What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preliminary Final vs Cowboys

Copperhead

Juniors
Panthers NYC coach Cam Ciraldo names his side to face the Cowboys for a place in the 2016 Holden Cup Grand Final.

NYC Panthers v NYC Cowboys
2.55pm Friday @ Allianz Stadium

1. Dylan EDWARDS
2. Ratu TUISESE
3. Christian CRICHTON
4. Braidon BURNS
5. Daniel BROWN
6. Tyrone MAY
7. Dean BLORE
8. Cowen EPERE
9. Soni LUKE
10. Oliver CLARK (c)
11. Kaide ELLIS
12. Corey WADDELL
13. Reed IZZARD

14. Wayde EGAN
15. Liam MARTIN
16. Thomson TUIGAMALA
17. Jack NELSON
18. Dylan FUAD

This thread got me excited for a second... and then I realised it wasn't Under 20's. For a second I thought Cronulla got booted out or something. As most are aware Cleary won't be playing:

Panthers halfback Nathan Cleary has all but ruled out a shock return to Penrith's Holden Cup side for next week's preliminary final against the North Queensland Cowboys.

The 18-year-old playmaker has spent the majority of 2016 playing in the NRL, but did feature in 10 matches in the NYC at the start of the season where he scored 156 points to incredibly still sit third on the points scorer list.

Cleary missed Penrith's Holden Cup premiership win in 2015 because of Australian Schoolboys duties, and while it would be fitting for him to re-join his mates to help them in their bid for back-to-back titles, it looks unlikely that he will be afforded an opportunity.

"I don't think I can go back to 20s, but I'll definitely be watching them," he said.

"I haven't really spoken to anyone about it but I've heard a few people say that I was ineligible so I suppose I'll find that out in the next few days. At this stage I don't think I can.

"If the opportunity came up [I would have been keen] but I think they're going pretty well at the moment so I don't really want to interrupt them."

It would be quite an achievement to make it and win again. 2 years straight. Shows how great the future should be.

tripster

Juniors
Crossing my fingers they get up. It is always good on grand final day to be able to go for the Panthers even if they aren't in the first grade decider!

Does anyone know if this game is available to watch online anywhere?

betcats

Referee
Strong team especially in the forwards. Agree re Tuigamala he is great, he looked fantastic last year then he wasn't getting much games for a lot of this season, he has locked down a spot over the back end though.

GongPanther

Referee
Strong 1st half although a couple of tries from the Cows came from unforced errors.Need to be menrally strong when the Cows players are trying to wind us up.Still,22-10 at half time is no way a comfortable lead,we should have this sewn up if we omit the errors in our game.

GongPanther

Referee
Izzard keeping the family tradition alive by knocking on with a huge overlap.Still 22-10 after 51:10.

GongPanther

Referee
panther player centre Burns sent off for 10 mins for professional foul after a long break by Cows.Cows on panthers line...and Cows are in...22-16 after 56 mins.

GongPanther

Referee
from the KO,cows players passes forward in goal...drop out..panthers attacking..soni luke drops the ball in going in from dummy half..

GongPanther

Referee
Panther goal line drop out...cows knock on...Burns back from sin bin in one minute.

22-16 after 63 mins.

GongPanther

Referee
68' Panthers knock on (again) near their line....this is working up to a Cows win if Panthers don't pull their finger out.panthers ball...

GongPanther

Referee
Flying winger Daniel Brown goes 80 meters from the scrum to score in the corner.

Conversion no good 26-16 after 74 minutes.

GongPanther

Referee
And another try to completely seal the game.Egan (Ted?) scores next to the posts which was beautifully set up by May...which is converted..32-16 with 3 minutes on the ticker.

GongPanther

Referee
Thanks for the updates GP. Good to see the young ones contest another GF.

A pleasure.

On averages this year..Panthers scored for 35...against...you guessed it...16.So today's score is on par...against the so called 2nd best side all year.

So we improved our average score by 3.And we had the worse game since the 22-14 loss in Rnd 24 V Tigers.

In fact,taking our errors out of this match,you can tack on at least another 18 points.

GongPanther

Referee
Would of been good if Ponga played

Not to mention Cleary..

Young Panthers cut down Cowboys

The NYC Panthers have powered their way into the 2016 Holden Cup Grand Final with a 32-16 victory over North Queensland Cowboys at Allianz Stadium on Friday.

Panthers NYC coach Cam Ciraldo made a late adjustment to his side with Wayde Egan moved into starting hooker and Soni Luke dropping to the bench. Fullback Kalyn Ponga was a late omission for the Cowboys, with his place in the starting side taken by Nathan Traill and Emry Pere added to the bench.

The Panthers opened the scoring in the 6th minute as Tyrone May found a well-timed inside ball to skipper Oliver Clark. The prop crashed over beside the posts and Dylan Edwards converted for a 6-0 lead.

After Edwards opened the Cowboys up with a quick tap and 80m burst, Cowen Epere hit a short ball at pace and crashed over for a 15th minute try. Edwards knocked the simple conversion over and the Panthers led 12-0.

Edwards was in everything early and claimed a try of his own three minutes later. With a penalty giving the Panthers field position, the fullback dummied and went himself to touch down in the tackle. The conversion attempt was successful and the Panthers lead pushed out to 18-0.

The props were proving adept at getting over the tryline and the Cowboys hit back in the 21st minute as big man Nicholas Brown powered through the Panthers defence to score. Cooper Bambling was on target with the conversion to make the score 18-6.

Panthers winger Ratu Tuisese claimed a try in the 29th minute as an offload from Christian Crichton took a fortunate deflection off a Cowboys defender. Edwards was unable to convert from out wide and the score remained 22-6.

The Cowboys hit straight back as winger Marcus Jensen got on the outside of Daniel Brown and powered his way down the sideline to score. Bambling’s attempted conversion was waved away, leaving the Panthers ahead 22-10 with five minutes until the break.

HALFTIME – Panthers 22-10

The Panthers were dealt a major blow as centre Braidon Burns was sin-binned for a professional foul in the 54th minute. From the next set Cowboys hooker Brandon Smith scurried out of dummy half to score beside the posts. A conversion from Bambling and the score was back to 22-16.

The Panthers bombed multiple opportunities to re-establish their two-try lead as Kaide Ellis lost possession with the line at his mercy, and Soni Luke was ruled to have dropped the ball with a scoot out of dummy half.

After a defensive arm wrestle that dominated the second stanza, out of nowhere Daniel Brown broke clean through the Cowboys line in the 72nd minute and sped his way to the right corner. Edwards couldn't convert from out wide and the score remained 26-6.

May iced the result with five minutes left as he ran the ball on the final tackle and somehow got a looping offload away for Egan to dive over. The conversion from Edwards put the Panthers up 32-16 and secured their place in the 2016 Grand Final.

FULLTIME - Panthers 32-16

http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2016/09/23/young_panthers_cut_d..html