What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prelim 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
A weird feeling last night, i was shattered in 2014 and 2015 but not really this year as i think the cowboys saved us from a pretty embarrassing GF loss.

We made the same dumb errors we have all year (looking at you Fergo) which you can't do in big games. A prelim final appearance was probably a generous result given our performances this year. I think the players will be better for the experience and we will be back there next year.

3 aubo
2 cordner
1 matterson

3 points: Boyd Cordner.
2 points: Mitchell Aubusson.
1 point: Isaac Lui.

Errors cost us last night. Too much hceap possession given to the Cowboys which they exploited on every opportunity. It seemed like they scored of evry handling error we made.

Some of our forwards went MIA last night, Jared in particularly. JWH is amongst my favourite players but he was barely sighted all night. Keary seemed far less effective, he rarely seemed to run.

isaiah

Bench
3 points: Boyd Cordner.
2 points: Mitchell Aubusson.
1 point: Isaac Lui.

Errors cost us last night.

Some of our forwards went MIA last night, Jared in particularly. JWH is amongst my favourite players but he was barely sighted all night. Keary seemed far less effective, he rarely seemed to run.
did Napa play. Bit of a worry for Australia in the WC if selected.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Napa isn't half the prop RCG is. There's no way he deserves a Roos jumper.

I'd have Klemmer McGuire Brown RCG Trbojevic McLean Vaughan Bolton Woods all ahead of him.

As for 3 2 1s... gross. This is hard work after such a diabolical performance.

3. Cordner
2. Liu
1. Aubusson

The rest go without food for a week.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
A weird feeling last night, i was shattered in 2014 and 2015 but not really this year as i think the cowboys saved us from a pretty embarrassing GF loss.

We made the same dumb errors we have all year (looking at you Fergo) which you can't do in big games. A prelim final appearance was probably a generous result given our performances this year. I think the players will be better for the experience and we will be back there next year.

3 aubo
2 cordner
1 matterson

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments regarding how you felt about the game. i was the same, definitely wasn't that upset and felt that we probably overachieved to get into second spot then pulling that cripple fight out of the fire in week one of the finals didn't help either. obviously if we had gotten to the big dance then there's always a chance we could have cause the upset however i imagine those bad habits we've developed over the year would have come back to bite us.

My Observations on the game overall:

1. JWH really didn't stand up and his high tackle penalty and relaxing for that split second while sliding across in defense when Martin scored really cost us. Napa was also poor (almost unseen) which was really disappointing considering how well he went in Origin.. still haven't seen a game from him like the one where he took Souths apart for a full 80 min. Was hoping to see something similar from him here against JT.

2. The bad habits formed when we were ahead in games throughout the year and let teams back in came back and bit us when it counted most. Every time we scored we made an error on the following set bar one where we managed to delay the error till the first tackle on the subsequent set (which the cows then scored off). You cant make that many errors coming out of your own end and expect to win. even looking more closely at the error count which was 11-5 three of those cows errors came while they were well on the attack. Only the Hess and O'Neil drop balls were in there own end. Fergo's drop balls and Latrells piss poor defense on Feldt cost us 12 points alone that's not even including the kick offs that went out on the full....

3. I'm a huge fan or Trent however i'm still perplexed at his decision to play Toops off the bench especially being that he is such a confidence player, if he was fit play him 80 or not at all. Really strange decision and one that i believe cost us in the end as it robbed of an interchange forward (which we could have used after that 10 minute period where i think we had about 5% of the ball) and stifled our attack with Matterson in the centres. I also think that although he was no doubt putting a positive spin on our ability to win close games or the 'big moments' he was glossing over the fact that the only reason we needed to win those games in the clutch was because we'd handed leads back to the opposition time and time again. Those bad habits over the course of the year and we couldn't break them when it counted most.

4. Our halves are good but not great. Morgan must be close to the best player in the comp at the moment he killed our guys in every area.

The players that stood up were the usual suspects whose brain cells have a lot more company than the likes of Fego, JWH etc. As they say you cant fix stupid and we have proven throughout the year that we were one of the dumbest sides to ever lace on their boots.

3. Cords
2. Aubs
1. Gordon

On the positive side of the coin guys like Latrell will hopefully learn a lot from that and if we can cut the errors out of our game then we really can compete with any side in the comp.. well that was cathartic.... Go Cows..

adamkungl

Immortal
Dont give a f**k about 3 2 1s when our season's done, but my thoughts.

Very poor bench usage. Was obvious before the game even started that Tupou on the bench is a pointless tactic at best, self-sabotaging at worst. Our forwards were dominated and our backline lacked effectiveness due to being 3 centres down on the start of the year (Latrell covering wing, SKD punted and Manu dropped. For what it's worth Manu carved up for Wyong from what I saw, despite the loss.

The team lacked effectiveness and penetration.
Pearce played the same solid but lacking creativity game as the rest of the post Origin season, peaking with the nice short ball to Cordner. A key point has been even despite this he has been creating good room for Keary and the outside backs - Cowboys expected and shut this down hard. We made it easier for them by playing 2 forwards in the centres.
The forward pack was beaten. The stats aren't good reading there. Taumololo was immense, every time he ran close to the try line it sucked in defenders and our slow wide defence couldn't react to Morgan on the next play. This is what Pearce and JWH should have been doing. Instead it was being done to us.

That said - all of that taken into account and we are still in a position to win this game, though tight. The killers, in the end, turned out to be 4 mistakes which either threw away our own momentum or accelerated theirs.
Latrell's 2 kicks out on the full after they scored, and Ferguson's 2 identical handling errors after we scored. Add to that Gordon's amateurish ball snatch and tripping over his own feet on TMM's break. These were finals pressure errors. Chokes. Those 3 players all contributed good things but these were the mistakes that turned the tide.

We were poor all year and in the end got what we deserved. It was obvious from April-May that we lacked a killer instinct, a 4th or 5th gear, and were getting by on grit and freak plays when we should have been dominating games. Not once did we see an 80 minute performance. We couldn't even put away the Tigers with the effectiveness that some very poor Roosters sides have managed over the years. Every time there was a bigger prize on the line, like a shot at first place, we mentally collapsed. We should have covered the Cowboys comfortably. Make no mistake, this was a choke. This team is far closer to 2016 than 2013, despite the ladder position.

Where to from here? I'm not gonna hang Pearce and Friend or anyone else out to dry. We have one of the most talented rosters in the comp going into next year and anything less than a Grand Final will be considered a failure.
What is clear though, is tactically we need a revamp. Robinson and Pearce have run with a predictable attacking strategy that while usually effective has two major faults. Firstly, when we're up, we don't have enough variation to land the killer blows and put a score on. This, combined with our trademark complete lack of discipline, means we end up in close games that we should win comfortably far too often. A lot of this comes down to the kicking game and the under-use of our backline. We looked most effective when we gave Latrell and Tupou early and frequent ball. This is our x-factor combination.

A lot will hinge on Robinson, Pearce and Friend working together to rethink the way we attack. I don't think it's a stretch to say it will have an impact on all their careers going forward.
Robinson has to be disappointed with how we ended up. Another similar season and questions will be asked.
Pearce should have won Origin and should have played a Grand Final and on the back of that made the World Cup squad, instead here we are.
Friend is on the fringe of that squad but unless he adds to his game and improves his deicision making in the next season or two will never reach the potential people have predicted of him since he was young.

The other thing is playing Aubuhsson and Matterson in the centres also blunted our attack. It sent out a message that we were worried aboutr the Cowboys attack which would have bolsted theoir confidence. I agree regarding Tupou, if he coiuld not play the full 80 minutes he should nopt have been there, Manu should have played instead.

Valheru

Coach
Tedesco will add a lot next year, Gordon was good but Tedesco will add a lot more in attack.

As far as the backline goes, if all fully fit we have 2 options

1. Tedesco
2. Tupou
3. Latrell
4. Fergo
5. Gordon

OR

1. Tedesco
2. Tupou
3. Latrell
4. Manu
5. Fergo

Unless they are confident of someone else kicking goals consistently they have to go with option 1. Either way it looks much better than the patchwork with Aubo and Matterson. I felt sorry for Latrell last week with his 2 kicks out on the full but it is a lesson, he has a weapon boot and just has to kick it softer.

I thought the halves were fine this year but agree we need to change tactics for next year.

For me, Jake is under pressure, he came up with a few brain explosions this year and is nowhere near his 2013 self.

I said at the beginning of the year we were a ball playing/impact forward short of being competitive and it doesn't look like anything has changed for next year unless Radley or Butcher prove to fill that role. Cordner is world class and can stay at the roosters forever, JWH and Napa were passable this year without being spectacular so we will see what happens there next year.

Adam is right, you look at our squad and it is top 4 without breaking a sweat. I won't go as far as to say that anything less than a GF appearance is a failure given injuries can happen etc. (see 2015), but anything less than consistent high quality performances which should see us finish top 4 again will be considered a failure regardless of injuries and then serious questions will have to be asked.

Headless Chook

Juniors
As soon as Mitchell scored that try Robbo should have sent Tupou out there. ( or started him!!!) I mean, why not go to the well when it's on? They didn't test the Cows under the high ball out wide no where near enough. Could have really opened up a score.

That said, I agree with all that has been said and I'm relieved we won't be there to be murdered by the Storm. Good luck Cowboys, you're going to need it.

adamkungl

Immortal
That said, I agree with all that has been said and I'm relieved we won't be there to be murdered by the Storm. Good luck Cowboys, you're going to need it.

As far as silver linings go, not having to pay $300 to watch us lose another GF is a decent one

Reactions: OVP

OVP

Coach
Damn, forgot my points allocation

3. Aubs. For being such a Roosters legend and always trying his arse off.

That's it. The rest don't deserve any.

Did we even re-sign Fergo ?

One year extension.

My 3,2,1 is same as Tommy's

Got to say I'm surprised how lightly Pearce got off in this thread. Apart from his pet play of putting Cordner through, the merkin went missing. None of his kicks troubled the Cows back three either. Was hoping he'd put a repeat 2013 post Origin performance but sadly I think that'll remain his best season.

Keary I suspect wasn't entirely over his bout of food poisoning and lack of training may have reduced his match fitness.

Hard to add to what's already been said. Go Cows!

Reactions: OVP

Latest posts