What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prediction poll - who will get the 18th team?

Who will be the 18th NRL team?

• Brisbane Firehawks

• Brisbane Jets

• Brisbane other bid (including merged Firehawks/Jets - please specify)

• Perth

• Wellington

• Christchurch

• The Bears

• Other (Please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Colk

First Grade
you've never posted one positive comment about the NRL nor posted a negative one about the AFL
you know what that makes you don't you ?

a stooge 😎

We’re commenting specifically on the topic of rugby league management over the past 30 years - why would I lie and say it has been great when it has clearly been terrible? Anybody with any shred of objectivity, or indeed intellect, would say the same. Something I also assume you know subconsciously, because you are now posting something about me rather than the actual topic at hand.

Also, on the matter of the positive/negative comments, I’ve clearly stated on numerous posts that I detest fumbleball and that I enjoy/love rugby league. So I don’t know how they don’t qualify as negative or positive comments.

Anyway, I have enjoyed the ‘rigorous’ debate (or lack thereof)

We’re commenting specifically on the topic of rugby league management over the past 30 years - why would I lie and say it has been great when it has clearly been terrible? Anybody with any shred of objectivity, or indeed intellect, would say the same. Something I also assume you know subconsciously, because you are now posting something about me rather than the actual topic at hand.

Also, on the matter of the positive/negative comments, I’ve clearly stated on numerous posts that I detest fumbleball and that I enjoy/love rugby league. So I don’t know how they don’t qualify as negative or positive comments.

Anyway, I have enjoyed the ‘rigorous’ debate (or lack thereof)
Im not alking about here , im talking about every thread you've ever posted in on these forums

not one positive thing to say
you're one to lecture on objectivity when you possess none , not an ounce.

You can protest your innocence re the AFL, but im dubbing you a vicky kicky cheer leaderlike your mate PR
there
its done 😎

Colk

First Grade
When we are ready for Brisbane 3, say in 15-20 years time, it would be good to see the Tigers and Jets come together to develop a joint ownership South Brisbane somethings. Dolphins will hopefully realise their error at some point and become the North Brisbane or MB Dolphins. That will effectively split the metro region into 3 key areas for the three clubs with Broncos still having full city wide appeal.

Until then lets get Perth in for 2027 then start planning for NZ2 a few years later followed finally by Brisbane 3.
A 20 team comp by 2040 with those 3 added would be a solid target.

This would be probably ideal. Perth and NZ 2 should be the next two. Brisbane 3 or Adelaide for the 20th team (Brisbane 3 depending on how the Dolphins go but each has a case after 10 or so years)

Hartwood

Juniors
This thread is in dire need of moderation.

IMO the NRL should work hard to get to a 20 team comp, adding Perth, Christchurch and Adelaide in order of priority. Once these are added there are no other cities that are obvious candidates for teams. Then we can stick with a stable 20 team comp for many years before adding Melbourne 2 and Brisbane 3

Colk

First Grade

IMO the NRL should work hard to get to a 20 team comp, adding Perth, Christchurch and Adelaide in order of priority. Once these are added there are no other cities that are obvious candidates for teams. Then we can stick with a stable 20 team comp for many years before adding Melbourne 2 and Brisbane 3

Very good post. What timeframe would you be aiming for?

Melbourne 2 is an interesting one. The Storm's local supporter base consists of open-minded fumbleball fans adopting them as their second team behind the one they support in AwFuL. A second NRL team will f**k that model up.

It's probably best to make the Storm as big as the Swans, if that's possible, and focus more on building towards NZ 2 and 3, Bris 3 and Perth 1 and 2. Adelaide should have a team. Having representation in every major city will boost the game's profile.

Colk

First Grade
Melbourne 2 is an interesting one. The Storm's local supporter base consists of open-minded fumbleball fans adopting them as their second team behind the one they support in AwFuL. A second NRL team will f**k that model up.

It's probably best to make the Storm as big as the Swans, if that's possible, and focus more on building towards NZ 2 and 3, Bris 3 and Perth 1 and 2. Adelaide should have a team. Having representation in every major city will boost the game's profile.

It’s an interesting one. It wouldn’t be an option you would consider in the short term for sure but who knows in 20-30 years.

One particular selling point about another Melbourne side is the population growth. By that time, Melbourne’s population is predicted to be in 7-8 million mark, so there is enough population there for two teams, but it simply depends on how big the Storm are by that point.

It’s an interesting one. It wouldn’t be an option you would consider in the short term for sure but who knows in 20-30 years.

One particular selling point about another Melbourne side is the population growth. By that time, Melbourne’s population is predicted to be in 7-8 million mark, so there is enough population there for two teams, but it simply depends on how big the Storm are by that point.
Melbourne doesn't really deserve a second team when it only has 3k registered players and relies on the heartlands for talent.

LimeRick

Juniors

I think a second Melbourne team would actually help the Storm if done properly (and I’m not saying any time soon).

An “us v them” factor gets fans more invested than the average Storm fan is at the moment.

GWS is a good example; a lot of people were worried that they’d cannibalise the Swans’ support, but the Swans’ membership has doubled since the Giants entered and their crowds have been about 15-20% higher.

For a Melbourne perspective, there was a slight dip in the Victory’s support when the Heart joined, but since then they’ve had their six best membership years.

Melbourne doesn’t have the natural East-West divide, but you’d think Southeast is the way to go. That’s where the bulk of the population is. Melbourne City have set up base there and there’s talk of them moving all their home games there if they can get a rectangular 15k stadium built. Would be pretty easy for Melbourne 2 to piggyback off that.

mongoose

Coach
Melbourne doesn't really deserve a second team when it only has 3k registered players and relies on the heartlands for talent.
The NRL/Storm need to address this before thinking about a 2nd Melbourne team, but it should definitely be considered down the track.

Like I've said on here before though the NRL doesn't want players from VIC/WA/SA cause it will disrupt Origin.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's what you get when you fail to invest in growth. Maybe you should vent your anger at the organisation whose responsible for increasing grassroots players in the sport and who invests a pittance in NRLVIC. "No point wasting money on afl states", straight from our leaders mouth lol.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
NRL blueprint for success by 2030.

By the year 2030 the NRL should be looking to have a 20 team competition with the addition of 3 new expansion teams namely :-

NZ2
perth
brisbane3

The extra and new players needed to fill the squads of 20 NRL teams will be sourced from the current traditional areas plus in the short-term the U.K./European super league, NZ schoolboy union talent, Fiji union&league schoolboy talent, PNG league talent, Samoa Union schoolboy talent and Tongan schoolboy Union talent.

Long-term recruitment with heavy investment will come from areas like Western Australia, Victoria, New Caledonia, Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Assuming that there's a strong ownership group from Melbourne with a good business plan, why not Melbourne 2 in the short term?

If they're the best bid that progresses the sport, then they're the best bid that progresses sport. You don't want to get stuck into ways of thinking where X place is next in line, there for only bids from X place will be considered. That makes both the sport and business incredibly rigid and slow to react to opportunities.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
NRL blueprint for success by 2030.

By the year 2030 the NRL should be looking to have a 20 team competition with the addition of 3 new expansion teams namely :-

NZ2
perth
brisbane3
Unless there's monumental change in how the sport is administered in this country there's zero chance that the NRL expands to 20 teams by 2030.

Team 18 will come in somewhere between 2025-28, then it'll be a decade minimum before the NRL expands again.

That's what you get when you fail to invest in growth. Maybe you should vent your anger at the organisation whose responsible for increasing grassroots players in the sport and who invests a pittance in NRLVIC. "No point wasting money on afl states", straight from our leaders mouth lol.
Hopefully our administrators realise there are plenty of Polynesians, Queenslanders and New South Welshman in Melbourne who are easy recruits for our game. We should be looking at getting ay least 5k to 10k of them playing RL.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Unless there's monumental change in how the sport is administered in this country there's zero chance that the NRL expands to 20 teams by 2030.

Team 18 will come in somewhere between 2025-28, then it'll be a decade minimum before the NRL expands again.
I think you are right unfortunately.

Perth Red

Post Whore
P
Hopefully our administrators realise there are plenty of Polynesians, Queenslanders and New South Welshman in Melbourne who are easy recruits for our game. We should be looking at getting ay least 5k to 10k of them playing RL.
Pre SL we had 10k registered players in WA. The game is still a long long way from being where it was in the early 90’s Despite the billions of $’s it has received in the last 20 years.
Makes you wonder How we did it back then with no money yet with all the money the game now has we aren’t close to being back there?