What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prediction poll - who will get the 18th team?

Who will be the 18th NRL team?

• Brisbane Firehawks

• Brisbane Jets

• Brisbane other bid (including merged Firehawks/Jets - please specify)

• Perth

• Wellington

• Christchurch

• The Bears

• Other (Please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Rubbish, you’ll see when the RUWC is on here how much Aussies love to get behind their national teams In most sports. Cricket is another example, seems they don’t have problems getting interest in australia beating the likes of nz and England. Reality is people are sheep and will follow what they are told or influenced to follow, the 100% focus on origin over internationals is why a RLWC final couldn’t even fill Suncorp. I’m old enough to have attended internationals in the 90’s when there was massive buzz about test at matches and tours.

lol in your head only, as someone who came from England I can tell you I knew very little about australia as there is nothing other than neighbours and sport mentioned about the country. Having worked and Traveled the states in recent years the Americans are even more ignorant of Australia.
thats the most elevated level of both union & cricket so thats why theres support

international RL is not within that sport.
Origin is
its not rocket science

the poms need to be better , its their fault international RL is f**ked

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Looks like it’s a straight shootout between Perth and Christchurch on here at least.

id be happy with either tbh although I think both bids would need a seriously wealthy backer behind them.

The Great Dane

First Grade
And why would you bother doing that then on a discussion based forum.
You want to lecture people on authority , who gave you the authority to do that ?
What Santino is doing (and he has a history of it) doesn't promote discussion.

It's a blatant shaming tactic designed to shut down discussion by attacking a persons character instead of their opinion, and as a participant in the discussion I'm well within my rights to call such lame BS out.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Dragons are highest drawing away team.
Even if that's true, what's your point!?
If 3rd or 4th team in Brisbane means more money for game then that's the final story. Long term growth is bullshit. Sport in Australia is notoriously regional. Don't buy into the lions or swans when they make grand final. Hype dies soon after & games return to 7mate
The facts don't bare that out, and frankly I don't think there's any point trying to change your mind because you obviously aren't interested in the truth when it doesn't suit your agenda.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Rubbish, you’ll see when the RUWC is on here how much Aussies love to get behind their national teams In most sports.
If they play their cards right it'll be like the last one; a flash in the pan that fades quickly after it's over.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't be as successful, cultural relevancy wise, as the last one was anyway (RU now is in a very different place than where it was in the early 00s), and even if it is as successful as 03 it shows that RU is in a pretty sorry state in this country if has to host the WC to have the same cultural relevancy that SOO, the NRL and AFL GFs, etc, bring those codes each year.

It's a blatant shaming tactic designed to shut down discussion by attacking a persons character instead of their opinion, and as a participant in the discussion I'm well within my rights to call such lame BS out.
he was calling out PR , the most transparent & agenda driven BS sprouting clown on these forums & Santino is well within his rights to call PR's lame BS out too

AdelaideSharky

Juniors

I'm not a fan of PR or BP at all but while I don't agree with Santino's tone he does have a valid point. For all of PR's good points he does come across as a bitter, salty sook that wants everyone out of the competition just so Perth can get a team.

Colk

First Grade
the truth haha

its your opinion 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
Suppprter base numbers are bullshit. Swans claim to be most supported team in country but draw 30k FTA viewers in Sydney same as a netball game.
Place where most ppl watch NRL is Sydney. Take out Sydney teams & you only have a few high rated games per week.
No mistake 3rd Brisbane team is favorite for next expansion. Maximizing 2nd biggest NRL market is financially best for sport.

Are you really suggesting that the Swans haven’t been good for the AFL? Or the Lions for the matter? Have a look at their memberships and attendances - I would suggest that it has worked for them in so far as that game has popularity and presence in a RL market/area. Something that game would never have expected or thought possible 40 years ago. A quick question if you like: do you think the Lions and Swans have added money to the coffers of the AFL or detracted?

On the 3rd Brisbane side being the overwhelming favourite - what evidence do you want to proffer? The NRL have come out a few times now and stated that they want a second NZ side. Also the process in picking the Dolphins (Broncos/News Limited picking them because they don’t want an inner city rival) would suggest that a 3rd Brisbane has some hurdles to overcome. Not impossible, but definitely not looking like the overwhelming favourite.

Anyway, there is no logic in maximising a market or two (I would suggest oversaturating is a better word as again not all Sydney teams are popular/rate well) whilst plainly ignoring others. If you’d like you can answer this question truthfully: as they are a driving force would a Sydney based or even a NSW based competition earn the same amount as the competition in its current format?

Colk

First Grade
Looks like it’s a straight shootout between Perth and Christchurch on here at least.

id be happy with either tbh although I think both bids would need a seriously wealthy backer behind them.

I actually think a second NZ side is the overwhelming favourite. There would have to be either no bidders in NZ and a massive bidder in WA that kind of forces the NRL’s hands (I actually don’t even think that would change their mind) or there is a change in the administration between now and the decision being made (much more likely to change the direction of the decision)

I’d like both to be added. I’m much more bullish on Perth, just because of the sheer capital/sponsorship opportunities over there, but both would work with the proper management/oversight/investment (although NRL management and its history is going to be the biggest hurdle with any expansion)

Are you really suggesting that the Swans haven’t been good for the AFL? Or the Lions for the matter? Have a look at their memberships and attendances - I would suggest that it has worked for them in so far as that game has popularity and presence in a RL market/area. Something that game would never have expected or thought possible 40 years ago. A quick question if you like: do you think the Lions and Swans have added money to the coffers of the AFL or
not really no ,
after 40 years they're still on secondary channels in Sydney & Brisbane in prime time because they don;t rate & both have been insolvent financially despite on field success , the Swans a few times.
As for popularity , apart from ex pats or league hating toffs in Sydney or Brisbane AFL isn't that much more popular then it was 40 years ago with main stream sports fans in those cities

Colk

First Grade
not really no ,
after 40 years they're still on secondary channels in Sydney & Brisbane in prime time because they don;t rate & both have been insolvent financially despite on field success , the Swans a few times.
As for popularity , apart from ex pats or league hating toffs in Sydney or Brisbane AFL isn't that much more popular then it was 40 years ago with main stream sports fans in those cities

I hate AFL as much you do but it has been a good decision. They would have added a fair bit of money/sponsorship dollars to their competition by virtue of these decisions (even taking into consideration that they have bailed them out a few times early in their existence) and they have added to their overall supporter base. They realised that this idea that there are rusted on areas anymore; because people don’t live and die in the same area their whole life, is completely ridiculous.

The Suns and the Giants are probably the decisions in question atm but they will make it work through persistence.

Rubbish, you’ll see when the RUWC is on here how much Aussies love to get behind their national teams In most sports. Cricket is another example, seems they don’t have problems getting interest in australia beating the likes of nz and England. Reality is people are sheep and will follow what they are told or influenced to follow, the 100% focus on origin over internationals is why a RLWC final couldn’t even fill Suncorp. I’m old enough to have attended internationals in the 90’s when there was massive buzz about test at matches and tours.

lol in your head only, as someone who came from England I can tell you I knew very little about australia as there is nothing other than neighbours and sport mentioned about the country. Having worked and Traveled the states in recent years the Americans are even more ignorant of Australia.
You didn't know about marsupials such as kangaroos or koalas?

🤔

What was your reason for moving to Australia?

II started watching the game almost 30 years ago. RL Test matches have not drawn massive crowds in this country during that period. You have to go back about 50 or 60 years to see fans packing out stadia in Brisbane and Sydney to watch Australia play Great Britain, which was when they were truly equal to Australia and a genuine draw. Like TGD said, RL has falling away in England since Murdoch took control and restrictrd it to people with Sky Sports. Its supporters are mostly from the lower socio-economic sector, so God knows how many actually have access to Sky Sports. The same thing happened over here with RU.

Cricket is Australia's only national sport and the 2015 ICC World Cup was just the second ever to be held here, with the first being held in 1992. Events often draw crowds in this country.

I hate AFL as much you do but it has been a good decision. They would have added a fair bit of money/sponsorship dollars to their competition by virtue of these decisions (even taking into consideration that they have bailed them out a few times early in their existence) and they have added to their overall supporter base. They realised that this idea that there are rusted on areas anymore; because people don’t live and die in the same area their whole life, is completely ridiculous.

The Suns and the Giants are probably the decisions in question atm but they will make it work through persistence.
your opinion only
they've spent an enormous amount in 40 years & probably as much as they've earnt meaning they're neutral in the hip pocket & can't outrate cooking shows on TV so , their supporter base is still limited to ex pats & toffs
nothing to suggest otherwise

pippen & PVL are right , pissing money away on expansion teams in fumble*tard states is pointless, lock down the heartland & make it even harder for their failing expansion teams & bankrupt them. They have nowhere to go,

Brisbane 3 , then NZ 2

your opinion only
they've spent an enormous amount in 40 years & probably as much as they've earnt meaning they're neutral in the hip pocket & can't outrate cooking shows on TV so , their supporter base is still limited to ex pats & toffs
They have increased player registration numbers to 15k or 20k in Queensland. I live a short walk away from the Lions @ Springwood Social Club. There's a fumbleball club called the Springwood Pumas just down the road. I've seen quite a few kids getting around in Lions guernseys. This has all happened within the last 20 years, with Logan last having a Queensland Cup team of its own in 2002. I tried to get the QRL and Logan City Council to reform the Scorpions around a decade ago, but none of the pricks gave a shit. Our game is run by low brow spastics who couldn't give a f**k about the overall health of the game and are solely interested in protecting their little patch of turf. AwFuL has seen how stupid and insular the Broncos, QRL and ARLC are and have identified neglected RL strongholds like Logan and Ipswich as areas to grow support.

It would be great if the Melbourne Storm formed some sort of relationship with the Logan Thunder NBL1 team and launched a bid to get them in the NBL. They already have a team of their own in the netball called Sunshine Coast Lightning. Logan would be a great recruitment area for Melbourne. Add a Logan Scorpions Queensland Cup club, funded by Melbourne Storm, and both clubs will benefit nicely.

They have increased player registration numbers to 15k or 20k in Queensland. I live a short walk away from the Lions @ Springwood Social Club. There's a fumbleball club called the Springwood Pumas just down the road. I've seen quite a few kids getting around in Lions guernseys. This has all happened within the last 20 years, with Logan last having a Queensland Cup team of its own in 2002. I tried to get the QRL and Logan City Council to reform the Scorpions around a decade ago, but none of the pricks gave a shit. Our game is run by low brow spastics who couldn't give a f**k about the overall health of the game and are solely interested in protecting their little patch of turf. AwFuL has seen how stupid and insular the Broncos, QRL and ARLC are and have identified neglected RL strongholds like Logan and Ipswich as areas to grow support.

It would be great if the Melbourne Storm formed some sort of relationship with the Logan Thunder NBL1 team and launched a bid to get them in the NBL. They already have a team of their own in the netball called Sunshine Coast Lightning. Logan would be a great recruitment area for Melbourne. Add a Logan Scorpions Queensland Cup club, funded by Melbourne Storm, and both clubs will benefit nicely.
they're participants , not supporters & its no different to soccer , the most played code of the football codes in NSW & QLD.
Its an easy soft game to play like soccer & the reason skinny little white boy play it forced to by their domineering mothers

they're participants , not supporters & its no different to soccer , the most played code of the football codes in NSW & QLD.
Its an easy soft game to play like soccer & the reason skinny little white boy play it forced to by their domineering mothers
It's disheartening to see kids following other sports. When I watch the NBL I see a lot more children than what we get at NRL games.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
your opinion only
Tbf the reason why ratings are low is the majority of the clubs' members are at the game.

Anybody knows Australian Rules is a far better game to watch live than it is on tv.

Colk

First Grade
your opinion only
pippen & PVL are right , pissing money away on expansion teams in fumble*tard states is pointless, lock down the heartland & make it even harder for their failing expansion teams & bankrupt them. They have nowhere to go,

Brisbane 3 , then NZ 2

Firstly just because PVL is in charge doesn’t mean you have to agree with him. His view is myopic and is emblematic of the game in general.

Secondly, AFL isn’t going away so the idea that you’re going to bankrupt them is completely deluded. You can refer to GROTD about what they are actually doing on the ground - essentially they are playing the long game. They aren’t going away

Thirdly, don’t attendances per match of Lions or Swans outstrip every NRL club. That either suggests there are more toffs and ex-pats in those areas than you think or they are attracting more people to watch the game.

There are a lot of people who don’t have allegiance to any particular code or sport - they go to live sport or watch a sport on TV for the spectacle/to be entertained. These are the people you need to convert in order to grow the game, not the rusted ons. If you want an analogy, think of politics. Elections are won by swinging voters - the same thing occurs here.

Fourthly how many teams do you need to lock up a heartland? I would have thought that we are at that point already. Also NZ is hardly a heartland. They are probably more enamoured with RU than fumbleball states are with fumbleball, so you would be taking on a more popular sport anyway

Fifthly you mentioned that AFL support in NSW/Qld is basically made up of people from fumbleball states (no evidence backing that up but anyway) Are there not people originally from the eastern states living now in Perth and Adelaide? People move constantly to other parts of the country, so the idea that any part of the country is somehow impenetrable to Rugby League; or any other major sport for that matter, is completely myopic. Also at its heart it’s really a view inherently inferior or insecure. If you’re a business and you have the money to invest in an area and you decide not to, what are you telling your company and its customers, as well as importantly your competition. You’re saying to them that we don’t think our product is as good as yours and we can’t convince anybody who hasn’t grown up with sport to follow it.

Latest posts