What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preliminary Final - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 24th September 7:50pm @Accor Stadium

Steenson123

Juniors
We look a bit thin now. Only 1 prop on the bench too
Either Moale OR Suluka-Fifita should be on the bench. Is Suluka-Fifita injured?? Cleary's tactics are very simple: dominate forward play and hem opponents in their own 20 yard area. Still, we have to trust Demetriou knows what he is doing. If he wants more mobility and athleticism on the bench it must be for a reason.

Steenson123

Juniors
A
Bad news about AJ
Good news it isnt Mansour
And realistically if Alex is not healthy enough sit him otherwise we have a severe problem with him going off early. Kennar can play he just has to do it for one game. He did score three against Newcastle plus he has a sumo frame so he must take them on physically. Just do what Demetriou asks him to do.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Either Moale OR Suluka-Fifita should be on the bench. Is Suluka-Fifita injured?? Cleary's tactics are very simple: dominate forward play and hem opponents in their own 20 yard area. Still, we have to trust Demetriou knows what he is doing. If he wants more mobility and athleticism on the bench it must be for a reason.
DSF is injured

Steenson123

Juniors
Kent, like most others conveniently ignores the facts. By far the best post-season form has been Souths: 34 ppg for and only 13 ppg against in TWO contests. Plus holding Easts to a modest 14 points after having 11 men for 20 minutes. Easts had just won 9 straight and were a feared team entering the playoff phase. Holding any side to 14 after enduring 20 minutes with only 11 men is very difficult against any opponent. Our squad and the efforts they put in are continually ignored or abused: its always down to excuses the opponent had. As I stated previously, its going to come down to unforced errors and how the squad is physically. If those two boxes are ticked then we are right in it.

callmack1

Staff member
Jason Demetriou Coaches Media Prelim Finals: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/09/23/jason-demetriou-coaches-media-prelim-finals/

Great interview with JD! Extremely focused, extremely calm. Just something about the way he speaks to the media ahead of these big games gets me so fired up! Loved how he basically said he doesn't care if we're getting written off, people can write us off all they like but we are South Sydney. We'll go out there and have a crack!

The news on AJ wasn't good to come home and read. A big blow, a big disappointment. We certainly lose a lot there. However, it HAS to be next man up mentality and nothing changes. Kennar ain't a bad player and he has my full support. He just has to come in and do a job for one game. He can do that! Who knows? Could be a blessing in disguise in terms of our back three coming out of our own end? The guys is a tank so will really help with that against a side that builds their game on trapping teams inside their half. What's more, it's a bit of a size mismatch with Staines so if Cody, Trell and Tassy could somehow get Richie one-on-one close to the line, then that could be a great asset.

Gutted for AJ and it makes it harder for us, but this is the kind of game we need to look forward and look at who's there, rather than who's not.

Prelim Final Captain's Run: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/09/23/prelim-final-captains-run/

callmack1

Staff member
Triple treat - Kodi eyeing Grand Final, wedding, World Cup: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/09/23/triple-treat-kodi-eyeing-grand-final-wedding-world-cup/

Kennar ready for Cleary's bombs after Souths call up: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/09/23/kennar-ready-for-clearys-bombs-after-souths-call-up/

Latrell effect - How the hate plays right into Souths' hands and why his 'pain' should worry Panthers: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/3bdd135b8cfbf8f53256b5f37524936a

From Zero Tackle,

Team effort: Rabbitohs coach praises senior influence on 'special' young half

South Sydney Rabbitohs coach Jason Demetriou has shared an insight into the development of Lachlan Ilias ahead of the most important game of the 22-year-old’s career in the preliminary final showdown with Penrith.

Brought into a fierce spotlight as a replacement for Adam Reynolds at the start of the year, the Rabbitohs coach claims that it’s been the senior players in the Rabbitohs squad who should take the lion’s share of the credit for the young half’s incredible debut.

Though he’s had moments of doubt, particularly in the early stages, Ilias has all but secured the starting No.7 role at the club behind some increasingly noteworthy performances, and the coach says it’s the impact of the senior players on their young playmaker that’s made the difference.

“Lachie came in as a rookie pretty much, he’d only played one game at the end of last season. To do what he’s done this season has been pretty special,” Demetriou told SEN 1170 Afternoons.

“I’ve got to give credit to our senior boys, our spine in particular, for how they helped Lachie and have given him the confidence to go out there and do what he’s done.

“We aren’t congratulating ourselves too much at the moment, there’s a journey we’re still on and we haven’t reached that final destination yet.”

Ilias’ success is a small-scale representation of what Demetriou has been able to achieve with his Rabbitohs team this year, with few giving them a chance of replicating last year’s efforts following the departure of Wayne Bennett and Adam Reynolds in one fell swoop.

“That’s probably been the biggest lesson for all of us; the expectations or things that are written about in pre-season by experts, they have no bearing on whether we apply ourselves and what goes on every week for the 24 rounds,” Demetriou continued.

“The players have been outstanding. They’ve applied themselves and built our season really well. We’re playing good footy at the right time of the year and they’re writing their own story which is exciting to see.”

Rabbits20

Immortal

callmack1

Staff member
This is it. The time is now. The moment is now. Every moment since October last year has led to this, a Preliminary Final game day. My blood is boiling as we get a shot at knocking our rivals the Panthers out and going through to the Grand Final. It doesn't get much bigger than that. Everything we've worked for, all the blood, sweat, tears, all the heartbreak, all the glory has led us here. And we deserve to be here! No doubt our backs are against the wall with everyone writing us off and some of the injuries we have. They see this as an easy win to Penrith and a shoo-in that they make another Grand Final. But I think 17 men in the famous Red and Green jumper will have something to say about that. Our club is built on thriving when our backs are against the wall. They can write us off all they like but we are South Sydney..... and we are coming.

We've built up one hell of a rivalry with Penrith over the last three years and that all just adds to the occasion and adds to the spice of this Prelim. This is the fourth time we've met them in a Finals Series over the last three years and the ledger is 3-1 in their favor. They ended the dream in the 2020 Prelim and then knocked us off in that heartbreaking Grand Final last year. That pain still lingers and cuts deep, so we have to use that as fuel tonight. We don't want to feel that again, we want to do it to them and make them feel it. It's no secret I hate Penrith almost as much as the Roosters so to knock them off in a Prelim would be huge! I've never wanted to win a game against these smug pricks so bad.

In saying that, I'm under no allusions as to how hard it's going to be for our boys tonight. To win, it's going to take a performance for the ages. As much as I despise them, you do have to acknowledge they they've been the best side all year and appear to be so far ahead of everyone else. So, this is probably the biggest challenge we have faced in a number of years. They have one hell of a team lead by superstars like Cleary, To'o, Crichton, Edwards, Yeo, Fisher-Harris, Koroisau; The list honestly just goes on and on. Everywhere you look, there's a quality player there. They have so few weaknesses. But you know what, they ain't unbeatable and I'm praying we prove that tonight.

We can do it! I believe. I have so much belief in these boys that they can do anything they set their minds to. A lot has to go right for us tonight, but we are capable of doing it! It's all about making sure the occasion, the emotion, and the pressure doesn't get to us. Of course, in a Prelim, you want to be emotional, you have to be emotional in these big games but it's important we don't overcook it. Of course, use that revenge to motivate us but don't become clouded by it. It's a fine line to walk but I trust the squad and coaching staff to get it just right for this one. And I performance has to be near perfect. Minimise the dropped balls, match them through the middle, play some Footy to not get trapped in our end, take Cleary's bombs and keep that defence solid. We cannot gift them the opportunities we gifted Cronulla last week and they're not going to give us too many so they've gotta be taken when they're on offer. Can the boys hold their nerve and stand up? Time will tell.

This is all out war. With a GF on the line against one of our most despised teams, it's absolute war. We're on the edge of potential greatness and hopefully, our time has finally come. We all know the saying, "What we do in life echoes in eternity." This is your moment boys, go out there and take it!! Lesssshgooooooo!!!