What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Signings in 2020

With speculation swirling that we will have one or two new players head in our direction this year, I was wondering what the supporters' views are in terms of who we should go for and why. I am reading that we may have met with Adam Doueihi over the weekend. I also see reports that we might be interested in Josh Dugan. The rumours around Josh Addo-Carr have not gone completely, and we have been linked to Bronson Xerri and Josh Morris.

The club did come out and say that they were not going to look at the open market, however, quite reasonably, things have probably changed after Billy Smith's injury and concerns around our depth have emerged (which, I might add, I think is still pretty good).

I have mixed feelings about the above cohort. Xerri and Doueihi are my preferences, provided that we could secure either one of them at the right price. Morris would be okay too.

Last edited:
Yes, Tommy, I think you are right about Xerri being unrealistic. The Sharks, despite being salary cap constrained, will not give him up, as I think they see him as one of their main priorities for the future. Mind you, I have not heard anything more about that five year extension to his contract. I am not sure what is going on there.

With JD, I agree. Our culture does not align with him. Too hard.

I can't see us chasing Dugan. Guy is injury prone and a ball hog - he'd rather pass a kidney stone than the ball. Further with his off field track record I could not see our club going near him. Also he would not want to sign cheap.

Agree with all of that Captain.

Therefore, do you think we will go after Doueihi, or either Xerri or Josh Morris? I think our best and most realistic bet is the latter.

As an interesting side note, I saw someone on another forum bringing up Paul Momirovski at the Tigers. Given Joey's signing, they might have to let someone else go. It was claimed as speculation only, but I thought it was an interesting point, given he used to play with us and he is a centre.

Wanna swap Jmozz for Toopoo?

We can chuck in a half price duges as well

Uhh no. Our club has already responded to the Dugan speculation last week. We do not want the merkin. Also as we need an outside back, why would we trade you a back to get one, it would leave my club still needing an outside back thus solving nothing.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Uhh no. Our club has already responded to the Dugan speculation last week. We do not want the merkin. Also as we need an outside back, why would we trade you a back to get one, it would leave my club still needing an outside back thus solving nothing.

That's why I'm offering you two dummy. You can't just get our best back for nuthin.

Tupou does not equate to JMoz and Dugan unfortunately. The former is very settled and playing quite well for us. JMoz is solid and Duges, quite simply, is now too injury prone, and thus unemployable. Nice try by the Sharks, but we won't be biting. We are not that desperate. We would rather hold out for Xerri, who also seems to want to come to us. Morris would be a good short term solution, with some synergy (i.e. benefits) of playing with his twin brother.

jiorl

Juniors
I'm fine with not getting J-Moz...seems very likely that Xerri will be arriving at the Roosters anyway, and Billy Smith will be back as well! These next two years look good indeed. Hopefully we can keep this premiership winning momentum

I don't think we are 'poaching' anyone. The two players concerned are unhappy at your team and want to move. One just wants to finish his career with his twin brother (and who could begrudge him that) and the other mainly wants to join his best mate (and feels betrayed that your club went and bought Ramien).

It is convenient to say that our club poaches players, but this is often not the case. Perhaps you could have a good look in your own backyard, and see whether it is possible to make the Sharks a relatively more attractive proposition to players in the first place.

I don't think we are 'poaching' anyone. The two players concerned are unhappy at your team and want to move. One just wants to finish his career with his twin brother (and who could begrudge him that) and the other mainly wants to join his best mate (and feels betrayed that your club went and bought Ramien).

It is convenient to say that our club poaches players, but this is often not the case. Perhaps you could have a good look in your own backyard, and see whether it is possible to make the Sharks a relatively more attractive proposition to players in the first place.
Hahahaha utter dribble

jiorl

Juniors

Exactly. If Xerri wants to move here that's not poaching. He probably won't be achieving much at the Sharks anyway

AJB1102

First Grade
The Sharks have about 2.5m tied up in Dugan, Moylan and SJ.

And so they are responsible for their own downfall. And yet we have, "but but the Roosters..."

I agree but trying to nab certain starters from another team a month out from the season is pretty shit. You lot didn't care about keeping the twins together when you signed Brett and Josh was left with Super League or a very modest contract at Cronulla.

Any of you who think Souths are slimey trying to get Arrow a year early from GC are hypocrites if you agree with the Roosters approaches to JMoz.

If a player doesn't want to be there, best to just let go like we did with young Latrell.

Usually I'd agree but JMoz is an utter professional and I don't see him getting the strops and shirking it. He agreed to a deal no one else was offering and if Moylan & Dugan (even just 1 of them) were fit I'd say we grant the release. But he's probably gonna be our fullback, is our most experienced player after fare welling over 750 games experience in 3 players. Why should Cronulla ignore their interests to benefit an already powerful & successful rival?

JMoz going won't help cap problems either. He's an absolute bargain.

jiorl

Juniors
I agree but trying to nab certain starters from another team a month out from the season is pretty shit. You lot didn't care about keeping the twins together when you signed Brett and Josh was left with Super League or a very modest contract at Cronulla.

Any of you who think Souths are slimey trying to get Arrow a year early from GC are hypocrites if you agree with the Roosters approaches to JMoz.

Usually I'd agree but JMoz is an utter professional and I don't see him getting the strops and shirking it. He agreed to a deal no one else was offering and if Moylan & Dugan (even just 1 of them) were fit I'd say we grant the release. But he's probably gonna be our fullback, is our most experienced player after fare welling over 750 games experience in 3 players. Why should Cronulla ignore their interests to benefit an already powerful & successful rival?

JMoz going won't help cap problems either. He's an absolute bargain.
I can definitely see why the Sharks want him. Out of all their recent signings (Moylan, Dugan, Johnson) Morris has far and away been the best, and had an outstanding year. He can assume basically any backline position, and perform with utmost professionalism. If someone had to go it should be Dugan. He was mediocre at the Dragons, and was injury plagued and yet for some reason he was still signed by you lot. Those 3 signings (not Morris) are basically just players who never reached their potential, were injury prone, and are hyped-up duds. I don't care if we get Morris or not but if the Sharks let him go that is another stupid decision on their part.