What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possm's Whiteboard

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I have to say Host seems to have fallen out of the rotation at present and luc i still have reservations about his fitness and attitude.

Coast
Have to agree with luc.
The games I have seen.
He seem to drift in and out.
He will do something great in attack but goes missing when the hard work has to be done.
Expecially in defence.
I think it also a mental thing he's not mentally tough.
Wich as you said may be fitness.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Coast
Have to agree with luc.
The games I have seen.
He seem to drift in and out.
He will do something great in attack but goes missing when the hard work has to be done.
Expecially in defence.
I think it also a mental thing he's not mentally tough.
Wich as you said may be fitness.
I think luc would be best suited to bench player at the moment. Give him short bursts and see if he can make an impact. In the meantime he needs to get fitter

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think luc would be best suited to bench player at the moment. Give him short bursts and see if he can make an impact. In the meantime he needs to get fitter

His fitness is getting better and he's playing long minutes for Illawarra.
Luc, whilst has gresat skills attacking wise, still needs to work on his defense. As an edge 2nd row, he would need to have a defensive impact similar to Friz or Thommo, which he doesn't at present and that's my opinion why he isn't in the 17.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
You may be correct about contracts increasing the same % as the cap increases, or you may not be. I am aware that some players have the cap increase, contract increase by the same % in their contracts, but I am not sure if it is included in all contracts.

I agree. It makes it very hard to speculate how much cap space may be available, even if we make guestimates on player salaries.

possm

Coach
Millward has the numbers however, they are not made public. Neither is the current balance of the salary cap made public, so yes it is impossible to produce the exact figures.

However, many on here are speculating with regards to signings and extensions without any regard to the club's capacity under the cap. So thus the effort to try and reconcile as best possible via Possm's whiteboard.

Saint-Fez

Juniors
You've based your figures on the assumption that the salary cap will rise by approximately $2 million yet completely disgregarded that existing contracts will have clauses that their salaries increase on par with the cap...

These clauses were made illegal after DCE's contract. The NRL will not register a contract which includes a clause that their salary will increase with the cap. Any contract registered with the NRL after June 2015 does not include this clause and it is my understanding that there are only a few remaining contracts throughout the NRL have this clause inserted (DCE + a couple high profile players who resigned before June 2015).

- Heard Paul Kent explain this on fox/triple M

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Stop and look at this another way - the successful clubs get this right, keep their big stars and win comps.

That is what good mgt. do. It is exactly what Facer did for 11 straight years - people management and players wanted to play for us.

We don't have excess stars - so managing our cap could be done by a 10 year old with basic math skills.

We have had an incompetent back office since the JV started - incompetent leaders in job protection mode - anyone with half a brain that comes in leaves again very quickly because they are crushed by he old guard who are threatened by them. There is an old saying "shi$ breeds shi$"

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Stop and look at this another way - the successful clubs get this right, keep their big stars and win comps.

That is what good mgt. do. It is exactly what Facer did for 11 straight years - people management and players wanted to play for us.

We don't have excess stars - so managing our cap could be done by a 10 year old with basic math skills.

We have had an incompetent back office since the JV started - incompetent leaders in job protection mode - anyone with half a brain that comes in leaves again very quickly because they are crushed by he old guard who are threatened by them. There is an old saying "shi$ breeds shi$"

You can't compare what went on in the 60's in keeping players compared to today. Players were very restricted in what they could do until Dennis Tutty took them to court. Also St George had almost limitless money to spend in this era via their Leagues club. We made present day Roosters & broncos look like paupers..

ALSGI

Bench
You can't compare what went on in the 60's in keeping players compared to today. Players were very restricted in what they could do until Dennis Tutty took them to court. Also St George had almost limitless money to spend in this era via their Leagues club. We made present day Roosters & broncos look like paupers..
100% correct Denis.
Plus they used Blackboards and chalk back then.

possm

Coach

Finally someone who understands.

Might I add, most good clubs replace their star players with a player of equal value and skill or better.
If Dugan is lost, who will replace him.
If Packer is lost, who will replace him.
If Mann, Milne and Lafai are lost, who will replace them.

The mess we have is caused by an incompetent, old boy who gain employment as our recruiter mainly because is father is a power broker in our Club.

possm

Coach
And yet here we are today, financially this joint venture is one of the basket cases today. Frank Facer won't be resting in peace.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Okay let's use your argument and ignore the 50/60's golden era. Even though we had the most amazing back office leader in sports history. Anywhere in the world. A man ahead of his time.

Fast forward. Melbourne, Brisbane, Roosters, Manly, Bulldogs, NQ - so many clubs in modern years are using all the current day ways to be successful. They always have great players and balanced teams. They don't always win but are all far superior in results to us.

Why?

They have a talented set of professional leaders running the back office.

We don't. Just accept it and life is a lot easier to understand.

possm

Coach
My estimated Dragons top 30 player list with up-dated approximate salaries for 2018 salaries in $1000s or k:

1 Dugan 800
2 Nightingale 200 *plus 150K

3 Aitken 250
4 Lafai 350
5 Macdonald 250
6 Widdop 800
7 Hunt 900

8 Packer Gone To Tigers
9 McInnes 250
10 Vaughan 550
11 Thompson 400
12 Frizell 450
13 De Belin 350 *plus 150K

14 Sims 400
15 Ah Mau 350
16 Sele 100
17 Host 100
18 Lawrie 100
19 Kerr 100
20 Dufty 100
21 Field 100
22 Herbert 100
23 Garrick 100
24 Hutchison 100
25 Leilua 100
26 Milne 200
27 Mann 200
28 Robson 100
29 New Player 100
30 New Player 100
Total Spent 8m
* Long Service Allowance 300k

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-12_7-39-31.png
    upload_2017-5-12_7-39-31.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

MilanDragon

Juniors
Possm,

Nightingale is exempt up to 300k I believe.

Not certain but I think the minimum salary is 85k.

Obviously no one knows for certain, but if you're right we would still have a bit of cap room left. Also got to remember if you are even 50k out on half of those players there goes another 500k in cap space.

P.s. Your whiteboard looks more like an excel document. I really thought you had a whiteboard set up, probably in your bedroom or study which you do all your working out on.

possm

Coach
Possm,

Nightingale is exempt up to 300k I believe.

Not certain but I think the minimum salary is 85k.

Obviously no one knows for certain, but if you're right we would still have a bit of cap room left. Also got to remember if you are even 50k out on half of those players there goes another 500k in cap space.

P.s. Your whiteboard looks more like an excel document. I really thought you had a whiteboard set up, probably in your bedroom or study which you do all your working out on.
You know I wish I never started this thread and the exercise of trying to get close to our current situation. Possm's whiteboard is real but not a digital one so I have to copy it to my xl and then pasted it into this thread. Each time I discover changes need to be made, I have a big problem in editing it. I now, after going through the exercise, have pasted a estimated 30 player squad with estimated salary.

You were right about the min salary and right about the 300k long service allowance and I was in the midst of including this info at the time you posted your info, thanks anyway.

Have a look at the post above to see the 30 player squad info. Much easier to read than the white board however, I could not come up with this list without the whiteboard.

Smurf

Juniors
It's amazing really.
Last three years ( or more ? ) no teams wanted a dragon player ---- fast forward to May 2017 and we win a few games - and all the other teams want Dragons players ......

possm

Coach
It's amazing really.
Last three years ( or more ? ) no teams wanted a dragon player ---- fast forward to May 2017 and we win a few games - and all the other teams want Dragons players ......
Scratch Packer from our 2018 cap, he has signed with the Tigers. You think he could have a least waited until after todays game against the Sharks to sign. A real Millward mess.

See the Packer thread.

Latest posts