What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiers !!!!!!!

Bazal

Post Whore
It's not true. The 09 premiership will go down as "Melbourne Storm-stripped for salary cap breach".

Someone

Bench
i dont see them ever re-gaining respect of anyone else again. clubs, players, coaches, fans wont forget this. they dominated the NRL since 2006 and everyone was amazed by the skill and the collection of players they had. Now thats gone...they are offically the most hated club in NRL because now 2 premerships are wasted and several years of hard work for other clubs are undone.

I dont see how they will recover. How many players will leave?

Forty20

First Grade
It's a catch 22...we didn't win the grand final so we shouldn't be awarded the premiership as we weren't the best team on the day.

However the team we were playing had a massive advantage over us (who wouldn't want what essentially amounts to an extra marquee player?) and we only lost by 7. How much is that marquee player worth?

Personally, no matter how desperate I am for a title...it wouldn't be the way to win it. Hopefully the news will put some fire in the bellies of all our boys who are backing up from the '09 grandfinal in this years tilt.

Also, what about the Leeds Rhinos? Should they get the World Club Championship title or does the same logic apply?

RockWheel

Bench
It's a catch 22...we didn't win the grand final so we shouldn't be awarded the premiership as we weren't the best team on the day.

However the team we were playing had a massive advantage over us (who wouldn't want what essentially amounts to an extra marquee player?) and we only lost by 7. How much is that marquee player worth?

Personally, no matter how desperate I am for a title...it wouldn't be the way to win it. Hopefully the news will put some fire in the bellies of all our boys who are backing up from the '09 grandfinal in this years tilt.

Also, what about the Leeds Rhinos? Should they get the World Club Championship title or does the same logic apply?

Yes but the thing is Melbourne were better than us on the day because they cheated to get into that position. Who knows what would've happened if they didn't cheat? Probably wouldn't have made the grand final. Us, on the other hand, made the grand final fairly. Not that I'm saying we should get the '09 premiership.

oldmancraigy

Coach
They shouldn't record the premiership as "Storm stripped" because that still validates their activitites.

The basic point of the salary cap is to fairly distribute talent amongst the clubs. A club who cheats this system has an unfair advantage and should not be recognised in any way shape or form.

The only FAIR thing to do is recall all premiership rings from the players involved, and reaward them to the 'runners up'

In the olympic games, if a player is found to be a drug cheat, their medal is passed down to the next in line. It ought to be the same in this scenario.

Melbourne are ineligible to be the premiers, so which team should it be? Naturally Manly and Parramatta step up to the plate in their respective years.

Unless there was a 3rd team involved in those grand finals?

If they allow the players to keep their rings, and only 'technically strip' the Storm, then it is a futile and feeble act. Do you think the average fan cares if their premiership is 'recognised' or not? I mean take the Dragons fans, those morons actually think their club has WON a premiership!?!? In actual fact they have 0 since that club came to fruition, but for some reason they all think they adopt the Dragons history.

Take the history away from the storm, and take the glory away from the players and PASS IT ON to the next in line, only then can you slap the cheats in the face and spit on any attempt to 'recognise' their cheating accomplishment.

Forty20

First Grade
Yes but the thing is Melbourne were better than us on the day because they cheated to get into that position. Who knows what would've happened if they didn't cheat? Probably wouldn't have made the grand final. Us, on the other hand, made the grand final fairly. Not that I'm saying we should get the '09 premiership.

If you would kindly read my second line of argument ;-)

If Cronk isn't criminally implicated, would love to see him in the blue and gold. Him doing with Hayne what he does with Slater :shock:

Djay

Juniors
i dont see them ever re-gaining respect of anyone else again. clubs, players, coaches, fans wont forget this. they dominated the NRL since 2006 and everyone was amazed by the skill and the collection of players they had. Now thats gone...they are offically the most hated club in NRL because now 2 premerships are wasted and several years of hard work for other clubs are undone.

I dont see how they will recover. How many players will leave?

I agree with you totally, Pretty much a waste of 2 seasons. On the other hand I still wouldn't be happy if they now claimed Parramatta as the 2009 Premiers, It just wouldn't be right.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So by us not getting the trophy we played all of last year for nothing???? Everyone played all year for no reason???? We ran 2nd by the rules, not sure why we shouldn't be awarded the Premiership they we're over by around 700k last year FFS.

Last edited:

Parra Guru

Coach
I feel for our players honestly because they will never get that day in their lives back and will always be left with the what ifs. The image of Hindy crying on Hayden's shoulder kills me every time.

It will be an empty premiership if it's awarded to Parra but I'm glad it's being stripped from the Storm. I hope they have to give the rings back.

tresurehunt

Juniors
i really feel for the fans of the storm,i dont think i could follow that team if they knowingly,admitting to cheating.look for nrl storm players to jump ship to afl,
a real sad day for the poorly run NRL.

attamarrap

Juniors
this is fing bullsh*t it really sucks for not just the eels but every team that missed out on playing finals footy the 2 teams that were beaten in the GF players like hindy cayless and burt who've toiled for so long it's just so disapointing

Hellsy

Immortal
I reckon they should be kept to 0 competition points for the 3 years they cheated.
I would not be happy accepting the 'premiership' though, that would be very hollow.