What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Positions

snout

First Grade
They changed kids soccer years ago.
No positions. Parents didn't like it.
Pretty sure they didn't even keep score in younger year levels.

It was all about skill development.
They took this idea from other successful nations.
Why?
Because over here a kid moved through the juniors and when they got to seniors they said lm a fullback.
Or lm a striker.
Why?
Because lve always played there.
The kid mightve been a star in the juniors but couldn't cut the mustard in senior level and got dropped to the point where after years of limited success he drifted away.
Yet he may have been a brilliant defender. But in his head he loved the goal scoring position and tried and tried to make that happen.

What makes Jayden brayley think he's a 9?
Because he's always played there?
He's fast. He can pass. He can kick. Why does he want to play in the forwards in the toughest competition in the world?
Because he's always played there?
Is he a 6?

Why does Trindall think he can dominate Adam reynolds? Cherry Evans? Play 7 at this level? Because he's always played 7 through the grades.
He can defend. Very well. Hes no speedster. He has bulk.
Not your usual mold for top line 7 in the NRL.
As Danny buderus.

Is Tracey a winger. Centre. 6. Halfback.

Metcalf?
Talekai?
Moylan?

Is Kennedy a 6?
Could Hynes be our 1 with his size and what he does at Storm? And WK does a Lockyer? He has the hands and the running game.

The parts don't seem to be assembled right. We are a disjointed hotchpotch.

But that's okay because the season was done weeks ago. The bloke in charge has the vision of Ray Charles - but it will be very interesting to see what comes out of preseason training next year when Fitz starts assembling his team.

carinashark

First Grade
Interesting view on Kennedy. He has the skills to play anywhere in the backs I would like to see more of Metcalf as we close out the season , he kicks well in play also a nice long kick and speed in attack, what little that we have seen. Haynes/ Metcalf might be a good combo.

Great observations about the soccer kids development.

It would have been nice to have used this season more to try and work out some of those things rather than trying to win unwinnable games and using players already gone to do so . But that's looking backwards which is no good to anyone but my ego.

Now that we are really gone hopefully that's where the focus will be.. Would be good to start 2022 with a more settled side, position wise.

As for Brayley I think he still could be used at nine but as others have said , needs protection and better defenders around him and maybe not an 80 minute hooker .There's very few around that do provide the all round package of elusiveness and explosiveness out of dummy half, great decision making and passing , tough uncompromising defence for 80 minutes, and durability for a full NRL season . I think the addition to squad of Finucane and McGuiness and hopefully a good aggressive prop or two, could change the way he is used and plays as well.

doesn't take Einstein to work out why the team is now disjointed.
pissed and moaned pissed and moaned.
got your wish and this is the result.
lap it up :)

R-15-3

Juniors
When metcalf came on for the first 5 min he looked like he was playing Center before Tracy shifted to the wing??

azzah72

Bench
I just want to see metcalfe play a full game at this point. Trindall is not going well, I think he would be better suited at hooker tbh.

Tracey tries hard but they don't often go to him, it's always to trindall for a chad kick.

Tracey / Metcalfe and see how that goes.

Trindall can start at hooker and let brails come on when the forwards are tired.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I just want to see metcalfe play a full game at this point. Trindall is not going well, I think he would be better suited at hooker tbh.

Tracey tries hard but they don't often go to him, it's always to trindall for a chad kick.

Tracey / Metcalfe and see how that goes.

Trindall can start at hooker and let brails come on when the forwards are tired.
Bit of a tough ask expecting a 7 game veteran to be running the show with a 3 game offsider (Tracey). Not sure where Tricky will end up position wise but he is a footballer and is defensively quite good. I’d prefer to see a Metcalf/Trindall combination tried tbh.

Craigshark

First Grade
Metcalf looked more dangerous in 5 minutes in the halves then tracey has in weeks. His defence wasn’t too bad, frizell tried to run over him close to the line and he put a pretty good shot on him. He also put up a pretty impressive spiral bomb. If Ronaldo is injured, stick Tracey back on the wing, he looked better there. I’m a Katoa fan, but since he has come back from injury, bar one run late in the game yesterday, he has gone back to his erratic pin ball style running play. He needs to trust Ramien too.

ghoti

Bench
I dunno about that...seems like you're basing that opinion off body type rather than skillset?

Brailey is one of the most natural attacking hookers I've seen, I don't see much of a halfback's game in him... very short, sharp in his passing and kicking games, quick off the mark, but can't see too many hints of him being able to engage the line off the ball, not many chances on his long/high kicking game.. defensively he needs to learn to get his pigs to do the work for him, but really don't see how he's a 7 (you get glimpses of that in the plays where he stands off the ruck and links for the halves and he's... Woods-esque.

Trindall has a long way to go developmentally, but unlike Brails he looks best with room to move, engages well, has a huge boot which has been going unnoticed. It's just balance and decision-making and getting relaxed and comfortable as a half... he's putting a lot of pressure on himself to prove that he's the first choice 7 for next year I think. Hard to tell how he develops, but he's got a couple seasons to go I think... maybe he'll strike up a combination with Hynes? Too early to tell, but just cos he's nuggety and can hit hard doesn't make him a hooker.

Tracey and Metcalf are Jets players at the moment imo.. both need time to find their role and position and learn how to do it, they still look like boys against men.

And as for Kennedy to 5/8? Another out-and-out fullback, he's most dangerous with lots of room to move, so why cramp him in? Also been our best all year in that position and keeps improving his positional play so it feels objectively nuts to make him re-adjust and start again at 6.

Interested to see how Fitz assembles the 17 next year, but it won't be Brailey at 7, Trindall at 9, Kennedy at 6!

snout

First Grade
Braileys not a half.
If anything maybe a 6.
But he isn't effective enough at 9 in this comp.

I'm just throwing around ideas.
Putting stuff out there - because some blokes look like they've played their position for too long and have peaked.
And the peak ain't very high
The same bottom 8 position on the table is telling us something needs to change.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Bit of a tough ask expecting a 7 game veteran to be running the show with a 3 game offsider (Tracey). Not sure where Tricky will end up position wise but he is a footballer and is defensively quite good. I’d prefer to see a Metcalf/Trindall combination tried tbh.
A ridiculous tough ask - writing off Trindall with the team he's playing with, the coach he has and the experience is just idiotic.

Why is it people go full genius when assessing a half with hardly any experience but are more lenient for other positions.

I think our shortcomings in the forwards have been discussed to death, and they are the most significant weakness in the team at the moment. I think Trindall would feel more confident behind a stronger pack and beside a more experienced half partnering him.

The injury to Ronaldo may well see Connor returning to the wing and Metcalfe going into 5/8.

Will gives me confidence with his skills and football smarts, he'd make a show of 5/8 given the opportunity.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I think our shortcomings in the forwards have been discussed to death, and they are the most significant weakness in the team at the moment. I think Trindall would feel more confident behind a stronger pack and beside a more experienced half partnering him.

The injury to Ronaldo may well see Connor returning to the wing and Metcalfe going into 5/8.

Will gives me confidence with his skills and football smarts, he'd make a show of 5/8 given the opportunity.
Agree with all this Tom except I wouldn’t be rushing to make a 5/8 out of WK. I do think that a lot of these young guys will thrive under a coach with the smarts (which I think Fitz is)

trindall ain't steering no top 4 ship.
he's patchy at best.
has a go but can't see him getting any better from what he currently offers.
runs sideways a lot at first receiver.
needs to sort that out because it throws everyone's timing out.

Craigshark

First Grade
he's patchy at best.

was one of Chad’s main issues. Funnily enough the games he would run straight first, he actually looked pretty competent.

Stake Removed

First Grade
he's patchy at best.
It doesn't help we don't have one prop that bends the line

Weaponhead

Coach
he's patchy at best.
Trindall has played 7 games in the halves in his career. Of course he isn't steering a top 4 team around the park yet.

He has had very poor forward performances to work off. He can definitely engage the line much better but surely that can be coached.

At this point in his career, he could reasonably be expected to make his tackles and kick well. He is defending quite well. Kicking game in general play has work to do. Goal kicking at 85%+.

It would have been great to have him play with Moylan at 6 to take creative pressure off. Unfortunately, Moylan can't get on the field.

Get 35 games into Trindall then judge. Writing him off now in this cluster of a team is madness.

shaggs

Coach
he's patchy at best.
He is also 22 years old with 21 first grade games behind a badly dominated forward pack. He was in and out of the team, playing dummy half etc for at least ten of those.

I would be more than happy to see how he goes as the starter and a guy has the backing of the coach. Next season he starts off confident and after training the entire off season as the starter we will see a different guy. Confident and more sure of himself

Latest posts