What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POST GAME DISCUSSION - 2019 Rd10 Eels 10 v Cowboys 17

T-Boon

Coach
Nobody can give 100% effort over 80 minutes, despite the cliches. There is always an element of conservation. The trick is giving as much as you can without dying in the arse later on. This is what Arthur means by 'front loading effort'. You obviously don't want to leave too much in the tank early or you end up wasting energy backpedaling and scrambling in defence.

I don't buy this. Starting the way Parra starts costs more energy than it conserves. Take the Newcastle game we, spent most of the first half chasing Danny "Cam Smith" Levi because we did not want to man up in the contact/ruck. Thats not good strategy.

I was just reading that BA thought our effort against the Cowboys was "excellent" when at best everyone would just say we broke even with them in terms of energy/enthusiasm. Which should be the standard. He is confusing the players with his low expectations.

The trick is to always at least match your opponents energy level. Otherwise you are losers.

T-Boon

Coach
What teams like the Roosters and Storm seem to be able to do is react to the enthusiasm of the opponent. So they are never out enthused for more than a set or two. Enthusiastic teams get the rub of the green a lot. We don't.
I think BA needs to get down on the side line and try to communicate with the players. Robinson and Bellamy get away with being in the box because they have great leaders on the field and they are masters of preparing through the week. BA needs to be on deck.

Gazzamatta

Coach
What teams like the Roosters and Storm seem to be able to do is react to the enthusiasm of the opponent. So they are never out enthused for more than a set or two. Enthusiastic teams get the rub of the green a lot. We don't.
I think BA needs to get down on the side line and try to communicate with the players. Robinson and Bellamy get away with being in the box because they have great leaders on the field and they are masters of preparing through the week. BA needs to be on deck.
Have you seen the coach's box at Bankwest? Its magnificent. Besides, if he goes down to ground level where the fu*k will he put his 48 water bottles? Think it through TB!

84 Baby

Referee
We played them in Brisbane.
There was one staggered kick chase, which was only really exposed because they scored. Other than that I don't think our effort was down. The Dragons started at top speed and ran out of puff (no pun intended). Nobody can give 100% effort over 80 minutes, despite the cliches. There is always an element of conservation. The trick is giving as much as you can without dying in the arse later on. This is what Arthur means by 'front loading effort'. You obviously don't want to leave too much in the tank early or you end up wasting energy backpedaling and scrambling in defence. It's a balancing act, and a big part of why you need experienced leaders in your team. These are the merkins who recognise when it's time to lift intensity and when it's time to slow it down.
f**k that shit. We should just go hammer and tongs from the whistle. Let’s blow them out of the water in first 15 minutes then flop our way to glory.

Although that said I wish at least once we were the ambusher and not the ambushee

hindy111

Post Whore
It's all very confusing.

4 weeks ago Brown an Seibold where useless coaches.Now they know how to coach.
BA and Mgregor looked good things.

Last year Des was a has been who screwed the dogs up. This year he is coach of the year.

Then Cleary turned to Garbage and forgot how to coach.

No idea what's SK is doing. He is useless. How is he winning games ffs.

Please let's get some consistency with these coaches. Its far to confusing.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Imo, one thing we should address is how our forwards go in for contact (particularly in defense, but it also applies to attack).

I am sure that Arthur and his coaching team have their plans in place, but these are merely observations made by a diehard Eels fan who played a little bit of footy himself.

When our forwards are defending, they often jog off the 10m line, stop after 5m, and wait for the ball carrier to come to them; this gives all the momentum to the attacker.

I understand that you don't want to rush off with aggression every tackle for a number of reasons: (1) wasting too much energy; (2) leaving a gap in the defensive line, should you miss and/or effect an ineffective tackle.

But the modern game is in such a state that defense can give you the impetus, and momentum swings, to give you the ascendancy.

I believe that if our forwards - as a pack - run off the line, and look to bend/push the ball carrier back, it will help us win the ruck, and possibly force teams into offloads that don't suit them.

Conversely, I have noticed that most of our forwards (but particularly Moeroa, Alvaro, and Terepo) run very upright. I believe this is designed so that they can fall quickly to their bellies, in order to hopefully gain a quick play-the-ball.

However, I think a lot of our forwards would benefit more from leaning slightly forward when running; it would make it harder for the defenders to "turtle" our forwards, and it might give us some momentum.

As I can attest to, having played at a ridiculously low level, it saps a lot of energy out of you to try to stop a forward in their tracks - especially when they keep fighting post contact.

Over the course of 80 minutes, you can really wear a team down doing this.

Just my 2 cents.

Flame away.

/rant

Happy MEel

First Grade
Imo, one thing we should address is how our forwards go in for contact (particularly in defense, but it also applies to attack).

I am sure that Arthur and his coaching team have their plans in place, but these are merely observations made by a diehard Eels fan who played a little bit of footy himself.

When our forwards are defending, they often jog off the 10m line, stop after 5m, and wait for the ball carrier to come to them; this gives all the momentum to the attacker.

I understand that you don't want to rush off with aggression every tackle for a number of reasons: (1) wasting too much energy; (2) leaving a gap in the defensive line, should you miss and/or effect an ineffective tackle.

But the modern game is in such a state that defense can give you the impetus, and momentum swings, to give you the ascendancy.

I believe that if our forwards - as a pack - run off the line, and look to bend/push the ball carrier back, it will help us win the ruck, and possibly force teams into offloads that don't suit them.

Conversely, I have noticed that most of our forwards (but particularly Moeroa, Alvaro, and Terepo) run very upright. I believe this is designed so that they can fall quickly to their bellies, in order to hopefully gain a quick play-the-ball.

However, I think a lot of our forwards would benefit more from leaning slightly forward when running; it would make it harder for the defenders to "turtle" our forwards, and it might give us some momentum.

As I can attest to, having played at a ridiculously low level, it saps a lot of energy out of you to try to stop a forward in their tracks - especially when they keep fighting post contact.

Just my 2 cents.

Flame away.

/rant
Couldn’t agree more about the upright running style. Its why they get smashed and constantly turned onto their back. the opposition can make good first contact, keep them standing until help arrives and then turn them so we get a slow play the ball.

Mannah and Paulo get much lower into contact.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Couldn’t agree more about the upright running style. Its why they get smashed and constantly turned onto their back. the opposition can make good first contact, keep them standing until help arrives and then turn them so we get a slow play the ball.

Mannah and Paulo get much lower into contact.

Yep!

I've even noticed Niukore leans forward before contact, too.

Ma'u doesn't so much; however, he has incredible footwork, and I believe he offsets his running style because of how he moves before contact.

Alvaro, Moeroa, and Terepo all have good frames, but they run far too upright - like Justin Poore, all those years ago.

I believe that if Terepo and Moeroa, just to name two, learned to lean forward before contact, then they could "shuttle" some defenders, and possibly still earn a quick play-the-ball.

Terepo, in particular, is frustrating to watch, imo - he has speed, and no fear, so he runs like a train; however, he is often stopped dead in his tracks.

forward pass

Coach
Very half arse press conference from Brad. He should send someone else out to do them who has some passion. You can see where the playing group get their half arsedness,

Yeah I must say I find BA to be the most predictable and boring coach in the comp during interviews. He never says anything interesting. He seems too scared to say anything.

And I am sooooooooo sick of him only ever talking about attitude. Our attitude was poor, we need a better defensive attitude, we are coming with an improved attitude blah, blah, blah. We get it. It is all you talk about but no one seems to listening.

He needs to hang his hat on something else I think.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Yep!

Ma'u doesn't so much; however, he has incredible footwork, and I believe he offsets his running style because of how he moves before contact.

Alvaro, Moeroa, and Terepo all have good frames, but they run far too upright - like Justin Poore, all those years ago.

I believe that if Terepo and Moeroa, just to name two, learned to lean forward before contact, then they could "shuttle" some defenders, and possibly still earn a quick play-the-ball.

Terepo, in particular, is frustrating to watch, imo - he has speed, and no fear, so he runs like a train; however, he is often stopped dead in his tracks.
Yep forgot about Marata. However it easier doing that running at halfbacks.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Just my 2 cents.

Flame away.

/rant
f**k of merkin!

Yeah I must say I find BA to be the most predictable and boring coach in the comp during interviews. He never says anything interesting. He seems too scared to say anything.

And I am sooooooooo sick of him only ever talking about attitude. Our attitude was poor, we need a better defensive attitude, we are coming with an improved attitude blah, blah, blah. We get it. It is all you talk about but no one seems to listening.

Like completions? He used to love those.

crocodile

Bench
Yep!

Mannah used to be a too upright runner. He's since learned and his leg drive has improved immensely. Love to see him develop a regular offload.

84 Baby

Referee

So he’s worse than Skeletor, Textas, Martina, Lads or any of the other merkins who always give such riveting interviews?

Latest posts