What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-premiership top 8 predictions

Doctor

Bench
Well, I’ve put off the annual dodgy predictions for the new season for quite some time.
Once again, the Oswin approach is to rank sides based on their first 17 players – it generally gives a fair indication of rough ranking, but is open to discussion and interpretation.

I already disagree with some of the conclusions in my system, but after a while of adding the figures, the rankings (including proportionate gaps in points) are as follows:

1) Roosters

2) Knights
3) Panthers
4) Warriors

5) Broncos
6) Melbourne

7) Parramatta
8) Dragons
9) Canberra

10) Bulldogs
11) Sharks
12) Tigers
13) Cowboys

14) Souths
15) Manly

The difference between the first-placed Roosters and last-placed Manly is significant – the equivalent of two extra players.
My analysis is bound to offend some people who support the clubs towards the bottom – but as I said: it’s open to discussion and criticism. I’m the first to admit I can and will be very wrong by the end of the season.

My brief notes:

The Roosters have a strong team, the same core side as last year. They won’t be far off the top 2.
Interestingly, I ranked every team’s back-up group of players (players 18-25 in each squad) and the Roosters didn’t fair too well. If the Roosters lose key players, especially in their forwards, they have few options to turn to. Barring injury, they are clear favourites.

The Knights haven’t faired to well in recent years under the Oswin system. But their side stands out as one full of representative material. Injuries have played a role, but so has laziness in defence. The good news is that the Knights have sufficient back-up strength in their 25 to cover for much of the usual injuries. Injury will hinder their chances, but won’t relegate them to the bottom eight, even if key players are missing.

The Panthers are near enough to the same level as the Knights, but have better forwards and a great potential to cover for potential injury-woes. They lack quality in their bench, but make up for it with powerhouse forwards, and several big names.

The Warriors compensate for an ordinary squad with extraordinary individuals who can direct the rest of the 17 around the paddock. They are level with the Panthers, but have a consistent balance to the side – decent attacking players capable of rising to brilliance on occassions. Don’t underestimate their forwards.

Few will have the Broncos as high as my little ranking system indicates they may get to. But big names don’t lose their influence, and the Broncos still possess some influential old heads, combined with some noteworthy youngsters. The rest of their 25 is weak though – few recognisable names catch the eye, and such names will inevitably find their way into the starting team when injury and representative-duties kick in. My gut tells me the Broncos are not going to go as high as 5th, but worse predictions have been made before. The Broncos will struggle if their top 17 isn’t consistently on the park, with key individuals playing out of their skin every week. They won’t want to rely on the no-names that make up their unimpressive squad.

Melbourne’s geographical position helps to keep them out of sight, out of mind. But all signs point to another successful season from the Storm, once again dependant on injuries. Not many big names anywhere in their 25, but the ones that are there make the otherwise average players look impressive. The forwards don’t look like matching up with the big teams, and that may be a concern. But if key individuals get on the park this season, Melbourne will worry the vulnerable sides with those annoying intricacies of league: kicking and 70th minute running of the football.

Parramatta are a bit like the Broncos – they’ve been over-rated by the Oswin system. But the stats don’t lie about the balance in the Parramatta side. A lot of good first-graders, without the representative theme flowing through their ranks. This type of side will help them stay out of the limelight, while maintaining a spot on the welcome-mat of the top eight. Only a handful of ordinary fringe-players in their 17, plus sufficient depth in their 25, points to a season spent lingering around the 7-10 positions.

The Dragons are the victims of the Oswin system’s promotion of the Broncos and Parramatta. St George are top 8 material, possibly even top 4. The number eight spot probably doesn’t do them justice, especially given their quality halves. But they are littered with ordinary players, and a vulnerable forward pack that relies too much on key individuals. The Dragons, barring injury, will do well this year, probably even in the top 4 if they’re on song. But many seasons of the Dragon’s inconsistency point towards their ranking in the Oswin system actually being right…..by default.

The Raiders get beaten up by tipsters. They deserve better than 9th place, but they strike me as a team struggling for the reserves to fill in for injuries. The backline is a bit raw, inexperienced and seemingly vulnerable to exposure. This theme continues on into the rest of their 25 – but they possess some heavy-duty forwards and several big names in key positions who can dominate even the best of defences. I’m prepared to concede the Raiders a better positioning than 9th – they will need to prove their youngsters are up to the task though – their depth may be a concern.

The Bulldogs have an inconsistent squad – not in their performance, but in their balance. Some big names, in amongst some no-names, further enhanced by more big names. A pretty average level of depth forces some younger players into first grade prematurely, but their ranking doesn’t take into account the potential for youngsters to suddenly make a mark in first grade. A makeshift forward pack doesn’t help, but they won’t come last - just not first.

The Sharks are level with the Bulldogs. How this is the case I’m not sure. Their forward pack is beefy, but I’m not sure this will be a factor if their fitness or ball-handling isn’t up to task. The depth is worrying, but there are big names inserted throughout the side which tends to enhance their chances. They are not premiership contenders, but you would want to think they wouldn’t come in last - not a big-name forward pack and few big-name bench-players.

The Tigers have the potential to make the top eight their home for the season. I won’t be surprised to see them settle in behind the big name teams, but this is based on individual rankings and not how well the side gels. They’ve made some purchases, some excellent ones in fact. Add this to the rise of a couple of key players, and the great potential for a consistent season, and I can’t help feeling like this may be a good season for the Tigers. But unlike all teams above them in the rankings, they lack key players. In fact they have no high-ranking individuals. They may well prove the critics wrong and succeed, even without any stars – we can only wait and see.

The Cowboys finally have a consistently solid side, the backline especially. Their 17 man squad is much like the Tigers’ – solid, but not star-studded. But two key areas stand out: They have only a handful of capable forwards, and will eventually have to use their no-name forward pack on the bench. Furthermore, there are very few options in the rest of the 25 – the lowest ranking back-up in the competition according to my logic. I can’t see them causing many concerns to the competition’s front-runners.

It was either one or the other. Far behind the Cowboys there loom two other clubs, struggling for different reasons.

Souths
, according to the Oswin system, are more likely to avoid the wooden spoon this year. Last year was woeful, even given their off-field problems. But some big names have signed up with the Bunnies, in the hope of this being the defining season for the traditional club. Just a couple of big names means Souths will continue to struggle to match it with the classy teams. But these players will help build a core group of experienced players to assist the youngsters in their quest to make an impact. The forward pack is average, so too the backline. The 25-man squad as a whole doesn’t make for good reading. But you have to start from somewhere – if the Panthers can go from the experts’ relative no-hopers to minor and major premiers in a season then surely Souths can pull off some upsets and aim for a top 8 position this season.

Manly have never recovered from the end of the glory years in 1997. Their side was running on old legs back then, and despite the merger and the odd Cliffy Lyon’s comeback attempt, they’ve never recovered. The side is saturated in reserve-grade players, all keen as mustard to perform, but clearly not ready to gel as a first grade team. Only one big name, and even he is getting on in years and incapable of saving a sinking ship. All of the stats point to an ordinary season. A lowly-ranked pack of forwards, solid backs but lacking in depth. Who would have thought that 7-8 years after Manly’s 97 Grand Final loss, we’d still be feeling sorry for them. Dare I say I hope they do better this year?

antonius

Coach
I'll stick to the top 8 and spoon, they are as follows.

1) Roosters
2) Panthers
3) Warriors
4) Knights
5) Sharks
6) Broncos
7) Bulldogs
8) Cowboys

Spoon Souths

I still think the Goosters are the team to beat, the Sharks will relish a new coach and it'll show on the field. Cowboys will definately make the eight this year, and can't see anyone beating the bunnies for the spoon.

Andy

First Grade
Andy's shocking, yet possible predictions...

1 Sharks
2 Knights
3 St. George
4 Roosters
5 Panthers
6 Warriors
7 Broncos
8 Raiders
9 Bulldogs

10 Cowboys
11 Storm
12 Tigers
13 Eels
14 Rabbitohs
15 Sea Eagles

Dmac

Juniors
1 Raiders
2 Roosters
3 St. George
4 Panthers
5 Warriors
6 Bulldogs
7 Broncos
8 Sharks
9 Eels

10 Cowboys
11 Storm
12 Tigers
13 Manly
14 Rabbitohs
15 Knights

Razor

Coach
1) Roosters

2) Knights
3) Warriors
4) Dragons

5) Storm
6) Bulldogs
7) Tigers
8) Broncos

9) Panthers
10) Raiders
11) Cowboys
12) Sharks
13) Eels
14) Manly

15) Souths

Doctor

Bench
Razor said:
1) Roosters

2) Knights
3) Warriors
4) Dragons

5) Storm
6) Bulldogs
7) Tigers
8) Broncos

9) Panthers
10) Raiders
11) Cowboys
12) Sharks
13) Eels
14) Manly

15) Souths

Interesting that you have the Panthers so low. Do you think the loss of Scott Sattler is significant, or is it that other sides will perform better? Post-premiership inertia perhaps?

What is fairly clear is that some sides are ending up anywhere from 1-10, others go from top 4 to bottom 4 for some (excuse all the fours/fors/4s :lol: )

Sounds like another nightmare season for tipsters. :shock:

Razor

Coach
Oswin said:
Interesting that you have the Panthers so low. Do you think the loss of Scott Sattler is significant, or is it that other sides will perform better? Post-premiership inertia perhaps?

I think the Panthers over-acheived last year. And I am counting on some other sides to remain reletivly injury free, unlike last year.

Anonymous

Juniors
As an analyst i would love to see the metrics you use to calculate your rankings. For what it is worth this is what my bones tell me:

Roosters
Canberra
Saints
Knights
Eels
Bulldogs
Penrith
Cowboys

Doctor

Bench
pando said:
As an analyst i would love to see the metrics you use to calculate your rankings. For what it is worth this is what my bones tell me:

Roosters
Canberra
Saints
Knights
Eels
Bulldogs
Penrith
Cowboys

Me?

Points are given to each player in the first 17:
10 - No-one achieves this number

9 - Very few can get this - Johns, Lockyer and Jones are the only ones from memory.

8 - These are the top players - generally representatives, but not as a rule. Typical 8s include Kennedy, Simspon, Buderus, Tallis, Webcke, Kimmorley, Fittler, Orford, etc etc.

7 - Most players get a 7 - they are sometimes representative players, but often times just players who are regular first-graders and won't be dropped in a hurry. For the Knights: O'Davis, Abraham, Perry, Parsons, M. Gidley etc.

6 - Most sides have a couple of 6s - these are typically players who haven't cemented a first grade spot or just don't perform to the standard. Teams like Manly, Souths etc tend to have a lot of these. For the Knights: Hughes, Quigley, M.Kennedy, Lowrie, etc.

5 - Few players get this low because it generally means you're not very good. Sides like Manly and Souths have a few of these fellas - practical no-names who have never played first grade, or else are fairly new to it. If the Knights were to pop someone like Jarod Taylor into their first grade 17, he would earn a 5. So too someone like Maddison.

The players 18-25 are given an overall score as a body of players. 6/20 is poor, 8/20 is dodgy, 10/20 is normal, 12/20 is pretty solid, 14/20 was not given to any team this year, and 16-18/20 is like carrying a second set of first graders in your ranks. Examples: The Broncos scored about a 7 or 8, Manly came in around 6 and the highest score was the Panthers (13). The Knights received a 12.

It's not a very exciting system, and there are several flaws (i.e. doesn't take into account the impact of an individual like Johns on the whole side - take Johns out of the Knights side, and it is rarely a matter of bringing in a 6 or a 7 to replace him as a 9 - he potentially takes 8 or 9 points away from the team)

Raider_69

Post Whore
just thought i would let you in on something
canberra won the PL, came 3rd in Flegg and won SB ball last year
depth is not a worry for us ;-)

dont worry about us, we will again be pounded from pillar to post then make the 4 confortably 8)

Raider_69

Post Whore
as for rankings, i recon Wiki, Schif, Macca, Davico, O'Hara and Croker would be 8 and above
Graham, Monnas are boarderline 8's
and almost the ramaining team would be 7's bar smith who is a clear 6

Raider_69

Post Whore
pando said:

Roosters
Canberra
Saints
Knights
Eels
Bulldogs
Penrith
Cowboys

thats the basically 8 im tipping but in a slightly different order
1. Roosters 2. Raiders 3. Dragons 4. Knights 5. Penrith 6. Eels 7. Cowboys 8. Tigers

Andy

First Grade
You've got the Tigers in your 8...

Hmm, I think they'll improve on last years standings, but making the 8 is a huge call. I'd give them 10th at most.

BUDERUS

Juniors
predictions
1.Roosters
2. Knights
3.Warriors
4.Panthers
5. Bulldogs
6.Sharks
7. Broncos
8.Raiders
9.Eels
10.Storm
11.Cowboys
12.Tigers
13.Manly
14.Dragons
15.Souths

1 - Roosters
2 - Knights
3 - Warriors
4 - Panthers
5 - Raiders
6 - Parramatta
7 - Sharks
8 - Dragons

When I get home I'll set up the same comp I ran last year with people's tips and we'll see how close we get. For every posiiton you're off, you get one point, the person with the least points will be the winner.

astrogirl

First Grade
Oswin said:
pando said:

Roosters
Canberra
Saints
Knights
Eels
Bulldogs
Penrith
Cowboys

Me?

Points are given to each player in the first 17:
10 - No-one achieves this number

9 - Very few can get this - Johns, Lockyer and Jones are the only ones from memory.

8 - These are the top players - generally representatives, but not as a rule. Typical 8s include Kennedy, Simspon, Buderus, Tallis, Webcke, Kimmorley, Fittler, Orford, etc etc.

7 - Most players get a 7 - they are sometimes representative players, but often times just players who are regular first-graders and won't be dropped in a hurry. For the Knights: O'Davis, Abraham, Perry, Parsons, M. Gidley etc.

6 - Most sides have a couple of 6s - these are typically players who haven't cemented a first grade spot or just don't perform to the standard. Teams like Manly, Souths etc tend to have a lot of these. For the Knights: Hughes, Quigley, M.Kennedy, Lowrie, etc.

5 - Few players get this low because it generally means you're not very good. Sides like Manly and Souths have a few of these fellas - practical no-names who have never played first grade, or else are fairly new to it. If the Knights were to pop someone like Jarod Taylor into their first grade 17, he would earn a 5. So too someone like Maddison.

The players 18-25 are given an overall score as a body of players. 6/20 is poor, 8/20 is dodgy, 10/20 is normal, 12/20 is pretty solid, 14/20 was not given to any team this year, and 16-18/20 is like carrying a second set of first graders in your ranks. Examples: The Broncos scored about a 7 or 8, Manly came in around 6 and the highest score was the Panthers (13). The Knights received a 12.

It's not a very exciting system, and there are several flaws (i.e. doesn't take into account the impact of an individual like Johns on the whole side - take Johns out of the Knights side, and it is rarely a matter of bringing in a 6 or a 7 to replace him as a 9 - he potentially takes 8 or 9 points away from the team)
LOL

Oswin, I expected your system to be a lot more complex. I'm not sure whether I am paying you a compliment here, or insulting you. Maybe both? ;-)

For the record though, there aren't many who would apply a process to picking the end of season ladder. I'd just go by instinct.

astrogirl

First Grade
Danish Moo Cow said:
When I get home I'll set up the same comp I ran last year with people's tips and we'll see how close we get. For every posiiton you're off, you get one point, the person with the least points will be the winner.
Excellent :D See below for my ladder.

For the record though, there aren't many who would apply a process to picking the end of season ladder. I'd just go by instinct.
I'm starting to regret saying this. I have applied my own hopelessly flawed (but less time consuming) system to come up with my rankings. I'm not terribly happy with it, but here it is:

1 Roosters
2 Panthers
3 Knights
4 Storm
5 Warriors
6 Raiders
7 Bulldogs
8 Broncos
9 Dragons
10 Cowboys
11 Tigers
12 Eels
13 Sharks
14 Souths
15 Eagles

Doctor

Bench
Raider_69 said:
canberra won the PL, came 3rd in Flegg and won SB ball last year
depth is not a worry for us ;-)

These sort of results may prove valuable in future seasons, so it says something about the Raiders' future. But as for proving a deciding factor this year: I'm not convinced.

They may be all talented, but the sort of depth I'm talking about is based a lot on first-grade experience but more importantly the ability to cope in first grade.

They may well make the top 4, but the youngsters will need to prove they are capable in the top grade - same as many of the Knights' own youngsters.

Oswin, I expected your system to be a lot more complex. I'm not sure whether I am paying you a compliment here, or insulting you. Maybe both?

Insult accepted. ;-)
It's not complex because the more analytical it gets, the more distorted the results. Clearly individual influence, team dynamics and the draw are not being investigated here.

It's just as fallible as anyone else's system - lucky-dips or just off the top of people's heads.

astrogirl

First Grade
Oswin said:
It's not complex because the more analytical it gets, the more distorted the results. Clearly individual influence, team dynamics and the draw are not being investigated here.
I agree.

The astrogirl-system doesn't allow for the influence of the coach, player depth, team cohesion, team controversy, the list goes on...

~bedsy~

First Grade
1. Roosters
2. Penrith
3. Knights
4. Warriors
5. Broncos
6. Dragons
7. Raiders
8. Bulldogs

9. Storm
10. Cowboys