Aku Uate.

goosie

Juniors
hope the panthers smash them!! knights look more like an allstars team.
how bad would it look if the panthers upset them ;)

Panther_Brendo

Juniors
Panthers squad:

Luke Lewis
Ryan Simpkins
Lachlan Coote
Michael Gordon
Bradley Tighe
Michael Jennings
Sandor Earl
David Simmons
Geoff Daniela
Travis Burns
Luke Walsh
Blake Austin
Timothy Grant
Sam McKendry
Chris Armit
Dayne Weston
Nathan Smith
Clint Newton
Daniel Galea
Kevin Kingston
Nafe Seluini
Etu Uaisele
Cameron Ciraldo
Sarafu Fatiaki
Josh Mansour
Matthew Robinson

No. of players: 26.

from: http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/d...g-up-for-second-trial-match-in-port-macquarie

More information about the trip:

The Penrith Panthers are training hard in Port Macquarie, as they prepare to do battle against the Newcastle Knights in a trial match at Port Stadium on Saturday night.

Fans are welcome to come along and watch an open training session at Port Stadium, this Friday February 10th at 9:45am. The boys will be mixing with the locals and the media at Port Panthers afterwards, from 11:30am-12:30pm, so be sure to come down and say hello.

The Panthers will also be making an appearance at Settlement City Shopping Centre on Saturday February 11th at 9:15am, at the front entrance near the food court. Be sure to bring along your camera and your autograph book!

franklin2323

Immortal
good looking squad all the names i expected.

I didn't expect Lewis or Jennings to play. I guess they might go up & not play. The other year Smith & a few others just trained & did the PR stuff but didn't play the same might happen here. Providing I get through my work early & can leave at lunchtime Friday. I will be at the game.

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
1 Michael Gordon
2 David Simmons
3 Michael Jennings
4 Geoff Daniela
5 Sandor Earl
6 Travis Burns
7 Luke Walsh
8 Sam McKendry
9 Kevin Kingston
10 Tim Grant
11 Clint Newton
12 Cameron Ciraldo
13 Nathan Smith
14 Nafe Seluini
15 Blake Austin
16 Junior Tiakilifi
17 Ryan Simpkins
24 Chris Armit
19 Matt Robinson
20 Dayne Weston
22 Lachlan Coote
21 Josh Mansour
23 Sarafu Fatiaki
18 Etu Uaisele

www.penrithpanthers.com.au

abpanther

Staff member
Is that an indication of what our backline could look like come week 1?

Gordon>Coote

goosie

Juniors
just coote is still struggling with injury i believe. so gordon more than likely play at fullback.

murraymob

Coach
lewis and tighe not named hopefully both are right for the heels game.Would have been good for harry to get a run hopefully not out to long with injury

Kilkenny

Coach
I am not going to stress over the trials against the knights and eels.

Trial form is meaningless. No injuries that is essential.

franklin2323

Immortal
Is that an indication of what our backline could look like come week 1?

Gordon>Coote

Nah next week should be virtually our Round 1 team. Either way Coote should play over Simmons. He can roam around he is too good for Windsor even with his limited pre-season

billy2

Juniors
Clint Newton enjoying being a Panther
10 Feb, 2012 04:00 AM

attachment.php

Happy Panther: Clint Newton (middle) with Penrith teammates Lachlan Coote and Luke Walsh relaxing at Port Macquarie on Wednesday before their trial game against the Newcastle Knights tomorrow.

ONE of Newcastle’s favourite sons has returned to Australia and will face his old team in the NRL trial at Regional Sports Stadium tomorrow night.

Clint Newton played 100 games for the Knights between 2000 and 2007, but is set to debut for his new club, Penrith Panthers, in the NRL trial game.

And he wasn’t at all nervous about the task during the week.

“It wouldn’t really matter who we were playing, but there is that slight difference in that my best friend Kurt Gidley and Danny Bederus are playing against me,” Newton said.

“It’s obviously a bit different playing against your mates, but at the same time there is still that competitive edge and all my energy is focused on doing what I can for Penrith.

“I had a lot of good times at the Knights and I’ve still got a lot of passion for Newcastle because they were my

childhood team. But at the end of the day my job and my loyalties lie with Penrith.”

Newton was forced out of his junior club in 2007 by then coach Brian Smith, but he was adamant that he had nothing to prove tomorrow night.

“Everything has changed at the Knights now, including the backroom staff and I have no ill-feeling towards them because the club has given me so many great

memories and they were the first club to give me my shot,” he said.

The 30-year-old, who is returning from a four-year stint with Hull in the English Super League, was confident that his best form was ahead of him as he tries to impress coach Ivan Cleary.

“England was a tremendous experience for me. I think it hardened me up a bit. I still speak to some players who have just retired or are still playing well into their thirties and eight out of ten of them say they play their best footy after the age of 28,” he said.

“The training has been what I needed. I certainly didn’t want to have a soft off-season before coming back into the NRL and I feel fresh and fit.

“I had to work on my fitness and Ronny Palmer has got me in a position where I’m confident going into this first trial.”

So why choose the Panthers?

Newcastle, Hull and Penrith all seem like totally different places.

But not according to the back-rower.

“To their core they’re not really that different because they’re all working class communities that thrive on their sport and they live and breathe that sporting mentality,” he said.

“The people work hard all week, and then they turn up and support their local side on the weekends.

“That was one of the main reasons I came back to a place like Penrith - I didn’t want to be a city slicker and it’s been very positive out west.

“Now that I’ve come back to the NRL I want to be a part of the culture that wakes this sleeping giant up at Penrith.”

From: http://www.portnews.com.au/news/loca...px?storypage=0

billy2

Juniors
“To their core they’re not really that different because they’re all working class communities that thrive on their sport and they live and breathe that sporting mentality,” he said.

“The people work hard all week, and then they turn up and support their local side on the weekends.

“That was one of the main reasons I came back to a place like Penrith - I didn’t want to be a city slicker and it’s been very positive out west.
Clint was born in a millionaire community in Florida, his father is worth 10s of millions conservatively, he went to the best private schools and is personal friends with Jamie Packer and Lachlan Murdoch. He's never worked a day in his life unless you call playing sport work.
He isn't a bad guy, but he really shouldn't play the 'working class hero' card.

Big Mick

Referee
Playing football is work.

You couldn't do it. You couldn't put up with the physical beating these guys take.

He appreciates the game & what it means to the people. Whats wrong with that?